xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Build number identification?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
a.kovacs.x Build number identification?
Member 21st Oct, 2013 09:14
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Oct, 2013
System Score: N/A
Hi,

Sorry for the crazy question but can anyone tell me how to identify the actual build number of PSI on my PC?

I have Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), running on Intel i7-3770k + 16 GB RAM + 240 GB SSD. The Download page of the PSI website indicates only the version number (3.0). The downloaded PSISetup.exe does not show even the version number. When I open PSI, only the version number is indicated and I cannot see something like an "About PSI" to check the build number. Only here, on this forum I can see threads mentioning version numbers.

I have set PSI to "Install updates automatically" but I cannot see any sign of updating (which is certainly performed without notifying me). My update checker application shows two lines for PSI: Secunia PSI and Secunia PSI Tray. For both the current version/build number is 3.0.0.2004 and the available version/build is 3.0.0.8013. On this forums there are threads about the latter.

How can I check my real version/build number?

Thanks for you assistance in advance.

Maurice Joyce RE: Build number identification?
Handling Contributor 21st Oct, 2013 10:41
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
To find the version you are running you can:

1. Right click on the Task Tray icon> About

2. For more detail you need to look in Windows Explorer & navigate to C:\Program Files (x86) - it will look like this:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pjJKbmr8XsS...

This webpage gives all the variants of PSI that are supported. Sadly they do not publish all the download links to these versions. Currently only these are available - 3.0.0.8013/2.0.0.4003 & 1.5.0.2.

https://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

PSI is a vulnerability checker & not a general updater. PSI has never been vulnerable hence it has not updated itself. This ruling applies to all programmes asset tracked by Secunia.

It looks like you have noted that there are issues with version 3.0.0.8013 which Secunia have not commented on to date.

If you want to upgrade to the latest "stable" version a link is here:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14...

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
a.kovacs.x RE: Build number identification?
Member 21st Oct, 2013 13:18
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Oct 2013
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your fast and very useful response. Now I understand how to check the build number.

I am aware that PSI is not a general purpose update checker. In addition to PSI I use Filehippo Update Checker and Software Informer. For a while I had used some paid applications but they turned out to be not better then the above mentioned free apps. It would be really great to have a single application that is capable of indicating available updates of the most widely used programmes. One cannot expect updates for all software of the world, but in many cases current updaters give false indications.

As far as PSI concerned some time ago it was really fast to call the attention of vulnerabilities. Nowadays in many cases it seems lagging behind the general purpose updaters. Nevertheless, I keep it to be on the somewhat safer side.

There are three things I still do not understand:

- Is the 'normal' Download page of PSI kept updated with the latest stabile build?
- Most software developers publish their Beta versions, which 'experimenting' customers can install at their own risk. (I rarely seize such opportunities.) In addition, the list of former versions/builds are associated with their respective download links.
- Why the built-in auto-update feature of PSI does not install the latest stabile version? It is quite strange that I have to hunt for 'hidden' updates. (I might have misunderstood something but you wrote that "PSI has never been vulnerable hence it has not updated itself." Under the "Settings" I checked the box of "Update (recommended)". My understanding was that this meant PSI's self-update.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Build number identification?
Handling Contributor 21st Oct, 2013 17:37
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
The webpage.

The page I gave you registers incremental updates to PSI versions supported but .....

1. It is not totally accurate - for example V2.0.0.3003 is not listed.

2. The change log against most updates is vague - example "numerous minor bug fixes". Such a statement is useless in deciding whether to update. Users want to know details of what bug(s) were fixed.

3. On at least two occasions Secunia have released updates where the version number does not match the change log or the unmarked download link is not released in tandem with the change log.

Updating.

Secunia do occasionally push out BETA versions - Small Business (SMB) is in BETA now which I am testing.

Secunia do not maintain an archive download list of supported PSI versions. It is a case of "What You See Is What You Get". Unless individuals keep a copy for themselves to fall back on when things go pear shaped you are up the creek. This has been highlighted here:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14...

They do not have any mechanism to update a users current PSI installation for cosmetic or bug fix reasons. This has been requested for over a year but the developers have not produced this basic option.

Vulnerabilities.

Secunia could be seen to be slower at publishing vulnerabilities. They are reliant on disclosure from whatever source. To the best of my knowledge there is no legal obligation for a vendor or private vulnerability finder to report their findings to Secunia (or any other Company that earns money via vulnerability reporting). For example,many Microsoft vulnerabilities are not published by Secunia until after Patch Tuesday.

It will always lag behind general updater's because they include the latest cosmetic & bug fix updates including some that are in ALPHA or BETA which PSI ignores.

General Programme Updating.

Personally I do not use any third party updater programmes because they all have limitations. I either sign up to a vendor RSS feed or receive an email indicating a vendor has updated their download page.

The FAQ link is here if you want to try the email notification option:

http://www.changedetection.com/faq.html

Does that help?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
a.kovacs.x RE: Build number identification?
Member 21st Oct, 2013 18:13
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Oct 2013
Hi Maurice,

Thanks a lot for your advice and in-depth explanations. It is clear that since PSI is free, there is no reason for complaining. As you wrote: "What I see is what I get".
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+