xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: When with 64-bit PSI be available?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
rbsteinbach When with 64-bit PSI be available?
Member 14th Dec, 2013 23:13
Ranking: 7
User Since: 4th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
It seems from the large number of issues with PSI 3 that it's a good bet that at least part of the problem is that PSI is currently still a 32-bit program. We all want to keep using PSI, but its getting more difficult due to apparent incompatibilities with 64-O/S.

When will a new version be released that is fully 64-bit compiled code?

mogs RE: When with 64-bit PSI be available?
Expert Contributor 14th Dec, 2013 23:59
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@rbsteinbach

Not sure where you're getting the info from....Please see the following :-
System Requirements

The list of requirements that must be met for the Secunia PSI to function correctly are:

Supported Operating Systems (32 & 64 bit):
Microsoft Windows 8
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista SP 1 or later
Microsoft Windows XP - SP 3
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

Hope it helps.....regards........mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rbsteinbach RE: When with 64-bit PSI be available?
Member 15th Dec, 2013 00:27
Score: 7
User Since: 4th Mar 2010
Last edited on 15th Dec, 2013 00:28
Thanx for your assessment, mogs, but I'm asking about a FULLY 64-BIT COMPILED EXECUTABLE, not something 32-bit running under 64-bit. As a former software developer, I have to believe that that would help some of the issues being experienced across the board for the Win7-64-bit and Win-8.x-64-bit installs.

How about it, Secunia Development Team?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: When with 64-bit PSI be available?
Handling Contributor 15th Dec, 2013 00:56
Score: 11830
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This issue was raised a long time ago - I cannot find the thread with Secunia's reply but it gave a thumbs down.

Secunia Support have not been very active on this Forum recently & certainly have not been responding to posts asking for information & updates as can be seen here:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/osi/

I would contact them direct at: support@secunia.com to try & get a response.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Dec, 2013 20:04
Hi Maurice:

Well, I took your suggestion to contact Secunia Support directly and attached a PDF of this thread thru yesterday. Got a reply this morning, but it was not helpful. I was just asked what was not working. So, I responded by suggesting they should look at the PSI Forum messages about "hangs" and "stalls" at startup of PSI-3 and mentioned that there were even recommendations to revert to PSI-2 which is not really in their best interests. I CC'd the message to the Editors at WindowsSecrets.com, who have covered this issue recently in their newsletter.

All in all, not a very satisfying interaction, between the PSI Forum blog, tech support, etc. Sad.

If I receive any kind of substansive assistance or response, I will post it here.

Best wishes.

Rob
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Handling Contributor 16th Dec, 2013 20:47
Rob.
Great shame - but I am not surprised by their response.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 16th Dec, 2013 21:24
@rbsteinbach

Ultimately Secunia will make any decision concerning it's provisioning....but I do think it's worth remembering a couple of points..........
Firstly, it's a free program that many users are appreciative of.
Secondly, there has been extensive Beta testing periods, from psi 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0.......at all stages, from my experience, Secunia has allowed and listened to a wealth of user interaction.
Psi 3.0 came into being from Secunia's own desire to encourage lesser experienced users to patch.....and sometimes facing lots of criticism and opposition from "the flock" !
Despite that...3.0 has continued to be developed....I've tried it myself at different stages....but oft reverted to psi 2.0.0.3003. The latest,psi 3.0 on Vista 32bit, is a gem !
Psi 3.0 didn't start life as a replacement for psi 2.0....for me tho' I think that's where it's arrived !
I have to remind myself from time to time that Secunia is in business...as such, must need to evaluate how effective what resources....whether perhaps some areas justify involvement and possible outlay.

There have been other reasons for stalls so on and so forth.

Sometimes the best interest a user's been able to muster, has been a complaint...in three to five years....and then no further reply !!
I notice you've been a user from 2010 and I wonder why "we" havn't heard much from you at the appropriate times.
As far as I'm concerned...Secunia have displayed phenomenal patience, willingness and integrity thro' the years, and as the beneficiaries thereof, I don't think a little praise of, goes amiss.
I'm sure Secunia listen, and if a feature be deemed viable....eventually introduce.

Regards.....mogs.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Dec, 2013 22:11
Last edited on 16th Dec, 2013 22:12
Thank you for your comments, mogs. You are quite correct that PSI is a no-charge offering, but I remain unimpressed by the lack of meaningful responsiveness by Secunia Support and what I consider the long times to resolve issues such as these.

As for having been a "member" for 2010, I originally joined to take advantage of the forums, but found (as suggested by Maurice and others earlier) that direct contact was more effective. I thought it might be worthwhile to post my 64-bit question here first, but after getting the rejoinder that Secunia staff (still) don't seem to pay much attention to their own forum conversations I contacted them directly with the results I passed along earlier today. As for Secunia "listening" and responding appropriately, I have my doubts. In fact, on the original release of PSI-3 I had terrible screen display problems for which I contacted them directly and was bascially "blown off" -- ie: "We've tested it and have no problems, so you shouldn't have any" -- in other words, its your own fault and we won't fix it. And it was many months before I found a new release that fixed my problem.

I well understand being in business, but one must remember that a business that treats its customers less than satisfactorily will see fewer of them in the future.

It will be interesting to see how this issue plays out, considering that it has been several weeks or even months since it reared its ugly head...

Best wishes.
Rob
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Expert Contributor 16th Dec, 2013 23:13
@rbsteinbach

Thanks for your reply Rob....You must "speak as you find"...Fortunately,my needs of Support, have often been adequately and satisfactorily addressed.....and very politely and prompt.....tho' very often confined to requests concerning existing features.
Did you address your request/s to a particular person ? Might be worth a try....FAO Morten Hansen. Just a suggestion....hope it helps....regards......mogs........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Dec, 2013 23:32
Hi mogs:

Yes, it was Morten with whom I corresponded this morning. No further replies since. I will keep this thread posted as promised.

Best wishes.

Rob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Dec, 2013 23:32
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2013 01:47
Rob,
I agree with you.

It has nothing to do with it being free. Despite requests Secunia refuse to charge for it or create a programme in modern 64Bit with proper options that will satisfy the needs of all users.

All variants have long outstanding (mainly cosmetic) bugs including this website which they are aware of - they just give a standard reply - "this has been passed to the developers".

From there it gets lost - no further comment which gives the impression of a complete lack of interest on their part. Their lack of meaningful communication with users/testers is legendary.

A classic example:
https://secunia.com/community/forum/userthreads/25...

Exactly the same with SMB in BETA - no proper line of communication hence it is/has been in stagnation for months with no information on enhancements/time lines for RTM etc.

If you spend hours testing & then creating suggestions for enhancements to PSI & the website (like some of us do) & get nothing back I am not sure you can call that listening.

My Sent Box in Outlook is certainly not matched by the In Box Receipts from Secunia on such matters.

Listening? Not from where I sit. Ignoring is nearer the fact. Now the lead Forum Support Official has left it is unlikely to improve.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+5

jaymatthew143

RE: When with 64-bit PSI be available?
[+]
This reply has been deleted
M.Hansen RE: When with 64-bit PSI be available?
Secunia Official 17th Dec, 2013 10:35
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi,

We have added the suggestion for the 64bit of the Secunia PSI to our bug-tracking and enhancement system.

Our developers will then be able to review it and take action from there.

@Maurice,
I apologize for our lack of visibility on the forum recently, as you mentioned, we lost our main Secunia Official who was in charge of the forum and general Secunia PSI support,
We will strive to be much more active and provide better technical assistance to those in need.

Many of the suggestions provided by our community are really great, and we are often asking our developers for updates on many of them and are raising the importance level on those that really matters.
Member 17th Dec, 2013 18:24
Hi Morten:

Thanx for your response and promised actions. More attention to the forum blogs can only bring better results all around. I can only hope that the development team will address the issues raised quickly.

Best wishes.

Rob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Dec, 2013 20:23
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2013 20:26
Hi Morten:

I wanted to post my reply to your direct email, so everyone knows what I have experienced.

Thank you for your interest in resolving this. A reminder: My own experiences are just a fraction of those being reported elsewhere. I have a Win7-Pro-64-bit main system with 8GB of RAM and IE-11, plus a Win7-Pro-64-Bit, IE-11 laptop, a WinXP-Pro-Sp3 IE-8 PC, and a WinXP-Pro-Sp3 IE-8 laptop. I also have VirtualBox VMs on my main system running WinXP-Sp3, Win7-Pro-32-bit, WinServer2012R2 and Win8.1-Ent. In addition, I administer the four Win7-Home-Prem-64-Bit workstations at my other business all running IE-11. So, I am not a typical home user. Generally speaking, I am logged in with adminstrator access, and do not perform any other actions while the PSI loading and scanning for updates is occurring.

1) I have had mixed success on my main system with PSI-3 working for awhile but not most recently, which forced me to downgrade to PSI-2, even after unsuccessfully trying uninstalls/reinstalls/newer versions of PSI, and other actions -- with reboot after uninstall/reboot after reinstall/etc. This system had the infamous hang at Loading for up to an hour or more before I would cancel it. Task Manager would show zero CPU usage for PSI, while every other running process was behaving as expected.
2) The four PCs at my other business all are currently running IE-11 and have been able to use PSI-3 v.3.00.9015 (latest). They had had some problems with hang on loading PSI after upgrade from PSI-2 to PSI-3, but it currently seems to work after uninstall/reinstall a later version.
3) The Win7-Pro-64-bit Laptop currently works with PSI-3 latest version, but had required more than one uninstall/reinstall-later-version to become stable without hangs. The very first install of PSI-3 when initially available had a massive display problem that prevented it from accepting any clicks to scan (and according to Secunia Tech Support used IE links for displaying), and it was MANY, many months before an updated version worked correctly. And, that version ended up failing subsequently and needing the uninstall/reinstall process more than once with different versions to finally get it working.
4) The WinXP-Sp3 Laptop currently works with PSI-3 latest version, after upgrade from PSI-2, had worked intermittently with PSI-3 and PSI-2, however had required more than one uninstall/reinstall-later-version to become stable without hangs. I do experience numerous "running script" prompts during loading and/or scanning (see attached).
5) My recently created Win-7-Pro-32-bit VM currently works with PSI-3 latest version, on the first install.
6) The WinSrvr2012R2 VMs (two of them) -- one worked with PSI-3 right away, one never did until the latest attempt of uninstall/reinstall-latest-version. They both currently run with PSI-3.
7) The Win8.1-Ent. VM currently runs PSI-3 latest version, as did its predecessor Win8-Ent VM. As I recall, the Win8-Ent did have intermittent problems with various versions of PSI-3 which were never fully resolved before I upgraded to the Win8.1-Ent version. I will observe that PSI-3 update scanning seems to take an awfully long time (up to 15-min or more) for the few programs (25) installed in this VM. I often just cancel the scan for updates as it is taking too long.
8) The WinXP-Sp3 VM currently runs with PSI-3 latest version, and quickly returns results from scanning for updates of 44 programs found. I just reinstalled PSI-3 after unsuccessfully trying to use it several months ago. I do experience numerous "running script" prompts during loading and/or scanning.
9) The WinXP-Sp3 PC is currently running PSI-2 after too many issues with Hang on Loading for PSI-3, despite numerous uninstalls/reinstalls/other actions attempted.

That sums up my experiences to date. In short, it has been way too painful to make PSI-3 work in too many instances, even after I was successful with multiple attempts at installs, different versions, etc. I must believe that some of these problems are related to depending on IE APIs for PSI-3 functions (as revealed in earlier messages with Secunia Tech Support). I strongly urge that you develop your own routines for ALL functionality and not depend on the ever-changing Micro$$oft IE. PSI-2 always just seems to work on the first install, but the "automatic updating" is often too slow and unreliable compared with "working" installations of PSI-3. With PSI-2 I usually find it faster to just find and install any updated applications myself rather than waiting on PSI-2 to do them.

One other note: In my quests to find alternative update checkers, I did find that Hippo Update Checker often finds additional programs not in the PSI database, which may or may not needing their own updates. But it often misses many that PSI have flagged. Just thought you should know.

Hope this provides some information that is useful.

Rob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 18th Dec, 2013 12:12
Hi Rob,

The various system where you had the issue might have been caused by several different issues, such as the IE 11 bug that affected the PSI version 3.0.0.8013 and 3.0.0.9 for a while.

I've also suggested that we consider building a independent UI for the PSI.
Maybe our developers can find a neat way to still allow us to do server side updates to the PSI so our users don't have to download a new PSI every time we fix a bug.

I will also make the product team aware that it might be a good idea to focus on making the Secunia PSI more resilient and stable rather than adding new features.

I'm well aware of the FileHippo Update Checker and have used it personally on multiple occasions. (When I want the bleeding edge version rather than the latest secure version as the PSI offers)
As the FileHippo Update Checker and the Secunia PSI has different scopes and different detection policy and method, results will in some cases differ.

Should you find that the Secunia PSI does not cover a specific program, you can always use the "Add Program" feature in the Secunia PSI to send us the information we need to add it.
Our Filesignature team will usually process the request within 24 hours on business days.
Member 20th Dec, 2013 02:29
Hi All:

Just an update on my main system. I noticed the new version of PSI 3.0.0.9016 and tried it, after using Revo Uninstaller Pro to remove PSI-2, then reboot, then install PSI-3. This time it worked. So, even though its still a 32-bit application, at least this time it worked. I cannot vouch for if it is any more problem-free on the install (like PSI-2), but at least it worked this time.

Cheers!

Rob
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 20th Dec, 2013 10:45
Hi Rob,

Glad to hear that the initial experience with the new version has improved :-)

Let us know if you run into other issues or have additional feedback.
nolacs22 RE: When with 64-bit PSI be available?
Member 25th Dec, 2013 22:52
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Dec 2013
I agree it is a free program that works for me, and it didn't download toolbars games,crapware with their FREE program.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+