Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
phramus Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python
Member 21st Mar, 2014 03:18
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Mar, 2014
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2014 03:21

PSI reports end-of-life for python34.dll, saying:

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
Detected Instances:
C:\Windows\System32\python34.dll, version 3.4.150.1013

Latest Version - patching one or more vulnerabilities:
3.1.x
-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

puget1 RE: Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python
Member 21st Mar, 2014 18:40
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Refer to this:https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3 I believe that Secunia will only refer to the latest stable version for upgrade. This was the case for the last update I received from Secunia

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
phramus RE: Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python
Member 23rd Mar, 2014 14:24
User Since: 21st Mar 2014
Last edited on 23rd Mar, 2014 14:25
on 21st Mar, 2014 18:40, puget1 wrote:
Refer to this:https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3 I believe that Secunia will only refer to the latest stable version for upgrade. This was the case for the last update I received from Secunia

Not sure what you're trying to say here. PSI is telling me v3.4 is end-of-life and that I should "upgrade" to 3.1.x. This is nonsense. The link you posted is to a discussion of python3 versus python2, which is not the issue here. Actually, I use both: v2.7.6 and v3.4.0, each of which is the current production version for its respective branch.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python
Member 23rd Mar, 2014 16:44
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 23rd Mar, 2014 16:52
Neither am I 100% sure about your earlier request. If Secunia has recognized the version your comfortable with,go with it. Remember,Secunia will only recognize security patches for vulnerabilities according to the latest WSUS and not minor updates such as language packs. If you are trying to locate a specific file within the executable, there is a plus (+) sign Click on it and it will take you to the specific file in question. Depending on your settings, PSI does at time encounter problems with antiviruses and other security features you are running. You can always manually uninstall and reinstall the the version you are comfortable with. Hopes this helps.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
phramus RE: Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python
Member 25th Mar, 2014 00:00
User Since: 21st Mar 2014
on 23rd Mar, 2014 16:44, puget1 wrote:
Neither am I 100% sure about your earlier request. If Secunia has recognized the version your comfortable with,go with it. Remember,Secunia will only recognize security patches for vulnerabilities according to the latest WSUS and not minor updates such as language packs. If you are trying to locate a specific file within the executable, there is a plus (+) sign Click on it and it will take you to the specific file in question. Depending on your settings, PSI does at time encounter problems with antiviruses and other security features you are running. You can always manually uninstall and reinstall the the version you are comfortable with. Hopes this helps.

PSI reports that the MOST CURRENT version (3.4) of Python3 is END OF LIFE and suggests that a MUCH OLDER VERSION (3.1.x) should be installed instead. It's simply nonsense; and my initial post was merely to advise Secunia of this PSI failure. I don't have a problem to be solved (at least not in this regard). Thanks, though, for taking the time to respond.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python
Expert Contributor 26th Mar, 2014 20:44
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

I'm sure you are aware that Python 3.4 has only just been released (17/03/2014) as per :-

https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/

but your version (??) of the PSI has recognised it .

Why it shows as EOL is a mystery (to me) but as in this SA :-

http://secunia.com/advisories/56258/

Secunia do not mention 3.4 , either as a patch or still being vulnerable .

As Support have not commented here , I would suggest you mail them direct at support@secunia.com and ask them to look at their detection rules .

Let us know now you go .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pappy134 RE: Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python
Member 28th Mar, 2014 23:19
User Since: 17th Oct 2010
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 30th Mar, 2014 18:25
secunia PSI 3.0 always comes on when I log in .[ I would like for it to run in background & only give me results after it has run ..-- it now shows it needs to be scanned as it has never been scanned before for updates.not true help- but on task bar at bottom it shows that all programs are up to date it only started doing this yesterday how do I create a thread & get help on how to get answers & what do I do after I write a question . pappy134

--
pappy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Apparent issue with Secunia PSI & Python
Expert Contributor 31st Mar, 2014 16:00
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi pappy ,

At the near top of this page on the left are 5 tabs , the central one is titled "Forums" and has 12 titles in a banner beneath it ; one is entitled "Create Thread" but is (usually) faulty so do not use it .

Instead , click on the "Forums" tab and this page will reset : you should now see a "Search" option and benaeth that on the right a new link (black with white letters) marked "Create New thread" . Select this and the Create box will be available if you are logged-in to the Community on this page ; if not , you will see the "log-in" box first .

Make sure you include as much detail as possible :ie: version of your OS , the PSI ,etc .

Hope that is clear 'enuff .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability