xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
gene1000 Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Member 10th Sep, 2013 21:27
Ranking: 1
User Since: 10th Sep, 2013
System Score: N/A
Tried both PSI 2 and 3. The program and the update are both listed under "Services", but it stalls under "Loading". Keeps on and simply hangs there.

Tried the things listed in the currently locked thread, including adding Secunia to my "Trusted Sites", but to no avail.

Running Win 7 on HP Laptop, 64 bit.

Version 2 ran before, but will not now. Tried version 3, same issue.

Any fixes?
Thank you.

Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Handling Contributor 10th Sep, 2013 22:03
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Try a reinstall using this link:

http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Let the installer auto remove the old version before it reinstalls.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Member 10th Sep, 2013 22:08
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Just as a poss. oversight are sure you've allowed it through your firewall?

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
gene1000 RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Member 11th Sep, 2013 00:39
Score: 1
User Since: 10th Sep 2013
Removed and reinstalled PSI using the link provided. Did not help. Also tried Revo Uninstaller to remove it after a reinstall, but still no luck.

Secunia was not listed in my win firewall, so I added it. Unfortunately, still no luck. The program just hangs on "Loading".

Unfortunate, because I feel that it's a great program.

Any other ideas?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2013 05:39
I checked win 7 registry for the psi user id.
Went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Secunia\PSI

I clicked on PSI & in the right hand pane there was NO user id. It is supposed to be a digit number, correct?

Looks like this?
https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pEiFWuKOjMd...

Perhaps this may be the problem. I've tried everything, but how do I get the user id copied to my registry? Why doesn't it copy there when I do an install?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Handling Contributor 11th Sep, 2013 10:30
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I cannot open your Skydrive screen shot - is it open to the public?

You are correct - there should be a 50 digit ID - without that PSI cannot complete a start up audit hence the hang.

This key is not removed if you allow Secunia to uninstall it either manually via Windows Explorer or using the auto feature included in the installer.

In theory a new User ID should be created on an install hence my original suggestion to reinstall.

Why that is not happening is pure guesswork. Which version of Revo did you use? Was it used in the advanced mode? If so, what keys did you authorise it to remove?

I would give a reinstall another chance using the link from here:

https://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

Just let it run to see if it clears the corruption by self uninstall/reinstall.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2013 16:40
OK, I'll try another reinstall, but first I just got a message from the Secunia tray icon to "check my Internet connection". Apparently it thinks that I'm not connected, but I am. Otherwise my browser wouldn't work and I wouldn't be able to send you this note.

Everything on the computer says I'm connected to the Web, except Secunia.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2013 17:15
Last edited on 11th Sep, 2013 17:19
Tried the reinstall again from the link you suggested. No luck. The registry still does not show an ID code.

I went into "advanced windows firewall, inbound rules". Secunia PCI is listed twice. One of the listing indicated "no" regarding allowing inbound rules. I changed it to "yes". Unfortunately, this had no effect. I checked again and now Secunia PCI is listed four times in "inbound rules"....twice listed as "domain" and twice listed as "private". All indicate "yes" as to enabled for inbound rules. Perhaps this latest reinstall added two more.

Secunia is listed under admin services twice. Once as PSI and once as updater. Both are started and both are set to automatic.

This is getting frustrating, but as you know, that is how computers are.

Appreciate any other suggestions. Apparently the program thinks I'm not connected to the Internet, but I am. And still no ID code listed in the registry.

Thanks again for your help.

EDIT: by the way, Secunia IS being allowed thru my win firewall, at least that is what it indicates.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Member 11th Sep, 2013 18:49
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Just out of curiosity: what anti virus are you running? Have you tried disabling it "before" doing the reinstall? Windows 7 has had problems with both MS security essentials and other AV programs. Try using the PSI search to research other Topics and threads for remedies.

Luck

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2013 20:52
Yes, I tried disabling my anti-virus (Bitdefender), but no luck. It's not the anti-virus because I have another computer with the same anti-virus and Secunia is running fine in that machine.

Someone at Secunia needs to figure this stuff out.

Thanks for the help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Expert Contributor 11th Sep, 2013 22:03
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@gene1000

Lots of W7 users have had difficulty with psi 3.0....you've been switching from one to the other....I think you ought to start afresh.
Clear the lot out using Revo in Advanced mode, and then check your firewall...so that there are no entries for Secunia. Clear out temporary files etc.. with your cleaner..and whatever else you can think of. I'd also run CHKDSK to check for lost, orphaned and unindexed files so on and so forth....Consistancy of the disk.
Then try installing psi 2.0....I'm showing two permissions with Full access in my firewall....Secunia psi and Secunia psi Agent. Have another look thro the Settings in the FAQ....a setting sometimes gets altered between versions/installs.

It may be worth trying.....hope it helps....regards.....mogs.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2013 00:25
"Have another look thro the Settings in the FAQ....a setting sometimes gets altered between versions/installs".

I'm not certain what the "settings in the FAQ" are. Could you please direct me specifically to what I must do....thank you for your help on this. Very appreciated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2013 01:10
I removed Secunia using Revo in Advanced mode as you suggested and removed any references to Secunia in the Registry and Windows Firewall. I installed psi 2.0 as you recommended. When I attempted to use PSI, it told me "unable to retrieve PSI user ID from Secunia".

Also, Secunia is NOT listed in the Registry under "Software", despite the installation. Secunia PSI Agent is listed in "Services", but the updater is NOT listed.

I appreciate your help, but I am quite upset that the designers of this well-intended software have done a terrible job of putting it together. I don't know what to do at this point, other than reformatting the computer...which is absolutely out of the question.....and probably would not work anyway.

Could you please pass this issue on to the designers and please ask them to put something out that works.

Appreciate your efforts to help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2013 08:48
@gene1000

If you're not familiar with the Settings for psi in the FAQ; it is very likely that those on your computer are not in full accordance with them. So you should work your way thro' them meticulously to make sure your's correspond.

See below.....taken from here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Running and scanning with the Secunia PSI
The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?

To function correctly the Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers. If you experience any issues where the Secunia PSI cannot complete scanning or where the interface will not load and show you the detected programs, then please do the following.

Open the control panel.
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Click OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
Click Close then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.
Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.

If you are still having problems with the Secunia PSI, the services on which the Secunia PSI depends may have been disabled. To verify that they are running, type “Administrative tools” in the start menu search bar or open Administrative tools from the Control Panel.

Now click the Services tool and verify that the “Secunia PSI Agent” is listed and has its “Startup type” set to “Automatic”.

Windows XP users can also try the following: Navigate to the folder where you installed the PSI (usually C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI). Right-click the file “psi” and choose “Properties”. Go to the Compatibility tab and place a check at “Turn off advanced text services for this program”. Click OK.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 12th Sep, 2013 18:19
Thank you, Mogs.

Actually, I've tried all of those measures numerous times. See my posts above.

So now, I removed Secunia again, using Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode. Then I shut down my anti-virus program and reinstalled PSI version 2.

When I tried opening the program, it tells me once again that it is "Unable to retrieve PSI user ID from Secunia".

"Services" has the PSI agent listed and automatically started, but not the updater.

The Registry shows NO entries for Secunia under "Local Machine" or "Current User" despite the fresh installation.

I've just about given up. Perhaps you could please pass this thread on to the designers of the software.

Thanks again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2013 18:55
Well, I finally got the program to work.

I suggest the mods pass this solution on to others who may be having issues with Windows 7.

I ran the program in "Compatibility Mode" for Windows XP, Svc Pack 2. IT WORKED!!!

The Registry now shows the user ID code; "Services" now lists both PSI agent and updater.

Apparently, the program may not be designed to work properly in Windows 7. At least, not on my computer.

I accept any and all contributions for my solution.....
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Expert Contributor 12th Sep, 2013 19:10
Last edited on 12th Sep, 2013 20:42
@gene1000

I was about to offer another possible solution....provided by Secunia , some time ago....
Former helpers, please take note that if the "Secunia Update Agent" is missing from the list of services, that is almost positively the problem and should be addressed before other troubleshooting steps. Thank you kindly.............
The solution meant use of the command line ....which I've never used, but has been of use to others........but you're fixed up....and your fix may be found useful too. W7 users tho' have seemed to get more snagged up with psi 3.0. Glad you're over all that frustration......

Regards.....mogs........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mirfieldtyke RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Member 13th Sep, 2013 19:57
User Since: 13th Sep 2013
Last edited on 13th Sep, 2013 20:03
I tried mogs' comment about "you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer". The problem I was having was in Internet Explorer - adding the above URL appears to have done the trick but how are we supposed to know that if we hadn't searched on this forum? I didn't even realize that Secunia PSI used IE!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Postumous RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Member 19th Sep, 2013 21:15
User Since: 1st Dec 2012
Last edited on 19th Sep, 2013 21:17
I've been having this same problem, but there is NO way I'm going to go through all the stuff you have only to still have the problem. You are correct, something is wrong with this program. Check the number of views this thread has!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cartan RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Member 22nd Sep, 2013 01:09
User Since: 22nd Sep 2013
FWIW, adding https://*.secunia.com to Internet Explorer's Trusted Sites fixed the problem for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
briSec RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...
Member 28th Sep, 2013 18:53
User Since: 28th Sep 2013
Thanks cartan! Also fixed the problem I had for several months - after having adding the URL to IE's trusted sites, PSI loaded within a minute.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability