Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Mozilla Firefox browser

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Mozilla Foundation
And, this specific program:
Mozilla Firefox 27.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
macko1944 Mozilla Firefox browser
Member 28th Feb, 2014 21:18
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have Mozilla Maintenance installed on my list of PSI(2.0).
I wonder if I could have the Firefox browser installed also,or the maintenance is sufficient to warn me in case an update is available?
I tried suggesting as a "missing"program,but could not get it done.
Please help with any advice.
Thank you!

Post "RE: Mozilla Firefox browser" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Mozilla Firefox browser
Expert Contributor 1st Mar, 2014 14:52
Score: 2427
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

My PSI 2.0.0.3003 "Scan Results" module has one listing displayed for Mozilla Firefox (version) 27.0.1.5156 and two (combined) for Mozilla Maintenance Service 27x (version) 27.0.1.5156 .

Ff 27.x is also displayed (once) in the "Secure Browsing" module with "two listings" for Mozilla Firefox 27.x ; a known bug in 2.0.0.3003.

So the latest/correct version is in the database .

Have you tried a reboot and full rescan since the last update of Ff??

How did you update Ff ?? Was it a Ff "auto-update" , your manual update or did you allow the PSI to update??

I cannot say for sure but the Maintenance entry should show as out of date or something when Ff updates as it appears to be version specific . However , Secunia support may have different detection rules for the browser and maintenance . The "state" of your browser is critical to you so it seems advisable to ensure the correct PSI display to crosscheck ; the version in Firefox browser Help->About Firefox being the defining data .

Do you have Ff set to the default recommended self "auto-update" as per Tools->Options->Advanced->Update ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wr RE: Mozilla Firefox browser
Contributor 1st Mar, 2014 23:06
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2014 23:08
Post deleted-Posted by mistake to wrong thread.
Sorry!

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
macko1944 RE: Mozilla Firefox browser
Member 2nd Mar, 2014 02:47
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Jul 2009
Thank you so much for your response.
For the longest time I was using FF4.0 and refused to update,because I didn't like all the changes(e.g.not allowed to use Google toolbar any more,which I found very useful and used all the time.So,when Secunia reminded me that an update was necessary,I ended up marking the IGNORE.And probably this is why I do not have FF among the listed items any more.However,I have been updating FF for quite a while(always manually)and I thought that I can "recover"FF browser on the list that Secunia checks routinely.But it seems that is not possible.So,in this case,I will just continue(have to I guess) rely on notices in the tech reports that I also get in my regular mail and update when needed.I tend not to like "automatic"update,prefer to see first what's up,etc.
Thank you again for your kind answer!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2014 18:26

Hello again ,

Using a (very) old browser full of security holes is usually a recipe for disaster even with good security software and using impeccable "safe browsing" rules . You may have been unbelievably careful , dead lucky or just flew under everyone's radar if your computer is clean.

I do agree with you about the sadness of not having the great Google Toolbar available anymore ; my set up as of now pretty much compensates and out of sight out of mind sooner or later kicks in !!

In the PSI version 2.x have you checked your ignore rules ?? :-

Go to->Dashboard->Configuration->Settings and select the "Ignore Rules" tab ; if the Firefox rule is still there you can right click the entry and (select) delete and version 27.x should become visible ; you may need a full rescan or it may appear by itself :).

Let us now how you go

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
macko1944 RE: Mozilla Firefox browser
Member 2nd Mar, 2014 19:07
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Jul 2009
All I can say is,THANK GOD FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!Who are always there to respond to any and all problems(no matter how elementary or even stupid they may be).This time it is 100% success.I did exactly as you suggested and now I have what I wanted,as I wanted.
I am 76,had been using a computer for the past 10 yrs.and it is a steady learning experience(not always fun),but the more I learn,it seems,the less I know.so,one more time,many thanks for your help,and even though I am not at all religious,all I can say is:God Bless You!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Mar, 2014 21:15
Last edited on 2nd Mar, 2014 21:22
hi ,

Good news , pleased everything works as you wish .

I am getting on a bit myself and equally as new to personal computers as you . Definitely only got where I am with a little(!!??:)) help from my friends . @wr , who posted above is one of us , so too Maurice Joyce who keeps an eye on all of us .

I still like to know what and why rather than the price of everything and the value of nothing .

Take care and may your god go with you .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability