Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Uninstallation packages

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
CSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
gpnmb_secunia Uninstallation packages
Member 18th Sep, 2013 12:59
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
Hello, I have problems with uninstallation programs which are marked as \"No\" under \"Uninstallable\" column. How can I uninstall these programs?

This user no longer exists RE: Uninstallation packages
Secunia Official 18th Sep, 2013 16:52
Last edited on 18th Sep, 2013 16:54 Hi,

Secunia attempts to deliver as much as pre-configured Uninstall packages as possible, but there is a pretty large amount of software yet to be covered. The packages that are labeled with 'Yes' under 'Uninstallable' column are in fact pre-configured by default by Secunia.

The packages that are labeled with 'No' require you to provide certain configuration in addition to make your package work. Basically, although there would be an active Jscript template in your package configuration, this package would lack important Uninstall data, as follows:

a) var ProductRegExps = [ ] ;

Here you need to insert the Uninstall string for the particular application you desire to Uninstall. This Uninstall string can be found within the registry on any system running the software in question. Here is the path to that location:

regedit.exe > HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Uninstall

Inside this registry entry, you will find a bunch of GUIDs, each one corresponding to the GUID of an application installed on the local system. You need to find the correct folder that holds your application's data and then alocate the UninstallString key.

The value of this key would look like the following:
MsiExec.exe /X{2EDC2FA3-1F34-34E5-9085-588C9EFD1CC6}

Double-click on the UninstallString key (or right-click > Modify Binary Data) and then copy the value in it. Paste the copied information within the JScript template in the CSI, on the line "var ProductRegExps = [ ] ;" in-between the brackets after the equal (=) character.

At the end, this line should look like:
"var ProductRegExps = [ MsiExec.exe /X{2EDC2FA3-1F34-34E5-9085-588C9EFD1CC6} ] ;"

From that point onwards, your package shall be ready for publishing. When the package arrives at the local system, WU will execute the Uninstall string in Shell which would then Uninstall your program from the system.

Please note that Secunia CSC does not officially provide troubleshooting support for Uninstall packages as they are an optional feature in CSI and it is solely up to customers to configure their packages. However, if you follow the steps I listed here, there shouldn't be any problems to have your package working well and as expected. If you encounter an issue, kindly let me know though.

Kind regards / Stay Secure
Rosen Danailov / Security+
Secunia Customer Support

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer