Forum Thread: Buggy MS Patch Reports

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
mogs Buggy MS Patch Reports
Member 11th Sep, 2013 17:01
Ranking:
User Since: 22nd Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A

--

mogs RE: Buggy MS Patch Reports
Member 12th Sep, 2013 12:51
Score:
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Sep, 2013 11:18
Score:

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
taffy078 RE: Buggy MS Patch Reports
Contributor 13th Sep, 2013 17:54
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
How are you, young man? Well, I hope.

Good to see you're still very much on the ball - this affected me so I've posted in the PSI section.

I've also posted a link to here on the Norton forum

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Mr-T...

as there's not much evidence yet that ordinary users are aware of these Microsoft update issues.

Keep up the good work, Mogs. Will get in touch when my crown green bowling season ends in a few weeks!

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Buggy MS Patch Reports
Contributor 13th Sep, 2013 17:56
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
PS I've also emailed a link to here to all of my family and friends - both of them (!).

One funny smartypants has replied "get a MAC - you won't have any problems!". Is that true?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Sep, 2013 18:15
Score:
@taffy

I'm touchy today about mention of being on the ball !! The wife just got me a heavymetal wizard paperweight with a philosopher's stone firmly esconced between his legs !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2013 06:51
Score:
@taffy

One funny smartypants has replied "get a MAC - you won't have any problems!". Is that true?

Mac users: You have to patch too
Summary: OS X and Mac applications have security vulnerabilities too; some people still don't believe it, but it's true. Here are the latest ones and why you need to take them seriously.

By Larry Seltzer for Zero Day | September 13, 2013 -- 15:35 GMT (16:35 BST)

The release yesterday of OS X 10.8.5 caps a a fairly busy security update season for Mac users. Yes, you thought Windows users were getting all the grief? In fact, Mac users have a lot of work to do too to keep their systems safe. And it's not just updates from Apple you need.

Along with 10.8.5, Apple released Security Update 2013-0004 for OS X 10.7 (Snow Leopard) and for 10.8 (Lion) and a separate security update for Safari for Mac on Lion (10.6), bringing it to version 5.1.10.

The security updates in 10.8.5 and 2013-004 address 31 separate vulnerabilities, the oldest of which was confirmed and fixed 18 months ago. Taking forever to patch vulnerabilities is common for Apple. A total of 9 vulnerabilities patched in these latest updates date from 2012, although these all seem to be in server processes such as Apache and OpenSSL.

But many are the type to affect most Mac users: Two vulnerabilities in the handling of graphic data in PDF files, both reported to Apple by Google, could result in malicious code execution simply by opening a PDF.

Lots more to read here :-
http://www.zdnet.com/mac-users-you-have-to-patch-t...

Why all the errors in Microsoft updates lately?
Summary: September makes 3 months in a row that Microsoft has issued buggy patches, 3 of which had to be pulled from distribution. Perhaps Microsoft has too many products to have one patch cycle.

Larry Seltzer
By Larry Seltzer for Zero Day | September 13, 2013 -- 12:30 GMT (13:30 BST)

Read the article here :-
http://www.zdnet.com/why-all-the-errors-in-microso...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2013 20:41
Score:

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Sep, 2013 11:17
Score:
Patch expert wants Ballmer to get to the bottom of buggy Windows, Office updates
Susan Bradley calls string of flawed patches 'unacceptable;' Microsoft manager argues Office updates are 'very high' quality

By Gregg Keizer
September 16, 2013 02:55 PM ET

Computerworld - A Microsoft MVP -- Most Valued Professional -- and Windows expert has sent company CEO Steve Ballmer a letter asking him to look into the worrisome trend of sub-standard patches that crippled computers, forced IT personnel to scramble to undo snafus and damaged Microsoft's hard-earned reputation.

Susan Bradley, one of the moderators of the Patchmanagement.org email list -- called a "listserv" -- who also frequently offers free advice on Microsoft's support forums and writes a weekly column on patching for the "Windows Secrets" newsletter, posted her Ballmer letter to the list last Wednesday.

"On behalf of everyone in this community, may I respectfully request that you assign someone in a management position to investigate what is going on with quality control with patch testing lately?" Bradley asked Ballmer.

"This month in particular leaves me deeply disturbed that issues that should have been found before these updates were released are being found by us -- your customers -- after they are released and we are having to deal with the aftermath," Bradley continued. "Bottom line, sir, this is unacceptable to all of us in the patching community, and quite frankly, it should be just as unacceptable to you."

Bradley cited issues with many of the Sept. 10 updates, including one that emptied the Outlook 2013 folder pane and four others that repeatedly demanded customers install them even after they had been deployed.

More to read at :-
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9242423/Pat...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Sep, 2013 19:38
Score:
Another flawed Office update tells users to buy the suite
Breaks file associations in Office 2010 Starter Edition; some customers smell conspiracy

By Gregg Keizer
September 19, 2013 09:49 AM ET

Computerworld - Microsoft yesterday acknowledged yet another problem with its Sept. 10 updates, confirming that one of those fixes broke Office 2010 Starter Edition by changing the file associations of already-created documents.

"After installing this update, some users have reported they are unable to open files by double-clicking them, that the file type icons have changed, and that they must go to the application to open files," Microsoft's Office team said in a company blog post Wednesday.

Some customers, said Microsoft, were even told that they needed to buy a copy of the full-scale Office, which starts at $140 for Office Home & Student 2013.

Lots more to read at :-
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9242514/Ano...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Sep, 2013 14:23
Score:

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.