Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: tray icon stays red

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
usefulbells tray icon stays red
Member 6th May, 2013 16:07
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th May, 2013
System Score: N/A
I am using PSI 2.0 (by choice) on a pc and a laptop. On the pc, the tray icon stays red even when I have a 100% security score. (The program works correctly on the laptop.) I've visited old threads and tried every possible solution without success. I unistalled the program and reinstalled it several times. I never get a clean dashboard as my old results remain even with the cookies deleted. I am using Windows 7, Firefox and AVG free on both computers and all updates have been installed.

mogs RE: tray icon stays red
Expert Contributor 6th May, 2013 17:24
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@usefulbells

So, although you've got a 100% score showing....it refers to old results still showing ?
I may be reading it wrong....but it sounds like you havn't got a true up to date 100% score for the icon to indicate. If psi is scanning, it's not retrieving results from the servers maybe.
Have you checked thro' the settings in the FAQ here :-
The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?

To function correctly the Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers. If you experience any issues where the Secunia PSI cannot complete scanning or where the interface will not load and show you the detected programs, then please do the following.

Open the control panel.
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Click OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
Click Close then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.
Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.

If you are still having problems with the Secunia PSI, the services on which the Secunia PSI depends may have been disabled. To verify that they are running, type “Administrative tools” in the start menu search bar or open Administrative tools from the Control Panel.

Now click the Services tool, and verify that both the “Secunia Update Agent” and “Secunia PSI Agent” are listed and have their “Startup type” set to “Automatic”.

You might like to read thro' the following....if you havn't already :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by.........
I never get a clean dashboard as my old results remain even with the cookies deleted.

Do you mean that you are expecting the deletion of Secunia site cookies to make a difference to the psi application ?

Before I install psi....I clean out as much as possible....temp. files so on and so forth....it's often helped.

Regards........mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
usefulbells RE: tray icon stays red
Member 6th May, 2013 17:53
Score: 0
User Since: 6th May 2013
Secinia Update Agent does not appear in my list of services under administative tools in the control panel. Could this be the problrem and, if so, how do I resolve it?
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th May, 2013 18:15
@usefulbells

The following was put out by Support some time ago.....you might like to try it :-

Are you comfortable with working with the command line? You need to execute the file "sua.exe" in the PSI directory with "-i -L" parameters.

First, open "cmd" as an administrative user. In Vista and Windows 7, you can type "cmd" in the Start menu and then right-click the icon to launch with elevated priviliges.

Then enter this command for a 32-bit system:
cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI"
And this command for a 64-bit system:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

Please be sure to exclude both quotes.

Then, run
"sua.exe -i -L"

After restarting the PSI, it should now work.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Former helpers, please take note that if the "Secunia Update Agent" is missing from the list of services, that is almost positively the problem and should be addressed before other troubleshooting steps. Thank you kindly.

--
Kind regards,

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th May, 2013 18:28
@usefulbells

It might be worth reading thro' the following thread also....if you've not already had sight of :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/136...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th May, 2013 00:05
I followed your instructions for which I thank you and the Secunia Update Agent now appears in the list of services and is running but the tray icon is still red.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th May, 2013 06:44
@usefulbells

Have you since rebooted and carried out a full scan with psi ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th May, 2013 15:58
Yes and yes and the tray icon is still red.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th May, 2013 17:47
@usefulbells

Are you showing green on the dashboard of psi ? Are the scan results all in order ? Is the Last Scan date correct ? Have you got psi set to show detailed program changes in the Settings ? Have you tried toggling it on and off.....between scans ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th May, 2013 21:50
Yes to all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th May, 2013 22:47
@usefulbells

I'm all out of ideas I think.....it seems a bit drastic, given that everything is working bar the change to green of the icon......but a clean install is the only other thing I can suggest.
Being as you've installed/uninstalled a number of times.....I've found often, that clearing out everything psi Secunia, using Revo in Advanced, and manually deleting registry entries....and temp files with CCleaner....before installing...has made a difference.
I had an instance myself a week or so back, where psi 2.0 nor 3.0 would scan....Agent missing....I suspected that the User ID was corrupt : did as outlined above, and psi 2.0.0.3003 was back to normal. I've since moved to psi 3.0.0.7009 to try again : that too is working like a charm.

Sorry I can't be of more help..........regards.......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: tray icon stays red
Handling Contributor 7th May, 2013 22:52
Score: 11726
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Try a right click on Task Tray icon & select "close tray icon".

Now restart PSI via Start>All Programs>Secunia PSI

Has it gone green?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th May, 2013 01:43
No
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th May, 2013 03:11
I did everything mogs suggested. The clean install did result in a new dashboard with a 0% score which I did not get using the control psnel uninstall. I also install SUA (again) with cmd as previously instructed and I did a cold start and another scan all to no avail. I am sure there is a solution out there but until someone finds it, I will have to live with the red tray icon or disable it. Thanks for the responses.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th May, 2013 08:06
@usefulbells

Just a thought........have you checked your Firewall permissions ? I've got two entries for Secunia.....Secunia psi and Secunia psi Agent.
Could be worth lookin' at........hope so........regards.......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th May, 2013 19:04
Addes both psi and psia to allowed programs on firewall but that didn't work either.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th May, 2013 20:31
@usefulbells

Have you compared the UserID's in the Registry ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th May, 2013 20:58
@usefulbells

Have you seen this ?
MAY 08, 2013
Windows 7 patch KB 2670838 fries Firefox fonts
For users with font rendering problems in Firefox that can be traced to the problematic KB 2670838 patch, here's an easy fix
By Woody Leonhard | InfoWorldFollow @woodyleonhard
Print|Add a comment.

Windows 7 patch KB 2670838 fries Firefox fonts
I'm seeing more reports of an odd font rendering problem in Firefox: Random lines on a page have fonts with distinct color shifts, pixelating the characters into a "rainbow" that makes the lines nearly illegible. The problem occurs in multiple languages and with many different fonts. All of the reports I've seen can be traced to our favorite problematic Windows automatic update patch, KB 2670838.

More to read here :-
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windo...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th May, 2013 23:08
As you ca tell, I am not an expert in this. I went to regedit and under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/SECUNIA found this UserId for PSI:
TEuiSVvI10b6b741356dba820a2d09c96966003cf2389a6485 . There was no UserId for sua.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: tray icon stays red
Secunia Official 10th May, 2013 09:37
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
@usefulbells
It looks like you have tried all the steps that would normally solve this issue including these steps in our FAQ:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

If so, you are welcome to contact us at support@secunia.com and include the log file called “psialog.txt” which is located in your PSI folder. We can then create a bug report and perhaps get our developers to look into the issue at some point.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability