Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI stuck at "Updating" for all programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
jjprice1 PSI stuck at "Updating" for all programs
Member 7th May, 2013 23:38
Ranking: -2
User Since: 7th May, 2013
System Score: N/A
I was having a problem which I think must be fairly common, and I found a workaround that I thought I should share:

The Problem

I run PSI on 4 different Windows 7 systems on 2 different disconnected networks. On 3 of the systems, PSI has stopped updating programs. On each system, the history reports that the last successful update was around November 2012, and there are no history entries after that.

The PSI service is running, but the PSI tray icon is red and reports "You have programs that require manual updates". When the PSI application is launched it shows multiple programs that need updating and each one has a status of "Updating". None ever completes or fails.

In psialog.txt there are hundreds of "Setting state of '<program>' to: 'queued' from 'queued'" messages.

It is possible to perform all of the updates manually, and if a scan is performed afterwards the affected programs will show up as up-to-date, but performing that update from within PSI is not possible.

I had tried all of the fixes recommended in the forum for similar problems, but none worked.

The Workaround

1. Open Windows Task Manager
2. End the processes psi.exe, psi_tray.exe, psia.exe, and sua.exe
3. In Explorer or a command prompt, go to the folder "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Secunia\PSI" or "%ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI" (depending on your system.)
4. Delete or rename the "SUA" sub-folder.
5. From the Windows Start menu, open "Secunia PSI".
6. PSI will launch and be able to update your programs.

I have no idea what causes this problem, but I would humbly suggest that the developers fix it as soon as possible.

Post "RE: PSI stuck at "Updating" for all programs" has been selected as an answer.
E.Jeppesen RE: PSI stuck at "Updating" for all programs
Secunia Official 8th May, 2013 11:46
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Thank you very much for sharing your information about auto-updates in PSI 3. I would like to add that we have just released a new version of PSI 3 which seems to have solved most issues of auto-updates getting stuck.
LeendertKip PSI stuck at "Updating" for all programs
Member 8th May, 2013 13:12
Score: 4
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
Last edited on 8th May, 2013 13:12
Hi Emil, I understood that there was a new version of PSI today. However, after installing it's
still 3.0.0.7009. Is this correct?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 8th May, 2013 13:18
I may have been a bit unclear in my last post. I was actually referring to the PSI release from last week. The change log will show you the details.
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/
mogs RE: PSI stuck at "Updating" for all programs
Expert Contributor 14th May, 2013 20:52
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hey...that's really neat ! Just carried out install of the Windows Updates and scanned using psi 3.0.0.7009. Instead of......as was usual, with psi 2.0.....scanning every program again (as was already at 100% ).......psi just scanned for the updates....much quicker.
I must admit I'm liking this version psi 3.0......thankyou Secunia.......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
inkfrog RE: PSI stuck at "Updating" for all programs
Member 15th May, 2013 11:03
Score: 0
User Since: 15th May 2013
I installed Secunia PSI 3 and it is getting stuck on updating. I followed the instructions listed in the first post above but the Secunia PSI is still getting stuck on updating.

Secunia PSI Version 3.0.0.7009
Windows 7 64-bit

Please advise.

Thank you!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 15th May, 2013 12:21
@inkfrog
The creator of a thread can close the thread whenever he sees fit, so I recommend that you create your own thread. When you do, please let us know which program or programs you are trying to auto-update.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability