Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Shooting the messenger

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

See the original Secunia blog entry:
Shooting the messenger

Secunia Shooting the messenger
Secunia Official 10th Jul, 2013 22:12
Ranking: 0
User Since: -
System Score: -
Shooting the messenger

cgimusic

RE: Shooting the messenger
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
joe schmoe RE: Shooting the messenger
Member 11th Jul, 2013 15:26
Score: 41
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
System Score: 100%
As VLC is a freely downloadable media player, and free to use, it seems a bit odd for VLC not to acknowledge any and all efforts on Secunia's part to address any found or discovered new security vulnerabilities in a responsible and timely manner.

Ignoring a security issue will not make it go away.

I've used VLC in the past, and noted certain issues caused by running it on my system, beginning with version 2.0.4 and continuing with versions 2.05 and 2.0.6, and decided to uninstall it after struggling with these issues and do without.

I did not try version 2.0.7. Good thing I did not, as that too, is reported as being vulnerable.

The main issue was, for me, was getting certain built-in VLC codecs to run properly without crashing VLC and then it would also automatically disable by default the ability of Windows Media Player to take back WMP native codecs for itself.

Now I know why I was having these issues, thanks to Secunia.

Programs rated as vulnerable have no place on my systems.

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit
Was this reply relevant?
+6
klausus02 RE: Shooting the messenger
Member 15th Jul, 2013 17:17
Score: 4
User Since: 4th Feb 2011
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 15th Jul, 2013 17:34
I think VLC mediaplayer in principle is an excelent peace of software. Therefore it's realy a pity that the problems can be focused on e few guys at VideoLan. For myself I have made some very displeasing experiences with the head Jean-Baptiste Kempf. I'm convinced that he is good programmer. But I think he is missing some skills for beeing the president of VideoLan.

I don't know enough about what happend in the past between Secunia and VideoLan. And I don't understand why it is that unpossible to behave like it is normal in science. There exists a standart procedure to discuss about errors and hint's are welcome and nobody feels offended (mostly..) by hints.

But Jean-Baptiste Kempf behaves childish. Therefore it's good that there is the VLC developer TypX as you can read here:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Secunia-vs-...

I'm curious how this story is going on....
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+