Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Failure to Recognize Updates Made

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
KT Failure to Recognize Updates Made
Member 6th Mar, 2009 19:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 17th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 6th Mar, 2009 19:51

My computer I regularly use is a Dell desktop and Secunia is working fine on it. It recognizes the updates each time unless I need to remove a program or something in a file or it needs to have the computer restarted before it recognizes the update has been applied.

My problem is with my Gateway laptop which I don't use regularly. Last night I booted it up and downloaded the latest updates from Microsoft. After I installed them, I addressed the information from Secunia PSI ver.1003. It listed 6 problems which I then downloaded, using Secunia's access to the information. After I went through the whole list, Secunia still listed all the items needing updates. I did a restart, several times. The message still remained. I checked my version of Secunia, that was fine. I checked the version of the patched programs and Secunia insisted that I still had not updated and listed the wrong version of the programs. I checked each of the programs and I had a version with a much higher number than Secunia told me I had. I then uninstalled Secunia, then downloaded it and reinstalled it. It still gave me the original message. I don't know how to clear this situation. Just below are the programs I am having problems with.

The Symantec program info is on a backup disk partition and I can't remove it yet. The first three are bothering me the most. I really don't know why the MS SQL Server is even on my computer, I am not familiar with it and the MS description of it does not sound like anything I would ever use. Any thoughts out there?

Adobe AIR 1.x 1.5.0.7220

Adobe Flash Player 10.x (General Plug-in) 10.0.12.37

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x 7.0.6000.16762

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 2000.80.2050.0

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 2000.80.2039.0

Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2005 2004.2.1.10

wr RE: Failure to Recognize Updates Made
Contributor 6th Mar, 2009 22:41
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
I'll try to give some of your problems a shot. As for the MS server problems not familiar with the programs. In the Advanced interface you can create an ignore rule for PSI not to scan your backup partition. For the Adobe programs probably this is remnants leftover from the update as the new programs do not overwrite the old programs. Adobe does have available their own uninstaller as add/remove in windows is not supported by Adobe. But my suggestion would be to download & use the free utility Revo Uninstaller. It's one step & easy to use plus it gets rid of all the program you're uninstalling. You may have to reinstall the new Adobe programs. Using PSI Advance interface will show the paths to the programs in question. Hope this info helps. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_fr...
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/
Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Greyghost RE: Failure to Recognize Updates Made
Member 6th Mar, 2009 23:38
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Feb 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 6th Mar, 2009 23:41
This is an attempt by "KT" to reply to "WR" from Tenn. I appreciate the link for Revo Uninstaller and I am now downloading and installing it. I got rid of some of the warnings by telling the program to exclude Drive H but my attempts to tell it to exclude Drive D met with failure (go figure).

When I do my next backup I will see if I can get rid of the other reference it comes up with. At first I did not recognize that it was getting info from the backup drive and old stuff just floating around after it had been supposedly totally deleted. I will address that in the future.

Again, thanks for the link and the assistance. I am having to respond this way because I could not get back in the forum and access/reply normally having just installed a new screen name and password just after I made the original post under the screen name of "KT".
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Failure to Recognize Updates Made
Contributor 6th Mar, 2009 23:55
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
KT glad to see that I could help you as I'm computer challenged. The more you use PSI & possibly read the posts here on this forum the easier problems are solved.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability