Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI gets stuck updating Adobe Reader

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader XI 11.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Alonshow PSI gets stuck updating Adobe Reader
Member 21st Dec, 2013 04:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Dec, 2013
System Score: N/A
I have been using PSI for about a year, and it never manages to update properly all my software. I haven't managed to have a 100% score yet. It always gets stuck updating some program, normally Adobe Reader. When I click "Click to update", PSI shows the message "updating Adobe Reader [version]" and stays there forever.

I have Adobe Reader installed in the default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader.

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI gets stuck updating Adobe Reader
Handling Contributor 21st Dec, 2013 10:21
Score: 11569
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
If that happens it is better to update any items manually from the vendor site.

You can download & install the Reader from here:

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Alonshow RE: PSI gets stuck updating Adobe Reader
Member 25th Dec, 2013 03:06
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2013
Thank you for your reply. I have just checked for updates from the program itself, and it reports that there are no updates available. Still, PSI includes it in the list of programs that need updating. Is this a bug? Is it safe to tell PSI to ignore updates for Reader?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Dec, 2013 18:56
It is not a bug & I would not ignore it until you are completely sure what PSI has found. If you have the latest version installed it could well be remnants of the old version.

In this instance what file is PSI showing that requires updating or deletion?

FINDING A FILE PATH USING PSI

VERSION 2

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each programme.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Below DETECTED INSTANCES you will see this You can double click this row for additional information & options>double click it>a box will appear>look to the RIGHT & U will see TROUBLESHOOT REPORT in BLUE writing under the heading TOOLBOX> click TroubleShoot Report & it will reveal some information in a box>highlight the information revealed from ---START--- to ---END--- & copy it (CTRL+C) then post it to the Forum (CTRL+V)

VERSION 3
This version does not have such an easy method to publish the path.

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
U will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.
U now have 2 options:
1. Write down the exact file path & install version - return to the Forum & type that information.
2. Take a screen shot & publish that.

Last Reviewed 17:55 26/12/2013

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 27th Dec, 2013 07:31
The problem has disappeared for no apparent reason. Actually, I think that it is the first time that I see the PSI icon in green. I'm so used to see it in red that I thought it had disappeared.

I had a virus infection a couple of months ago and since then I have been doing lots of stuff to keep my machine as safe as possible. Yesterday, in particular I made a comprehensive cleaning with CCleaner. It's the only thing that comes to my mind that might have fixed the issue.

I'll report if it reappears.

Anyway, thank you for your support.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Dec, 2013 09:56
Pleased to see you are all fixed up.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for you sometime tomorrow unless you post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from "tag on" posts

You can of course lock threads you have created. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered you the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

Happy New Year.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Dec, 2013 01:21
Sure, go ahead and lock the thread. I will request a reopening if the problem reappears. For now, PSI is still green (fingers crossed). I think it's better not to accept any solution in this case because I don't know what fixed the problem.

Thanks again for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jan, 2014 23:18
I am having the same problem again, this time with Adobe AIR 3 and Adobe Flash Player 11. For both programs PSI shows the message "Updating <name of the program>" and it stays there forever. I considered downloading updates to both programs manually, but that would defeat the purpose of PSI, right?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Jan, 2014 23:44
This Forum has many threads reporting anything Adobe does not auto install very well.

The core purpose of PSI is to notify users of any programme vulnerabilities that are present on a users system.

Auto updating is an option/feature that some users might want to use but it does not/may not produce instant results.

On that basis many advise & comment on this Forum to update any programme manually if automation appears to fail.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: PSI gets stuck updating Adobe Reader
Expert Contributor 30th Jan, 2014 17:09
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Just to add that I use the PSI version 2.0.0.3003 (on XP) and Adopbe AIR is about the only Adobe or Java product that seems to "auto-update" correctly . The PSI is set to "prompt" so I must agree the "auto-update" ; AIR usually completes in less than 5 minutes .

Having said that I usually do a "manual" update of AIR when I go for Flash or Shockwave .

Secunia and the vendor(s) have always agreed that the programmes' internal updater(s) or downloading directly from the website is the least hassle way when updating . A third party update software however relaible is adding at least one other step/interface to the process .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Feb, 2014 17:22
Last edited on 4th Feb, 2014 17:49
on 29th Jan, 2014 23:44, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Auto updating is an option/feature that some users might want to use but it does not/may not produce instant results.

I'm not sure of what you mean with "might want to use". Any feature of any program is something that users might or might not want to use. Certainly it's not acceptable that a feature doesn't work as advertised, regardless of who wants to use it.

According to what you say, Secunia is making false advertising of their products. These statements are taken from the main PSI page:

"[Secunia PSI] supplies your computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe. The Secunia PSI even automates the updates for your insecure programs."

Obviously this is false.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Feb, 2014 17:55
Anyway, my issue has reappeared, this time with Adobe Flash. Since PSI doesn't "supply my computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe", let alone "automate the updates for my insecure programs", I did a manual install of Flash.

PSI didn't "identify vulnerabilities in non-Microsoft (third-party) programs which can leave my PC open to attacks" (first line of the product description). Actually, it didn't even identify my program. I updated to Flash 12, but PSI keeps listing Flash 11 as the installed version, and complaining that it needs to be updated.

Ideas?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
klscoper RE: PSI gets stuck updating Adobe Reader
Member 4th Feb, 2014 20:18
User Since: 24th Oct 2011
I'm having a similar issue with Adobe Reader.

I did go to the link you suggested. I'm offered 3 different versions of Adobe Reader to download -- none are the same version Secunia suggests I upgrade to.

I chose a version, clicked "download," and I received a message telling me "This type of file could harm your computer."

Suggestions, please.

Kathy
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability