Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: No notifications of needed updates from 2.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be No notifications of needed updates from 2.x
Member 4th Jun, 2013 20:31
Ranking: 11
User Since: 10th Jul, 2012
System Score: 97%
PSI 2.0.0.4003; Windows Home Premium 64-bit.

Secunia PSI Tray loads on computer boot, and "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" is selected in PSI.

I do not get any notifications when programs need updating. For example, I just opened PSI, which stated that Adobe Air should be updated. The only reason I found that is that I manually opened PSI and looked a at the last scan result.

PSI shows that the last scan was run today, at 0701; it is now 1227, with no notification from that scan. This is not the first time that this has occurred; I've found that updates were needed several days after the last scan, and, again, I only found those by opening PSI.

mogs RE: No notifications of needed updates from 2.x
Expert Contributor 4th Jun, 2013 21:30
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be

Hadn't the tray icon changed from green to red ? Have you got psi configured to show detailed program changes ? I'm using 2.0.0.3003....so can't confirm anything with regards to your findings......maybe you just missed sight of the notification ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Who_Did_I_Used_To_Be RE: No notifications of needed updates from 2.x
Member 4th Jun, 2013 21:41
Score: 11
User Since: 10th Jul 2012
Hmm, it is never green!

For example, after I updated the one program shown to need updating, PSI has changed from 99% to 100% rating, but the icon continues to be red.

I thought something was wrong, but after all the gyrations i had gone through recently to get working versions of PSI on both the 32-bit and 64-bit computers, that the icon should be green had escaped me. I have no idea how long it has been since I have seen a green PSI icon.

I don't recall seeing it green on the 32-bit machine, which is something that I need to look into. That is my wife's computer, and as I need to do the weekly run of MalwareBytes, I will wake up that computer, and check PSI as well as running the scan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jun, 2013 22:01
It might be worth you reading thro' the following thread which pertained to psi 2.0 and an issue with the red icon :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/141...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jun, 2013 22:24
Thanks, mogs, but I had already read ("red"?) that thread more than once, with no improvement. As it happens, as I was at the 32-bit machine, I remembered a discussion about the always-red problem, and that was the link you provided.

Both computers are now at 100%, and both have red icons. Further contemplation while updating the 32-bit led me to the realization as to why I don't receive notifications from the PSI icon: On both machines, the icon is set to only show notifications, as as on both computers, the icon's default is red, there is nothing to cause a notification. If red is "normal," then even when PSI detects out-of-date programs, there is no change in the icon's status, hence no notification.

I greatly regret having ever installed PSI 3.x: On both computers, PSI was running correctly before that, and now neither is working properly, and I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to return to the status anti quo
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jun, 2013 22:49
I've tried psi 3.0 a few times.....and back again to 2.0.0.3003.....I do regularly use a registry scanner tho' and different cleaners.
You mentioned that you've got psi set to ( only show notifications ).....does that mean not set to show details of the changes ? You did try toggling the setting ?

I can only suggest that you contact Support, as suggested in the last post on the link....supply the log file requested and ask if there's been any progress from previous bug reports.

Sorry I can't be of more help........regards......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jun, 2013 23:05
Last edited on 4th Jun, 2013 23:19
No, I was referring to the Windows Notification Customization setting, not to the PSI ones. I've changed the PSI settings, just to see if anything changes, but it will probably require a restart for changes, if they are to have any effect to become active.

As far as submitting support requests and logs, well, given that I have done that several times to no avail, I'm loathe to do so again. Submit a report; get a reply, submit another, change install, submit a report, receive no further replies after the first one, why bother?

As always, thanks for your efforts.

==
Restarted both the PSI program and tray; icon remains in its permanent state of somnolence, being quite unaware that it ought to change from red to green.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jun, 2013 23:27
Are the drives to be scanned the same for both computers ? I remember...you run them as a Windows network with two firewalls...is that right ? Have you got...had....any Ignore rules in place ? Is there the possibility of a conflict there ?
For instance....if one is sleeping and has a vulnerability..........
I've found thro' the years, that psi issues are often "symptomatic" of something wrong elsewhere.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jun, 2013 23:43
Two computers on a local WiFi, with each having its own firewall, no ignore rules created by me, no known vulnerabilities on either through firewall, anit-virus, Malwarebytes, Super AntiSpyware, Perfect Guard anti-rootkit, no known problems or conflicts except for PSI (all other programs work correctly, when both computers awake HomeGroup works, can print to either of two printers on either computer wirelessly, etc.)

In the famous words of the King of Siam, "Is puzzlement."
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2013 00:05
Picking up from the previous thread when you installed IE9.....I've had two pints of India Pale Ale recently !!.......have you checked all the settings in both IE9's since then......Possibly because that issue was resolved....maybe not ? Are the settings in both identical ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jun, 2013 00:33
I did look at the IE settings a few weeks ago; they are correct. Anyway, as both PSI installations can reach the Secunia servers, I don't think that the problem(s) lie there--but then, where it/they are, that I don't know.

I have two different IPAs, both American, at home right now, along with four bottles of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, one of the Macallan--and NO, I am not a big drinker. That last bottle, for example, is likely to last a few years.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2013 12:56
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2013 13:06
So the little red rooster is still comatose.....or it's half asleep ? Have you tried removing a program to see if it notifies of the change/details.......is it just that it's not registering your 100% score with the change of colour ?
Have you tried going into your profile on the forum and ticking the box...located beneath the Signature box..
System Score. Show my System Score.....see what transpires ?

Edit
You stated previously that you'd checked your IE settings......but sometimes they can get altered.....a couple of weeks since......it's got to be worth checking again.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jun, 2013 17:02
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2013 18:41
I deleted a program, rescanned, PSI icon gives no information whatsoever, and, of course, remains red.

Okay, as you insist, I'll check IE settings, after I go for a run, perhaps after I do some caulking of the seventeen double-pane glass windows on the south side of our direct-gain passive solar house, the windows I keep threatening to replace with bookcases, so that the perhaps more than 2500 books in boxes would have a better place to live.

5K run later, IE settings correct, icon unresponsive.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2013 19:04
Psi cannot report 200%....the way you're running the pc's together.....they'll both scan, but are broken/divided when it comes to reporting via the icon ? You're wife has/has not got a profile on the forum ? You'll have the same problem whatever version of psi you use ? What d'ya think ?

Have you looked at/thought of the Secunia/Small Business solution ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jun, 2013 19:31
No, I am NOT running two scans together, nor is PSI reporting 200%; it reports 100% for each of two machines, separately.

Once again, I repeat that this worked in the past, with two computers running on our local WiFI, and with Home Group is use when both computers are awake.

The failure has NOTHING to do with the way I have PSI set up, which is proven by the fact that it worked properly with PSI 2.x on both computers, and FAILED after I installed PSI 3.x (probably on both, but I'm not sure of that, it having been too long ago to remember for certain.)

What do I think? Clearly, that it is PSI that is at fault. No, my wife does not have a profile on the forum, as she would have no use for one, and, without her having one, PSI used to work correctly on both computers.

No, I've not looked at other Secunia programs: Given that PSI 2.x used to work properly, I don't want to install, and eventually pay for, a program that is good for up to fifty computers. We have only had two computers for around one and a half years, the previous thirty or so years being limited to one; at that rate, it would take quite a long time to get to fifty.....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2013 21:12
Sorry....you've misunderstood me in part....or I wasn't clear enough probably. The point is....if you were to Show System Score on your posts to the forum.....what/which score would it report ?

Have you retrieved the psi UserID on both computers ? I'm just wondering with all the changes in versions you've made if it's set up a conflict. Perhaps it worked okay in the beginning with neither registered ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jun, 2013 21:30
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2013 21:36
I have not the foggiest idea what system score is, but I just checked it in my PSI profile. i assume, but don't know, that if this works, it will be reporting from the 64-bit computer, as that is the one I use for this forum.

Yes, the two UserIDs are quite different. Going back to my starting to use the 64-bit computer, after a while I realized that PSI was scanning both computers, so I set up my account here to ask what the problem was.

Someone quickly told me about the PSI UserIDs in the Windows Registry, not something with which I was familiar. I checked, and found the same ID on both machines, and figured out why: I hd used a program to transfer programs, files, etc., from the 32-bit to the 64-bit computer, and that transferred the 32-bit's ID to the 64-bit computer, so i reinstalled PSI 2.x on the new machine, and that solved the problem.

That is why I am quite certain that 2.x used to work properly on both computers, as,having reinstalled PSI 2.x, it then worked on both computers.

==
I posted this, to see if my system score wold be reported. It was, sort of. Why do i put it that way? PSI, on both computers, shows a score of 100%, but here it (my computer presumably,) shows a score of 97%--and that must be why the PSI icon is stuck on red. The icon itself is stuck!

I'm tempted to remove the PSI icon, take it outside, and hit it with my 10-lb (4.5 kg) sledge hammer to unstick it....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2013 21:38
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2013 21:52
Well....as you can see System Score on the left of your post is not showing 100%. That at least explains why one icon is red.
You do not need to register the psi to use it nor the forum.

Edit

It might be best to do fresh installs on both computers but don't retrieve User ID's. You'll still have your profile on the forum.
That may untangle a few things......try re-booting after re-installing......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jun, 2013 21:56
Last edited on 5th Jun, 2013 22:41
I had more or less, mostly less, resigned myself to reinstalling yet again, for the `xteenth' time, after seeing the forum report of 97%, sigh.

==
Downloaded 2.x installer; ran same on two computers, restarted two computers, manually installed Secunia Update Agent Service on two computers (which failed to install automatically as usual on two computers,) noted on two computers that as soon as reinstall was completed, PSI RED icon appeared, restarted two computers, saw RED icon on two computers, rescanned two computers which both indicated 100%, saw two RED icons, one per machine, glad I wasted so much time with a failed program,.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2013 22:49
Did you leave off the User ID's ? Have you tried re-booting before scanning ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jun, 2013 23:06
How can you leave off the UserID? PSI won't run without that, according to the troubleshooting file, as far as I recall.

I did not rescan until after rebooting.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jun, 2013 23:35
My fault.....I meant, did you leave the Secunia Community Profile panel empty/blank in Configuration on the Dashboards of both psi ? If you havn't, that ties both to the same user.
You stated earlier you had the same user ID's......I think something is jammed up there.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jun, 2013 23:58
1.I've never used the Community Profile; in fact, until I read your correction, I had never even clicked on that setting in PSI.

2. You did not understand what I wrote: Yes, I did have the same UserID on both computers, after I had copied programs, etc., from the 32-bit machine to the 64-bit one. When someone on this forum told me about the existence of PSI UserIDs, I then checked the two machines and found them to be identical as the one from the 32-bit computer had been copied to the 64-bit one, I reinstalled PSI 2.x on the 64-bit computer, which fixed that problem.

In addition, as I wrote earlier today, I checked the Registry and found two completely different UserIDs on the two machines. (I've not checked that since carrying out today's reinstall, but doubt very seriously that I would find the two IDs to be alike.)

The only thing "jammed up" is PSI itself.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jun, 2013 00:06
So what is showing in both the Secunia Community Profile panels in psi/s ? Are they different ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jun, 2013 00:42
on 6th Jun, 2013 00:06, mogs wrote:
So what is showing in both the Secunia Community Profile panels in psi/s ? Are they different ?

Given that, until a short while ago, I had never even clicked on the panels, well, I guess one could say that they are identical, as they are both blank.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jun, 2013 07:28
I think what I'd try if I were you....is removing the psi from one of the machines using Revo in Advanced mode which checks for any left over files....pieces of the jigsaw in the registry. After having done that... re-boot....and let's see if that changes anything before re-installing yet again.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jun, 2013 17:50
Last edited on 6th Jun, 2013 17:51
With the 32-bit computer asleep, I ran Total Install on the 64-bit one, removing any and all traces of PSI. I then rebooted and reinstalled PSI 2.x; before opening PSI, I manually installed the Update Agent Service.

I then ran PSI, which reported 100%.

I then, of course, had a RED PSI tray icon.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Jun, 2013 01:18
I'd have liked to have seen what would have happened ( if anything ); to the System Score shown on your posts....if you'd have removed the psi from the one, and scanned with the other.
I don't know where Secunia picks the System Score up from.....direct from the UI or via the icon. If it's via the icon and they're both defunct.....why is that stuck at 97% and not 100 or 0 % ?

It seems we can't be absolutely sure which of the machines Secunia is choosing in preference to report.....you stated yourself that you "presumed" it to be your's....the 64 bit ? But both Community Profiles are still blank ? Again....I would like to see what happens to the System Score with only one psi installed and tied to the forum. For all I know the 97% is historical....the last time it worked ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jun, 2013 16:19
The next thing I was going to try, after deleting and reinstalling on the 64-bit machine was to remove PSI from the 32-bit, then rescan on the t64-bit, which I had not done. Your reply reminded me to so do.

After the removal and rescan, the icon on the 64-bit is, of course, still red. I remain suspicious that the install of PSI 3.x has left something on both computers which is interfering with 2.x, but what that might be, where it might be, etc., I have obviously no idea whatsoever.

I'm also somewhat surprised that no one from Secunia has responded to this rather lengthy thread. I guess I'll have to submit a support request.

I am going to post this, to see what the percentage is reported.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Jun, 2013 16:54
It just {might} jog something, if when removing one, you make sure the remaining psi is tied to the forum by filling in the user profile on that psi.....before scanning. If you could just get some recognition of the current System Score ( on the forum ) on one of them. I'm tending to think it's a registry corruption problem that continues despite installs etcetera......
I think you'd be better off scrubbing the registry of anything Secunia and installing one psi with the profile linked to the forum before you go any further, If you could get one working properly first.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jun, 2013 17:37
While I have not the foggiest idea why creating a community profile might help, I've done so, scanned once again, so that I could see the red icon, which I can see.

As for removing all Secunia references in the Registry, that, too, has occurred to me, especially given my suspicion about the use of PSI 3.x being the root cause of the dreaded red icon.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jun, 2013 22:19
Last edited on 9th Jun, 2013 22:44
Using psi 2.0.0.3003 on my Vista machine......the 50 character User ID string appears three times in the registry......HKEY_CURRENT_USER.....Software...... Secunia......PSI.......UserID
and........
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE..........SOFTWARE......Secunia. .....PSI...Internal and PSIA.......both.

Recently, I've ceased from running psi at boot....havn't noticed too much of an improvement in performance.....but the icon still turns quickly to green when I do start up.

Do your registry entries appear to be in order ?

EDIT.
Another thing which occurred to me.......I know you stated you'd checked settings in IE9 but that Firefox in both instances was your preferred default browser (?)......have you checked that also to be true in the Registry/s.....HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.....http......she ll.....open......command.............There's no sign of conflict there ?
EDIT2
The space appearing in "op en" above is not of my making....but it won't seem to correct itself.
EDIT3
Now it's showing broken in "she ll" !!! I give up !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jun, 2013 23:11
I know why there are spaces in your reply, as you are spacey: Why else would I have received six emails about that reply, with time stamps ranging from 2:19 to 2:44 PM?

As for the text of your reply, I shall have a look at my Registry before and after removing PSI yet again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jun, 2013 23:39
I don't know why you got six e mail reminders.....one for the post and three EDITS.....hand up to four !!
What did you mean by "spacey" ?.....I may use punctuation....but there's no sand nor cosmic dust 'tween my fingers !! Ha !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jun, 2013 23:52
Last edited on 9th Jun, 2013 23:53
Exercise In Futility: Remove PSI, remove Registry entries for Secunia, reboot, reinstall PSI, scan with PSI, get 100% score, get RED icon.

No Registry conflict for Firefox being default browser.

PSI community setup gone, may leave it that way.

==

Note 97% score: I wonder if there is a hidden Secunia file that needs to be removed? I'm not going to start searching for one, I've already wasted entirely too much time with this absurd mess.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Jun, 2013 00:16
I don't know about any additional files needing to be removed.....with all that might get written to disc over time tho'.......as I've stated before ; I've used a registry scanner for a number of years.
In some ways you seem to be reluctant to do as I suggested........Tie one psi to the forum.....get one alone working first......not when another is still active nor sleeping.....
You didn't mention either the findings of User ID in the Registry....before nor after.
I agree....it is a bit of a muddle....but I'm not at all sure it's of Secunia's making......I think you need to sort out one psi before tying the knot with the other too quickly.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jun, 2013 13:46
1. As I have written, I now have PSI installed on only one computer, the 64-bit one, so your comment that I am reluctant to get only one working is incoorect.

2. There is only one UserID; it is there when PSI is installed, not there after PSI is removed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Jun, 2013 21:42
Is the User ID present in the three registry locations I posted "earlier" ? Do your findings agree with mine ? Between installs.... do you clear out temporary files/folders etc.....do you use Total every time or let Secunia remove the "older" version ? Surely anything psi 3.0 could have contributed to, is now history, if registry and disc are in order ?
Do you use even a "soft brush" on the registry.....like CCleaner's reg scan ?
Does CHKDSK ever come in of it's own accord at boot ? Lost/orphaned/unindexed.....you're on top of all that ?
I've not noticed it so much lately....but I used to have a lot more fragmentation of Secunia files....do I remember you having the facility to boot-time defrag ?
Another thought.....maybe it might get something moving if you set IE at default on the 64bit ( for the time being ).....it seems that if your using a Windows network....it might be a plus.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jun, 2013 22:08
Last edited on 10th Jun, 2013 22:27
1.I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium; the only UserID is exactly where the Secunia troubleshooting thread says it ought to be.

2. I have used both Total Uninstall and Secunia's uninstaller, the one that runs when you run the PSI installer program with an existing copy of PSI installed. I've done both methods several times each. While I do run CC Cleaner to remove temporary files, etc., i don't know that I have don so directly before running the PSI installer. I'll try that..

3. I ran CC Cleaner's Registry scan a few days ago; if found not a single problem with Secunia, as far as I could tell.

4. I have never seen Chkdsk come on without my telling it to. The few times I have run it, no problems have been reported.

5. Perfect Disk always runs, so fragmentation of files ought not be a problem.

6. I believe I had already written, in this thread, that I had set IE 9 as the default browser, and that at least one install of PSI resulted in a RED icon.

7. I have not encountered any problems with any other programs, at least not problems that have evidenced themselves.

==
A. Opened IE 9, went to Tools, Browsing History, deleted materials.

B. Emptied Firefox cache.

C. Ran CC Cleaner.

D. Ran PSI setup program.

E. Manually installed Secunia Update Agent service.

F. Opened PSI, ran a scan, which reported 100%.

G. Closed PSI.

H. Icon remained RED.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Jun, 2013 23:11
Been a long day......but a couple of things......we may have already looked at them !!....Your firewall/internet permissions......I've had a number of occasions where the occasional permission has gone astray at a program update/re-install.....have you checked them lately ?
I've got two....Secunia psi and Secunia Agent.
I must have missed that....IE9 at default...anyrate gonna get off now......Haps something will occur to me tomorrow, but it seems like we've looked at just about everything ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jun, 2013 23:44
Were the firewall interfering, PSI would not be able to determine that programs need updating, nor would it download updates when told to so do.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Jun, 2013 21:19
Can you use the direct link to get to { All Threads ) on the forum ? If you go to Learn More on the dashboard of psi.....then Support Forum.....and the Visit Community forum .....link (?) Will psi use IE where/when it may have used Firefox before ? Just to confirm psi is recognizing the new default browser.

If you disable Start at boot and Monitoring in Settings.....close psi, and restart from the Start menu.....does a manual start change anything ? I've noticed that the icon comes into play very quickly...whilst first verifying internet connection.....and turns green seconds later.

Have you thought it might be a worthwhile exercise to remove Firefox and any old files etc., out of the puzzle for the time being ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jun, 2013 16:41
The first glimmer of hope: At the request of Secunia Support, I submitted a PSI log, along with a comment that my previous such submissions never generated any replies.

This time, around a day after I submitted the log, I got this reply, created by a developer: "I can't tell whether his agent is checking in successfully. If he lets the mouse pointer hover over the tray icon, what does the tool tip say? If it say says "Secunia PSI Tray", the agent is not checking in successfully."

That is what I get when hovering over the icon. I checked to be sure that both Secunia Services are running, temporarily turned off Comodo Firewall and suspended the Avast! shields, which did not change the tool tip.

I have reported my findings to Secunia, including a reminder that while I only have PSI installed on the 64-bit computer, the icon is always red when 2.x is also installed on the 32-bit computer.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability