xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Continues loading message but never getting past it.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
herbc Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Member 26th Oct, 2013 10:36
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Oct, 2013
System Score: N/A
Hi folks, i have been using PSI for years and have recommended it to countless people but after downloading it this time after a reinstall i can't get past the loading message .

I removed it and reinstalled again but same thing is happening , any ideas

Thank you very much

Maurice Joyce RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Handling Contributor 26th Oct, 2013 10:40
Score: 11723
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Which version of PSI have you got installed?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
herbc RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Member 26th Oct, 2013 19:22
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Oct 2013
It's the 3.0, used to work on my Win 7 64 bit system.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Oct, 2013 21:07
There are many variants of 3. One that is giving some problems is 3.0.0.8013. To check your exact version right click on the Task tray icon>about

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Oct, 2013 18:52
That is the one that i have , can you provide a link to a different one?

Thank you
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Oct, 2013 20:49
Yes - see my thread here for a link back to version 3.0.0.7011.

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Oct, 2013 23:47
Thank you very much.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Oct, 2013 00:56
Oh well, it looks like the other version isn't working either, same issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Oct, 2013 01:22
If you have version 3.0.0.7011 it works well.

Unsure which OS you are using but worth checking all your settings are correct as per the FAQ here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jbacinti RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Member 29th Oct, 2013 19:01
User Since: 12th Jun 2009
I have 7011 loaded and my settings are correct. Until Secunia responds or fixes 8013, has anyone saved something earlier than 7011 that I could download or you could send me?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mikecorbeil RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Member 1st Nov, 2013 12:22
Score: 4
User Since: 22nd Jul 2010
Last edited on 1st Nov, 2013 12:30
BEGIN BLOCK-QUOTE:
on 29th Oct, 2013 01:22, Maurice Joyce wrote:
If you have version 3.0.0.7011 it works well.

Unsure which OS you are using but worth checking all your settings are correct as per the FAQ here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

END OF BLOCK QUOTE ========================

Comment posting bug: Block quote isn't working correctly. This whole reply is treated as if it's all part of a block-quote and only the part above the above line is block-quoted; with the beginning and ending block-quote tags. There are no other formatting tags in this reply.

The first FAQ item is for, "Running and scanning with the Secunia PSI", "The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?".

The instructions worked for me. Until making those changes, PSI 3.0.0.8013, like with 3.0.0.7011, would repeatedly pop up a small message box saying that a script wasn't completing, or something like that, and that this could impact the performance of my OS, which is XP SP3. I clicked the button to allow the script to continue, trusting PSI and figuring it'd eventually complete the scan, but the same pop-up message kept appearing. So I did some searching of Secunia.com and came across a link to the FAQ. Once the instructions were implemented, I no longer got a pop-up message and PSI completed its scan.

So, PSI 3.0.0.8013 is now working correctly for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Nov, 2013 13:55
I've checked my settings as described in the link by mikecorbell and mine are correct but 8013 nor 7011 run on my XP SP3 32 bit machine. Still looking for a somewhat earlier version of 3.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Nov, 2013 14:46
Last edited on 1st Nov, 2013 14:47
jbacinti,

My OS is XP SP3 32-bit and the instructions in the FAQ page work for me. The scan is fully silent, not triggering any pop-up messages at all, and it turns out to not be all that long to run.

But, what's the exact message you're getting when trying to run PSI? Maybe you're getting a PSI scan or loading message that's different from the one I got. Given the topic of this thread I'd expect that you're getting the same message, but maybe it's different.

Are you certain that you followed the FAQ #1 instructions accurately?

Could the problem you're having be due to some other program that's running and possibly causing PSI some performance impairment? I don't know if people use any programs that could cause such a problem for PSI, but perhaps there're some.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Nov, 2013 14:57
Mike,

I checked and double-checked the settings and they are correct. When PSI runs there are no other odd programs running or any new ones.

The error message window opens and is headlined Windows Internet Explorer. IE is not running and does not run as I use Firefox. The message reads, "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive." And the below the message are are Yes and a No box to click.

Regardless of which one I click, PSI continues to say "loading" and nothing else happens.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TonyB. RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Member 1st Nov, 2013 15:05
Score: -34
User Since: 1st Nov 2013
Last edited on 1st Nov, 2013 15:06
I can't get any version but secunia 2.0 to load on windows 8.1 when is this going to be fixed?
I been using Secunia PSI since it came out and just never registered here as i never had a issue, but now i had to go back to PSI 2.0 to make it work.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TonyB. RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Member 4th Nov, 2013 19:03
Score: -34
User Since: 1st Nov 2013
any update on this issue at all ???
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Nov, 2013 19:30
I have 3.0.0.6005 running on another PC here at home and it works fine. Does anyone have a downloadable copy of it to post here?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
brioni3 RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Member 4th Nov, 2013 21:44
User Since: 4th Nov 2013
I have this problem on my Win7 Home Premium 64-bit machine. Recently PSI 2.0 would not load, it just sits on "loading", so I tried replacing this with PSI 3.0, but have the same result with both 8013 and 7011. As others have done I've checked my settings as described in the link by mikecorbell and they are OK. Also on this machine I cannot establish a connection with the Belarc Advisor server (error 12029).

However, my Win7 Home Starter 32-bit netbook has PSI 2.0 installed and has no such problems, it loads and runs promptly, as does Belarc Advisor on that machine. (I have not tried changing to PSI 3.0 there).

This makes me wonder if a recent Windows 64-bit update is causing the problem? Unfortunately I do not have the technical skills needed to investigate this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Nov, 2013 21:25
jbacinti,

You get the exact same message that I got and clicking on Yes and No during restarts of the PSI scan also made or certainly seemed to make no difference, the same message popping up repeatedly. So, in everything you described, you're evidently having the same problem I had, except for the fact that the FAQ instructions worked for me.

Also like you, i use Firefox, so I didn't care if MS IE performance could degrade. That browser wasn't opened or running and it's only PSI that's evidently making use of some part(s) of IE.

I clicked on No, or whatever the button is to let the PSI script continue while disregarding any possible impact on IE. The same message was repeatedly being popped up after every click of No. So, I eventually decided to click on the other button for what I thought was to be stopping of the script, but the same message continued to be triggered. Huh. As far as a user can tell, there apparently is no difference between clicking Yes and No. One of the two buttons seems to be for stopping or killing the script, but it has to continue since the same message reappears. Or, maybe the script is stopped/killed and then it's restarted, all of this transparently. If the latter is what happens, then this would cause an appearance like there being no stoppage and restart at all when there is stoppage and restart.

If the latter is what happens, then it'd be welcome to be informed of this by the main part of the scan/load process. It'd be a message saying that the script will be stopped to be restarted. This could help some users to be a little less perplexed.

Or maybe both buttons are associated with the same callback function. Ha. Ooops.

It's closed software, so the Secunia developers need to use their tools to diagnose and repair these problems. Of course, PSI is free for personal use, so I'm in no position to be able to give orders to anyone at Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Nov, 2013 21:53
Last edited on 5th Nov, 2013 23:50
Quote:
RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.

jbacinti
I have 3.0.0.6005 running on another PC here at home and it works fine. Does anyone have a downloadable copy of it to post here?

End quote

I did some Web searching to try to find a downloadable file for PSI 3.0.0.6005 and found none, but you and some others speak of having tried and failed with 3.0.0.8013 and 3.0.0.7011. At MajorGeeks.com (a safe website for downloads) there's .8013, but there's also another page for 3.0.0.7009.

http://www2.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=6030

Warning :

*) Don't bother with the author website download link, for it would surely download the most recent version of PSI, if the link was valid, which it isn't. The link takes the user to an MG page listing many software apps available for download.

*) Also don't bother with the first MG download link for downloading from an MG server. The link produces a 404 error.

*) The second MG server download link works. This is the third of these download links.

I downloaded the file, .exe, to check if it's truly for version 3.0.0.7009 and it apparently is. Checking the Version tab of the Properties for the .exe shows 3.0.0.7009.

Warning 2:

*) The installer or set-up program for .7009 said that an older version of PSI was already installed and needed to be uninstalled, but it wasn't an older version. It's 3.0.0.8013, the most recent version.

Due to that flaw in the downloaded set-up program for .7009, perhaps it'd be better to uninstall PSI, when already installed, by using a different method. Given that .7009 is older, maybe its process for un-installing another version might miss some files of .8013 or .7011.

I didn't go through the whole installation of .7009, having stopped the process when it said that an older PSI version was installed and needed to be uninstalled, before installation of .7009 could proceed. That was wrong, so I quit the installation process; but, this damaged the installation of .8013, which had to be re-installed. That's no problem though, for it's very quick to do.

Maybe .7009 will work for people unable to get PSI 3.0.0.8013 and 3.0.0.7011 to scan/load and haven't yet tried with 3.0.0.7009. I don't have a clue why it'd work differently for scan/load, but funny things happen in computer programming.

The following page's Changelog section says what was done to create 3.0.0.7009.

https://secunia.com/products/consumer/psi/sys_req

People can get PSI 2 and 1 from Secunia.com, but I couldn't find a download at any website, including Secunia's, for 3.0.0.6005.

CNET seems to possibly have a download for that version, but I was trying to stay away from cnet because it's been including a cnet installation wrapper for software downloaded and installed using cnet and this wrapper is bothering many people who once trusted the website for doing downloads. The wrapper shouldn't be included, but cnet began doing this maybe 2 years ago.

http://download.cnet.com/Secunia-Personal-Software...

I just did the download and that's what you get, the cnet installation wrapper or launcher .exe. It's under 1 MB and I'm not going to try to run the thing.

Actually, I went back back to the cnet download page and, besides the download button, there's also a "Direct Download Link", so I tried this as well. The file for the wrapper is named, cbsidlm-cbsi134-Secunia_Personal_Software_Inspecto r-ORG-10717855.exe, while the direct download link file is named, PSISetup.exe. But, checking the Version tab of the latter download shows that while the cnet page says that this is for PSI 3.0.0.6005, it's actually 3.0.0.7011.

So, cnet is also no good for PSI 3.0.0.6005.

A Web search for "Secunia Personal Software Inspector 3.0.0.6005" turns up many links for pages at very many websites and I know none of them, so there's no way that I'd recommend using any of them.

What other option is there?

Secunia support, perhaps. Maybe they can arrange to make version 3.0.0.6005 available for alternative download at the website or can send it to people using e-mail.

It was for a wholly different reason, but based on recent experience contacting Secunia support directly, my guess is that you'll find response time to be short or quick.

I recommend trying version 3.0.0.7009 and if it also doesn't work, then Secunia support would be contacted to ask them to provide a link for getting v3.0.0.6005, which you say worked for you. It should be very easy to quickly add that download link to the website.

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Nov, 2013 23:51
mikecorbell

Following your suggestion, I downloaded and installled the MajorGeeks file for PSI 3.0.0.7009, after first uninstalling 3.0.0.7011. No change, I'm afraid, it still just stays on "loading". (BTW after this I also updated Belarc Advisor to the latest version and there was no improvement there either). I still suspect a Windows update to be the culprit; maybe I'll try some roll-backs.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Nov, 2013 09:05
Last edited on 6th Nov, 2013 09:13
brioni3,

This post could be better written, but I'll leave it as is.

You previously wrote the following.

Quote:
I have this problem on my Win7 Home Premium 64-bit machine. Recently PSI 2.0 would not load, it just sits on "loading", so I tried replacing this with PSI 3.0, but have the same result with both 8013 and 7011. As others have done I've checked my settings as described in the link by mikecorbell and they are OK. Also on this machine I cannot establish a connection with the Belarc Advisor server (error 12029).

However, my Win7 Home Starter 32-bit netbook has PSI 2.0 installed and has no such problems, it loads and runs promptly, as does Belarc Advisor on that machine. (I have not tried changing to PSI 3.0 there).

This makes me wonder if a recent Windows 64-bit update is causing the problem? Unfortunately I do not have the technical skills needed to investigate this.

End quote

Now, you add the following.

Quote:
mikecorbell

Following your suggestion, I downloaded and installled the MajorGeeks file for PSI 3.0.0.7009, after first uninstalling 3.0.0.7011. No change, I'm afraid, it still just stays on "loading". (BTW after this I also updated Belarc Advisor to the latest version and there was no improvement there either). I still suspect a Windows update to be the culprit; maybe I'll try some roll-backs.

End quote

It might possibly be beneficial for the main information in this discussion thread to be provided to both Secunia and Microsoft support people, directly. What you're describing tells me that Windows 7 users with updates installed are having a problem that both of these software vendors should be able to work on diagnosing and correcting. If they can't do it, then it's closed source and only available to them, so users are out of luck.

The problem for you with Windows 7 evidently is a Microsoft issue, but maybe there's something that Secunia can do about the problem 32-bit Windows users are having. Perhaps there'd be no code changes for Secunia to make, but the team might be able to know or determine why PSI 3.0.0.8013 now works with my 32-bit XP SP3 system while not for other users of 32-bit XP SP3, f.e.

You definitely seem to be right about some Win 7 update(s) being a problem for you and if it is, then I also wonder about Vista and Windows 8. Your Win 7 is 64-bit, but the same problem might occur with 32-bit. For XP, I don't know. My 32-bit XP SP3 is fully up to date and if this is also the case for jbacinti, then I wonder what could possibly be preventing his installation of PSI 3.0.0.8013 from working for him/her when the FAQ instructions worked for me. That problem leaves me perplexed. Could it be that I have 32-bit XP SP3 running when fully installed and run from the hard disk drive of a mini-tower PC, while other people also using this version of XP and not getting PSI 3.0.0.8013 to work might be using the same OS on a laptop, f.e.? I don't know why laptop would be different in this way.

Belarc Advisor:

I haven't run BA for a long time, so just tried it since you say that your Windows 7 updates appear to be also affecting this program. BA began by updating itself and then flawlessly ran. Everything looks good with this app. for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Nov, 2013 15:17
Well, this is interesting. I've not been unable to get past the error message for quite some time now. I'm on 7011. This morning I saw a PSI message that I had a program requiring a manual update which I thought funny since I didn't think PSI was even running correctly. Well, I clicked on Open, got the message, told it No and 7011 opened right up. I'm 32 bit XP SP3. Should I try to go to 8013 or leave well enough alone?

I have a new laptop with W7 Home Premium and I'm going to try 8013 on it later on. Stay tuned.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Nov, 2013 16:07
8013 is working fine on my laptop with W7 Home Premium; no issues so far.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Nov, 2013 19:55
jbacinti,

Now that PSI 3.0.0.7011 is working for you with 32-bit XP SP3, I'd go ahead and try 3.0.0.8013 since you had said to be having the very same problem with both versions. If the problem is no longer occuring with .7011, then it definitely shouldn't happen with .8013.

If you install .8013 and it fails to work, then try a reboot of XP, and if this doesn't help, then you can revert back to .7011.

This normally would be the process to follow.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Nov, 2013 19:59
Good idea Mike. I'll try that. Is there still a link available for 7011 in case I need it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 08:29
Last edited on 7th Nov, 2013 08:41
jbacinti,

I checked at MajorGeeks.com, Softpedia.com and Snapfiles.com, all safe websites for downloading software applications and none have PSI 3.0.0.7011 any longer.

Note: I say that those are all safe for downloading and this has always been true for me with MG and Snapfiles, and it's been normally true with Softpedia. I got a couple of incorrect downloads from Softpedia several years ago, but it's a download website used by many people and it's generally recommended at good tech. websites as well. One of the incorrect/invalid downloads I got was for KMPlayer. The download was considerably larger than the one obtained from the KMPlayer forums website that's in English and that download was the same as obtained from MajorGeeks. Someone very unusually posted a KMPlayer download packaged with adware at Softpedia. But, that website is generally safe to download from and I'd just make sure to do the download also from MajorGeeks and/or the author's website in order to compare the file sizes. That verification normally proved that downloads from Softpedia were correct.

CNET has the following page and it's supposed to be for PSI 3.0.0.7011, but I recommend against trying this download. The reason will be explained following the link.

http://download.cnet.com/Secunia-Personal-Software...

I recommend against using that download. Regardless of whether it's downloaded using the large Download button or the "Direct Download Link", you'll get the same download and it's the CNET wrapper or installer program for launching the software installation, only :

1) The CNET installer or installation launcher will likely download from Secunia.com and this will most very likely be for 3.0.0.8013; plus,

2) That installer or installation launcher is adware and installs or tries/offers to install adware that has absolutely nothing to do with PSI or Secunia.

The CNET "Direct Download Link" sometimes works for a truly direct download that provides the actual software you'd be wanting to get, but the link doesn't work that way in this case.

This CNET information is to provide a "heads-up" or FYI just in case you or anyone else reading this reply might think of trying the download via CNET. CNET used to be excellent for downloading freeware, but it's very detested ever since the garbage cnet installer has been added. I think that that began maybe 2 years ago, or nearly.

See the following two articles, f.e.

"The CNET Download.com Installer", by Martin Brinkmann on August 17, 2011
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/08/17/the-cnet-download...

"Download full programs from Softonic, Cnet and other software repositories", by Martin Brinkmann on November 22, 2012
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/22/download-full-pro...

People can post comments for articles at GHacks and you'll see that many are very angry about this bad change at CNET. But just the two articles, above, tell a reader enough to alert the person not to use cnet for downloads, except when it provides a valid "Direct Download Link". It did for one test download I performed yesterday, maybe for PSI 3.0.0.6005, the direct download filename being PSISetup.exe; BUT, it turns out to be for PSI 3.0.0.7009 I believe (already mentioned in one of my prior posts in this PSI forum thread anyway), and the page for PSI 3.0.0.7011 doesn't provide a real direct download, as already stated further above in this reply.

Conclusion of reply:

The best option for you to be able to get PSI 3.0.0.7011 would be to contact Secunia support people to ask them to e-mail you a copy, or for them to provide a link for this version as an alternative download from or in their PSI download page.

If they wouldn't accept to do either of those things, then I could send you a copy of .7011 using e-mail, but I'm not sure how you could PM me, here. You could, however, post your email address in a reply, here, while replacing the @ with " at ", f.e. (Create and use a temporary account, if you don't want to post your e-mail address.) But, Secunia people would surely provide you with a copy of the 3.0.0.7011 download using one of the two ways mentioned just above, i believe.

Always remember to retain copies of installation files for 1 or 2 recent versions of software that you've installed, used and found to work. When updating to newer versions, then it doesn't hurt to keep copies of the installers for 2 of the latest versions you had been previously using, though 1, the very latest one prior to the update, should also suffice.

Also, for PSI and possibly other system software, like SIW, WinPatrol, Belarc Advisor and System Explorer, f.e., I'd recommend always downloading the installers for versions of these applications you want to install. That's instead of or in addition to letting these apps do the updates themselves, when they have this feature. I don't know that PSI has that feature, but there definitely isn't a "Check for PSI update" option in the menu of the system tray icon for PSI 3.0.0.8013 and the option also isn't provided in the pop-up for the "About Secunia PSI" option.

This sort of backup habit can turn out to be convenient at different times; f.e., if you lose Internet connection, or wish to revert to a prior version of a software more quickly than needing to open a Web browser, etc, to do the download all over again, or for easily sharing the software when you can freely do this, legally.

PSI 3.0.0.8031 will surely work for you now that 3.0.0.7011 is working. Check the Changelog for PSI and you'll see that extremely little was done to go from .7011 to .8013.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Nov, 2013 10:17
Secunia have already published a safe link to version 3.0.0.7011

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 12:15
Last edited on 7th Nov, 2013 12:17
Maurice,

The link you provided is for downloading the "Windows 8.1 compatible PSI 3" executable; really 3.0.0.7011, for a little extra precision.

Will that also work on 32-bit Windows XP SP3?

If the answer is no, then jbacinti stated in his/her first post of November 1st that he/she's using 32-bit XP SP3. But, I suppose that the answer is yes, given that the System Requirements page for PSI doesn't say otherwise. Instead, it says "Supported Operating Systems (32 & 64 bit): ...", from Win 8 to XP SP3. Also, the filename for the download is simply PSISetup.exe, saying nothing about architecture.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Nov, 2013 13:09

Secunia have given a link to the "bog standard" version 3.0.0.7011 which has the following File Hashes:

CRC32: 9F8FD398
MD5: 8031D5AE7FAA7AAF22873E4044ECA77F
SHA-1: 2E17DEBA72FD5B48311524EB925646BEC83B56C6

I have also published another link on the Forum https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14... as a temporary "Fix It" until Secunia produced a link for users.

The download link is here but I advise users to use the new link issued by Secunia & forget any third party sites.

http://www.download3k.com/Install-Secunia-Personal...

The download file details match Secunia as follows:

CRC32: 9F8FD398
MD5: 8031D5AE7FAA7AAF22873E4044ECA77F
SHA-1: 2E17DEBA72FD5B48311524EB925646BEC83B56C6

Does it work with Windows SP3? Yes but there is a history on this Forum of odd users having issues. As you correctly point out it can, in the main, be sorted out by checking against the FAQ.

My SMB Endpoints must use 3.0.0.7011 (version 3.0.0.8013 is not available to them) by default. All are working normally which includes the following OS's:

Windows 8 64 Bit IE10
Windows 7 64 Bit IE 10 for SP1
Windows 7 32 Bit IE 11 Preview
Windows XP SP3 32 Bit IE8

PSI version 3.0.0.8013 is a different ball game. In the main it works but on my tests there are issues with my Windows 7 32 Bit PC with IE 11 Preview. That is not surprising. Secunia are not officially supporting Windows 8.1 IE11 or IE11 Preview therefore mixed results should be expected.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 15:52
I upgraded to 8013. It gave me the error message and I clicked No twice, nothing happened then the third time I clicked Yes and it appeared to be doing something. The program psia.exe was running and there was a lot of hard disk activity like it might have been scanning. It finally stopped with no display in the PSI window. I'd say that 8013 still does not work on my XP SP3 32 bit system. I'll have to go back to 7011 for the time being.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 16:35
jbacinti,

That's unfortunate, for 3.0.0.8013 works just fine with my 32-bit XP SP3 and you say that it's the OS you're using, or said it in your first post on November 1st anyway.

When you say that PSI displayed nothing, do you mean that the PSI window was totally blank, or were there some links at the bottom for menus as well as a button or link in the middle of the Window? The latter link is for displaying the list of software that PSI has registered from the scan of the system. By default, PSI is not displaying that list for me, but there's a button or link in the middle for permitting the user to display the full list.

Also, is it the result you're getting on a laptop or regular PC? I use a Dell Optiplex 755 mini tower.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 16:45
Well, the PSI dialog box is open with the red logo in the middle and nothing else. With 7011, when I "open" PSI it shows me all my programs and the fact that they are up to date. 8013 did not show that. On my previous post when I mentioned the disk activity, it went on for 3 or 4 minutes and I don't believe that's long enough for PSI to check all my software so I don't know what the disk activity was all about.

I'm using a tower PC from a regional dealer, MicroCenter. XP SP3 is totally up to date with all security and other fixes from Microsoft. I've made no other changes to the system, added any new software or done anything but update programs as the manufacturer notifies me or PSI does it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 18:36
jbacinti,

The problem you're having sure has me stumped, but have you installed .7011 on this machine and if you have, then is PSI .7011 working? You said it was working with your other computer but didn't have a copy of the installer for this 32-bit XP SP3 machine.

If you're still looking for a way to download the installer, then Maurice posted a link today further above.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 18:41
I did find 7011 and am about to reinstall it now. 8013 did work on my W7, 32 bit laptop; no problem. I'll post later on what 7011 does once I reinstall it on my tower.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Nov, 2013 19:04
If you want to trouble shoot I would create a log file & see if that produces any messages that may pinpoint your issue. If you want to try I would do this:

1. Right click on the PSI tray icon & select Close Tray Icon.

2. Open Windows Explorer & navigate to Program Files>Secunia>PSI - click on PSI & in the right column you will see PSI LOG & maybe PSI LOG.TXT2

3. Right click & delete those files.

4. Manually restart PSI which will produces a new log file.

5 Forward that file to Secunia at support@secunia.com who my be willing to help or publish it to the Forum by copying the log data from Notepad (CTRL+C) & publishing (CTRL+V).

The newly created log should look something like this:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2piWkGRrgwxi...

You will note the whole procedure including an audit (scan) took 35 seconds not minutes as you appear to indicate.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 19:31
Maurice,

Interesting observation. I followed your instructions and deleted the log files, started PSI and it ran fine with no error message.

Follows is the new log file created:

[11/07 13:27:17.455] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/07 13:27:17.455] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/07 13:27:17.502] WriteFile failed 0x000000e8
[11/07 13:27:24.220] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/07 13:27:24.220] Waiting for pipe to be done
[11/07 13:27:24.220] Closing pipe
[11/07 13:27:24.220] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/07 13:27:24.252] notifyNewTray: server.setIcon('green')
[11/07 13:27:24.252] notifyNewTray: server.updateTooltip('All programs are up to date')
[11/07 13:27:34.064] Initializing Filesystem Inspector
[11/07 13:27:34.064] File Inspector initialized
[11/07 13:27:34.064] Scanning files
[11/07 13:27:34.064] No results to submit
[11/07 13:27:34.689]
#4000(N)()
#4001(S)(5)
#5007(S)()
#4002(S)()
#5101(S)(138)
#10000(S)()
#4003(S)()
#5017(S)()
[11/07 13:28:35.361] Initializing Filesystem Inspector
[11/07 13:28:35.361] File Inspector initialized
[11/07 13:28:35.361] Scanning files
[11/07 13:28:35.361] No results to submit
[11/07 13:28:35.986]
#4000(N)()
#4001(S)(5)
#5007(S)()
#4002(S)()
#5101(S)(138)
#10000(S)()
#4003(S)()
#5017(S)()
[11/07 13:29:36.080] Initializing Filesystem Inspector
[11/07 13:29:36.080] File Inspector initialized
[11/07 13:29:36.080] Scanning files
[11/07 13:29:36.080] No results to submit
[11/07 13:29:36.705]
#4000(N)()
#4001(S)(5)
#5007(S)()
#4002(S)()
#5101(S)(138)
#10000(S)()
#4003(S)()
#5017(S)()
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 19:32
Maurice,

Wonder if deleting the log files would "fix" the issue with 8013?

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 19:54
Last edited on 7th Nov, 2013 19:58
jbacinti,

Was that log file generated with PSI 3.0.0.8013 on your 32-bit XP SP3 system?

Maurice,

PSI .8013 has been working fine for me, but I wanted to see what'd happen if I deleted PSILog.txt and PSILog.txt2, which are the two log files that I get. So I followed your instructions and only PSILog.txt was generated this time. The log is far shorter than what jbacinti posted for a copy of his log file.

Here's a copy of the whole log I got:

[11/07 13:17:35.093] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/07 13:17:35.093] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/07 13:17:35.109] WriteFile failed 0x000000e8
[11/07 13:17:45.296] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/07 13:17:45.296] Waiting for pipe to be done
[11/07 13:17:45.296] Closing pipe
[11/07 13:17:45.296] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/07 13:17:45.328] notifyNewTray: server.setIcon('green')
[11/07 13:17:45.328] notifyNewTray: server.updateTooltip('All programs are up to date')
[11/07 13:22:20.765] Waiting for pipe to be done
[11/07 13:22:20.765] Closing pipe

What's the "WriteFile failed 0x000000e8" about and is it something to be concerned about?

Also, and as you see, above, this process took nearly 5 minutes, rather than 35 seconds. This isn't a problem for me, because the scan is successful and PSI displays the results very well. But, your scan took 35 seconds on Windows 7 SP 1 while mine was on 32-bit XP SP3. Would this be why it takes nearly six times longer for me than it does for you? Or, might it be because I'd have many more applications installed on this machine than there are on the machine that you generated the log posted at the link you provided?

If you generated the log on a Secunia machine, then I imagine that there're far few apps installed on it. PSI finds 155 programs on my system or certainly that that many are up to date and the system tray icon is green.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 19:59
My logfile was generated with 7011 on my XP SP3 machine. My machine has 112 programs examined by PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 20:10
jbacinti,

Well, at least you have .7011 working on your XP and if you can't get .8013 working on XP as well, then there's apparently a bright side to this for you. The change log for .8013 and found in the System Requirements page for PSI specifies only the following.

Quote:
Version 3.0.0.8013 (15th October 2013)

The primary changes are:

General Enhancements:

Arabic version now available - To help private PC users in the Arab world stay secure we have introduced the Secunia PSI 3.0 in Arabic.

End quote

Iow, for people who don't need PSI in Arabic, there apparently are no real differences for us between the two versions of PSI. "The primary changes" can leave an impression that there may be some other changes, but I imagine that they'd be specified in the change log. Any important ones definitely would be. But I have the impression that it's only the Arab change or enhancement.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Nov, 2013 21:56
I'm going to reload 8013 tomorrow, delete the log files and see what happens. I'll post the results of my efforts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Nov, 2013 00:05
I think what is being published now is really going over old ground that has already been aired on the Forum.

1. Version 85.0.0.8013 only added the Arabic language. The references are here:

The change log at: https://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

The Blog entry by the CTO here: https://secunia.com/blog/introducing-the-secunia-p...

The recent entry on the Forum by a Secunia Official did not expand on any other enhancements for this version therefore it must be taken as read.

The system requirements also make it clear that Windows 8.1 IE11 is not supported therefore early adopters should expect mixed results until Secunia officially acknowledge support is available.

2.Speed of Results.

Sorry did not expand on how those speeds are achieved. It can be an emotive subject comparing PC's.

Speed of results will differ which are,in the main, dependant on:

The host server output - this has not been a problem since Secunia did some recent back end upgrades.

The number of programmes scanned.

The physical power of the end user PC in terms of hardware & RAM.

The user ISP output speed or what the user is prepared to pay for.

My results are based on 100+ programmes using an 64 Bit Intel i7 with 16GB RAM. The PC is hard wired to a hub which, on average over the last year, has given me a download speed of 76MB & Upload of 22MB via a fibre optic connection (FTTC).I do not work for or represent Secunia & have no access to any of their assets so a bit confused by that idea.

My test PC's run wirelessly using the same ISP connection. Their results, in particular Windows XP are much slower because the PC specifications are much lower.

Your own benchmarks should give a clue as to whether anything is amiss. I work on 10 - 20 secs to load the interface & 13 - 20 secs for a full PSI scan.

3. What's the "WriteFile failed 0x000000e8" about and is it something to be concerned about?

I have noted that entry a few times on my PC's on the PSI log file. The Windows log file makes no reference to it nor does the Windows Action Centre highlight there is an issue.

It was raised here but I personally have ignored it because the end result was achieved & there are no issues elsewhere on my PC's.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/730...

Typing that "error" code into your browser search gives many possible causes of 0x000000e8 with of course an opportunity to buy wonder tool that will cure it. Unless you get grief with Windows I would ignore it.

4. Log Files.
One looks OK to me. Interested to see what the log produces after a reinstall of version 8013.

Not sure how often you clear out your browser(s) cache - that has helped some in the past who do not do it as a routine.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Nov, 2013 00:55
Maurice,

Regarding speed of PSI scans :

Given what you have for PC, the power differences between yours and mine may be part of the reason for PSI scan taking about 5 minutes for me, while it's 35 seconds or so for you, but perhaps the more likely reason is our differences in Internet connection speeds. I'm at 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps or so upload and it's over cable rather than fibre optic. The PC hardware should be sufficient, for it's an Intel Core-2 Quad at 2.5 GHz, 3 GB RAM, since that's all 32-bit XP can use (leaving me with 2 GB out of 5 unused when using XP rather than Korora Linux). And there's definitely plenty of disk space. That should be very sufficient power for hardware with this Dell Optiplex 755 mini tower, I believe.

There's nothing emotive about such comparisons to me, for I graduated in Comp. Sci. and worked 10 years as a software apps and systems programmer, etc. So the hardware comparison stuff is purely technical, absolutely nothing emotional.

Regarding the log file :

You wrote the following.

Quote:
4. Log Files.
One looks OK to me. Interested to see what the log produces after a reinstall of version 8013.

Not sure how often you clear out your browser(s) cache - that has helped some in the past who do not do it as a routine.
End quote

1) Who're you saying that too when speaking of "a reinstall of version 8013"? If to me, then I didn't do a reinstall. All I did was delete PSILog.txt and PSILog.txt2, after which I restarted PSI. Restarting it isn't about reinstalling it.

If you were referring to jbacinti, then he didn't say that he reinstalled 8013; having said that the log he provided a copy of is from PSI 7011 and that he'll be "reloading" 8013 tomorrow.

2) What does the Web browser cache have to do with the execution of PSI and the production of its log file?

PSI doesn't make use of a cache as far as I know. I see nothing of the kind in the Program Files \ Secunia \ PSI folder and its subfolders anyway. There's also not a single file in the following folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michel\Local Settings\Application Data\Secunia PSI

The following folder has no Secunia or PSI subfolder.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michel\Application Data

A Web search of Secunia.com for "PSI cache" produces nothing about this topic, except for a Community forum thread in which some user asked if there's a way to clear this cache and the reply leaves it understood that there isn't such a cache for PSI.

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/10...

So, again, if you mean the Web browser's cache, then how can that possibly interfere with PSI scans?

Lastly, thanks for the post.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Nov, 2013 01:59
jbacinti has stated he is reloading (reinstalling) 8013 tomorrow - his log from a different version will clearly be of interest.

My throwaway reference to browser cache clearing is well documented on this Forum. Clearing it appears to have helped some users to get PSI up & running again as you will note on any search of the Forum you care to make.

To protect my mailbox I will unsubscribe but look in sometime tomorrow to see how jbacinti gets on with 3.0.0.8013.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Nov, 2013 11:17
Last edited on 8th Nov, 2013 11:32
Maurice and jbacinti,

For jbacinti, only part of the third, or certainly the fourth note further below is pertinent in this post, though perhaps the 2nd note also is, depending on what Maurice's response about it will be.

1) About the log file and reinstallation of PSI, you wrote: "One looks OK to me. Interested to see what the log produces after a reinstall of version 8013".

I had mistaken "Interested" for "Interesting", probably due to fatigue. So, the interpretation was in the present rather future tense.

---------------

2) Only one of 2 logs looks ok?

Why do you say this, which of the 2 logs are you saying this about, since jbacinti and I have both posted logs? Taking a look at his again I see "[11/07 13:27:34.064] Scanning files" followed by "[11/07 13:27:34.064] No results to submit" three times and nothing like that appears in the sample log you provided a link for or in the copy of my log. His is also much longer than both of ours.

If there's a tutorial section at Secunia, then it'd possibly contain one on how to read PSI log files. But I saw nothing about tutorials here.

---------------

3) Regarding the browser cache

You, Maurice, replied: "My throwaway reference to browser cache clearing is well documented on this Forum. Clearing it appears to have helped some users to get PSI up & running again as you will note on any search of the Forum you care to make".

I did a Web search of all of Secunia.com for "browser cache" and got a link for the following forum thread begun by a user having had difficulty installing PSI, but it's strictly about that, with nothing about PSI failing the scan or load process. The person was told to clear the browser's cache due to installation problems, apparently due to getting a corrupted or incomplete download of the installer.

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/68...

But, the following thread is fitting enough even if it's about PSI 2.0.0.3003.

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/77...

That's about the scanning/loading by PSI failing, so like the thread, here, just that it's definitely not version 3 and jbacinti said that v2 had worked, I believe. Nonetheless, there's something of real value to note from the thread and the post is cited further on, below.

The second reply by Expert Contributor mogs says to try to "clear out temp. files/browser cache", etc. I don't know about temp. files for Firefox and it seems the user who began the thread appeared to be using IE. I doubt that clearing Firefox cache is ever going to be needed for PSI's scan/loading to work, but if this cleaning works for some IE users, then of value to know about it.

Otoh, if clearing the browser's cache and also temporary internet files was pertinent, then wouldn't the Secunia Official who created the thread linked in part 4 of this post, just below, have specified to do these things in addition to the instructions he gave to follow for trying to get PSI's loading to work?

------------

4) A known reason for PSI not scanning - MISSING PSI executables

This might be of real value for jbacinti.

Again, the following thread was begun by a Secunia official.

"Trouble Scanning? Please read this",
https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/78...

The official's guide provides 3 steps.

Step 1: "1) make sure everything in Internet Explore is as in our FAQ:".

He included the link with this, but the link is to FAQ item 3, which presently says nothing about IE. The FAQ seems to have probably been modified since he/she linked to FAQ 3, for the first FAQ entry for the first group of FAQ's is "The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?".

The latter FAQ is entirely about what to do with IE's settings, etc. It's the same FAQ that's been referred to previously in this thread, here.

It says absolutely nothing about any cache or temp. files, much less saying to clear them, so this cleaning work apparently isn't important for getting PSI scanning to work.

There're 3 posts in the thread.

Post 3 says that the Secunia Official's "instructions from "For 32 bit windows...." ..." worked for getting PSI to scan or load correctly. Similar instructions for Windows 7 users are also specified by the Secunia Official, btw.

Post 2 is by a person who said the PSI scan/loading wasn't working and that he/she discovered that the problem was as quoted immediately below.

Quote:
Bundaburra
14th Mar, 2011 23:18

See my post in "PSI not scanning": http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/775...

In my case the scan would not start because the module psia.exe had gone missing. When you try to start a scan, it starts the service "Secunia PSI Agent", which apparently is set to Manual by default. A message in the System Events says that the service could not be started because the specified file could not be found. After restoring this module from a backup the scan worked OK, but the question is why the module went missing in the first place.

End quote

I'll cite Bundaburra's post in the "PSI not scanning" thread, for he/she therein said that sua.exe was also missing and that he/she wondered if using Firefox 4 RC 1 might be the reason.

Quote:
I had the same problem with the scan not starting, and eventually found that the PSI Agent Service could not start because the specified file (PSIA.EXE) could not be found. On checking the C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI folder, that module was not there. A check with a backup found that SUA.EXE, the automatic updates module, was also missing. After I copied these modules from the backup and restarted the PSI, it was all OK and the scan ran successfully.

Why did those modules go missing? It is suggested earlier that the new IE9 RC may have something to do with the problem. I am not using IE9, but had just installed Firefox 4 RC1, and am wondering if there is something in these new browsers? The PSI was OK before I installed the Firefox 4 RC1.

End quote

No one replied regarding Firefox 4 RC 1. There were a couple of replies mentioning Firefox, but nothing relevant. One person just asked if it was Firefox 3.6.15, but that isn't 4 RC 1. And another, by Maurice Joyce, only said that he doesn't use Firefox or Java.

But what Bundaburra says certainly seems to mean that the PSI window in which the scan results are displayed when scans complete would open and that it's only the scan/loading process that wasn't working. If that's how it was, then Bundaburra's missing psia.exe and sua.exe files might possibly be why jbacinti said that the PSI window stayed, or eventually became and then stayed, completely blank.

I tested this and notes about this are are little further below.

Perhaps jbacinti should check to make sure that these program files are both in the PSI program folder along with psi.exe when PSI 3.0.0.8013 doesn't do the scanning or loading process. If either file is found to be missing, then they could be restored by copying them over from jbacinti's laptop on which PSI is working correctly; or, PSI could just be reinstalled. In both cases, copies of the PSI files, or even the whole PSI programs folder, could be temporarily backed up for a while, like a week or so, say. The backups could be placed in a temp subfolder to create in the PSI programs folder for quick restoration in case the files come to disappear again.

( I'm not sure about this but think that there's a utility that can be used for locking files in place so that they can't be deleted or moved without the user being informed about this and allowed to either permit or block the operation. If there is such a utility, then using it for protecting these PSI files might permit being able to determine what's trying to delete or move them. That could potentially be very helpful for troubleshooting. )

My testing:

To test what'd happen with this XP system with psia.exe removed, I created a temp folder in the PSI programs folder, moved psia.exe to that folder, clicked on the PSI system tray icon to choose to open PSI, and the window opened. This didn't show a completely blank PSI window at all at first, but moving the opened window for the process manager I use (far better than Windows Task Manager) was moved to the foreground, after which the PSI window was brought back to the foreground. This caused PSI's window to become completely blank; fully white.

I then killed psi.exe using the process manager in order to put psia.exe back in the PSI folder and then opened PSI again. It works as it should; fully.

Conclusion:

Since it's happened that psia.exe and also sua.exe have disappeared for unknown reasons and this caused PSI's scanning or loading to not work, then this, plus following the FAQ instructions for modifying the settings of MSIE, are apparently the two first things people should do when PSI's loading doesn't work.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Nov, 2013 15:26
Gentlemen,

Here's what I just completed.

Reinstalled 8013. The uninstall process must have deleted any existing log files as the file I manually deleted was created during the install process.

Deleted the newly created log file.

Started PSI from the icon in the System tray.

Got the error message, clicked No twice. Each time it took 2+ minutes on my PC for the message to appear. Lots of hard drive activity.

Finally clicked Yes on the error message. Killed PSIA.exe with Extensoft task manager. Disk activity stopped and PSI closed.

Here's the log file:

[11/08 09:13:08.736] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/08 09:13:08.736] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/08 09:13:19.533] Initializing Filesystem Inspector

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Nov, 2013 16:10
Mike & Maurice,

Any thoughts on my above reply?

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Nov, 2013 03:52
Last edited on 10th Nov, 2013 07:29
jbacinti,

You wrote on "1st Nov, 2013 13:55", quote:

"I've checked my settings as described in the link by mikecorbell and mine are correct but 8013 nor 7011 run on my XP SP3 32 bit machine. Still looking for a somewhat earlier version of 3.0."

One thing you could do while waiting for an authoritative reply is to now reinstall 7011 on your XP machine and examine the log that'll be produced to see if it's the same as what you now posted for 8013 on November 8th.

Also make sure to check that psia.exe and sua.exe are still in the PSI program folder.

The two .exe's must surely still be in the PSI program folder for 8013 since a partial log was created, or a person could think this. I just tested this by moving the two .exe's to another folder, plus deleting the PSI log file, followed by open PSI from the system tray icon. A partial log file gets created by psi.exe. The following log is what I got.

[11/09 22:24:10.281] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/09 22:24:10.281] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/09 22:38:08.937] Waiting for pipe to be done
[11/09 22:38:08.937] Closing pipe

The following log is produced after putting sua.exe back in the PSI folder, while leaving psia.exe removed.

[11/09 22:54:08.671] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/09 22:54:08.671] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/09 22:54:08.671] WriteFile failed 0x000000e8
[11/09 22:54:19.218] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/09 22:54:19.218] Waiting for pipe to be done
[11/09 22:54:19.218] Closing pipe
[11/09 22:54:19.218] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/09 22:54:19.296] notifyNewTray: server.setIcon('green')
[11/09 22:54:19.296] notifyNewTray: server.updateTooltip('All programs are up to date')

And the following log is produced after putting psia.exe back in the PSI folder. The only difference from the log immediately above are the last two lines in the following one don't appear in the above one.

[11/09 23:05:47.796] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/09 23:05:47.796] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/09 23:05:47.890] WriteFile failed 0x000000e8
[11/09 23:05:58.484] Pipe Server got incoming connection, feeding handle to child.
[11/09 23:05:58.484] Waiting for pipe to be done
[11/09 23:05:58.484] Closing pipe
[11/09 23:05:58.484] Pipe Server accepting incoming connections
[11/09 23:05:58.515] notifyNewTray: server.setIcon('green')
[11/09 23:05:58.515] notifyNewTray: server.updateTooltip('All programs are up to date')
[11/09 23:18:05.171] Waiting for pipe to be done
[11/09 23:18:05.171] Closing pipe

This information evidently isn't going to be helpful for trying to resolve the problem you're having. BUT, it does show that a log is created even if both psia.exe and sua.exe aren't in the PSI program folder.

I'd make sure that the two .exe's are in the PSI folder. This'll take you just a few seconds. But, it evidently isn't what would be causing you to repeatedly get the pop-up message and prompt that should've ceased after you followed the instructions in the FAQ for changes to make to MSIE's internet settings.

Maybe there's something else in those settings that needs to be changed, in your case. I rarely made use of IE besides for verifying if there were Windows Updates available and what was available for optional updates, so I'm not familiar with IE's internet settings. But I guess the FAQ is based on default IE settings and if you've made any changes to them in the past, then perhaps one or more of those changes are the cause of the problem you're having.

Initializing Filesystem Inspector ? :

In all 4 examples of the log files I posted in this thread, none of these show the line saying, "Initializing Filesystem Inspector", while you got this and it also appears in the sample log that Maurice provided a link for. PSI has been working just fine for me, but I wonder why "Initializing Filesystem Inspector" is not appearing in my PSI log.

Disk churning:

I got a little disk churning but it was very brief.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Nov, 2013 17:48
Mike,

Both .exe's are in my PSI folder and apparently always have been.

Reinstalled 7011 and it worked. The log file is too long to copy and paste here but I did see an entry near the end for "Initializing Filesystem Inspector". IN fact, here's the end of the log:

[11/10 11:39:46.408] Initializing Filesystem Inspector
[11/10 11:39:46.408] File Inspector initialized
[11/10 11:39:46.408] Scanning files
[11/10 11:39:46.423] No results to submit
[11/10 11:39:47.064]
#4000(N)()
#4001(S)(5)
#5007(S)()
#4002(S)()
#5101(S)(139)
#10000(S)()
#4003(S)()
#5017(S)()
[11/10 11:40:10.970] Waiting for pipe to be done
[11/10 11:40:10.970] Closing pipe

I'll save a copy of the file if someone wants me to post it somewhere where you can download it.

There must be something other than Arabic in 8013 that is causing my problem plus I think a couple of others had joined in earlier with the same issue.

BTW, I don't even use IE to look for MS updates. Apparently either Mozilla or MS made changes to permit update searches to take place with Firefox.

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Nov, 2013 03:57
Last edited on 11th Nov, 2013 04:04
jbacinti,

I wonder why I'm not getting the "Initializing Filesystem Inspector" PSI log file line and, yet, PSI is working; finding that all 155 softwares supported by PSI on this home XP system are up to date.

Perhaps it's because nothing has changed about the update status of these softwares since the previous time PSI was run. If that's the reason, then PSI must keep a track of the status information somewhere else, besides registering it in the log file in the PSI program folder; if the status of each software, along with the name of or an identifier for each of the softwares, is recorded in the log, at all. After all, I haven't been getting the "Initializing Filesystem Inspector" line after deleting the PSI log file and running PSI again, forcing PSI to create a completely new log file from scratch. An additional location for keeping track of the status for each software detected might possibly be the Windows Registry, but this is just another guess.

What would happen if you now deleted the PSI log files and ran PSI again? (I initially had PSIlog.txt and PSIlog.txt2, but have only the first of these files. Maybe the .txt2 one is created when the .txt log becomes too long. ?) I wonder if you'd get the "Initializing Filesystem Inspector" line, this time, since you've now fully run .7011 and it reports, if I understand correctly, that all of your detected software is up to date.

Only the Arabic language support added to PSI .8013, or not ? :

It's the only change specified in the changelog for PSI and v3.0.0.8013 has been working for me ever since the FAQ instructions were applied in IE's internet settings.

Regarding IE and Firefox:

I've been able to go to Windows Updates, the website, to check for and also do a few Windows updates using Firefox for some years now, but this was after installing the add-on or extension named IE Tab 2.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-...

But, maybe you're right. Perhaps Microsoft has made a change that makes it possible for people to use update.microsoft.com's scan and then be able to do updates to Windows this way while using non-IE-based browsers. People who used Maxthon, which a very good browser from China, could do Windows updates directly using the website, but this is because the IE "engine", or whatever Maxthon called it, was used by this browser. Firefox, really no Mozilla product, does this.

I just searched Mozilla.org and MozillaZine.org to see if there's anything at either of these websites about the above topic and nothing was found for this. There're plenty of pages mentionning IE, but none about Firefox, by default, being able to fully use the Windows Updates page, f.e.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Nov, 2013 15:08
Interesting thought on the file inspector. In the log file created yesterday by 7011 and above what I copied was the list of all the programs inspected, a lot of stuff I didn't understand and at the beginning of the file it appears that 7011 had to go through a startup procedure multiple times. I wonder if that means anything?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Nov, 2013 23:57
So, in your post of 10th Nov, 2013 17:48, here, you didn't provide a complete copy of the log file you got, if I undertand you correctly. Did you start PSI so that it'd create a new log file, or did it run and add to a log file left by previous executions of PSI? You seem to have ran PSI yesterday with a log file that already had stuff in it.

Given that PSI's log entries begin with the date and time of execution, as well as completion, it's obviously easy to be able to find the lines to copy for posting the results of an execution of PSI, here. Each line in the log begins with date and time. Otoh, this doesn't mean that lines you omitted weren't part of the same execution of PSI, for you speak of PSI going through multiple restarts and this isn't shown in the log you posted here on Nov 10th.

It isn't an issue though, since PSI did thoroughly run for you.

If the multiple restarts has to do with the pipe connection, then perhaps this has to do with PSI accessing Secunia servers. In that case, once an adequate connection is established with one of the servers, PSI's execution then moves on to do the scan of a user's installed programs, etc.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Nov, 2013 01:32
Mike,

It was a new log file. I checked the dates and times to make sure. The install program for PSI, when it asks for permission to uninstall another version, must delete log files and open new ones. As I said earlier, I'm sticking with 7011 until someone at Secunia wakes up and listens to our thread. Still funny in my mind is that 8013 works perfectly on my W7, 32 bit machine.

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jmn.southpaw RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Member 13th Nov, 2013 06:15
User Since: 5th Feb 2013
I too have been plagued with this problem, both 3.0.0.7009 and 3.0.0.7011. Even after If systray icon is red, I'll run it and it hangs indefinately (> 2 hours) with "Loading...", even immediately after reboot. Win 7 SP1 Pro x64. Checked Internet zone per FAQ. My workaround, to date (after much trial&error) has been to (1) close the systray icon, then (2) stop both services in this order: (a) Secunia PSI Agent (which is set to Automatic), then (b) Secunia Update Agent (set to Manual); then (3) start only Secunia PSI Agent. Then launch PSI from the Start Menu.

But now....it looks like the workaround is a bit simpler (thanks to Maurice)! I applied his procedure for resetting the log files, and voila, my PSI ran cleanly, with no errors:
(1) Close systray icon with right-click/pick
(2) Delete psialog*.txt from %PROGRAMFILES%\Secunia\PSI
(or under %PROGRAMFILES(X86)% as the case may be)
(3) Run PSI from the Start Menu.

YMMV. I can then run it again multiple times pretty reliably from the systray icon.
This smells like an inter-process comm problem, or a locked file.
Anybody at Secunia know how to run multiple debuggers? :o)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2013 00:40
mikecorbell

An update to your post of 6 November, I wasn't able to do any roll-back since I didn't have an old enough restore point. However, 7009 started working for me once I ran it from my Administrator account, rather then from my User account with UAC admin privilege. Now it does run from my User+UAC account. (Similarly with Belarc Advisor).

I suppose I should be brave and try updating to the later versions, but I am just so happy that I have something running at all that I am reluctant to change it!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2013 01:33
brioni3,

I'd stay away from 8013 until we here more from Secunia. If your current version is working, leave well enough alone. I say thiw assuming you're on XP SP3 32 bit.

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2013 07:43
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2013 07:48
on 14th Nov, 2013 00:40, brioni3 wrote:
mikecorbell

An update to your post of 6 November, I wasn't able to do any roll-back since I didn't have an old enough restore point. However, 7009 started working for me once I ran it from my Administrator account, rather then from my User account with UAC admin privilege. Now it does run from my User+UAC account. (Similarly with Belarc Advisor).

I suppose I should be brave and try updating to the later versions, but I am just so happy that I have something running at all that I am reluctant to change it!

Since 7009 evidently wasn't working for you, before, then I'd give 7011 a try. If it works, then next would be to try 8013. If 8013 failed to work, then I'd uninstall it and reinstall 7011 again, if it works for you.

If neither of those work for you, then just reinstall 7009. Since it's working for you know, then it'll work again. There's no reason for it to fail after reinstallation, if you try out 7011 and 8013, and both of these fail. After all, you finally discovered what the problem was.

I don't know if running PSI with Administrator privilege is required, but it's how I've always run it anyway. And I don't know if it's related to why PSI 8013 worked for me as soon as I applied the instructions in the FAQ for the MSIE internet settings. But if people having problems with getting 8013 to work after having followed the internet settings instructions and they're not running PSI with system administration privilege, then maybe this is the reason. It was for you, so ....

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2013 21:03
Mike,

Since you made the FAQ suggested changes to MSIE I assume you use that browser? If not which browser do you use?

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Nov, 2013 03:17
Last edited on 15th Nov, 2013 03:19
jbacinti,

It's not me who uses IE. PSI uses it. I don't think PSI would need to do this for any software I've personally, say, downloaded and installed, but it might be necessary for some aspects of MS Windows. It seems to be, especially with what the Specification Requirements tab says for PSI under "Software Requirements". The following is what that part of the Req's say.

Quote:
Software Requirements

The latest version of Microsoft Update. You can determine whether or not you are running the latest version by visiting

update.microsoft.com

with Microsoft Internet Explorer, while logged in as the Administrator. If you are able to check your system for missing updates through this tool, your system should function properly with the Secunia PSI.

End quote

That means two things, to me:

1) PSI requires IE; and
2) PSI also needs to be run with Administrator privilege(s).

The browser I use was stated long ago in this thread, but it's Firefox and is always kept current, up to date.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Nov, 2013 16:05
mikecorbell,

I can't seem to find the FAQ for checking the MSIE settings. I found the one for basic Internet connections and I am in compliance. Do you have a link to the FAQ about MSIE?

Thanks,

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Nov, 2013 12:24
Last edited on 17th Nov, 2013 12:32
on 15th Nov, 2013 16:05, jbacinti wrote:
mikecorbell,

I can't seem to find the FAQ for checking the MSIE settings. I found the one for basic Internet connections and I am in compliance. Do you have a link to the FAQ about MSIE?

Thanks,

jbacinti

You should've searched this thread using CTRL+F, f.e., for FAQ and beginning from the top of the page. You're reading this at the bottom of the page, but if you go to the top, click on empty space so as to not cause any action of any sort, and search for "FAQ", then you'd immediately be brought to Maurice's post in which he provided the link that you're asking for. But rather than have you go through this procedure, I'll just duplicate or repeat the link.

https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/persona...

FAQ #1's instructions are what people need to make sure are applied in IE. It presently is the first FAQ under the first subheading or category of, "Running and scanning with the Secunia PSI". The FAQ, itself, is entitled, "The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?".

This latter information may be possibly useful in the future, if ever the FAQ is changed, which seems to have happened in the past, for people posted links for this question in the FAQ in the past and the links in replies were for FAQ 3, rather than 1. Presently, FAQ 3 has nothing to do with the problem you're having, nor do any of the other FAQs. The only one I can see being pertinent is what presently is the very first FAQ and instruction. It's specifically about what's to be done for IE internet settings and making these changes immediately worked for me.

It immediately worked, but I've always run PSI with Administrator privilege, so I didn't have the problem that brioni3 recently mentioned in his/her post. He/she wasn't running PSI with Admin. privilege and PSI wasn't working, but once he/she subsequently ran PSI with Admin. privilege, then it worked. So, then, you say, Ah-ha.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Nov, 2013 18:50
Thanks Mike. I'd already checked those 2 settings a couple of weeks ago and mine were in agreement with the instructions in the FAQ. Checking those some time ago I found they were in accordance and did all the remaining testing of 8013 and 7011. Do you have any other ideas as to why 8013 will not work here?

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Nov, 2013 14:03
jbacinti,

I haven't a clue what's causing you trouble with .8013. All I can think of now is that it'll take the developers at Secunia to be able to give you suggestions for things to try in order to try to get .8013 working, and maybe they'd have a difficult time without having your PC in hand to work with, directly. They might want to run PSI with a programmer's debugging tool; like trace, f.e.

There're trace and strace for C programming, but I don't know what programming language is used for PSI. There should be something like these others.

After all, you seem to have tried everything an ordinary user can.

I don't think it's a bug, for .8013 works for me as well as Maurice, if I recall correctly about what he wrote. But a debugging tool might make it possible to determine why PSI .8013 is failing with your machine. It shouldn't be the OS, since you and I evidently are using the same one, fully.

Could the problem be something about your hardware? What about some program or programs that you have running and that might somehow interfere with PSI? What about not having quite enough free RAM when you run PSI?

I none of those reasons are the problem, then working with a debugging tool is the only thing that comes to mind.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Nov, 2013 15:00
Some of the things you mention as maybe part of the problem with 8013, free RAM, other programs, etc., could be the problem except for the fact that 7011 is working and the only change between it and 8013 was the Arabic language; or so we understand. I guess I'll wait until Secunia picks up this thread and I hear from them or an update to 8013 is released. Thanks for you efforts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2013 01:57
Here's something interesting that may or may not have a relationship to my issue. I just ran 8013 on my W7 32 bit laptop and it told me that I had programs needing a manual update. On my desktop running XP SP3, when that happens it is always Adobe Flash Player ActiveX and NPAPI just as now on my laptop. I don't know whether it's W7 or 8013 but the Adobe programs were updated automatically after I opened PSI on the laptop. This has never happened before with 7011 or earlier versions of PSI on my desktop PC for these 2 programs. Also the same thing happened for Firefox but I had to click on the "error". It was asking for the language; I clicked on English US and all went well. Strange with changing 7011 to 8013 and Arabic.

Just for FWIW.

jbacinti

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2013 04:40
on 20th Nov, 2013 01:57, jbacinti wrote:
... I just ran 8013 on my W7 32 bit laptop and it told me that I had programs needing a manual update. On my desktop running XP SP3, when that happens it is always Adobe Flash Player ActiveX and NPAPI just as now on my laptop. I don't know whether it's W7 or 8013 but the Adobe programs were updated automatically after I opened PSI on the laptop. This has never happened before with 7011 or earlier versions of PSI on my desktop PC for these 2 programs. Also the same thing happened for Firefox but I had to click on the "error". It was asking for the language; I clicked on English US and all went well. Strange with changing 7011 to 8013 and Arabic.

Just for FWIW.

jbacinti

jbacinti,

I don't recall PSI telling me that a manual update is required for any of the software installed that PSI recognizes. What I recall is that PSI provides a link to initiate the update process, which of course begins with downloading the update, first.

That's left in my control and I found some updates done using PSI seemed to be particularly slow, so I don't use PSI for doing updates. I think those updates were for Adobe Flash Player installers for IE and plugin-based browsers.

I only use the notifications in PSI to be informed of when updates are available and then go to the vendor websites or to MajorGeeks.com, f.e., to do the downloads myself, after which I just run the downloaded installers. So, PSI is only serving (me) as an information tool and it's never done or tried to do any updates whatsoever without letting me click on the update link for a particular listed software; meaning the update links in PSI.

It's odd that PSI is doing updates automatically in your case. It's never happened to me over the many years that I've been using PSI.

Regarding NPAPI, I don't recall seeing this listed in PSI. Firefox and Opera, among other browsers, while not IE, use this, but when there's an update for Ffx or Opera, then I don't see anything about NPAPI.

What's this "error" that you get in relation to updating Firefox using PSI?

I never get error messages when installing Firefox and rarely get such messages for any other software installed on my system and updated. Maybe it only happens when doing the update using PSI. (?)

Btw, if you want to download the Adobe Flash Player plugins for IE and Firefox yourself to then do the installations yourself, then the following page is very recommendable. Users can choose to download in either of two formats, .exe or .msi.

https://www.adobe.com/ca/products/flashplayer/dist...

If updating those using PSI works fast enough for you, then there's evidently no reason to bother doing it fully manually yourself.

I don't know what PSI does with the downloaded installers, but by fully doing the updates myself, manually, then I properly name the installation files and keep backups of them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2013 14:55
The "error" was not really an error. If you'll recall, Firefox updates always ask what language you need. So PSI must halt the install to await me selecting English. Always in the past on my XP machine, I'd just go to FF and do the update myself but if PSI wants to do it and I have it set to run off hours, it's OK with me.

The NPAPI has always been on my machines. Its complete title is Adobe Flash Player NPAPI. I have no idea what it does but it doesn't seem to be harmful so I leave it alone.

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Contributor 20th Nov, 2013 18:13
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
NPAPI-Netscape P[/]lugin [b]Application Programming Interface used byGecko-based browsers i.e. Firefox, Netscape PAPI P[/]epper [b]Plugin Application Programming Interface bundled by Google in its Chrome browser(s). From what I am able to understand NPAPI is on its last legs both with Google & Mozilla. Google is on a schedule to 'retire' NPAPI from its Store & Mozilla will in December of this year make NPAPI a 'click to play' option with the introduction of Ff26.
Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2013 18:20
on 20th Nov, 2013 14:55, jbacinti wrote:
The "error" was not really an error. If you'll recall, Firefox updates always ask what language you need. So PSI must halt the install to await me selecting English. Always in the past on my XP machine, I'd just go to FF and do the update myself but if PSI wants to do it and I have it set to run off hours, it's OK with me.

The NPAPI has always been on my machines. Its complete title is Adobe Flash Player NPAPI. I have no idea what it does but it doesn't seem to be harmful so I leave it alone.

jbacinti

You referred to it as an error, and Firefox installation doesn't always prompt for what language to be installed in. Or maybe it doesn't do that for me because the installer is automatically installing the update and using the language that the already installed version was installed for. For Thunderbird, I'm never prompted for language choice. My XP system is in French and there's no way to change this without buying a full copy of XP, which I won't do. But, I download Tbird for English UK and not only doesn't it prompt for language choice, it installs in French; probably because of seeing that the XP system is in French.

I can get by with that due to knowing French well enough to be able to figure out what the menuds and their options are, but my intention is to install Tbird in English.

Firefox installs in English without prompting for language, so there's this odd difference between Ffx and Tbird.

I have no software or programs installed that contain "NPAPI" in their names and Adobe doesn't provide any downloads for Flash Player with NPAPI in the name or called this at the website. What Adobe offers for Windows are Flash Player for IE and for plug-in based browsers. That's how Adobe calls them.

https://www.adobe.com/ca/products/flashplayer/dist...

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads...

Maybe PSI is calling the plugin-based Flash Player NPAPI, but Adobe doesn't.

If you don't do the downloads yourself for programs you've installed and are updating, then this thread shows what can happen. People eventually seek a recent version and can't find anyplace to download it from. All that's needed in that case is the most recent version that worked for the user; just that I have more than enough hard disk space that there're even 3 and 4 of the most recent versions I've downloaded for some software. Only the most recent one that worked can come in handy, as seen with the example provided in a post in this thread, maybe one of your posts, or else it was someone else.

That was for an earlier version of PSI and whoever the person was/is, they were having a lot of difficulty finding a way to get a new copy of it. I don't have such worries.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2013 18:45
Last edited on 20th Nov, 2013 18:50
on 20th Nov, 2013 18:13, wr wrote:
NPAPI-Netscape P[/]lugin [b]Application Programming Interface used byGecko-based browsers i.e. Firefox, Netscape PAPI P[/]epper [b]Plugin Application Programming Interface bundled by Google in its Chrome browser(s). From what I am able to understand NPAPI is on its last legs both with Google & Mozilla. Google is on a schedule to 'retire' NPAPI from its Store & Mozilla will in December of this year make NPAPI a 'click to play' option with the introduction of Ff26.
Hope this helps.

Regards, wr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

Quote:
Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) is a cross-platform plugin architecture used by many web browsers.

Browser support

Web

Google Chrome / Chromium: In September 2013, Google announced that NPAPI support in Chrome would be phased out during 2014 because "NPAPI’s 90s-era architecture has become a leading cause of hangs, crashes, security incidents, and code complexity."[5]

Safari

Konqueror

WebOS Isis browser

Mozilla project applications, including
Firefox

PPAPI

On August 12, 2009, a page on Google Code introduced a new project, Pepper with the associated Pepper Plugin API (PPAPI),[7] "a set of modifications to NPAPI to make plugins more portable and more secure".[8] ...

Browser support

Google Chrome
Chromium ...

Mozilla announced that it was "not interested in or working on Pepper at this time."[10]

10. NPAPI:Pepper - MozillaWiki

End quote

https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI:Pepper

Quote: "Mozilla is not interested in or working on Pepper at this time".

That confirms that the Wikipedia page is right, up to date.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI

There's nothing at mozilla.org or mozillazine.org about Mozilla abandoning or replacing NPAPI at any time in the near future, except that some users communicated about this at support.mozilla.org in the following page.

"I read that Chrome was dropping npapi support - In the article it said that firefox was in December. Is this true? I cannot find a source."
posted 1 month ago
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/972191

A user who's post is entitled, "Chosen solution" wrote the following.

Quote: "Google's announcement is here: ...
I'm not aware of any time line for ending "NPAPI" plugin support in Firefox for desktop systems. However, the "click-to-play" feature, which has been modified in several recent releases, might get some further revisions... "

Another user, one with an untitled post, wrote the following.

Quote: "yes, firefox will put all plugins except the current version of flash on click-to-play on default - however users still have the choice to keep them always activated or on demand... "

You'll find pages that refer to NPAPI at mozilla.org and mozillazine.org, but none that announce anything about Mozilla abandoning NPAPI.

So, your source evidently isn't Mozilla or MozillaZine.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Contributor 20th Nov, 2013 22:30
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
http://www.zdnet.com/chrome-puts-npapi-plugins-on-...

Above link is 'source'-reread my post-I didn't say
Mozilla or anyone was abandoning NPAPI. But as the article states if Chrome has it on 'death watch' &
Mozilla Firefox is gonna 'click to play' this plugin &
possibly many others I'd say this one is on it's last legs.
unsubscribing

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2013 23:01
I'm sorry but I don't understand the message from wr.. Is it relevant to the issues with 8013?

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Expert Contributor 20th Nov, 2013 23:11
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 20th Nov, 2013 23:16
Hi All ,

@jbacinti ,

Just so you know , if you look in your.
.WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash... folder you will see , if , as you say , you have the Mozilla Firefox version installed , a "plug-in.exe" and a NPSW32.dll file ; these constitute the NPAPI plug-in , reading the .dll acronym as Netfix Plug_in ShockWave Flash(system32) . This makes Flash available to your Ff browser and when "FLASH" is not up to date and "insecure" is a major potential threat to your system/machine . Hence all the song and dance about it here (and elsewhere) over the years .

EDITThe info from wr is important to understand as your NPAPI or PPAPi plug-ins are a major bad guy target .

+@mikecorbell ,
I am only running the PSI version 2.0.0.3003 , where I set auto-update to run but with a prompt which means I must agree the "auto" run . I believe the PSI version(s) 3.x have a similar option but the default (to suit Secunia's product aim) is to have the auto-update run as soon as an insecurity/patchable vulnerability is detected .

Please Note : both the vendors and Secunia have always agreed that using the software's internal updater or visiting the website to pick up the latest installer is "much less hassle" than using a third party "updater" ; however because so many people are not technically minded or simply too lazy , then the PSI version 3.x is "designed" to do this all for you . I personally am not convinced that either the software or the SPS installers are as yet good enuff' for a full release version for the intended market and judging by input to the Forum(s) , many people may see programmes updating for days or weeks on end and think they are secure (when they are not) or may worry but know not what to do !!

I sometimes run the auto-update to a programme just to see how it gets aling , but would never trust the PSI with my browsers , Ff or Chrome (Dev Channel , so it doesn't really count , but Frame does) . Same goes for flash and Shockwave and JAVA , "A-U"has never yet worked - so that is a concern .

@mikecorbell ,

My XP system is French but many of my software downloads run quite happily in English(GB) ; to this end Secunia (wisely?,) set the default download as English - International language :ie: not to the System's language (French , in my case) . This has caused confusion before now .
In the PSI version 2.xx , I can got to the software at anytime and (re)select my language (should I ever need to so do ) ; if memory serves , you only get the chance to "reset" your choice of language in the PSI version 3.x when there is a new (security update) version available . So for your TBird , unless you have it not to "auto-update" immediately :eg; with prompt , then you will certainly miss the opportunity .

The PSI version 2.xx is much more amenable to those with a little IT experience .

Hope this is useful .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Nov, 2013 01:17
Gentlemen or Ladies,

My issue is not with downloading updates or Adobe Flash Player; it;s about version 8013 and not being able to "load" or complete a scan. We're off the issue here with all this about NPAPI and PPAPI, etc. I do not have a problem with that. I just want the latest version of PSI to work and I think Secunia should be contacting me/us about that issue. Automatic updating and all this is an operational issue not a software issue. Let's get back on the main issue and drop these comments about updating, etc. OK?

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Continues loading message but never getting past it.
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2013 01:44
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

@jbacinti ,

The OP was satisfied with maurice Joyce's advice , some time ago .

Since then you and others have taken over the thread - hijacking in Forum terms - and therein gone over much ancient and previously debated history ; to the extent that Maurice Joyce has unsubscribed .

You yourself raised the NPAPi problem and the response to wr has caused him to unsubscribe .

Following your response and apparent disinterest in honest contributions , I shall do likewise .

One final piece of advice , take it or leave it ; don't hold your breath waiting for Secunia Support to wade thru' this duologue and give you a detailed response or even a simple one .

Bye .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Nov, 2013 02:00
Anthony,

Please read the entire thread and you'll see that the NPAPI was just additional info for mikecorbell to review given my issue with 8013 not loading. I am not a techie and only looking for any ideas that would make PSI work better for me.

If you haven't followed the thread from the beginning, unsubscribe.

jbacinti
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Nov, 2013 09:22
on 21st Nov, 2013 02:00, jbacinti wrote:
Anthony,

Please read the entire thread and you'll see that the NPAPI was just additional info for mikecorbell to review given my issue with 8013 not loading. I am not a techie and only looking for any ideas that would make PSI work better for me.

If you haven't followed the thread from the beginning, unsubscribe.

jbacinti

jbacinti,

Anthony just said "bye" after saying, to you, "Following your response and apparent disinterest in honest contributions , I shall do likewise", and then saying that no one should expect Secunia to wade through this whole thread. I agree with the latter and it seems that Anthony meant bye as in not planning on returning to this thread.

When we received notifications via e-mail about new posts being added to threads, here, then these don't say anything about what the posts consist of. They may or may not be at all pertinent to you.

And I'll be unsubscribing, for there's nothing more that I can suggest to you. What Maurice said doesn't work for you and nothing I suggested has worked, either. But you agreed that it seems that the only difference with 8013 over 7011 is the addition of support for the Arabic language. if you have no need for that in PSI, then sticking with 7011 is just as good.

Anthony is an "Expert contributor" and said that he's still using the latest release of PSI 2. Any one of us could also do that; just that 8013 and 7011 work for me and I have no particular need for PSI 2 over 3. If PSI 3 did automatic updates for software I have installed and this couldn't be changed, then I'd go back to 2; but 3 isn't auto-updating stuff for me.

So, good luck. I'm signing off and out.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability