Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Recent PSI issues

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
E.Jeppesen Recent PSI issues
Secunia Official 27th Jun, 2013 10:22
Ranking: 220
User Since: 24th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Over the last few days, we have seen that the PSI has been running a lot slower, and in some cases have not been able to open or show the scan results. We believe that the performance issues are now fixed, and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

throkr. RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 27th Jun, 2013 13:43
Score: 72
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
System Score: 100%
Thanks for the info, there were indeed some problems but, at least speaking for myself, since yesterday everything has returned to normal.

Just for info : my yesterday's thread (already locked) :
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/142...

--
Win 8.1.1 Pro x64

OSS Pro - MBAM Pro - SAS Pro - Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003)
Mozilla Firefox - Cyberfox (x64) - SRWare Iron (x64)

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+0
worfusa2009 RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 28th Jun, 2013 12:08
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Jul 2009
I can not scan my computer with 2.0. The Start Scan button is not responding.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Recent PSI issues
Secunia Official 28th Jun, 2013 12:40
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
@worfusa2009
Your issue does not seem to be related to the server issue. Please either create your own thread, or contact us directly by writing to support@secunia.com. We will then do our best to assist you.
rondegenaro RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 28th Jun, 2013 22:35
Score: 1
User Since: 28th Jun 2013
I uninstalled and then installed the latest version and still can not get the home page. It show the screen and then goes away.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 30th Jun, 2013 01:01
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Just for an F.Y.I.: if you want to test Secunia servers, try logging on to forum as a regular search. Usually, if you cannot access the forum this way, or it takes an unusull amount of time,it meams the servers are down or other problem states.

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+1
ManFromOz RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 1st Jul, 2013 02:07
Score: 17
User Since: 6th Jun 2012
on 27th Jun, 2013 10:22, E.Jeppesen wrote:
Over the last few days, we have seen that the PSI has been running a lot slower, and in some cases have not been able to open or show the scan results. We believe that the performance issues are now fixed, and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

It seems to be running very slow again just now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Paul_D RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 1st Jul, 2013 02:20
User Since: 25th May 2011
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2013 02:22
Let's be honest. Secunia is now a complete waste of time and resources.

PSI won't run. Sometimes it starts a scan and crashes just before the end. Sometimes it just won't start at all.

All my previous information held on the server seems to be gone. I am consistently being told I have never run a scan before. I have been running Secunia for years.

OSI says I have 0 programs on my PC. That's zero, zilch, none

The forum is appallingly slow.

There are any number of threads here along the same lines, with no official response at all from Secunia. I feel sorry for the mods here trying to salvage something from this mess.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tarq57 RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 1st Jul, 2013 12:58
Score: 16
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
@ Paul D, I tend to disagree.

For the majority of the time PSI has worked (on my machines, anyway) exactly as it should, with the occasional glitch. This most recent one - almost certainly to do with server issues - is the most significant I've experienced in well over three years of use.

It appears to have been solved. PSI is again working as it should. For the week or so it wasn't working, I had to check for software updates/vulnerabilities myself. No big deal, especially since the software is provided free of charge. No complaint at all.

They even said they were sorry.

You could always ask for your money back, I guess.

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+8
Member 1st Jul, 2013 17:34
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2013 18:34
Well, neither PSI nor OSI have worked for me for at least a month despite several reinstalls of PSI.

I have just uninstalled/reinstalled again from a fresh download. Still useless. PSI won't even finish loading. And I cannot see how the script message could be a server issue.

And OSI took 7 minutes to tell me I have no programs installed on my PC. That's not No Insecure Programs, that's No Programs At All. That's a server problem? I don't think so.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 1st Jul, 2013 18:45
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2013 18:47
O.K. for another slant, I am sure you have all gone over the FAQ for Secunia. Other issues that have come up in the past are: slow I.P. at your user end ,Antivirus settings and whether your Firewall has permission for Secunia, I recently learn that you have to keep the Default LSO cookie for Adobe Shockwave if using Firefox.Better Privacy. You can go to the search box in Secunia and run through other entries for problems. One trick, instead of using Windows add/remove,go to Program File and use Secunia application uninstall and then reinstall .

Hope this may help-Luck

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Recent PSI issues
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2013 19:20
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
@Paul D

What version of psi are you having the problem with ?
I had the server issues recently using 2.0.0.3003 on Vista....since cleared up and running fine.....but I tried OSI after that, prompted by another thread.....installed the latest Java.....and got the same result as you....since uninstalled Java.
How are you uninstalling/installing psi ? I sometimes try out the new psi 3.0 release and revert to psi 2.0.0.3003......I usually use Revo in Advanced mode...check for leftovers.....then run DiskMax and CCleaner and my registry scanner/defragger before re-installing from the exe file.
Rarely a problem. I've found thro' the years that psi is a very sensitive program.....when there's problems other than server, they're often elsewhere.
A setting's gotten altered......Firewall permissions sometimes alter at psi version change.....default browser has magically switched...............I like the word moderator....it sounds better than expert status gotten lumbered with !!!

Regards......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jul, 2013 19:31
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2013 19:32
on 1st Jul, 2013 19:20, mogs wrote:
@Paul D

What version of psi are you having the problem with ?
Current version 3.0
I had the server issues recently using 2.0.0.3003 on Vista....since cleared up and running fine.....but I tried OSI after that, prompted by another thread.....installed the latest Java.....and got the same result as you....since uninstalled Java.
How are you uninstalling/installing psi ? I sometimes try out the new psi 3.0 release and revert to psi 2.0.0.3003......I usually use Revo in Advanced mode...check for leftovers.....then run DiskMax and CCleaner and my registry scanner/defragger before re-installing from the exe file.
Revo advanced mode
Rarely a problem. I've found thro' the years that psi is a very sensitive program.....when there's problems other than server, they're often elsewhere.
A setting's gotten altered......Firewall permissions sometimes alter at psi version change.....default browser has magically switched...............I like the word moderator....it sounds better than expert status gotten lumbered with !!!

Regards......mogs
Where can I get 2.0.0.3003?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2013 19:44
@Paul D

psi 2.0.0.3003.....last link to, seen here in Maurice's post :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/142...

Regards..........mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jul, 2013 20:08
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2013 20:09
Many thanks. v2 installed and run successfully.

Which suggests that whatever the problem is with v3, it's not a server issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2013 20:28
@Paul D

Some indications that maybe it's compatibilty problems with OS.....all versions of psi have run okay on Vista......some Windows7 and XP users had problems with earlier psi 3.0.....Some Windows 8.1 Preview users have fixed attention on it !!
Main thing is that you're fixed up.....2.0.0.3003 has the Secure Browsing feature also.....hang on to the exe file even if you decide on a change again later ! Regards....mogs.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jul, 2013 20:37
Absolutely.

BTW, I'm running Vista.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Recent PSI issues
Expert Contributor 1st Jul, 2013 21:23
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@rondegenaro ,

Which OS are you using ; is it XP SP3 ??

Does the initial window disappear almost immediately ??

If so , use the specific XP fixes found here (scroll down) :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

@Paul_D ,

Version 3 has never really got out of the Beta stage , but it is getting there slowly .

Version 2.0.0.3003 has never let me down for some (very long) time now (on XP) and did not "see" the server problem . As the silent installers (SPS) seem to work a lot better now ; after Prompt (see Settings) , I have recently let them do (successfully) Adobe AIR and VLC "auto-updates " and individual programme "rescan" also seems pretty good now (used to be horrendous) .

I still would not let "auto-updates" anywhere near my main browsers "Firefox" and Google Chrome" and same goes for Flash and Java .

Support are notorious for not letting you/community members know what is going on , so don't hold your breath waiting for news on version 3.x being fixed . Check here or load the latest version from time to time .

Whilst I use CCleaner and have Revo (and other "cleaners" to "test) , I have always let the PSI installer do the Uninstall/Reinstall for me and never had a Registry problem !! Well ,not yet :))))

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
gts-team-is RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 1st Jul, 2013 21:47
User Since: 1st Jul 2013

--
-GTS
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rondegenaro RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 1st Jul, 2013 22:30
User Since: 28th Jun 2013
Anthony

I am using XP SP3

Yes the screen disappears immediately

I downloaded psi 2.0.0.3003 and it running fine

thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 2nd Jul, 2013 11:34
@Anthony

You've probably already read it......but just in case it's not so.....a link to the Chrome Blog 'bout Chrome Frame retirement :-
http://blog.chromium.org/ Retiring Chrome Frame
Thursday, June 13, 2013

Regards........mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pauleen RE: Recent PSI issues
Member 2nd Jul, 2013 12:44
User Since: 20th Jan 2013
Apologies if I need to start a thread, but as I am experiencing problems with PSI scan, here goes:
Using Secunia PSI version 3, and windows 7. There does not seem to be a facility for setting up regular scans; tried to scan last night. Got the message 'You might have outdated software' in red, along with 'scan now'. 12 hours later it is still showing as 'preparing scan'. This is the third time that this has happened. Do I have to uninstall and then install it again (which I did the last twice) or should I install a different version?

--
Pauleen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Jul, 2013 13:08
@Pauleen

Generally, it is usually better to start your own thread....generally, tagging on to someone else's can be problematic....the originator can close the thread at anytime if so wishing......if the issues aren't identical it can cause tangles. Worth bearing in mind, if this thread should close of a sudden.

Have you been using psi 3.0 since January.....or changed versions recently ?
Have you checked all your settings in accordance with the FAQ here :-
The Secunia PSI wonít load the interface or wonít complete scanning. What can I do?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

A psi scan will automatically occur every seven days.....so, for example....if you wished that to be a Sunday each week......manually scan first on that day, and it will be repeated each seven days.
You can also manually scan at any time.....but there is no provision for other scan cycles....I hope that's clear enough.

Some users have found other versions more compatible for various reasons.....perhaps best reply to this post first...........regards.........mogs.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Recent PSI issues
Secunia Official 2nd Jul, 2013 13:10
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
@Pauleen
I donít think what you are experiencing is related to the server issue that this thread is about, so please create your own thread.

Iím closing this thread for now to avoid more issues getting confused with the server issue.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+