Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Can't get into my PSI :(

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
DoeZ Can't get into my PSI :(
Member 5th Oct, 2013 01:40
Ranking: 2
User Since: 14th Sep, 2013
System Score: 88%
I'm not sure if this is where I need to be posting this but I didn't see any other boards honestly. I haven't been able to get into my PSI for close to 2 weeks now. And my Avast is also in a critical state. It all started with this stupid IE stuff. I unistalled IE10 which took me back to IE9 but I wanted to go back to IE8 to get all those updates again so I would get the IE9 with all the files....cuz the IE9 I had was corrupted and every time I ran my PSI when I looked at the part where it told me what was corrupted it was the IE and when I tried to look up the info it gave it said something about the vendor had closed it or the vendor was done with it. There wasn't a fix for it so it was unsafe to use. So that's the reason I was uninstalling the IE9 figuring it would go to the IE8 automatically like it had done prior this. But instead it completely uninstalled my IE altogether and now I can't get into my PSI or my AV and I'm waiting for help from them as well and just trying to figure out how to fix all of this mess. Does anyone know how I can get back into my PSI without IE? I really would appreciate any help at this point.

Thanks
DoeZ

--
“The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. stone crumbles. wood rots. people, well, they die. but things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.”

mogs RE: Can't get into my PSI :(
Expert Contributor 5th Oct, 2013 08:02
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@DoeZ

Hello again !

PSI is dependant upon a correctly configured Internet Explorer, to work.
IE is an integral component of Windows.
Whilst you can choose another browser to run as your default browser, psi is reliant on that initial set-up with IE.
What browser are you using to reach the forum ?

mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DoeZ RE: Can't get into my PSI :(
Member 5th Oct, 2013 15:20
Score: 2
User Since: 14th Sep 2013
Hi mogs...

So glad to see you again. I would guess Google seeings how that's the only one I'm using at the moment.

--
“The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. stone crumbles. wood rots. people, well, they die. but things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.”
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Oct, 2013 22:43
@DoeZ

What makes you think that IE has been completely uninstalled ?
I can't find any sign of my IE9 in Programs and Features nor Revo either.. Is there no sign of it in your Start menu ?
At the moment you are showing 100% as your System Score on the forum....are you "saying" that's an historical figure ?

Are you able to check thro' the Settings in the FAQ ?.....
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?

By the sounds of it.....a setting could easily have gotten altered.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Oct, 2013 22:49
Well I was able to get help for my Avast and I uninstalled it in safemode and installed a completely new Avast so I'm protected in that sense again. I've taken a pix of the pop-up I get when I click my tray and I'm gonna try to just paste it here as I don't see a attachment file or anything...but maybe that'll help explain things a bit.

Well I've tried several different ways to copy this pix and it just won't let me. So here's what it says...

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

That's all it says and the tray bars are "RED". Hope this helps.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Oct, 2013 23:13
@mogs...

Before all of this if you can remember back I was having some problems with my IE and it was Maurice Joyce that had some suggestions about something...and excuse but I can't remember all of that. But I was in the Microsoft Windows site and reading thru some of things and it turned out that a lot of my problems were due to the fact that I actually had installed IE10 and I never knew I had it. Apparently the settings were on "Automatic Updates" which again I wasn't aware of. Remember my PC was upstairs and it was set differently than this laptop that I had bought for my hubby...and I only took it over when I became totally disabled and couldn't sit at my PC anymore. So I had to turn that setting off right away.

So while I was in Microsoft Windows I was being helped by a MCC: Content Creator and also a Microsoft Support Engineer. So I followed the directions and uninstalled IE10 which automatically took me back to IE9 but I had remembered that I had some issues with IE9 and thought if I uninstalled IE9 and it took me back to IE8 then I could reinstall IE9 with all the new updates I would be good to go...But when I uninstalled IE9 it completely uninstalled my IE from my PC. It's nowhere to be found. And both of the helpers have been trying to figure all of this with me but I'm also just trying to get back into some of my protection programs.

Hope that makes for you ;)

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Oct, 2013 23:27
@DoeZ

I'm not familiar with the reaction you're getting when clicking on the taskbar icon......being as you've made changes with regard to your AV.....Repeat.....Are you able to check your Settings are in accordance with those in the FAQ ?....Particularly noting :-

Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Oct, 2013 23:43
I'm reading thru it and I can't find my Internet Options where they it should be...and it's really starting to bother me that I can't see your post when I'm replying to you so I can refer back to it ugh >_<

I have no idea what your talking about with Kaspersky...I'm not using it at all..My AV is Avast and they already helped me fix that.

My problem with my secunia is that I have no IE at all on my PC anywhere and I mean anywhere trust me we've looked everywhere and it's nowhere to be found. So if I could find where this Internet Options is maybe I could get further in those directions.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Oct, 2013 23:51
@DoeZ

So you're saying you can't follow the following instructions at all ?

The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?

To function correctly the Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers. If you experience any issues where the Secunia PSI cannot complete scanning or where the interface will not load and show you the detected programs, then please do the following.

Open the control panel.
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Click OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
Click Close then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Oct, 2013 01:13
@DoeZ

When you uninstalled IE9...did you use the following method ?

To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
4. Click one of the following:
Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).
Note
After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

At the moment, I've got both IE9 and IE8 ( lower down ) showing under Uninstall an update.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Oct, 2013 02:04
@mogs...

I can't do the one because I do not have that "[b]INTERNET OPTIONS[b] and again I looked everywhere and typed it in and got nowhere with it. I know all this sounds crazy but it's all true. I have no IE anywhere that I can find anywhere.

And for your IE instructions for uninstalling...this was the exact post I followed the instructions from. I didn't mess a thing up.

How to uninstall IE10 :
Start button > in the search box, type programs and features > Enter > left side, click View Installed Updates > scroll down to Microsoft Windows heading to find Windows Internet Explorer 10 > right click > click Uninstall.
Restart computer.
You should be back with your previous IE version which, in this case, is IE9.
You don't have to reinstall IE9.

Some unfinished business after uninstalling IE10....................
Set Windows Update to Manual :
IE10 will come up in Windows Update again, and it will be installed if Windows Update is set at Automatic.
To set Windows Update at Manual will give you option to install or not to install.
Start > in the search box, type windows update > press Enter > left side, click Change Settings > under Important Updates, click the pointer and change it to " Download updates but let me choose whether to install Them " > click OK when done.

So if there isn't anything that can be fixed because secunia solely runs on IE alone them I'm screwed. But it's late and I'm tired and I'm sure it's late there too. So rest easy and hopefully we can chat tomorrow.

DoeZ

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Oct, 2013 08:05
@DoeZ

But you found IE9 after you'd uninstalled IE10 ?

Have you tried running MS Fixit from here ?................
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Have you run Manual W/Update since you set it last ?

I was tired earlier than you , last night....and I'm not feeling brilliant this morning !! Ha!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Oct, 2013 15:05
Morning mogs...

No I did not use that. But I was in that forum with those experts helping me. And reading I did run it and it wouldn't pull anything up for me because I don't have IE. And I also couldn't send my report over to them because I don't have IE. So with all this help from the Microsoft people etc. my daughter had just wiped her laptop clean which was a Windows Vista...she wiped it out clean and restored it to manufactory settings with Windows7 that she had downloaded herself. It did take over night for it to load but it did work for her and her laptop is now a Windows7 instead of a Windows Vista. So she's coming over today and I have the directions to back-up my computer and she's going to have to do the same thing to mine. I just don't want to lose my files-my personal files-my photos-my music-and I have photos that I used infraview to download them and I just can't figure out how to get them to show as a pix instead of the logo for infraview so I can put them in folders really quick. I just think I don't have any other choice at this point as long as I don't lose any of my files etc.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+