Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: 6.0 Agent Not Installing on Windows 2008 Servers

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
CSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
dsoper 6.0 Agent Not Installing on Windows 2008 Servers
Member 17th Sep, 2013 18:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Jun, 2012
System Score: N/A
I updated CSI from 5.0 to 5.0, and I've got 2 Windows 2008 R2 servers where the 5.0 agent uninstalled, but the 6.0 agent will not install. All other Windows 2008 servers installed fine. Anyone have any idea what may be going on and how to troubleshoot the problem?

This user no longer exists RE: 6.0 Agent Not Installing on Windows 2008 Servers
Secunia Official 18th Sep, 2013 15:37
Last edited on 18th Sep, 2013 15:38 Hi,

Could you perhaps find the 'SecuniaPackage.log' (C:\Windows) on the two servers that failed to install the Agent and post the content of the logs that regard the installation of the Agent. In particular, I am interested to know the return code written in the log file - was that return code 2?

We are looking forward towards your reply.

Kind regards / Stay Secure
Rosen Danailov / Security+
Secunia Customer Support
dsoper RE: 6.0 Agent Not Installing on Windows 2008 Servers
Member 18th Sep, 2013 17:01
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Jun 2012
System Score: N/A
The file "SecuniaPackage.log" isn't there, or anywhere else on those 2 machines (I ran a search). It is on all the servers where the agent installed correctly. I did attempt to install the agent manually with the debug flag set. Would that debug log be of any assistance?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: 6.0 Agent Not Installing on Windows 2008 Servers
Secunia Official 19th Sep, 2013 10:12
Hi,

If the SecuniaPackage.log is not available on the system, this would mean that Windows Update had not even had the chance to launch the Agent installer. This indicates that the technical problem in the current case occurs before the package is actually being executed.

In such cases, the WindowsUpdate.log file would be very helpful to determine why the package is not being launched for installation. In the vast of the cases the issue would be that WU cannot verify the digital signature of the certificate used to sign your package.

If you look at the time stamps in the WindowsUpdate.log at the time when you attempted to install your Agent package, you would likely notice the errors that occurred for that package. If I am correct, you should see a message yielding 'Verifying signature for C:\Windows\... ' followed by a message yielding 'Error ... Could not verify digital signature for C:\Windows\...'.

This would mean that the servers in question are missing the important WSUS Publishers Self-Signed certificate public key copy (it may as well be your own certificate that is added to your CSI-WSUS GPO) which is usually distributed by the CSI-WSUS GPO. It could be that the GPO does not cover those hosts and therefore the certificate is missing on the Clients.

Kindly, check your WindowsUpdate.log file and let us know your findings. If you find another error different than the one I mentioned, please post the exact error code here so that I am able to determine the reason for you.

Kind regards / Stay Secure
Rosen Danailov / Security+
Secunia Customer Support

Please remember to mark as 'Answers' the comments that help you fix the issue you experience. This helps us evaluate how helpful is this information to your daily work.

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+