Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Latest version of PSI and (possibly) 64-bit Windows 7

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
GerryGLR Latest version of PSI and (possibly) 64-bit Windows 7
Member 19th Oct, 2013 11:22
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Oct, 2013
System Score: N/A
Wednesday I installed VLC Media Player 1.10. When I scanned my programs on Friday PSI reported that I had VLC Media Player 1.08 and should upgrade. I uninstalled and reinstalled v 1.10. After two other updates, one of which was flagged as spyware by Kaspersky and when I ran a scan with SuperAntiSpyware free it also flagged it as spyware, which led me to uninstall and put in the safer previous version, I reran the scan. It was now happy with VLC Media Player but objected to the spyware-free older version. That was not unexpected and I really can't expect PSI to search for spyware - it's slow enough already. I'll accept that the software burped. However it would be nice if your next upgrade was more interested in speed rather than more things like trying to update out-of-date programs. Just let me know about them - I prefer to download from my site of choice and can accomplish finding the site, downloading the installation program, and installing it far faster than your program can. I have about as fast a desktop as you can get without resorting to liquid cooling for the CPU, 16 GB of Corsair 1600 DDR3 RAM, but not an SSD. My feeling is that if my system needs that long to run it's time to speed it up. Whether you remove software or polish it is obviously up to you.

E.Jeppesen RE: Latest version of PSI and (possibly) 64-bit Windows 7
Secunia Official 21st Oct, 2013 11:14
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 21st Oct, 2013 11:14
Thank you for your feedback.

If you do not need the ability of the PSI to auto-update your programs then I recommend you simply turn auto-updates off. You may also prefer the slightly more advanced PSI 2 over PSI 3. PSI 2 is still supported and available for download at this page:
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

I can of course assure you that there are no sorts of spyware or any other kinds of malware in the PSI or in our SPS packages. For any false positives created by your antivirus please refer to this thread:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/137...

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+