xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Errors/updating/confirming Google Chrome update Version 32.0.1700...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
scootermannn Errors/updating/confirming Google Chrome update Version 32.0.1700.102 m
Member 31st Jan, 2014 08:26
Ranking: 0
User Since: 31st Jan, 2014
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2014 08:27

Running
3.0.0.9015 psi Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Microsoft Windows Vista SP 2
latest Google Chrome Version 32.0.1700.102 m

PSI is still reporting as an error even after manual search and update for this latest version and restarting the program.

Other related errors for this program include opening the Mozilla Firefox browser automatically to https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/even though my default browser is explorer.

General operation error notice from windows when I try and set the program to load with admin priviledges requires manual activation/loading at startup.

Question? Will this program notify me weekly of updates even if no admin priviledges given?

---The Windows Help/Support on how to Run or remove blocked startup programs includes this note: If a program that you want to run at startup is being blocked, check the publisher's website to see if there is an updated version of the program available that doesn't require permission or an administrator password to run.

Question? Is there now, or will there be an updated version so this program works without all these operational issues?

taffy078 RE: Errors/updating/confirming Google Chrome update Version 32.0.1700.102 m
Contributor 1st Feb, 2014 09:04
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
I had the same problem. I suggest that you simply open Chrome, click on the three horizontal bars top right, then click on About. This will open the screen where it automatically checks for updates - it will then update & Secunia will (eventually) show a 100% score!

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
scootermannn RE: Errors/updating/confirming Google Chrome update Version 32.0.1700.102 m
Member 1st Feb, 2014 09:22
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Jan 2014
.....simply open Chrome, click on the three horizontal bars top right, then click on About. This will open the screen where it automatically checks for updates - it will then update & Secunia will (eventually) show a 100% score!

Google Chrome already showing up todate and therefore no checking available.....still waiting for Secunia to verify
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Errors/updating/confirming Google Chrome update Version 32.0.1700.102 m
Handling Contributor 1st Feb, 2014 10:35
Score: 11726
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
It is unlikely that Secunia Support will respond because there is not enough detail to substantiate your various findings.

In the case of Google what path does PSI show to the programme it has found?

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
You will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.
You now have 2 options:
1. Write down the exact file path & install version - return to the Forum & type that information.
2. Take a screen shot & publish that.

The path is important because Google leave an older copy installed which PSI will find & report on. The FAQ refers:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

PSI obeys the default browser from the Registry entry. Ideally a screen shot of your current Registry Browser set up would be helpful. The entry in question can become corrupted/changed which can cause issues.

This gives the background information:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

I personally do not fully understand your point on admin rights & start up. If your PC is set up as per the User Manual what function does not work?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Errors/updating/confirming Google Chrome update Version 32.0.1700.102 m
Contributor 1st Feb, 2014 10:59
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
on 1st Feb, 2014 09:22, scootermannn wrote:
.....simply open Chrome, click on the three horizontal bars top right, then click on About. This will open the screen where it automatically checks for updates - it will then update & Secunia will (eventually) show a 100% score!

Google Chrome already showing up todate and therefore no checking available.....still waiting for Secunia to verify

The reason I wrote 'simply' was because it was simple, 'eventually' because at first PSI still showed a 99% score. I didn't touch it and about fifteen minutes later it scored 100%. Sorry that it didn't work for you but I tried.

On my PC now, clicking on Google Chrome in 'Scan Results' shows two entries:

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, version 32.0.1700.102
C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\old_chrome.exe, version 32.0.1700.76

so I presume that the Chrome update didn't remove the old version and that PSI has 'realised' it's a zombie file.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability