xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: does PSI scan the system on system startup?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
gwa000 does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Member 27th May, 2013 04:19
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 27th May, 2013 04:21

Secunia PSI version: 3.0.0.7009

does PSI actually scan the system after booting the system? i do have the option "Start on boot" selected. the reason i ask is that the PSIA.exe task runs at 25% (with a quad processor). running Process Monitor seems to indicate that this is the case as i see all sorts of hard drives and directories being accessed. plus my hard drive LED stays lit solid for minutes so i'm pretty sure the PSI is actually doing a scan.

but i would just like a confirmation.

thanks!

mogs RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Expert Contributor 27th May, 2013 04:46
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@gwa000

Hello.
Psi doesn't scan at boot....but it does begin to monitor for any changes in the security state of your programs....on the drives that you've selected.
You decide when to do a manual scan or to let psi scan automatically on a seven day cycle. The first auto scan will be seven days after the manual scan, and will continue until such time as you wish to change it.....by a manual scan at a time of your choosing.

Hope that helps.....regards........mogs.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gwa000 RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Member 27th May, 2013 16:30
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
it must be doing something more than just "beginning to monitor for any changes in the security state of your programs". i see PSIA.exe hitting all of the drives big time (for those that i have selected in the Settings) and it goes on for 5 - 10 minutes. if i reboot 30 minutes later the same scenario occurs so it is not like it is doing its weekly scan.

is it possible that it is scanning every drive to see what programs are out there so that they can be added to its "watch for changes" list?

i've turned off the "Start on boot" option and i do not see the heavy disk I/O immediately after booting. when i do start up PSI manually now i see PSIA.exe accessing all of the monitored drives but it finishes within 30 seconds.

i guess i'll just fire up PSI periodically manually to do my scans. i was never a big fan of it determining when to do its scan anyway as on my older system it would always occur at the most inopportune time. Secunia really needs to add a "scheduling option" as to when the scan should be done.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Handling Contributor 27th May, 2013 18:54
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
There is a way of determining exactly what PSI does at boot on your PC which,from my tests, is indeed more than previously described.

Just before you shut down the PC open PSI & reactivate "Start at Boot".

Close the PSI tray icon.

Right click the Start Orb>Open Windows Explorer>Program Files (or Program Files(x86)>Secunia>PSI

By clicking on PSI you will see two log files in the right hand pane - delete them.

Close down.

After the next start up new log files are created. That will show you exactly what PSI does at boot.

It can also be used to troubleshoot if it reveals any issues.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Expert Contributor 27th May, 2013 19:08
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
@gwa000
I tried the latest version, 3.0.0.7009, a couple of weeks ago....set to start at boot and monitor changes with detail......I must admit, it ran much more smoothly than what you are describing.
It will check for changes and would notify you of those it detects....also any additions you may have installed which it recognizes ( when set to do so )..... Have you tried just setting it to scan the C drive first....then adding another.....to see how it reacts perhaps ? It might be a worthwhile exercise..............regards.......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

LarsLjungdahl

RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
GeorgeYves RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Member 1st Jun, 2013 12:11
Score: 3
User Since: 9th Feb 2012
I am also forced to join the complaint on the behaviour of the program when I start my computer.

I have ASUS X51RLseries notebook with Duo T2370 CPU. My OS is Windows Vista Home Basic SP2 with all latest updates. My Internet connection is DSL. The PSI's version is 3.0.0.7009.

When I start my computer, I have my Internet connection off. I also noticed a great increase of system load with this version of PSI. My Anvir Task Manager shows that at that time PSIA.exe consumes from 37% to 45% of CPU. The tray icon turns gray and shows the pop-up with the warning that there is no internet connection. As soon as I turn the Internet connection on the PSI's consumption drops to 13-17% of CPU. If I try to start my computer with the Internet connection on, I notice a great increase in HDD activity and my computer can hang for 3-5 minutes.

So I come to the conclusion that at the system startup PSI devours my CPU resources trying to verifying the state of Internet connection and simultaneously it tries to update its database of the software installed on my notebook. As a result of this frenzied activity of the program I have to wait for 2-3 minutes after the computer startup before I can start working.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
joe schmoe RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Member 1st Jun, 2013 21:22
Score: 41
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
on 1st Jun, 2013 12:11, GeorgeYves wrote:
I am also forced to join the complaint on the behaviour of the program when I start my computer.

I have ASUS X51RLseries notebook with Duo T2370 CPU. My OS is Windows Vista Home Basic SP2 with all latest updates. My Internet connection is DSL. The PSI's version is 3.0.0.7009.

When I start my computer, I have my Internet connection off. I also noticed a great increase of system load with this version of PSI. My Anvir Task Manager shows that at that time PSIA.exe consumes from 37% to 45% of CPU. The tray icon turns gray and shows the pop-up with the warning that there is no internet connection. As soon as I turn the Internet connection on the PSI's consumption drops to 13-17% of CPU. If I try to start my computer with the Internet connection on, I notice a great increase in HDD activity and my computer can hang for 3-5 minutes.

So I come to the conclusion that at the system startup PSI devours my CPU resources trying to verifying the state of Internet connection and simultaneously it tries to update its database of the software installed on my notebook. As a result of this frenzied activity of the program I have to wait for 2-3 minutes after the computer startup before I can start working.

Looks like this is much the same scenario here: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/141...

and here: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/141...

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gwa000 RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Member 1st Jun, 2013 22:26
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
As the original poster it looks like the two issues that I observed might be due to two different causes. The high CPU (25% in my case on a quad processor) sounds like it could be related to continually trying to connect to the Internet. In my case I do have an "always on" connection so I'm not sure based on other posts why mine should be so high.

Even if this is the case I'm not sure why PSI needs to connect to the Internet if I'm not doing a scan. But there is no reason why the CPU should be so high unless the software is in a tight loop trying to perform some task. Even then they could issue a "sleep" to alleviate this condition.

As far as the heavy I/O I see which others have not confirmed it may be that I have 6 drives that are being monitored. Even then I'm not sure what PSI is doing at boot up. Disabling the "start on boot up" option has solved my problem although I do manually have to remember to do a manual scan, at a time when I do not need the system.

Hint to developers: If you want a pleasant customer experience (even if the software is free!) please reconsider how the software behaves at boot up. There are too many programs nowadays that all feel they have to do something at boot up. PSI could provide an option to delay whatever processing they are doing (if even needed) for a specified time period.

It would also be nice to have a scheduling option for the scans. On my old (and much slower) system the software decides when to do a scan, usually at the most in opportune time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GeorgeYves RE: does PSI scan the system on system startup?
Member 1st Jun, 2013 23:17
Score: 3
User Since: 9th Feb 2012
Last edited on 1st Jun, 2013 23:19
on 1st Jun, 2013 21:22, joe schmoe wrote:
Looks like this is much the same scenario here: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/141...

and here: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/141...

Yes, it is. This is the same scenario.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+