Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: svchost.exe - mega problems on my XP desktop

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 svchost.exe - mega problems on my XP desktop
Contributor 11th Dec, 2013 14:22
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
What an awful morning I've had. I had to use my desktop for an important and urgent job but all morning it's been virtually frozen - Windows Task Manager has been showing CPU at 99%-100% use by svchost.exe (SYSTEM).

Mega worries - have I got a nasty virus etc but I couldn't scan with Malwarebytes because the blasted PC was frozen.

Just been on my laptop and finally found the cause - Microsoft!! AGAIN!!

It only affects XP pcs and is caused by the Windows Update - details are here.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/micro...

It means naff all to me but I'm sure the experts here will understand it.

Any other Secunia member using XP???

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

taffy078 RE: svchost.exe - mega problems on my XP desktop
Contributor 11th Dec, 2013 14:48
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Just had a worrying thought - when Microsoft eventually get around to issuing a patch, how will XP users be able to download it given that their PCs are virtually frozen?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: svchost.exe - mega problems on my XP desktop
Expert Contributor 11th Dec, 2013 15:42
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 11th Dec, 2013 21:13
@taffy078

It doesn't seem as tho' there's much you can do taffy....other than wait for the fix. The article doesn't say so....but as you're experiencing the problem....it seems IE8 on XP is as vulnerable to it as IE6/7 drawn attention to in the article.
At first I thought...."Why doesn't he change his browser ?!"....but that's no solution as it's how IE is involved in the update process....being integral in Windows......that's as I see it, anyrate.
Have you done much cleaning and defragging before you run W.Update....maybe it might have some effect......
Anthony is more likely to have some suggestions of value.

Regards........mogs.........

Edit...
A couple of links to sychost probs/fixes, which might be worth a read here, taff :-
http://www.pchell.com/support/svchosterror.shtml
http://www.ehow.com/how_6559514_fix-windows-svchos...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 12th Dec, 2013 07:39
Hi, Mogs. I clean/defrag every week. It's all down to Microsoft and after trying to connect to their Update screen for five hours last night I had to give up so back to my query How will I be able to download their patch?

I'll be putting that to Microsoft UK repeatedly today.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 12th Dec, 2013 08:09
Last edited on 12th Dec, 2013 13:09
some kind lady on the Norton forum pointed me to here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514140/sv...

I've managed to turn off Automatic Updates, and then went to the Microsoft Update screen. Started checking for updates at 06:55. svchost still using between 83% and 98% of CPU so I'll just have to leave it on until it gets there.

I hope it's a secure link - this blasted problem has turned off my NIS..

PS I'm feeling lonely. 34 of you have viewed this but only Mogs has commented. Does that mean that I'm the only one in the Secunia community having this XP problem?

Or perhaps lots of you have it but can't get here because you've only one PC, XP - and it's dead!

EDIT: I meant to add "Yes - Mogs - yopu can only access Windows Update screen via IE5 or later.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: svchost.exe - mega problems on my XP desktop
Expert Contributor 12th Dec, 2013 16:23
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Hey , you're impatient taffy , been a bit busy myself !!

I run XP SP3 and have the M$/W update problem driving svchost.exe at (at least) 50% CPU plus noisy fans (air not Rugby ones :)). It caries on like this ad nauseum .

ON MY SYSTEM , I can stop the svchost.exe process using task manager and my PC still runs more or less OK . A system reboot should achieve the same thing without the risk ; but with WU set to auto update the problem usually reappears .

I have (always) set WU :-

Start->Control Panel->Security Centre->Automatic Updates - use the (second) link at the bottom left of the window - and set the third option = "Warn in case of new updates without loading" NB my English translation of my French system .

Any othe setting or going "manually" to the M$/W update website will (eventually) set off the svchost.exe - you can see it build up in TM .

This setting should get you the M$ shield in the tray when there are updates for you and clicking the shield will display them . If you click to "download only" the shield will go away and you may or may not get the KB's downloaded without svchost.exe going haywire .

If the shield does not reappear telling you it's ready to install then a reset of WU as above and/or a reboot or some such combination should bring back the shield and your KB's should have arrived and you can go ahead and install them .

It is/will be trial and error (on your idiosyncratic system) but absolutely no point letting the svchost.exe process keep on running . Once "up to date" you can go visit the M$/W update website and check your history , etc without problem (cross fingers , toes , etc .)

Maybe that will halp you .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 14th Dec, 2013 17:32
Hiya, Anthony. Sorted at last - Microsft has just issued 12 updates. Hallelujah!!!!!!!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: svchost.exe - mega problems on my XP desktop
Expert Contributor 16th Dec, 2013 14:48
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2013 13:58
December 16, 2013

Microsoft promises to fix Windows XP SVCHOST redlining 'as soon as possible'

Microsoft has finally posted an explanation for the redlining, 100% CPU utilization lockup that's been frustrating many Windows XP users

By Woody Leonhard | InfoWorld
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/micro...

December 17th, 2013, 04:07 GMT · By Bogdan Popa
Windows XP SVCHOST Bug Fix to Be Launched “Soon”

Even though Windows XP will be retired very soon, Microsoft is still trying to fix all bugs reported by users on the aging operating system. Truth is, it takes quite a lot of time to get a fix for Windows XP, but Microsoft says that it's doing its best to release patches as soon as possible.

This time, Doug Neal, senior program manager for Windows, said in a post on PatchManagement that a fix for the SVCHOST bug causing processors to reach 100 percent usage on Windows XP is likely to be provided soon.

The issue has been around for a while, and even though Microsoft said that it was looking into the matter a few months ago, no fix has been released.

This time, Neal explains that Redmond will do its best to provide users with a fix, after November and December Patch Tuesdays failed to bring a fully-working patch.

“We took what we believed were the right steps to expire large chunks of superseded (outdated, unnecessary) updates in the IE6 and IE7 sup ersedence lists. Testing suggested this would be sufficient and we made the change on the backend in a release in October that expired these many unnecessary updates,” Neal explained.

“Turns out the Windows Update Agent has smarts built into it that outsmarted us and the problem persisted for the majority of impacted customers. We made a more comprehensive change in November and an even larger set of logic and expiration changes in December. Unfortunately, the problem still wasn't solved.”

Even though it appears that Microsoft has managed to identify the cause of the problem, no release date has been provided, which means that it could take a while until users get the fix.

“I appreciate your patience. And want to let you know we're working through the holiday to provide the right fix as soon as possible. As you can imagine, we don't have an ETA. And we want to make sure the next fix is the last and comprehensively solves this for our customers,” Neal concluded.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-XP-SVCHOST-...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: svchost.exe - mega problems on my XP desktop
Expert Contributor 18th Dec, 2013 17:05
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi taffy ,

Good to hear that you got the KB's OK .

You will need to use this same method until M$ get their @**** into gear .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Dec, 2013 08:16
Hi Anthony. Re You will need to use this same method until M$ get their @**** into gear , you may wish to take a look at a corresponding thread on this forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514140/sv...

in particular the posts from DougCuk on 17 Dec 05:11. This suggests that MS are papering over the cracks and that other problems have appeared.

Also on 14 Dec 08:28 and 18 Dec 04:05 in which he tells us that the very helpful Microsoft source of the information via Patchmanagement.org who he quoted on the 14 Dec has asked to be removed from the distribution list - sent to Antarctica perhaps!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer