Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player 10.3

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 10.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
henry8th Adobe Flash Player 10.3
Member 23rd May, 2013 22:12
Ranking: 4
User Since: 23rd May, 2013
System Score: N/A
I have to use an older version (currently using 10.3.183.68) of Adobe Flash Player in order for flash player to work with the current version of the Firefox browser. I imagine that others in the community have the same issue. My question is does Secunia PSI scan this older version of Flash Player for security vulnerabilities and suggest updating to versions of 10.3 that Adobe releases to fix vulnerabilities?

Vista Home Premium 32 bit

--
Mister P

Post "RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.3" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.3
Handling Contributor 24th May, 2013 09:09
Score: 11830
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What information is PSI giving you about the Flash on the scan result page? Does it state End of Life? The version you have installed is not supported by Adobe:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-fl...

Firefox version 21.0.0.4879 works perfectly with Adobe Flash 11.7.700.202 on my test PC.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.3
Contributor 24th May, 2013 19:49
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Hello all

For what it's worth-gotta agree with you
Maurice. As a long time user of Firefox & AFP
I've never had a compatibility problem
between the 2. Maybe it's another program creating
the problem in Ff or AFP.

Currently using the version of AFP that you listed
Maurice with Firefox v17.0.6ESR-both are current versions & I'm not experiencing any problems.

Good luck on solving this one.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.2.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
henry8th RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.3
Member 24th May, 2013 20:24
Score: 4
User Since: 23rd May 2013
Last edited on 24th May, 2013 22:44
Under Firefox help, the second hot topic subject is "adobe flash plugin has crashed-prevent it from happening again". It offers the solution of downgrading to version 10.3 if upgrading to the latest flash version doesn't work, so there must be many others with this problem. For whatever reason, this is the only solution that works on my computer (Vista problem?). My Secunia icon is green. In the past, Secunia has shown when the version of 10.3 I'm using has a security vulnerability and an update to a secure version of 10.3 is available. Apparently, Secunia is aware people are having to use this older version of flash and Adobe is still doing security updates to this version. My purpose in bring up this thread is that I wanted to confirm that Secunia is still monitoring this version (scans are not showing any Flash vulnerabilities, but I haven't seen an alert in a while) and if so to let the community know of this solution to this Flash crashing problem in Firefox. Please, let me know if these broad assumptions are correct. You know what they say if you assume... Oh, the scan results page for AFP shows patched. I just clicked on your adobe link and notice they refer to 10.3 as an "extended support release version". I hadn't noticed that before. Perhaps this answers why my Secunia score is 100 % even using this old version of AFP.
Thanks!

Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 Firefox 21.0
Toshiba Satellite
Windows OS

--
Mister P
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.3
Expert Contributor 24th May, 2013 23:29
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 24th May, 2013 23:33
Hi ,

Looks like Adobe are going to phase out support/security updates for 10.3 in a month or so ; you will need to keep an eye out or hopefully the PSI will tell you :-

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2013/05/extende...

EDIT; this link indicates that the latest 10.3 version is .86 (of 14/05/2013) and not .68 as you report :-

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-fl...

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th May, 2013 00:28
Thanks Mr. Wells
Can I assume that the version of 10.3 I am using is secure even though it is not the latest release of 10.3, since Secunia shows 100 % and doesn't show updates available unless the version being used is insecure? Is Secunia keeping up with this issue of multiple supported versions of Adobe Flash Player from the current version to archived supported versions? It seems that they are, but I just want to be sure as the bad guys are always trying to find a way into ones computer.

A little off the Secunia thread, but does anyone know why some Firefox users are having this issue with Adobe Flash Player and not being able to use the current version of AFP?

Thanks

--
Mister P
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.3
Dedicated Contributor 25th May, 2013 17:38
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
According to Adobe Security Bulletins, the version of Flash Player you are using has vulnerabilities.
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/ap...
Download latest version from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/c...

Have you tried the latest versions of Firefox and Flash Player? I have had problems with Flash Player 11 on several versions of Firefox (to the point that I stopped using Firefox) but the current releases have been stable.

You can also turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox and Flash Player and Protected Mode in Firefox. (Instructions in http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/955929). Make sure you have the latest graphics driver installed.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.3
Expert Contributor 25th May, 2013 20:26
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello again ,

Further to ddm's reply , I would suggest you contact Secunia direct at support@secunia.com and ask them to update their detection rules for 10.3 - they will be back at work on the PSI tomorrow (Monday) morning (CET) - to ensure the latest vulnerabilities are displayed ..

Refer to this thread .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th May, 2013 23:28
Thanks for all your input and help. I tried the latest version of AFP, 11.7.700.202, and, not surprisingly, videos would not play, only crash. I did update to the latest version of 10.3 (10.3.183.86) which works on my computer fine to get the security fix and also e-mailed support @secunia.com requesting that they review and monitor the situation and update detection rules if needed.

Again Thanks!

--
Mister P
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+