Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Recreate update package

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
CSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ausafa Recreate update package
Member 18th Nov, 2013 11:52
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Nov, 2013
System Score: N/A
I have created a package and its in SCCM server for an update. If I recreate package then what happens does it create any problem.

If already created package in SCCM using secunia CSI is downloaded and deployed does recreation of package using Secunia CSI create any problem.

This user no longer exists RE: Recreate update package
Secunia Official 22nd Nov, 2013 12:23
Hi,

Your question was: "If I recreate package then what happens does it create any problem."

a) If you leave the old package in the SCCM and create a second package, both packages are made available to the SCCM and they would likely co-exist. If both packages are approved for Clients, these will install only the correct package they need - in most cases this would be the latest version of the software you created a package for.

b) If you select 'Edit' in the CSI to edit a package which you published earlier to SCCM, and you have already taken actions to deploy, the original file within the SCCM's package repository would be replaced by the new configuration you edited.

However, the SCCM already downloaded the previous package as a separate SCCM package and so it will still be distributing the old configuration which you later on modified. You shall re-synchronize your Software Update Point, fetch the newly configured package, re-approve it for the same SCCM collections (recipients), and then you shall prevent the first package from distribution (cancel it, remove its membership, or delete it by expiring the update).

All in all, having the same package twice in the SCCM at the same time is not an issue.
The only issue with having 2 identical packages is that they take additional storage space.

An issue of having 2 packages for the same program, but with different versions, is that the older version is likely already determined as Insecure and so it doesn't make sense to distribute it. When CSI shows you that a higher version is available, this always means that the older version (for which you created package before) is no longer secure and therefore it makes no sense to keep it approved.

Hopefully, I succeeded to answer your questions.
Else, let us know if you have additional questions to address.

Kind regards / Stay Secure
Rosen Danailov / Security+
Secunia Customer Support

Phone: +45 70205144
Fax: +45 70205145
Direct: +45 33387696

This user no longer exists

RE: Recreate update package
[+]
This reply has been deleted
ausafa RE: Recreate update package
Member 23rd Nov, 2013 07:58
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Nov 2013
thank you very much for this update.

However i have another query in this regards. As you mentioned that i can edit existing created package but when I right click on an existing package i am getting 4 options.

1. Create Update Package
2. Create uninstall package
3. create custom package
4. search the community.

Could you please guide me how can i edit already created package.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 25th Nov, 2013 10:19
Hi,

It seems that you are looking at the wrong menu - published packages are displayed under 'Patching > Available' and not under 'Patching > Secunia Package System'.

Under Secunia Package System menu you will find all updates that you are recommended to create. 2 menus below you will find Available menu where you can see all packages that were already published. Right-click on those to Approve, Decline or Edit a package.

Secunia Customer Support
ausafa RE: Recreate update package
Member 25th Nov, 2013 10:26
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Nov 2013
Thank you very much Sir. Sorry i am asking too much questions.

You you are right i can see all packages under Available and all of them are in SCCM. I have 2 question in this regards.

1. Packages under available are in non approved state though some of them are already deployed to workstations using SCCM. What happen if i approve them.

2. If I decline any package then what will happen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 25th Nov, 2013 13:07
Hi,

Please feel free to address all questions that are pending.
We are most happy to know that we can answer those for you.

When packages are deployed via WSUS you need to use approvals to define the recipients of your packages. When packages are deployed via SCCM, the package goes to the WSUS repository again, but since Approvals are not valid in SCCM, and since there is more work from a package deployment perspective, WSUS Approval are irrelevant for your SCCM.

SCCM only scans the WSUS folder and copies all newly found packages so that these can be repackaged into an SCCM package ready for deployment. As WSUS Approvals are only valid for authoritative WSUS servers, approving or declining a package does not stop SCCM to find the newly created package and to prepare it for future deployment via its distribution channel.

Secunia Customer Support

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+