Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: persistent gray tray icon

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
golfforfun persistent gray tray icon
Member 18th Dec, 2013 16:10
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Dec, 2013
System Score: N/A
I recently downloaded and installed the latest version of Avast antivirus and just now downloaded and installed the latest version of Secunia PSI. For the last several days, my Secunia tray icon has been persistently gray where as it used to be green after doing the reported up dates. I have tried numerous times uninstalling and reinstalling both Avast and Secunia - all to no avail. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Anyone aware of any conflicts between Avast, which by the way comes with its own version of a software inspector for up date purposes, and Secunia?

p.s. I can supply version numbers but don't think it's makes any difference since they are the latest versions of software that could be downloaded in the last 24-48 hours.

mogs RE: persistent gray tray icon
Expert Contributor 18th Dec, 2013 18:01
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 18th Dec, 2013 18:02
@golfforfun

What is your OS ?
The only thing I've read of,which may or may not have some relevance to your problem....is with regard to Windows 8.1 and Avast.
I posted it in the following thread :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/145...

5th Nov, 2013 13:50

November 5th, 2013, 08:56 GMT · By Bogdan Popa
avast! Users Need to Upgrade to Version 2014 Before Installing Windows 8.1

You could also check your settings conform to those in the FAQ here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
The Secunia PSI won’t load the interface or won’t complete scanning. What can I do?

Sometimes at install/uninstall a setting gets altered somewhere.

I've found that the icon fades to grey sometimes if the pc's in use for longer periods...but returns to a healthy green some time later...that without having made any alterations nor scanned.

Hope the foregoing is of some use.......regards.......mogs........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
golfforfun RE: persistent gray tray icon
Member 18th Dec, 2013 23:08
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Dec 2013
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and of course everything is up to date. I used to occ see a gray icon for PSI and after restarting my pc and doing a Secunia scan, it would revert to green (or red if it found things needing an update). This is very unusual behavior for PSI on my pc since I've been using it for years and have never had this problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Dec, 2013 23:19
Hi again. I did just complete the steps described in the 2nd link you attached. No success. Still have a gray tray icon.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Dec, 2013 23:40
@golfforfun

So you're now running the very latest psi....3.0.0.9016 ? There's been a few instances of " sleepy icons"....different OS's and psi versions......Have you tried closing psi....then right clicking on the icon.....and then Closing Tray Icon.....go to Start menu and open psi from there ?

Regards........mogs.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2013 02:19
Yes. Tried closing it. tried do a complete uninstall using Revo Uninstaller so it removed most if not all registry entries and then reinstalling. Yes - using 3.0.0.9016 version of PSI. The 'grayness' of the icon persists. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling PSI 2.0 and then installing 3.0 and still no success. I am totally out of ideas. Only thing I haven't tried is doing a Win 7 system restore but everything else is working fine so that seems kind of drastic.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2013 04:46
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2013 04:47
Just some updated info. I did the following:

1. uninstalled PSI, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Avast and rebooted after each uninstall
2 ran scans with CCleaner, Glary Registry Repair and Gary Utilities.
3. installed PSI and still no success.
4. installed AVG antivirus and still no success with PSI tray icon.

I am now totally out of ideas and am thinking I may just have to put with a gray icon and do manual scans periodically which is no big deal so I can do this and am ready to accept it unless someone comes up with a fix for this problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Dec, 2013 05:57
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2013 06:02
@golfforfun

When you run the cursor over the grey icon....does it report anything ? All progs up to date...or a percentage ?
I wouldn't go doin' anything too drastic for the sake of it. I've experienced the odd long standing minor glitch before....and for no apparent reason..it's eventually corrected itself.

You mentioned CCleaner....if you look at Windows start up items within it....is the Tray icon.exe showing in there ?
I tried opening the tray exe in Secunia program files....tho' with a green icon, but nothing happened....but perhaps you might get a reaction.

Being as you've installed/uninstalled a number of times...it might be worth uninstalling again but before you install again, check the registry manually for any leftovers.....if you're familiar with it.

Regards........mogs.......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2013 13:51
Thanks mogs. The tray icon does indeed show up in the list of startup items, however clicking it or pointing to it gives no reaction. I had already gone thru the registry after one of the uninstalls and made sure all of the references to Secunia were removed prior to reinstalling. No luck with that either.

Oh well. Such is life. Luckily, the pc is still working and the world has not ended. In the overall scheme of things, this is most definitely not anything major. Thanks much for the suggestions.

regards back at ya and happy holidays......golf4fun
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Dec, 2013 14:29
@golfforfun

I'm all out of ideas....other than.....I noticed you use Glary Utilities Registry Scanner....they're all different....some pick up things others miss. I've used Auslogics Reg Cleaner ( Freebie ) for all the time I've been with Secunia....right up to and including the latest version.
I run in it with every box ticked....and make a backup....in fact I think that's default behaviour. At the moment it's only picking up about five errors a day....last week after making prog changes, it once hit over a hundred....They've not long had an update to it (10/12/13 ).....might be worth trying as a last resort.....unless someone else on the forum comes up with anything.
Link's as follows if you decide to :-
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-clea...

Sorry I can't be of any further use....regards......mogs.......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2013 16:14
Thanks for the advice about Auslogic. I did that and it found bunches of issues - a few that I was able to ignore and 600 it repaired. The bad news - it did not change the behavior of the PSI tray icon.

Again - Happy Holidays.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Dec, 2013 16:57
@golfforfun

Ah well it's the old fingers crossed that it might yet resolve itself....over the hols, you may also like to take a look at PrivaZer.....goes where other progs don't, and clears out shellbags in the Registry too........it's contributed to a much quicker, sharper....new life kinda feeling, in my 5year old Vista.
You can download the Shellbag cleaner as a standalone entity if you wish...........
http://privazer.com/

Happy hols to you too......mogs

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2013 01:00
Don't know if it means anything, but just finished dinner and turned my laptop on (it woke up from sleep). I was immediately connected to the internet but a balloon appeared from the PSI tray icon that said "please check your internet connection" or something to that effect. The fact that I saw this balloon and the tray icon remains gray leads me to believe that the whole problem is related to the Secunia update agent not being able to connect.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: persistent gray tray icon
Handling Contributor 20th Dec, 2013 01:42
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 20th Dec, 2013 01:45
You are correct in that the icon colours mean this:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pV-WLkDN66I...

Have you checked your log file? That may give a clue to what is causing the lack of connectivity.

Maybe a good idea to create a clean log & go though the sequence of loading. @mogs can then X reference with his log. It should also show if your unique User ID in the registry is corrupt.

EDIT: I have just run a whole series of test on PSI 3.0.0.9016 using Windows 7 - all system from Secunia are go so it is not something from their end.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2013 01:57
Last edited on 20th Dec, 2013 02:02
Thanks Maurice. I've deleted the most recent Secunia log file and will reinstall to create a new one. I have a feeling SOMETHING is indeed corrupted in the registry. Just a question of finding it and fixing it.

Reinstall is done. I have found several lines that say the exact same thing:

"Unable to determine computer distinguished name, error 0x00000547 : Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied."
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2013 03:06
More info has become available. I investigated the registry on my wife's pc (also a Dell laptop and she also has PSI installed). Her registry has several entries for "Secunia Update Agent" if I recall correctly, these entries were found in sections of the registry called "Control Set 1, Control Set 2". These entries DO NOT appear in the registry of MY pc. Going into program files/secunia and clicking on sua.exe has no effect other than for a window to open and close very rapidly. So it appears that something is preventing the up date agent from proper functioning. I did open Glary Utilities, Glary Registry Repair, and Auslogic restored the "fixes" it made dating back several days. So far no effect on the PSI tray icon.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2013 06:14
@golfforfun

There's a copy of a Support note from quite some time ago, which may be worth looking at...as follows :-

Are you comfortable with working with the command line? You need to execute the file "sua.exe" in the PSI directory with "-i -L" parameters.

First, open "cmd" as an administrative user. In Vista and Windows 7, you can type "cmd" in the Start menu and then right-click the icon to launch with elevated priviliges.

Then enter this command for a 32-bit system:
cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI"
And this command for a 64-bit system:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

Please be sure to exclude both quotes.

Then, run
"sua.exe -i -L"

After restarting the PSI, it should now work.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Former helpers, please take note that if the "Secunia Update Agent" is missing from the list of services, that is almost positively the problem and should be addressed before other troubleshooting steps. Thank you kindly.

--
Kind regards,

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2013 13:29
I do feel comfortable using the CMD and I followed your instructions and the good news is that Secunia Update Agent now appears in the registry in the exact spots as it does on my wife's pc. It is also listed as running in the list of services. I double clicked the tray icon to run a Secunia scan and the tray icon is still gray. It says it has started but also says:

Determining computer name
Computer name is 'xxxxxx'
Workgroup name is 'xxxxxxxxx'
Unable to determine computer distinguished name, error 0x00000547 : Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.
Stopping 'Secunia Update Agent' service
'Secunia Update Agent' successfully removed
Starting 'Secunia Update Agent' service
'Secunia Update Agent' service started
'Secunia Update Agent' successfully installed.

I rebooted the pc just to make sure all was ok. After the reboot was finished was when I clicked the tray icon and the gray persists. Thanks again for you help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2013 15:08
So just playing around with the issue - I reinstalled PSI and lo and behold, Secunia Update Agent disappeared from the registry..
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2013 15:20
In looking into that error code I noted above, it appears that there are errors in the registry preventing things from working properly. I'm thinking a reinstalll of Windows might fix the problem? When I say reinstall, I mean just installing it right over itself without a reformat (this is what my son did to get his wifi working and no damage was done). Thoughts???
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2013 21:48
Last edited on 20th Dec, 2013 21:53
A little update - I attempted a System Restore which failed due to a corrupt file. I'll be looking into it a bit further, but it looks like I will be doing an in place upgrade of Windows 7 assuming I can locate the installation disk that came with the pc. My son did that with his and it was an uneventful process and repaired what needed to be repaired. Wish me luck. I'll report back when it's done and let you know if things are working. Instructions for the in place upgrade are here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Have a GREAT weekend.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Dec, 2013 20:35
Final update (I think). I tried doing the in place upgrade of Win 7 Professional and it failed due to some corrupt files. I narrowed it down to Dell Datasafe Backup Local since it was attempting to start during the in place upgrade but I kept getting an error message. Since it was no good, I elected to uninstall that program and voila - the in place upgrade completed and Windows updates are now in process of being done.

And the best part - the Secunia PSI tray icon is now GREEN.

This was a time consuming process, but apparently worth it since who knows what other problems were lurking and were repaired by the in place upgrade.

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions and may our holidays be joyous and uneventful.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DotNettie RE: persistent gray tray icon
Member 22nd Dec, 2013 16:42
User Since: 22nd Dec 2013
I read this thread with interest....I have a desktop running Win7 with no issues and no gray icon. I am not at home so I can't remember which version of PSI 3.0 I have installed.

However, my Windows 8 laptop is another issue. I had to revert to 2.0 after doing the Windows 8.1 upgrade. 2.0 worked, but the icon was gray. I had to manually tell the laptop to scan which was okay with me because at least the scanning process worked properly. I then uninstalled 2.0 with Revo and installed the latest two 3.0 versions and my system tray icon is still gray.

Additionally, PSI occasionally tells me that I should check my internet connection, but I know my connection is working because MBAM, WUP and SAS all update at startup. Perhaps too many are jockeying for position when I get online.

I must say, overall I can live with gray icon, as long as the rest of the program works. I don't have any error messages BTW. It would be nice tho' if the the red/green icon showed up.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2013 20:11
Dotnette - I would think that the gray icon in the tray is indicative of Secunia PSI not being able to reach out to Secunia's servers to determine if you have the latest updates. So it may not just be a question of living with it if it is not doing doing the job for which you have hired it to do.

I don't know much about Win 8 or 8.1 and don't know if Secunia is compatible with it, but in Win 7 Pro, got to a command prompt and ran:

sfc /scannow

When the scan was done, it told me I had issues. After I did the in place upgrade and everything was working, I did another sfc /scannow, and no further issues existed. Everything was clean and working well. I have no clue if that command is available for Win 8, but I'm sure you'll be able to do a google search for it and you'll find out pretty quick.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: persistent gray tray icon
Handling Contributor 22nd Dec, 2013 20:55
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Scannow is available to Windows 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

PSI version 3 is Windows 8 & 8.1 compatible :
https://skydrive.live.com/?mkt=en-GB#cid=E9EA368CB...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: persistent gray tray icon
Member 24th Dec, 2013 00:36
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 24th Dec, 2013 00:38
If you are still having problems- my hunch is Avast. I can't find the posting but a while back I did a reply in which I advised that Avast was acting ""LIKE" a fire wall. In that it would not allow P.S.I. regedit to access to the files needed to run. As a suggestion "only" try uninstalling or temporarily disabling Avast and see if that corrects the problem. You can also go through all settings within Avast for certain permissions so that P.S.I. can function properly. Nothing venured nothing gained sort of thing. Hope this helps

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2013 03:27
Thanks puget, but happily my problem is solved with the in place upgrade of Win 7 Pro. I have a gut feeling that the issue began when I used the Avast removal tool followed by installing AVG and then using the AVG removal tool so I could go back to Avast. As I said in an earlier reply in this thread, sfc /scannow discovered corrupt files which have been corrected with an in place up grade of the operating system. ALL is working very well including Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DotNettie RE: persistent gray tray icon
Member 24th Dec, 2013 14:41
User Since: 22nd Dec 2013
As a followup to my post about my gray icon, and info from OP, I ran an sfc /scannow and there were errors that Windows could not fix.

I posted the CBS log to a Windows group because of the Windows file corruption and it seems the type of error I have has been "explosive" in the words of the folks at www.sysnative.com in Windows 8 & 8.1. I will need to apply the fix. I don't have a clue about whether or not the file corruption has anything to do with my grayed out icon.

On the chance that a reinstall of PSI might work, I removed with REVO and installed the latest version. Am still gray,but it works well if I manually start the scan.

I also checked services.msc. I only have one entry, Secunia PSI Agent. There is no entry for Secunia Update Agent.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2013 15:01
Last edited on 24th Dec, 2013 15:02
Dotnettie - please post the results of the "fix" you apply.

You say that PI works ok when you do a manual scan. When my issue was present, PSI also told me that everything was up to date but I had no way of kowing how accurate that was since I had no way of knowing if PSI was comparing what I had to its database. Has it found that you have things in need of updating? I was concerned that if the icon was gray, it could not reach out to the Secunia servers to fully and adequately determine if things needed updating since a comparison might not be available to compare what I had to what the Secunia database has thus making PSI useless.

Don't be surprised if your fix for the corrupted files doesn't work and you also have to do the in place up grade for Win 8. It's not the end of the world and just takes a bit of time. If you do this, make sure you choose the up grade option and NOT the custom or new installation option.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability