Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Like to know about compatibility please

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
DoeZ0763 Like to know about compatibility please
Member 3rd Sep, 2013 19:19
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Sep, 2013
System Score: N/A
I'm totally new here so please bare with me. I basically use Google Chrome and yes I am a avid FB user that has become aware of how important my privacy is to me. I do realize that Chrome does track my every move and words and possibly my downloads as well. I'm in LOVE with my AV and wouldn't trade it for anything so I have a few questions about your PSI...is it compatible with my Avast AV software...As well as my extensions I have on my FB. I have other programs as well I'm hoping it's compatible with for ex. Malwarebytes and CCleaner.

Will OSI be able to be compatible with that was mentioned above as well? I'm just not sure what they actually do.

Thanks for reading & any advice would greatly be appreciated.

--

“The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. stone crumbles. wood rots. people, well, they die. but things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.”

Maurice Joyce RE: Like to know about compatibility please
Handling Contributor 3rd Sep, 2013 21:11
Score: 11626
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
It is compatible with all the programmes you mention.

The download links & change logs are here - You can select Version 1, 2 or 3 - they are all supported by Secunia.

You may also wish to read the FAQ in case of minor issues when setting up. They are here:

https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/persona...

The FAQ explains the difference between OSI & PSI. My understanding is that OSI is not running correctly but I have not tried it for some time to test the results.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Like to know about compatibility please
Expert Contributor 3rd Sep, 2013 21:24
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@DoeZ0763

It might be worth adding that all versions of psi do not monitor Beta/Dev versions of programs So psi will monitor Chrome Stable, but no others. You can however, still run a Beta/Dev version of Chrome as your default browser....which psi will use for links and connecting to the forum, if you wish.

Regards....mogs.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
DoeZ0763 RE: Like to know about compatibility please
Member 4th Sep, 2013 01:54
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Sep 2013
Thank You both for your input. It sounds as if you prefer PSI over the OSI...Now I guess I have some reading to do to figure out which version I want....1-2-or 3...I seriously hope it's easy reading lol.

I was trying to figure out which version of Chrome I have and it didn't tell me if it was Beta or Dev...I'm leaning towards Dev tho. As I recently updated it to this Version 29.0.1547.66 m

So I guess I better start reading. Thanks for your input the both of you :)

--

“The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. stone crumbles. wood rots. people, well, they die. but things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.”
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Sep, 2013 05:45
Last edited on 4th Sep, 2013 05:47
@DoeZ0763

Very basically...psi 1.0 seems to be found useful by those with an older OS....psi 2.0 generally gives more detail....psi 3.0 is designed more with basic users in mind.

The version number for Chrome you provided is the very latest Stable version.....Beta is at platform 30....and Dev and Canary builds, both at 31.

You can get more info about Releases here :-
http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.co.uk/ .......and a page with more explanation worth reading is here :-

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-chann...
Scroll further down for :-
How do I choose which channel to use?

Regards......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Sep, 2013 01:40
I think I got stuck at deciding which one I preferred and figuring out how to back everything up. That part was very confusing me to me.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Like to know about compatibility please
Expert Contributor 5th Sep, 2013 02:17
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi @DoeZ0763 ,

A couple of points may help you :-

1) A default browser on which you rely for your everyday work is probably best as the Stable version : for example : I use the Firefox Release Channel (Stable) version as my default browser and have Chrome dev-channel as my "other browser" . I tend to use them both fairly equally but for different things ; however , the Dev Channel Chrome has been playing up recently as some fundamental changes are not working as expected and would likely be annoying for regular daily use .

2) If you understand something and it makes you happy - like your lovely AV - then that is usually the way to go ; so it sounds like your Chrome Stable browser is what you need . There are plenty of ways to reduce the amount of data Google and everbody else tries to collect about you - depends on your paranoia levels .

Finally , knowing how to back up all your favourite things that you cannot afford to lose is very , very important ; and don't forget to back up your back up . Do your research ; here's an example to get you started :-

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405876,00.as...

Hope that helps .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Sep, 2013 22:40
@Anthony Wells...Thank you for that article...I will back up my laptop when I've decided what I'm doing. hehe

@Mogs...How does the Beta version of Chrome compare to the others...I've been reading about the Beta and have seen nothing but good things. How is that for an everyday browser FB browser with games etc? Interested in what you have to say.

Thanks again

Doreen

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2013 04:55
@DoeZ0763

Beta Chrome has gone thro' more testing than Dev or Canary...but is about a month from becoming the Stable.....so you get the opportunity to try some things out beforehand, with minimal risk of crashes.
As regards matters of privacy....games/FB etc.....what is maybe more important is to check your Settings in Chrome...whatever version.....check thro' cookies ( keep only those you use regularly )....have a good look thro' them at least once a week.
You come across as being a liitle adventurous, if not courageous.....but at the same time you don't want to get snagged ? Maybe the best bet is to experiment somewhat................................
Bear in mind you can use two versions of Chrome at one time...the bleeding edge Canary and any of the others. You can synchronize your settings so that although Canary changes often; it will automatically reset to those in your default browser...Dev/ Beta/Stable......Canary is run alongside, tho' is secondary, and cannot be made your default.
What I would suggest for the time being, is to keep your Stable at default...check out settings/cookies/bookmarks first.....then install Canary, and synchronise. That way you can visit your known sites and experience the different reactions etc....
As regards further privacy....you need to be erasing tracks/trails of browsing....you may find Canary is less "visible"....Disable plug ins you're not using.

Whatever version/s of Chrome you choose....whenever updated....remove the previous older file/version( together with browsing history if you so choose. ). Sometimes that can be a couple of Canary's a day....haps a clean sheet isn't easy to follow ?

As well as your usual cleaners....you may find the following program useful.....every window you open leaves traces in the registry...shellbags.....you can clean up a single item...old Chrome, in it's entirety....or do more thorough general scans on different drives....without a trace.......
If you decide to download.....you don't need the Shellbag Analyser/Cleaner if you install PrivaZer 2.2.as it is incorporated within it. See what you think.....I'm irregularly switching Chromes on my old Vista OS, but it's nothing like an old ghost !!

http://privazer.com/download.php

How to's.....http://privazer.com/support.php

It's already monitored by Secunia.

Hope it's of help/interest.....regards......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Sep, 2013 20:08
@Mogs...

I was confused at first with link for PrivaZer...looking thru it and reading it all would you say it's comparable to CCleaner? That's what I have now so I basically need to know if this is better than what I have now.

Thanks
Doreen

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2013 21:27
@DoeZ0763

I use CCleaner as well.....but PrivaZer cleans other areas....is more concerned with user's privacy, as the name suggests. It is designed so that you can begin as a basic user and progress with it, if you wish. I suggested it as you mentioned you'd become more concerned about your privacy...I thought it might have been of interest; but it isn't a "must" with regard to compatibility 'tween your browser and version of psi......have you moved on with your choices there ?

Regards.....mogs.....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Sep, 2013 00:44

Hello again ,

Cleaning up after yourself is important but you can ease your housekeeping in two ways (at least) :-

1) use the browser add-on "Do Not Track Me" (also for Firefox) ; here is the link to it in the Chrome webstore :-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/donottra...

and

2)Click on the far right icon (3 horizontal lines) in the address bar of your Chrome browser and select "New Incognito window" ; the newly opened tab will tell you what it is doing for you .

Thereafter , I personally find a quick swirl with CCleaner is all I need before retiring for the night ; you might want to go further with other add-ons which stop more intrusion/tracking , tho' I doubt they will fool the NSA or similar who seriously wants to read/steal your data :((

Hope that adds a bit more to the jigsaw :))

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 9th Sep, 2013 01:21
@Mogs...

Well I think I'm basically just going to stick with my Chrome I have...seeings how the Beta one I was liking before is becoming a stable one soon anyways makes no sense to change it now. I've actually turned off a lot of the plug-ins that I don't use when I'm in my Chrome.

As for the PSI no...haven't decided which one is best for me...really just can't figure that out. I play games on FB and download pix of my grandchildren that I like to keep private. So I really haven't a clue...haha i'm just getting more into everything and more confused sort of. UGH!!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Sep, 2013 01:26
@Anthony

I've already got that one installed and have been using it for a few yrs. now. I've been in LOVE with that one seriously. Amazing how many "Things are tracking you and you don't even know it"...spooky oO)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Sep, 2013 07:33
Last edited on 9th Sep, 2013 07:41
@DoeZ0763

Well, if you're gonna stick with the Stable version of Chrome.....which is monitored by psi..you might prefer the additional Secure Browsing feature provided in psi 2.0. Of the psi 2.0 versions, 2.0.0.3003 provides the more complete info. The last download link I read of, was in the following thread.....posted by Maurice....
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/142...

Else links for psi 2.0 ( with a less complete Secure Browsing feature ) and psi 1.0, can be found here :-
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/ see over on the right of the page.

I think I'd just reiterate that although I've got CCleaner and use "Do Not Track" in Chrome and in Canary......the number of traces of websites PriviZer finds, might be astounding......I wouldn't be without it these days !!

Regards......mogs.....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Sep, 2013 18:49
on 9th Sep, 2013 07:33, mogs wrote:
@DoeZ0763

Well, if you're gonna stick with the Stable version of Chrome.....which is monitored by psi..you might prefer the additional Secure Browsing feature provided in psi 2.0. Of the psi 2.0 versions, 2.0.0.3003 provides the more complete info. The last download link I read of, was in the following thread.....posted by Maurice....
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/142...

There wasn't any information to read just the link to download it and I prefer to read about it first.

As you, I would be lost with out my CCleaner and my DNTM...I just want to make sure that I don't have too much on my laptop that it either slows it down to a crawl or it messes with some of my other programs and something huge gets let thru and attaches to something...and I could go on...I could say it's better to have too much to protect your everything but then again I don't want it to take an hour just to sign in and check my email either. So as silly as it sounds I like it simple as can be but the most protective as can be and I want it all rolled up in one. HaHa typical female ;)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Sep, 2013 20:27
@DoeZ0763

Well, can't help with too much with official info....other than the experiences with 2.0.0.3003, over the last couple of years....I'm stuck with trying to find anything evil to say about it !!
Unfortunately, Secunia never included it the Changelog....
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

There's a bunch of past threads you might read thro' to glean what you can here :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/all_threads/?fo...

Probably, other versions have generated the most problems.....maybe that "speaks volumes"....but perhaps women prefer whispers ?! Ha!

Regards....mogs....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Sep, 2013 22:40
@Mogs...

Reading the manual for PrivaZer and going thru the checklist and all...will this be deleting like duplicate downloads or downloads from the past that have been updated already...if that makes sense haha...

I can't find any info on that secure browsing still. I'll try to just type it in and see what comes up.

But it sounds as if I'm leaning towards the PSI just trying to find a little more info. Want to know what its cleaning up and where its putting it and if I'll be able to see it before its totally gone forever. Does it get rid of old files and duplicate files.

Once I get all this info I can install these 3 items and hopefully see how they work together.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Sep, 2013 23:26
@DoeZ0763

I think you may be getting a little bit confused.
Psi doesn't clean anything......it scans the drives/programs you choose for vulnerabilities....notifies you of them....and where possible, offers updates or links to etc..
So, if for example....it found an old vulnerable file/program....it would notify you and you would make the decision as to what to do........you may have already updated the program, but, as with Chrome...it doesn't automatically remove the previous version....Psi is more about finding and fixing vulnerabilities. There's all kinds of possible scenarios.
You may have an old program which may be vulnerable to some extent....but there is no patch available from the vendor....they may have discontinued all support, and there's no alternative product available.....psi allows you to make assessments as to what to do for the best.
Hope that gives you a better idea.
The Secure Browsing feature is an extra/ separate panel/page to the Scan Results. It displays the browsers monitored, and plug-ins, and notifies as to whether or not the browser is considered safe or not for purpose.

PrivaZer is more concerned with finding traces of visits....windows opened.......cleaning your free space.....more to do with keeping your privacy....updating cookies. You can use it to delete a file without trace....I use it to delete the older version of Chrome without trace as it occurs as a single item.....in fact I use it to delete most things.....a separate function to the general scanning.

Hope that helps.....mogs.....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2013 01:13
I'm sorry if I maybe confused you with swooshing all my thoughts together lol.... I tend to do that with my MS before I actually forget and lose my concentration.

I think I was talking about the PrevaZer because after reading that manual that's what I got out of it. I believe this one cleans and deletes items in wherever I want it to...

Something also was compared to my CCleaner and the only thing I really had to decide on was what version of the PSI I was going with.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2013 00:26
@Mogs...

I downloaded PrivaZer a bit ago. I set it up basically how it recommended all but one and let it run. It took about maybe 2 hrs which it said in the manual that it would be expected so I didn't have anything else opened at the time either. I like how it showed me what it did and where it did it etc. I restarted my laptop after it was all done just because I always feel it's best to start fresh and see if you can notice a difference in the performance and everything else it said would basically happen after it cleaned everything up. After my laptop rebooted fully I noticed I had a flag down in my right corner telling me I have updates and when I opened it up I was shocked to see that I had 19 important updates waiting for me. Their were 7 for Office 2007 and 7 for Windows 7 and 5 for Office 2003 and over on the right side after clicking each one of them it says published yesterday. Seriously? I didn't get any updates yesterday so now I'm not sure if this is something that PrivaZer just deleted and Windows is trying to put back on or what.

But I'm to the question about the PSI 2 was it? Is that the that has the Secure Browsing thing with it?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2013 09:19
@DoeZ0763

PrivaZer cleans out traces of visits to websites...it looks for traces in Free Space, RAM, USN, Shellbags in the Registry, and anything adverse to user's privacy elsewhere. When you next run it...it may only take about half an hour....you'll also be offered other options for even quicker scanning......; you'll be able to watch as it scans, and what/how many it finds. Don't forget to tick the boxes for Creation of Restore Point and Registry Save at the bottom of the scan panel.
Have you checked the Advanced settings.....you have different options for Performance....I've got it set at Boost.
It won't have had anything to do with your MS updates.....are you aware that the second Tuesday of each month is Patch Tuesday ? If you havn't got Windows Update set to Auto then they will have been waiting for you since then.

Yes....psi 2.0 is the version with the Secure Browsing feature......as pointed out earlier.....psi 2.0.0.3003 is the one with the most complete facility. If you do decide to download, hang on to the exe file, if you later decide to switch to another version !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2013 19:03
@mogs...

Once again I think we got are paths crossed. When I said "MS" I meant that I have MS and that it effects that part of my brain with my thinking and confusing things. I have no clue what you meant by your MS...lol so I apologize for that confusion.

With all that said and done...when I turned on my laptop this morn it was slower than normal and it froze in spots like and I don't know how to explain that other to say that it was almost taking a break so it was frozen for some good seconds and even when I signed into my email it took forever for me to delete my spam so I moved onto my FB...and in one of my games it was freezing up as well. I don't know what started causing any of this at all but I'm thoroughly cleaning my laptop now with my CCleaner and Malwarebytes and my Avast to see if I have anything there. I don't know what else to do at this point.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2013 19:33
@DoeZ0763

The MS I was referring to was in answer to your earlier statement 'bout updates....Microsoft/Windows......No I wasn't at all aware of your impediment....your fingers work quite well forming words !! Must be the signs of a warm heart....I hope you find me easy enough reading !!

I detect a slight inference maybe, that your use of PrivaZer may be causing the "freezing" symptoms you've been experiencing ? I've never had any such reactions to using it.
When I first got my pc I used to have those kinda problems...freezing....but I quickly learned that using CHKDSK regularly seemed to negate the manifestations....in fact, the more I used it...the more it seemed to find to do....like it was waking itself up in the process !! Now it will cut in as needs be, to check the disk.
Having said all that, Canary...the latest....has been a bit more contrary today.....but occasionally..with version change, that's par for the course.
Do you defrag often ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

DoeZ0763

RE: Like to know about compatibility please
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Member 12th Sep, 2013 20:49
@mogs...

LoL...no problems my friend...it's not something that I advertise but when I get confused a bit and it's interfering with what I'm trying to understand then I kind of have to let the cat out of the bag...sotospeak ;)

Well my Malwarebytes showed 2 objects when it was done scanning and I did a full system scan took about 2hrs plus...I was able to look at these and they were PUP and malicious and I followed directions to remove them. Running my Avast now with a full system scan as well. I figure about 2hrs plus for this one too. Thankfully I'm on my PC upstairs but can't sit long in this chair...ugh :(

I'm not sure what you mean by your checkdisk thing? Should I have my settings different or am I not running something right in PravZer? I'm lost right now...never had my laptop doing this before. O and by the way before I forget...I've noticed that ever since I've come in here and I go to post something it literally takes a few minutes for it to take...It spins very slow slower than a turtle and in grey.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2013 21:57
@DoeZ0763

I think I may know a little bit more about atomic kittens...daughters are sometimes more inquisitive...but I I have no forty year old secrets to make them mad !! Ha!

CHKDSK....On my Vista operating System...can be found by going to Start Menu....Computer....clicking on C Disk and then Properties above ( with the red tick on the left side of ). That opens another panel where I can click on Tools; and then Check Now to check the volume for Errors.That can be deferred till the next start-up.

I'm finding the same today....it's slow between pages on the forum and an age before getting a Reply out....temporary server problems I suppose.
I doubt you've got settings in PrivaZer to blame..they are pretty minimal. Try the CHKDSK if you can....later on/tomorrow presumeably after you've finished with your security scans.

Is it better for you if we deal with one program at a time ? Leave the defragging till later ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2013 22:11
Well it's still going thru its Avast scanning so I'm not sure how long that'll be before I can even get back into that one. But yes it's much easier for me to tackle one problem at a time.

The one thing I did notice in the PrivaZer was that I thought there were more different types of scans on the left if I'm not mistaken?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2013 23:09
My scan is done on laptop so I'm moving back downstairs now...hopefully I don't lose power now with this storm coming in...I'll let you know when I'm there so you can get me to the next step ;)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Sep, 2013 23:46
Doreen,
If I am reading your posts correctly you are using Windows 7. If that is the case there is no requirement to carry out Check disk or Defragmentation of the hard disk as a routine. They are auto "looked after" by default.

Near your clock in the task tray is a white flag (the Action Centre). That will notify you if there is something wrong with your maintenance.(A balloon message will appear).

If you want to check that your Action Centre is working correctly (highly unlikely it is not) or want to manually verify your disk(s) are OK do this:

Right click on the Action Centre tray Icon>select Troubleshoot a Problem>A BOX WILL APPEAR>under the heading System & Security there is an option to Run Maintenance tasks> click it>a box appears> click NEXT>Now select Try Troubleshooting as an Administrator>it will run a scan.

After the scan you click here:
https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pqN4TNLHT3J...

Now scroll & look for this entry

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2p69aMYJk7fV...

If your result shows the issue is not present like my screen shot it is totally unnecessary to do anything.

To check your default defragmentation is working correctly left click on the Start Orb>Computer>Right click on the C Drive & select Properties from the drop down box>Tools>Defragmentation. The state of defragmentation is given by %. If the default scheduler is working it should read 0 or 1% in which case no action is required.

You will have noted there are many repair & maintenance tools under the Action Centre heading. They should be used as a trusted source of maintaining & repairing Windows 7.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 13th Sep, 2013 00:55
Maurice...

When I did the Check disk as mogs suggested it finished and I really don't know where to find those results. But I did follow your instructions and my results didn't look like either of your windows...well it did the 1st one when I got the view results...but mine had some items in there and now I have no clue on what to do to fix them...

It shows me I have the following...

Broken shortcuts

6 Troubleshooting history is taking up disk space

System time is incorrectly set

Unused desktop icons

Disk volume errors

5 Error reports are taking up disk space

Now the ones with the amount listed when I click on that it shows me something otherwise I'm lost.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 13th Sep, 2013 02:12
Can you please clarify that you carried out a full scan disk as described by @mogs? If you did, which of these boxes were ticked (check marked) before you clicked Check Now?

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2psvv1o3R641...

Also please confirm that after that check you ran the proper Windows 7 Maintenance Task which resulted in numerous errors that were not fixed including disk errors.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Sep, 2013 16:25
Yes that is what was marked. And I didn't I was supposed to run a Windows 7 Maintenance Task after that. But I believe I did try that and now my laptop is just messed up I couldn't even get on the internet this morning and I was up @5:00 a.m. trying to work on this before my grandson gets here today. I think at this point because I have no clue where I am or what to do I'm just going to do a system restore to about 4 days ago and maybe someone will be able to help from the beginning before I run PrivaZer? or after?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Sep, 2013 17:44
Ok I restored my laptop for 2 days ago. The first thing I'm going to do is fix my AV software...because I remember seeing something about it wasn't compatible with my windows or something like that...and hopefully someone will be here to tell me if I should do the my PrivaZer first or my Windows CHKDSK and maintenance list first...but either way I'm in need of help with this please.

Thanks
Doreen

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Sep, 2013 23:02

Hi Doreen ,

Sorry to hear about the old MS ; not a fun thing :((

If you are back to up and running and no freezes then I should wait for some input from Maurice before you use any "new" cleaning programmes ; even thi inbuilt W7 ones .

While you wait patiently twiddling your thumbs you could try installing PSI 2. It seems usually to be less likely to slow down your lap top but you will need to check what it does to you if you let it load on boot . It is not likely to freeze you but even if there is a problem it is usually real easy to uninstall .

Give it atwirl and let us know how you go .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Sep, 2013 07:34
@Doreen
I have not answered till now as I was waiting to see what transpired from earlier posts. I'm not a Windows7 user and am not familiar with it's many attributes etc..

What started out as a request for advice regarding compatibility is, I feel, in danger of becoming overly complex....my fault possibly.....and unbeknowing of your greater difficulty till later.

I have since been reliably informed that you have an Action Centre in W7 with all the tools contained therein to enable you to find disk errors, clean and defrag your system. Look into that if you will....set as many things in order as you can, firstly.

I don't think for one moment that PrivaZer will have done any harm....but it's probably for the best that you set it to one side for the time being.

I tend to agree with Anthony...once you've done some cleaning up.....install the psi to get the vulnerability "picture".

Regards....mogs.....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2013 14:42
@mogs & Anthony...

My laptop is up and running for the most part...I'm sure it's still messed up as I was just too dang tired to finish doing anything and honestly I just don't know what I'm doing anymore at this point.

I'm not blaming this on anyone or anything so get that out of your heads if anything it's my fault because my brain doesn't understand what I'm trying to do lol...so I'm the one to blame. But I have just a little bit of time today before I have attempt to go to store for grandson's Birthday gifts and then get back to watch my other grandson so then I can work on it some more here and there. But in the mean time I'll just wait for Maurice Joyce because I have to get my Windows stuff fixed first. Unless that's something that PSI2 does?

Thanks
Doreen

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Sep, 2013 18:26
@Doreen

My concience hasn't kept me awake all night for ages !! Ha! 'Nuff said and move on.
Don't know if you installed all those Windows updates you said you'd found the other day....lots of people have had problems with some of them....a good reason to see what psi has to "say".
Psi won't install any for you...but it will detect if any needed are missing.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2013 18:39
Ya those updates are just for like Microsoft Works or Office stuff like that...I think I already had them up to date and its basically telling me that I don't have them updated...

But I've been waiting and haven't heard from the other party...so I think I'll just put the PSI on try that I guess...Can you put the link of which one I need here please...and what do I need to do with it...setting wise etc?

Thanks mogs ;)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Sep, 2013 19:29
@Doreen

Probably easier to start with the psi 2.0 found here :
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/
See the download link on the right of the page.
Have a look thro' the System Requirements on that page also to satisfy yourself, before.

You may need to make some changes to settings.....you can check thro' those here :-

To function correctly the Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers. If you experience any issues where the Secunia PSI cannot complete scanning or where the interface will not load and show you the detected programs, then please do the following.

Open the control panel.
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Click OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
Click Close then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.
Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.

If you are still having problems with the Secunia PSI, the services on which the Secunia PSI depends may have been disabled. To verify that they are running, type “Administrative tools” in the start menu search bar or open Administrative tools from the Control Panel.

Now click the Services tool and verify that the “Secunia PSI Agent” is listed and has its “Startup type” set to “Automatic”

Hopefully, that will enable you to get psi up and running....there are other settings to configure within psi.....we can deal with those when you're ready.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2013 20:18
Ok the only thing I needed to do was to to update my windows and I was assuming that meant everything that was in there so I just went ahead and update the important stuff.

So now I'll download it...what do I do after I download it?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Sep, 2013 20:32
@Doreen

Best carry out the download first and let's see how the psi interface comes up......like I stated in my previous post, you may need to make some changes....if it's all ticketyboo, you'll be able to proceed with Configuring psi from the Dashboard.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2013 20:59
Well I ran it and it only came up with 2 items both having to do with adobe. One was easily updated and the other I'm having a problem with...says its End of Life and I tried to look for a patch but its not doing anything. I'm trying to find a patch for "Adobe SVG Viewer 3.x" and again it's just sitting there after I hit search.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Sep, 2013 21:21
@Doreen

Tho' it's showing as End of Life.....it appears not vulnerable when all patches have been applied : as can be seen in the Secunia Advisory here :-
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/2303/

Vulnerability Report: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.x
This vulnerability report for Adobe SVG Viewer 3.x contains a complete overview of all Secunia advisories affecting it. You can use this vulnerability report to ensure that you are aware of all vulnerabilities, both patched and unpatched, affecting this product allowing you to take the necessary precautions.

If you have information about a new or an existing vulnerability in Adobe SVG Viewer 3.x then you are more than welcome to contact us.

Vendor, Links, and Unpatched Vulnerabilities

Vendor Adobe Systems

Product Link View Here (Link to external site)

Affected By 2 Secunia advisories
1 Vulnerabilities

Monitor Product Receive alerts for this product

Unpatched 0% (0 of 2 Secunia advisories)

Most Critical Unpatched
There are no unpatched Secunia advisories affecting this product, when all vendor patches are applied..

It seems that it's safe to continue using it if you wish.

Have you configured psi to run at boot, so on and so forth ? You're not stuck at the lights anywhere are you ?!!!!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mamazita RE: Like to know about compatibility please
Member 14th Sep, 2013 23:01
User Since: 14th Sep 2013
@mogs

It's me Doreen...I'm telling ya I have no clue in this world after following the directions on creating my profile of which I thought I already made one but I tried to reconnect with it and that wasn't working so I tried shortening it and that wasn't working either so I just screw it and made a new name. This is for the birds.

As for my PSI and that patch for my adobe thing...I don't know what all that means in that language from what I could see I'm guessing there isn't a patch for it? My item says "The End" and I'm guessing that I have to just uninstall it? Or does PSI do that too? I really don't know anymore.

Sorry...it's just getting aggravating that I can't make my profile and this here the same thing same username same PW same everything it's silly to me.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 00:15
@Doreen

Tho' the Adobe program is shown as End of Life...according to the Secunia Advisory it's not vulnerable.....you can continue to use it until such time as it becomes vulnerable.
If you don't really need it....delete it....the choice is yours.

Did you fill in the Community profile panel in the psi Configure section ? It's not imperative...psi can be used without it.
Have you checked the details in the My Profile panel...see the tab above.
If you wish you can tick the box at the bottom of the panel to show your system score with your posts............Don't forget to click on Save Changes ( bottom right ), if you do make any changes.

I had the same problem some time ago....lost the lot and had to start again.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Sep, 2013 00:44
Where am I deleting it from? And is that all that I do with PSI?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 01:12
@Doreen

You can delete the program by going to your Control Panel...and then your Program list, or thro' psi.........Go to Scan Results....see the +sign on the left side of the vulnerable program..click on that.It will open to show Detected Instances.....you'll see two folder icons....click on the one without the red dot.
That will open Windows Explorer and you can right click and delete the item.

You can look at things like the Secure Browsing feature...if you havn't already done so. You might decide that you want the greater detail we touched upon a while back. Have you decided whether to allow Auto Updating ?
Sometimes programs leave behind Zombie files...old versions....Chrome very notably......what you'll do with psi depends on a number of factors.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 01:31
@Doreen

Just a thought re scanning with psi.....you can carry out a manual scan at any time....it will auto scan seven days after the last.
So, if you'd prefer it to auto scan on a Sunday....do one today and it will scan next week. If you scan manually anytime between, it will alter that cycle.
Hope that's clear enough.

I'm off to get some kip now...........mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 15th Sep, 2013 01:34
Ok I think I got rid of it running a new scan now...can't figure out how to get the auto update thing to work nothing is coming up...

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Sep, 2013 01:45
Scan completed @100%

I also saw that the Auto Update had a green checkmark at the right side of it.

Now I can't figure out how to post it to my profile everytime and I glanced thru the manual too :(

--

Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 08:02
@Doreen

Brill....well done.....

To get the score posted on the forum, you need to get into your profile....first by clicking on the "My Profile " tab.....look at the top of the page here....above sub-headings, but below the Secunia ad....
once you're in the profile....go to the bottom of the page on the left and place a check mark in the System Score box.
Repeat your password and Save Changes.
Your score should now show up in the detail to left of your posts.
mamazita

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Sep, 2013 14:00
@mogs...

Let's see if I did that right...and now that it says 100% is there reason to do my PrasVer or however you spell it lol?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 14:59
@Doreen

Well, it's not showing yet....maybe it's a glitch.
I tell you what you can try meantime....is to check that your default browser is properly set up for links....it will be of help in the future.

If you open psi....Dashboard....See Learn More, under Configuration....then click on Support/Forum...underneath all the detail/explanation you'll see "Visit the Community Forum" in blue.
Clicking on that should open your default browser and bring you directly to the forum.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DoeZ RE: Like to know about compatibility please
Member 15th Sep, 2013 15:10
Score: 2
System Score: 88%
Ok I did that and it brought me here...under my user name DoeZ...how weird?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 15:23
@Doreen

Well, if you've done everything correctly in the "My Profile"....it may be best to leave things alone for the time being....it could sort itself out over the next day or so.
I'm still getting odd delays...the site is not running as smoothly as it has in times past....so maybe it's best to "wait and see" now.
The fact that we know your default browser is working properly will probably save problems in time to come.

Yes...give PrivaZer a spin around the block if you wish.....it shouldn't take as long as your initial scan.....when it is doin' the bizz watch the things that it scans and the percentages/items it finds.

You may not always notice an immediate effect on performance....but over a few days.
I presume you're not experiencing the freezing issues that you were ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Sep, 2013 16:05
Last edited on 15th Sep, 2013 16:34
Ok...are there certain settings that I need to do in that PrivaZer to do it right? And I believe I saw other types of scans as well over on the left...

Somehow it won't keep my location no matter how many times I do it. UGH >_<

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 19:00
@ Well, your System Score is now showing at 99% !! Perhaps it's just a matter of time, for the location.

The PrivaZER start UI panel has all the options to choose/set on the left :-

Contact us
Advanced options
Update
Getting Started

Both Getting Started and Advanced are straightforward enough to work your way thro'.

That panel also shows the areas/items that can be scanned....C disk, Data, USB, etc....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 23:11
@Doreen

It might be a good idea for you to close this thread now....some of your posts on it show no score, just the most recent.....closing it may help to straighten things out a little.

As the originator of the thread you can close it by pressing Accept on any post you may feel helped you best.......for future reference, worth noting, that closing a thread prevents tag-on posts and reminder e mails to your in box.

If you still have any issues....99% possibly (?), just open a new thread.

Regards.....mogs..........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Sep, 2013 01:45
@mogs...

Where do I find the accept button? And should I be running the other one PrivaZer?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Sep, 2013 04:23
@Doreen

You should see the the Accept button, bottom/right of each post...next to Reply/Quote.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

DoeZ

[+]
Member 16th Sep, 2013 23:17
@mogs

Sorry been a long day for me at Dr's.

For this one here I do not see an Accept button. And when I returned home I had more than 10 emails that are scaring me about hackers with some very bad vulnerabilities.

DESCRIPTION:
A vulnerability has been reported in Cisco Unified MeetingPlace,
which can be exploited by malicious people to conduct cross-site
scripting attacks.

I don't know what to do. How can I contact someone about these 3 accounts that I made...I need to just make this into just one...I want my username in here to be DoeZ tho and it was telling me I had to have a certain amount of letters. I need someone's help with all of this to straighten this is out once and for all so there's no more confusion and my profile is correct with everything and then when I run my PSI it'll post correctly etc. Is there anyone that helps with that?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Sep, 2013 23:32
@Doreen

Are you sure that's the correct program name ?

I can find Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7935
and others, in the Secunia Advisories; but nothing by the name you've given.

If you have "Meeting Place" on your computer....you'd best do a Software Suggestion via psi, so that it gets included in their list of programs to monitor.......Go to Scan Results page....top right..."Are you missing a program?"....click on that and fill in the box/panel details.
They usually don't take very long....and you'll receive an e mail from Support to confirm when it's been dealt with.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Sep, 2013 23:42
@Doreen

Forget about the others....tho' they're still showing further back on this same thread.....you are already set up as Doez and psi is posting your System Score.

DoeZ

New Member 16th Sep, 2013 23:17
System Score: 99%

If you'd done as I suggested earlier....closed this thread and opened another....it might have been clearer for you.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Sep, 2013 23:44
This was the very first email I got and they keep coming they're not stopping...

Secunia SmallBusiness beta:
Enterprise class security made simple
Security for SMBs and IT Consultants - because antivirus is not enough
TRY IT NOW FOR FREE: http://Secunia.com/smb

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------

TITLE:
Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches "ONEP" Denial of Service
Vulnerability

SECUNIA ADVISORY ID:
SA54903

VERIFY ADVISORY:
Secunia.com
http://secunia.com/advisories/54903/
Customer Area (Credentials Required)
https://ca.secunia.com/?page=viewadvisory&vuln_id=...

RELEASE DATE:
2013-09-16

DISCUSS ADVISORY:
http://secunia.com/advisories/54903/#comments

AVAILABLE ON SITE AND IN CUSTOMER AREA:
* Last Update
* Popularity
* Comments
* Criticality Level
* Impact
* Where
* Solution Status
* Operating System / Software
* CVE Reference(s)

http://secunia.com/advisories/54903/

ONLY AVAILABLE IN CUSTOMER AREA:
* Authentication Level
* Report Reliability
* Secunia PoC
* Secunia Analysis
* Systems Affected
* Approve Distribution
* Remediation Status
* Secunia CVSS Score
* CVSS

https://ca.secunia.com/?page=viewadvisory&vuln_id=...

ONLY AVAILABLE WITH SECUNIA CSI AND SECUNIA PSI:
* AUTOMATED SCANNING

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/corporat...

DESCRIPTION:
A vulnerability has been reported in Cisco Nexus 3000 Series
Switches, which can be exploited by malicious users to cause a DoS
(Denial of Service).

The vulnerability is caused due to an error when handling certain
Open Network Environment Platform (ONEP) requests and can be
exploited to cause the device to reload via specially crafted
packets.

The vulnerability is reported in Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches
running NX-OS versions 6.0(2)U1(1) and 6.0(2)U1(2). Prior versions
may also be affected.

SOLUTION:
Update to version 6.0(2)U1(3).

PROVIDED AND/OR DISCOVERED BY:
Reported by the vendor.

ORIGINAL ADVISORY:
Cisco (CSCui51551):
http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/Cis...
http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/viewAlert.x...

OTHER REFERENCES:
Further details available in Customer Area:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_intelligence/

DEEP LINKS:

EXTENDED DESCRIPTION:

EXTENDED SOLUTION:

EXPLOIT:

About:
This Advisory was delivered by Secunia as a free service to help
private users keeping their systems up to date against the latest
vulnerabilities.

Subscribe:
http://secunia.com/advisories/secunia_security_adv...

Definitions: (Criticality, Where etc.)
http://secunia.com/advisories/about_secunia_adviso...

Please Note:
Secunia recommends that you verify all advisories you receive by
clicking the link.
Secunia NEVER sends attached files with advisories.
Secunia does not advise people to install third party patches, only
use those supplied by the vendor.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Sep, 2013 23:44
Doreen,
You have activated the option to receive Security advisories by email via your profile. You are correct that one was released today.

You do not want that option if you do not understand them & you should adjust your profile.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Sep, 2013 23:46
I haven't even opened up my PSI yet to run a scan...I'm thinking maybe I'm getting all these emails because I subscribed to a few things on the left of my profile?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Sep, 2013 23:48
Correct - take the ticks (check marks) out of all four boxes.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Sep, 2013 00:05
Thank you I just did that. Now can you please tell me how can I merge my DoeZ0763 & DoeZ account together and delete my mamazita account altogether so I don't keep getting confused with everything.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Sep, 2013 01:20
You need to contact support at support@secunia.com.

They will need to know the email address used for each profile & a statement authorising them to delete the two accounts you do not wish to remain on their database.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

Maurice Joyce

[+]
Member 17th Sep, 2013 20:38
Thank You so much for that info Maurice Joyce. I think what was getting me confused was when I was trying to set up my PSI with my username and I tried to type in DoeZ0763 it said I couldn't use that it was already taken and it was me so I didn't know what to do so I shortened it. Now I have a mess. So I'll write to them and hopefully they'll be able to help me sort this out. Thanks again I appreciate the help.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability