xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 3.0.0.9 - Unlimited load. Browser blocked.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Pierre_aka_Terdef PSI 3.0.0.9 - Unlimited load. Browser blocked.
Member 20th Nov, 2013 18:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 17th May, 2013
System Score: N/A
Hi,

What is the relationship between PSI and Active Scripting?
What is the relationship between PSI and the default browser? This is not an add-on or a browser plug-in! Is'nt PSI a standalone task ?
In what language is written PSI?
Is it an ActiveX script?
What is this infernal "Loading ..." screen ? What tries to load for hours?
What is this infernal screen "Web Browser - Stop executing this script?"

Windows 7 Intégral SP1 64 bits full update
Kaspersy PURE
Firefox 25.0.1
Sony VAIO i7 8GO

Screen shot 1
http://assiste.free.fr/Assiste/media/images/Secuni...

Screen shot 2

Screen shot 3

I have read the other posts on the same subject (and there are many!).
I did not understand. It speaks Active Scripting in the Internet options, or this notion no longer exists. ASP perhaps ?

An idea?

Thank you very much.

Pierre

--

--
Pierre Pinard - Pierre (aka Terdef)
http://assiste.com depuis (since) 1997
Sécurité des ordinateurs et de la navigation Internet (Computers and Internet browsing security)
Protection contre les cybercriminalités et le côté obscur des nouvelles technologies (Cybercrime and new technologies dirty tricks protection)
Protection de la vie privée (Privacy protection)

mogs RE: PSI 3.0.0.9 - Unlimited load. Browser blocked.
Expert Contributor 20th Nov, 2013 21:48
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 20th Nov, 2013 22:21
@Pierre_aka_Terdef

Hello.
Active Scripting needs to be set as per those in the FAQ for psi to work.....as well as other settings.....
See the following :-
To function correctly the Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers. If you experience any issues where the Secunia PSI cannot complete scanning or where the interface will not load and show you the detected programs, then please do the following.

Open the control panel.
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Click OK then Yes.

Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
Click Close then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.
Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.

If you are still having problems with the Secunia PSI, the services on which the Secunia PSI depends may have been disabled. To verify that they are running, type “Administrative tools” in the start menu search bar or open Administrative tools from the Control Panel.

Now click the Services tool and verify that the “Secunia PSI Agent” is listed and has its “Startup type” set to “Automatic”.

Windows XP users can also try the following: Navigate to the folder where you installed the PSI (usually C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI). Right-click the file “psi” and choose “Properties”. Go to the Compatibility tab and place a check at “Turn off advanced text services for this program”.
Click OK
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Your default browser is used by psi to open links at different times....you can also go from the psi UI direct to the forum....psi will open your default browser. It is necessary to perform some functions.

It seems to me, that you need to roll back to version 3.0.0.7011....later versions are not really necessary and are having problems.
Take a look at the following thread.....see M. Hansen's post....download 3.0.0.7011 using the link.

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14...

Hope that helps....regards.......mogs.....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pierre_aka_Terdef RE: PSI 3.0.0.9 - Unlimited load. Browser blocked.
Member 21st Nov, 2013 08:18
Score: 0
User Since: 17th May 2013
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2013 08:31
Hi,

I repeat my question about the language in which Secunia PSI is written.

In what language is written Secunia PSI?

You are talking of Active Scripting. Active Scripting stands, formally, for ActiveX Scripting.

When the PSI FAQ says to enable “Active Scripting”, it means “Enable ActiveX” but ActiveX technology is :
1/ Available only in Internet Explorer
2/ In complete abandonment in favor of .Net
3/ An incalculable danger (vulnerabilities generator in continuous flow )

So PSI is not, IMHO, an ActiveX control. The solution is not, therefore, to enable “Active Scripting”. Moreover, there is no longer an option “Active Scripting” in the Internet Explorer options, but ActiveX options (which only apply, as many options, only to Internet Explorer and not to Internet connections and other browsers).

Maybe you want to talk about ASP (Active Server Pages) or Windows WSH (Windows Script Host).

Maybe you want to talk about enabling JavaScript. But JavaScript is client side, not server side. If PSI uses the default browser to connect to Secunia servers, it will be under the control of other tools like NoScript . Or PSI window is not a browser window , so we do not have access to modules and browser plug-ins like NoScript (and other settings that have been removed from public settings in browsers and rejected in advanced options as in about: config of Firefox since the 23.0 version) .

Please note that I recommend PSI to my readers, but I meet a rebellion against PSI currently.

I need solutions but I need also, explanations.

I do not want to tell my readers "do this", but say "here's why you must do this."

ps : What are all the formatting tags? There is not only [b] and [i], right?

--

--
Sécurité des ordinateurs et de la navigation Internet (Computers and Internet browsing security)
Protection contre les cybercriminalités et le côté obscur des nouvelles technologies (Cybercrime and new technologies dirty tricks protection)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2013 08:42
Morning !

I cannot answer all your questions to your satisfaction.....hopefully someone from Secunia Support will read your post later, and be able to give you a full explanation.........

Regards........mogs......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pierre_aka_Terdef RE: PSI 3.0.0.9 - Unlimited load. Browser blocked.
Member 21st Nov, 2013 10:13
Score: 0
User Since: 17th May 2013
Hi Mogs

I forgot to thank you for your previous message.

I beg you to forgive me.

--

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2013 10:55
@Pierre

Quite alright....no problem....
If Support do not pick up on this thread today....remember you can e mail them with your queries/requests at :-
support@secunia.com

Regards........mogs........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 3.0.0.9 - Unlimited load. Browser blocked.
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2013 17:46
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Salut ,

While you wait for support , you might like to consider that Secunia use the embedded IE engine for contact between the servers and your GUI on your machine . It is bound to this as part of it's requirement to check out Windows/M$ updates ; hence the internet settings are to ensure correct use of IE . Your default browser is irrelevant to the process .

Do not wait too long , Support can be very slow ; you might wish to reconsider your questions before you mail them (as Mogs has suggested).

Bonne chance .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability