Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: All data lost, scan turns up zero results

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Tarq57 All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 18th Jun, 2013 02:41
Ranking: 16
User Since: 20th Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
SInce 17/June the PSI has had a red icon, and shows no programs installed, and no scan ever run.
Commanding a scan appears to produce a scanning action, and at the final step it reports "scan required" without detecting any programs.

Uninstalled PSI (Version 2) and installed version 3, with the same result.

Windows XP home, all up to date.

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.

mogs RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Expert Contributor 18th Jun, 2013 06:58
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@Tarq57

It may be that a setting has gotten altered....best first check thro' the following item from the FAQ :-

The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
To function correctly the Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers. If you experience any issues where the Secunia PSI cannot complete scanning or where the interface will not load and show you the detected programs, then please do the following.

Open the control panel.
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Click OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
Click Close then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.
Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.

If you are still having problems with the Secunia PSI, the services on which the Secunia PSI depends may have been disabled. To verify that they are running, type “Administrative tools” in the start menu search bar or open Administrative tools from the Control Panel.

Now click the Services tool, and verify that both the “Secunia Update Agent” and “Secunia PSI Agent” are listed and have their “Startup type” set to “Automatic”.

Windows XP users can also try the following: Navigate to the folder where you installed the PSI (usually C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI). Right-click the file “psi” and choose “Properties”. Go to the Compatibility tab and place a check at “Turn off advanced text services for this program”. Click OK.

Hope it helps.......regards........mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lastjuan76 RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 18th Jun, 2013 08:43
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Jun 2013
I'm having the same troubles that Tarq57 have described in this thread. I'm experimenting it in two different machines: one with a Win / Pro 64-bits and the other with a Win 7 Home 32-bits.

I have followed the steps that you describe in the panel control options with no changes at all.

In the Services console I could only locate one Secunia service: Secunia PSI Agent.
If I try to restart the Secunia Update agent, I get the following:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI>sua.exe -i -L
[...]
Starting 'Secunia Update Agent' service
'Secunia Update Agent' failed to start

Any ideas or thoughts?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tarq57 RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 18th Jun, 2013 08:45
Score: 16
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
Thanks for the information.

I've been through the "internet options -security" part of it. No luck.

I had been hopeful this was the problem, as then I possibly would have been able to relate it to the recent "patch Tuesday" updates.

I had previously (long time ago) altered certain admin services, in accordance with some recommendations/info read on Blackviper dot com.

The Secunia PSI Agent service is running and set to automatic startup.
There is no Secunia Update Agent service present under "services,msc".

What next?

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jun, 2013 09:00
@Tarq57

The following copy/ post from Support has sometimes been found helpful :-

Are you comfortable with working with the command line? You need to execute the file "sua.exe" in the PSI directory with "-i -L" parameters.

First, open "cmd" as an administrative user. In Vista and Windows 7, you can type "cmd" in the Start menu and then right-click the icon to launch with elevated priviliges.

Then enter this command for a 32-bit system:
cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI"
And this command for a 64-bit system:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

Please be sure to exclude both quotes.

Then, run
"sua.exe -i -L"

After restarting the PSI, it should now work.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Former helpers, please take note that if the "Secunia Update Agent" is missing from the list of services, that is almost positively the problem and should be addressed before other troubleshooting steps. Thank you kindly.

--
Kind regards,

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
nbrucken RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 18th Jun, 2013 09:22
Score: 1
User Since: 7th Dec 2008
Hi,

I've followed all of the instructions in this thread, and am getting the following messages when I try to run sua.exe -i -L as an administrator (Windows Vista):

Any suggestions? This worked fine about a month ago, when I last ran a scan.

Thank you very much!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Jun, 2013 09:23
I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to running cmd instructions. I can, however, follow directions, and did so.

The response was: 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.

I entered the instruction after "C:\>" . It appears that this can be altered by the use of some dark arts, but I don't know how to do that. When I open "Cmd" I have to change directory - it default opens at "documents and settings\...." and that's about the limit of my ability with it.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Handling Contributor 18th Jun, 2013 10:24
Score: 11720
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
You are correct with Windows XP in that the Command Prompt opens in Documents & Settings.

The copied script you have been given is written for those used to working in the Command Prompt. I will write a simpler script for you to see if that is your issue if @mogs does not expand on his solution.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 18th Jun, 2013 10:28
Thanks heaps.
Not only the script, but the basics of running a command line are a bit elusive to me.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
amg63 RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 18th Jun, 2013 13:32
I've been using PSI 2 for 2 years without any problems

On 17th June started PSI and discovered same problem - scan ran but turned nil programs and nil results.

I tried both PSI 2 and PSI 3 and checked Internet Options as suggested below - settings all OK.

Uninstalled and reinstalled PSI 2 and 3.

Checked in the Adminstrative Tools and found that the Secunia Update Agent was not installed.

How can I install the SUA into services?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Windows XP- SP3
IE 8.0.6
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eveardown RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 18th Jun, 2013 14:01
Hi,

The "Secunia Update Agent" was not in my list of services, so I followed these instructions, but the sua service fails to start and there are no relevant entries in the Windows 7 event log, I have also made sure that my firewall allows psi.exe, psia.exe, and sua.exe full access to all networks, The firewall logs show no entries for any of those processes.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with PSI v3 and BitDefender Total Security 2013.

I'd appreciate an idea of what to do next to further diagnose/resolve this issue,

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
zoey377-info RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 18th Jun, 2013 14:09
I have the same problem. Out of the blue, it would scan but with no results. I, too, uninstalled and reinstalled version 3 with no change.

I tried the cmd fix that @mogs suggested. but got error messages.

I checked the settings in the control panel, but no changes. I don't know if it matters that I use firefox (primary) and IE (secondary), norton 360, and vista OS.

The administrative tools instructions didn't work either. Couldn't find services under administrative tools, but under system configuration, I found secunia psi under start up tab. But nothing secunia/psi-related under the services tab.

Help!

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2013 14:17
I just found secunia psi agent when looking at services under system configuration under a second admin tools -
C:\users\zoey377\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows \start menu\programs\administrative tools

I didn't find it under admin tools here -
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

This makes no sense to me. Can anyone else figure this out?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jun, 2013 20:56
@Maurice

Up in the morning...out on the job.....tho' I don't think I'd have been able to go any further with the issue.....Thankyou for your attention to the thread Maurice.....your expertise, as always, much appreciated......regards.....mogs.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AntonJ RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 18th Jun, 2013 21:22
Hi Team,

I just found out that I have the same issue (Windows 7 Home Premium, Secunia 2.0.0.4003). Tried all steps above, but none help. The issue was found after some Microsoft updates, including an update to IE10). I can give you the list of all updates of today, if this would help

I've found some errors in some secunia logs:
psilog.txt (in sysadmin documents):
[06/18 20:42:25:665] psia.setLogging exception: -2146827850. De eigenschap of methode setLogging wordt niet ondersteund door dit object
(same error for aulink.setLoggin).

sualog.txt in PFx86\Secunia\PSI:
[06/18 20:39:18:890] Windows Workstation Version: 6.1.7601, Service Pack: 1.0. SetProcessDEPPolicy returned 0x00000005

I hope this helps
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Jun, 2013 22:09
Last edited on 18th Jun, 2013 22:10
Script written for @Tarq57 using Windows XP SP3 32 Bit.

If you create typing errors in the Command Box you will be prompted by an error message - Cannot find the File path - wrong Syntax etc - just re-enter the detail again from the instructions below

Open the Command Prompt as an Administrator.

A black box appears with wording like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\.......> and then has a blinking cursor.

Type this cd now hit the keyboard space bar and continue to type this"C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI"

It should look like this on completion: C:\Documents and Settings\....>cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI"

Hit the keyboard Return Key & you will see this:

C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI> and then a blinking cursor

Now type this:

sua.exehit the space bar & continue typing -i space bar again and then -L

The finished string should now look like this: C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI>sua.exe -i -L

Hit the return Key & it gives a description of what it is doing - identifies the PC - stopping/starting SUA

It should end up stating 'Secunia Update Agent' successfully installed followed by
C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI>

If it states it has FAILED TO START repeat the SUA activation as described above.

Close the Command Prompt & restart PSI.

Has that fixed it? If not are the Agents populated in Services & set to Automatic? - they look like this:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pKbNRQJM1yH...

To open Services to check the agents are populated open the Command Prompt again & type this at the blinking cursor point:

services.msc then hit the Return Key & it will open for you to search.

I will return to your other point once it is known if this has worked for you.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 18th Jun, 2013 22:32
Thanks for the clear directions. I followed them.
Actually, I followed them three times, because the command prompt (three times) kept returning the error "secunia update service failed to start".

Checked admin services, and there it was, as per the pic, with the startup type set to automatic. It wasn't running. I commanded it to start, the message read that it started, then stopped, and possible reason. (Maybe not req if there's nothing for it to do.)

Tried restarting PSI, and when it loaded, ran a scan, unfortunately with the same results and behaviour.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Jun, 2013 22:44
Then it is not that which is causing the issue.

Right click on the PSI task tray icon & select Close Tray Icon.

Wait a while & the restart PSI via Start>All Programs> ....

Does that give any better results?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 19th Jun, 2013 00:20
"Fraid not. No change.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Jun, 2013 00:22
Thank you. Do you know where to look in the Registry to check your unique User ID has not been corrupted?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jun, 2013 00:56
I don't, but I'm reasonably familiar with browsing regedit...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Adriaan_Ludik RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 19th Jun, 2013 09:40
User Since: 17th Jun 2013
Same experience. Red zero scans since june 16-17 (after MS updates?). In Services: Secunia PSI Agent is running, Secunia Update Agent is not present. In Program files both files are present. Problem occurs on PC 64-bit Windows-7. Secunia PSI still runs fine on Laptop 32-bit Vista, with both files running in Services.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Jun, 2013 10:16
@Tarq57

CHECKING THE PSI USER ID

Go to start > run> and type in Regedit.

Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Secunia\PSI

Click on PSI & in the right hand pane you should see USER ID. This should consist of a 50 digits.

Looks like this:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pEiFWuKOjMd...

Is the ID complete?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 19th Jun, 2013 11:28
It looks almost exactly the same. There are 50.
My four figures in bracket at the end of the REG_DWORD entry is (1048), and in the regedit navigation pane to the left, PSIA is absent. (PSIA is running in task manager.) The listing under PSI is SUA.

I was hoping that would be it. I'm now thinking that maybe a Windows update is interfering with the operation of the program. Esp since it appears a few other users are reporting what seems to be an identical issue, with shared symptoms.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jun, 2013 14:36
@Tarq57

I think that you might be right about the problem being related to a Microsoft update. The timing fits a recent MS update.

Also, when my cursor is over the PSI tray icon, I get a message that all programs are up to date. Yet, the icon is red and when I open PSI, it says a scan is needed and that I might have outdated software. Once the scan is complete, there are no results and the screen goes back to saying that scan is needed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Secunia Official 19th Jun, 2013 14:55
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Having done some investigation this appears to be a server issue which is affecting some installations of PSI 3. Although we have yet to reproduce it we are aware of the issue and are currently working to get it fixed.
Handling Contributor 19th Jun, 2013 15:53
Last edited on 19th Jun, 2013 15:55
@Tarq57

That all looks in order. Better to wait for Secunia Support to investigate further & report back.

You mentioned the Command Prompt. It is a lengthy subject. A few tasters are here:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsc/p/command-pro...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4432163_use-command-prompt...

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/403-command-prompts-for-...

If you want to research more just type Command Prompt in your browser search box but the 3 links I have given you give the basic idea.

I use it as a shortcut to various Windows Tools that are hidden away & require numerous mouse clicks to get to the interface.

Examples you can try:

Open the Command Prompt.(which I have permanently in the Task Tray) At the blinking cursor type any command & hit the enter key.

Try these:

Calc The calculator will appear

services.msc Windows Services Interface

devmgmt.msc Opens Device Manager

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
jamesmanning RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 19th Jun, 2013 21:40
User Since: 19th Jun 2013
Last edited on 19th Jun, 2013 21:43
Just to add another data point for the symptoms of Secunia PSI no longer working:

- red icon above 'Please run a scan'
- lists "Last scan: Never" (i've used it on this machine for months fine)
- clicking 'Scan now' runs for a few seconds and then goes back to the same 'Please run a scan'
- Setup event log shows last OS servicing was 5 days ago (a ton of updates then)
- Secunia PSI history shows last applied update was ~33 days ago

grep'ing for just 'Final results' in psialog.txt shows that it was between 1:17pm and 2:47pm Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4) when the scan stopped working, since it was correctly detecting the 167 programs up until then:

Line 1092: [06/19 10:55:21.223] Final results 167 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 2695: [06/19 11:59:58.873] Final results 167 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 3436: [06/19 12:56:26.835] Final results 167 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 4165: [06/19 12:57:26.730] Final results 167 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 4981: [06/19 13:04:33.631] Final results 167 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 5710: [06/19 13:05:34.349] Final results 167 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 6596: [06/19 13:17:35.386] Final results 167 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 8457: [06/19 14:47:34.876] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 9793: [06/19 15:07:56.719] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 9804: [06/19 15:07:57.232] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 11138: [06/19 15:08:52.035] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 11149: [06/19 15:08:53.450] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 12487: [06/19 15:12:02.027] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 12498: [06/19 15:12:02.637] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 13832: [06/19 15:14:25.396] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic
Line 13843: [06/19 15:14:26.007] Final results 0 detected, 0 missing, 0 automatic

It was during this time that it failed to access the server over the course of about 10 minutes

Line 6824: [06/19 13:19:43.710] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The operation timed out',winCode=12002
Line 6920: [06/19 13:20:40.411] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The operation timed out',winCode=12002
Line 7027: [06/19 13:21:45.132] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The operation timed out',winCode=12002
Line 7166: [06/19 13:23:04.150] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The operation timed out',winCode=12002
Line 7207: [06/19 13:24:04.923] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The operation timed out',winCode=12002
Line 7228: [06/19 13:25:04.923] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The operation timed out',winCode=12002
Line 7249: [06/19 13:26:38.801] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The operation timed out',winCode=12002
Line 7298: [06/19 13:29:28.968] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The operation timed out',winCode=12002

In looking at the http calls being made, one thing in the json response that seems odd is what seems to be an 'ignore rule' that says not to scan anything on the C: (AFAICT)

http://i.imgur.com/IbnHbST.png

"ignoreRules": {
"total": 1,
"rules": [{
"id": 12840002,
"name": "",
"arch": "1",
"rule": "^C:\\",
"drive_rule": true
}]
},

I'm going to try and modify that rule in the http response so it ignores a different drive instead and see if that gets the scanning to start working again.

Combined with the 10 minutes of failed http calls, I'd normally say this looks like an attack of some sort, but admittedly it's way too early to know if that's really the case, or if this is just a misconfiguration issue of some sort. :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
LeendertKip All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 19th Jun, 2013 21:56
Score: 4
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
I'm not 100% sure but I guess it's caused by a server issue. My PSI went red during the last hour or so and scan doesn't run properly. I don't think it's a good idea to uninstall/install PSI. Just wait till the server issue has been solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bsmorgan RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 19th Jun, 2013 22:29
Last edited on 19th Jun, 2013 22:30
on 19th Jun, 2013 10:16, Maurice Joyce wrote:

CHECKING THE PSI USER ID

Click on PSI & in the right hand pane you should see USER ID. This should consist of a 50 digits.

Is the ID complete?

I do not have a User ID key. How do I get one?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sandgills RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 19th Jun, 2013 22:45
I'm having the exact same problem, and I see no userid in regedit.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jamesmanning RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 19th Jun, 2013 22:48
So changing the response to move the ignore rule from C: to D: didn't change the behavior AFAICT.

For anyone else that wants to try it (or try something similar), I use Fiddler and added this snippet into the OnBeforeResponse function:

// For the calls to Secunia PSI service, change the ignore rule from C: to D:
if (oSession.HostnameIs("psi3.secunia.com")){
oSession.utilDecodeResponse();
oSession.utilReplaceInResponse('"rule":"^C:','"rul e":"^D:');
}

WRT the sua.exe call as an attempted fix, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in case this was an issue for others, the -i and -L parameters to sua.exe appear to need to be in a particular order (-L first, then -i) to work. I'm not sure if the issue is that if specified as "-i -L" that it's attempting to parse the -L as the interval time or not.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI>sua.exe -i -L
[06/19 16:36:46.434] Determining computer name
[06/19 16:36:46.434] Computer name is 'MYMACHINE'
[06/19 16:36:46.436] Domain Name is 'MYDOMAIN'
Stopping 'Secunia Update Agent' service
'Secunia Update Agent' successfully removed

C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI>sua.exe -L -i
[06/19 16:36:50.032] Determining computer name
[06/19 16:36:50.032] Computer name is 'MYMACHINE'
[06/19 16:36:50.033] Domain Name is 'MYDOMAIN'
Stopping 'Secunia Update Agent' service
'Secunia Update Agent' successfully removed
'Secunia Update Agent' service started
'Secunia Update Agent' successfully installed

Not sure if caused by an earlier run of sua.exe today, but CheckInInterval currently has a value of 1M (1 minute) which seems short (but I'm not sure what the default value is for it, so maybe that's fine :)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI>reg.exe query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Secunia\PS IA /v CheckInInterval

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Secunia\PS IA
CheckInInterval REG_SZ 1M

That seems to differ significantly (I think) from the CheckIn info that was logged in psialog.txt of 5400 - I'm guessing that's 1.5 hours in seconds, but no unit listed, so just a guess. :)

-- CheckIn Information --
CheckInInterval 5400
LastCheckIn 06/19/13 16:28:16
NextInspection 06/26/13 16:31:00
ServerTime 06/19/13 16:29:35
REG_KEY_PATH SOFTWARE\Secunia\PSIA
RegConfKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Was this reply relevant?
+0
progan01 RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 19th Jun, 2013 23:17
User Since: 25th Oct 2010
One additional datum: I'm running Win7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Both the Secunia PSI Agent and the Secunia Update Agent services are on 'Automatic,' but only the Secunia PSI Agent is Started. When I try to start the Secunia Update Agent Service I get the following error message:

"The Secunia Update Agent service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

Hoping this helps with the diagnostic. Odd that the MS updates were a week ago and the problem only surfaces the Monday following. I suspect a dependency elsewhere has manifested itself through a third party application or service. Yesterday I installed TeamViewer v. 8.0.19045, updated 13 June. My PSI problem did not start until an hour ago. For what it's worth.

---->P!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kookie RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 19th Jun, 2013 23:29
User Since: 15th Dec 2009
on 19th Jun, 2013 22:29, bsmorgan wrote:
I do not have a User ID key. How do I get one?

Same Problem. Everything is nominal except I have no user ID in the reg. Could this be do to server problems too?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jun, 2013 02:20
@ Maurice Joyce,

Thanks very much for the info, and your clear troubleshooting guidance.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

joe schmoe

RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
arthro RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 20th Jun, 2013 03:18
User Since: 22nd Dec 2008
Same issue here which I see all over in this thread. Started recently.

Win 7 64 all updates installed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
joe schmoe RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 20th Jun, 2013 03:24
Score: 38
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Last edited on 20th Jun, 2013 03:33
Addendum to my thread above: [EDIT]: Software Updater flagged IE as critical obsolete only two days ago, well after WU came in. Correction: All file versions are 10.0.9200.1611 or 10.0.9200.1618

Sorry not to be precisely clear. Would be nice if this forum offered a preview of text messages as most other forums do.

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit
Was this reply relevant?
+0
COMPUTIAC RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 20th Jun, 2013 04:04
User Since: 15th Oct 2011
Avast Software updater is now corrected.
No longer shows IE 10 as out of date.

--
Thank's,

COMPUTIAC
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 20th Jun, 2013 10:38
The server issue has been fixed by now. Please reopen the PSI interface, perform a scan, and let us know if you are still having any issues.
Member 20th Jun, 2013 11:32
Last edited on 20th Jun, 2013 11:50
Uninstalled PSI 2 with Absolute Installer and reinstalled PSI.

Conducted scan but unfortunately no change - no programs recognized and no data recorded.
Checked Administrative tools - no SUA present.

Will try complete shut down and try again after complete restart.

Andy

Windows XP SP3

IE 8.0.6

Did complete shutdown and restart ran PSI from taskbar - same result - no programs recognised, no data recorded, no SUA present.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jun, 2013 12:16
Last edited on 20th Jun, 2013 12:17
Still having exactly the same issue.

Additional info: very near the beginning of the scan, a balloon tip appears above the tray icon indicating "scan completed successfully" and indicating zero programs. This is at step one of the scan.
Same balloon tip appears at the end.

[edit] SUA is present in admin services, and has been since running the script provided by Maurice Joyce.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Jun, 2013 12:21
Andy,
I think there has been a bit of confusion injected into this thread.

I not sure Secunia have identified & issued (if necessary) a fix for the problem that @Tarq57 (and possibly others) has/have identified.

What Secunia have fixed is a complete failure of their server which affected all users yesterday.

If PSI is still not working for you I would just carry out a few checks & if that does not work await for Secunia Support to report on their investigation into the fault @Tarq57 ( & you by the look of it) is reporting.

The checks worth doing are:

1. Is your PC clock set correctly?

2. Have you checked your settings against the FAQ here?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

3. Activate your SUA as described on this thread & check it is present in Services. (Script written for @Tarq57 refers)

4. Check your unique User ID is intact in the Registry. (Script also available on this thread if required)

5. As a shot in the dark it might also be worth trying to reinstall PSI without the use of a third party uninstaller. Secunia has its own uninstaller which can be accessed via Windows Explorer or by simply activating the new install whereby the old copy will be uninstalled prior to a refresh install.

If they all tally I am not sure you can do much else except wait for Secunia Support.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jjoek1 RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 20th Jun, 2013 15:58
User Since: 12th Apr 2012
Had similar problem, Win 7, 64, but this morning all is well and resolved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MrSwilson RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 20th Jun, 2013 16:20
Score: 2
User Since: 20th Jun 2013
Last edited on 20th Jun, 2013 16:30
Hi folks - this is my first post here so be gentle please!

Don't know if this will help anyone and I'm unsure if the server issue has been sorted but I was having the same sort of issue when I checked in with PSI this morning. Mine is a little peculiar as I tried again later in the day and got a 100% score but the only thing showing was "Windows7 up to date".

Symptoms Prior :
The return to the scan now part of the UI and no valid results.

My Solution:
I now have mine working again and I don't fully understand the mentions of Internet Explorer and Windows Updates and what this all means although i do have the latest Windows Updates installed on 64bit Home Premium. I should mention that I use mainly Firefox (currently V21.0 set as my default browser)) but I also use IE9 (I know I should update to 10 but that's another story) so I can test web development projects when required.

Here is what I did and it started to work again:
*Followed the steps from previous posts regarding scripting in Internet Options
*Added Secunia server address to the trusted websites list
*Instead of "Automatic" I set both Secunia services to "Manual" (yes admittedly I have the 2 services unlike some others who have posted here)

I also did the following in Firefox after having recently reset Version 21.0 of the browser back to default settings:
*Firefox -> Options -> Content -> Added exceptions (the Secunia server address) in "Block Popup Windows" and "Load Images Automatically" Exception (anything was worth a try I thought!)
*Also Firefox -> Options -> Security -> "Warn me when sites try to install addons" -> again added an exception for the Secunia server address as mentioned in previous threads (and once again I don't know if this made a blind Freddie's bit of difference but I thought anything worth a try by this stage!)

Anyway - my Secunia PSI is now working again and even found the fact that I needed to do a Java update which I installed. I then rescanned and went from the previously reported 98% to a 100% score.

Don't know if this will be in the slightest helpful to anyone else suffering the same problems but thought I would share my experience. May be worth a shot for someone.

Good luck all :)

Was this reply relevant?
+2
Hesasi RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 20th Jun, 2013 19:40
Unfortunately still the same problem for me.

I have tried to reinstall software, changed IE settings, cmd inputs and services check (both are there automatic) PSI agent started, SUA automatic but empty.

What else to try?

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

joe schmoe

[+]
Member 20th Jun, 2013 20:01
Is there something for me or just general? I dont understand what to do with IE file versioning. Or if I even should.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MrSwilson RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 20th Jun, 2013 23:54
Score: 2
Last edited on 21st Jun, 2013 00:04
on 19th Jun, 2013 10:16, Maurice Joyce wrote:
@Tarq57

CHECKING THE PSI USER ID

Looks like this:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pEiFWuKOjMd...

Is the ID complete?

Although PSI is now functioning correctly for me (refer to my previous post) I thought I'd ask a couple of quick questions if someone would be so kind:

As mentioned by some other people posting here, I also do not have this key appearing in the registry.

If you have time could you possibly explain why this might be the case as there are obviously other users including yourself who do have the User ID string value.

Also - why would a user of a free software installation need a User ID when there is no login required to start and run said software?

Are you possibly talking about CSI (which I know nothing about and don't know if a User ID is required) and not PSI as is the case in mention here?

My apologies if this is a little off topic from the OP's original question but it has been mentioned by a senior member of the forum so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers :)

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jun, 2013 00:21
on 20th Jun, 2013 23:54, MrSwilson wrote:
Although PSI is now functioning correctly for me (refer to my previous post) I thought I'd ask a couple of quick questions if someone would be so kind:

As mentioned by some other people posting here, I also do not have this key appearing in the registry.

If you have time could you possibly explain why this might be the case as there are obviously other users including yourself who do have the User ID string value.

Also - why would a user of a free software installation need a User ID when there is no login required to start and run said software?

Are you possibly talking about CSI (which I know nothing about and don't know if a User ID is required) and not PSI as is the case in mention here?

My apologies if this is a little off topic from the OP's original question but it has been mentioned by a senior member of the forum so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers :)

Ditto! Except mine wont update Flash and Java. It did finnally update Adobe Air. It says "contact support". With PSI 2.0 you could log in. PSI 3.0 I don't think that is an option. I miss 2.0 actually. You could expand and manually install. That is not an option in 3.0 unless I'm missing something. That is a good question about the user ID. Do we need that in our reg?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jun, 2013 00:22
Last edited on 21st Jun, 2013 00:23
Opps, double post. Sorry.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

joe schmoe

[+]
Handling Contributor 21st Jun, 2013 00:56
I do not think you should be concerned about IE. The IE "bits" required by PSI will work with any IE version & will not solve the problem for @Tarq57 which is the aim of this thread.

What has not really been explained is there are two versions of IE10 - IE10 which is embedded in Windows 8 & IE 10 for Windows 7 which is a modified upgrade version of IE10 from IE9. Both by default are set to automatically update.

They rightly have there own version numbers as can be seen here:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pmyp876lcns...

Those versions are correct in that they mirror the details issued by Microsoft with the current exe file release.

The version numbers displayed from within IE at Help>About Internet Explorer are different. The differences is easily explained.

Secunia checks the meta data of programmes installed from Windows Explorer from details issued by Microsoft.

Microsoft harvest their version information from the Registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>MICROSOFT>INTERNET EXPLORER>SVC VERSION

The current versions released by Microsoft are:

IE 10 meta data from Windows Explorer used by PSI - 10.0.9200.16537

Microsoft Registry Version - 10.0.9200.16599

IE10 for Windows 7 meta data from Windows Explorer used by PSI - 10.0.9200.16611

Microsoft Registry Version - 10.0.9200.16618

All looks correct & in order to me.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 21st Jun, 2013 13:38
Maurice,

Thanks for all the efforts to resolve my problem.

I follwed all the steps proposed and via Cmd prompt saw exactly what you described.

User ID had 50 characters.

At the end of the command prompt process the PSI Agent and SUA were present in the Services and both were stated as 'automatic' Start Up as shown in the graphic you kindly provided.

Only PSI Agent was listed as 'Started'.

I ran the PSI uninstaller and reinstalled PSI 2. Returned to Services and there was no SUA present. after the reinstall

Went to command prompt and repeated your script process - SUA appeared in Services.

Ran PSI program via Program Files - result 0 programs recognised.

Returned to Services both PSI Agenct and SUA present and listed as Automatic as Startuo type. Again only PSI Agent was listed as started.

Ran scan and checked in Services only PSI Agent was active. Again scan registered 0 programs.

Went to Services and selected SUA and started manually - Status registed 'started' ran scan - result 0 programs.

Closed PSI - checked Services - SUA agent present but not active.

Ran scan again - same result - SUA did not starft automatically - I assume it was supposed to ?

Any other suggestions. Maybe I should just wait for Support?

Andy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jun, 2013 13:46
Andy,
I agree. Secunia Support have stated to me by email that they are looking at the problem raised by @Tarq57 (& you) which are similar by nature of the problem,OS in use & the tests you have both completed.

Sadly this thread has got confused with the unfortunate Secunia outrage which is now fixed & clearly has nothing to do with the this problem.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Secunia Official 21st Jun, 2013 15:03
As stated by Maurice we have unfortunately gotten two separate issues confused in this thread. The previously mentioned server issue was fixed, but some users are now affected by a different issue which we are still investigating. I will update this thread as soon as I have any news.
swinters RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 22nd Jun, 2013 04:45
User Since: 14th Feb 2010
on 21st Jun, 2013 15:03, E.Jeppesen wrote:
As stated by Maurice we have unfortunately gotten two separate issues confused in this thread. The previously mentioned server issue was fixed, but some users are now affected by a different issue which we are still investigating. I will update this thread as soon as I have any news.

Same problem here and none of the recommended steps have fixed it. The only thing I have to add is that I noticed it when my computer updated and the Norton Security Suite ran tune-up, including registry clean-up. I had 2.0 and noticed it was giving me a score of 0. Wouldn't run so uninstalled 2.0, rebooted, installed 3.0 and am getting the same thing as above.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jun, 2013 12:16
As Im still having the problem described above;

Does "updating" to 2.0 version help? Anyone managed to get PSI work?
Is 2.0 version as fast as 3.0 with updates?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ralish RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 23rd Jun, 2013 12:22
User Since: 18th Sep 2009
Just adding in my two cents that I'm also seeing this issue on the latest Secunia PSI v2.0 release, and like many other commenters, the issue started about a week ago (roughly coinciding with the June 2013 Microsoft Security Bulletins which may or may not be related).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
smthomas RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 23rd Jun, 2013 14:28
User Since: 27th Jan 2009
Another weigh-in with this issue...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mari87 RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 25th Jun, 2013 16:50
User Since: 12th Jan 2012
I am using version 2 of PSI since 3 does not show what I need, and around the time of the questionable Win update, I too started having problems and still do. (Last scan shows as June 13th.) At the time, I just didn't have time to try to find out what was wrong, but today I would like to try to get it resolved.

I have read through and checked everything suggested here and all is in order, but I DO still have history of what was scanned and updated. However, when I attempt to scan, it returns with a box saying "Scan Aborted" and Scan Status = 1 second.

Short of uninstalling and reinstalling PSI 2 which seems for others not to help, what can I try next to get PSI to work properly?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2013 00:00
After updating Firefox (to 22 version) all out of sudded PSI icon went green. Good news then, hope it stays like this :)

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Websafe RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 26th Jun, 2013 00:13
Score: 79
User Since: 24th May 2009
Hello all,

It seems to me the Secunia Servers are having issues again.

My Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 needs an extended time to start up and – after a scan – loading the scan results. (Or fails to start).

Also the forum loads really slow.

For those PSI users thinking their own PSI is having issues I would suggest to wait some time until the Secunia Servers are running smoothly again.

Websafe.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2013 17:20
Last edited on 26th Jun, 2013 17:21
on 26th Jun, 2013 00:13, Websafe wrote:
Hello all,

It seems to me the Secunia Servers are having issues again. [...]

Websafe.

I don't think my problem is due to their server problems, as I have not been able to SCAN for almost 2 weeks now.

I hope that someone will help me soon... My next step will be to start an entirely new thread if there is no help in this one.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2013 01:44
@Hesasi

Thanks for your post. I updated firefox from 21 to 22 and everything seems to be working again. Hope this problem has been fixed for everyone else!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2013 02:21
No, updating Firefox did nothing for the abort problem I have had with PSI.

Next?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ralish RE: All data lost, scan turns up zero results
Member 27th Jun, 2013 05:10
User Since: 18th Sep 2009
Quick note to confirm that updating to Firefox 22 also resolved the problem for me on both of my affected systems.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2013 13:29
I just logged in and Secunia V 2 is working again.

I have made no change to my laptop or any operating or loaded software, including Internet Explorer.

My thanks to all on this thread, especially Maurice for his patience, and to the unknown, and much appreciated workers in Secunia Support who brought about a solution to our problem

Regards to All

Andy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Jun, 2013 13:49
Andy,
Thank you for the update - nice to see you are all fixed up.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jun, 2013 00:15
Secunia PSI is also working again on my system.
Rather curious to know what brought about the change, but if it's in the "we'd have to shoot you if we told you" basket, I'm content to not know.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

joe schmoe

[+]
Handling Contributor 28th Jun, 2013 21:48
@Tarq57,

Pleased to see you are all fixed up. I will unsubscribe to protect my mailbox.

Given that Support have been active on the Forum today & have not responded to your information request I would write to them (support@secunia.com) if you still require the background to your problem but pinpointing the actual cause may be difficult if they made various changes in an attempt to clear some of the reported bugs on this & other threads.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for you sometime tomorrow unless you post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from any more update emails from irrelevant "tag on" posts

You can of course lock threads you have created. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Jun, 2013 22:12
Thanks, Maurice. All good.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability