Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia updates go to Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
macko1944 Secunia updates go to Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome
Member 14th May, 2014 18:58
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
I had repairs done on my computer(Win Vista 64b).I notice that when I do anything with Secunia,(such as update a program manually),instead of it going through Google Chrome as before service was done,now it goes automatically to IE and I do not want this.My default browser is G.Chrome!Please help me by instructing me how to set it back.
Thank you!

Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia updates go to Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome
Handling Contributor 14th May, 2014 23:21
Score: 11785
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Is your default browser set up correctly in the registry?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
macko1944 RE: Secunia updates go to Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome
Member 15th May, 2014 21:08
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Jul 2009
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply to this.
I am not very savvy with computers,but I can tell you for sure,that Google Chrome is my default browser.I set it so in G.Chrome settings,and the computer seems to work as such,the exception has become Secunia,as again right now,as I am writing this,when I logged in to the Secunia Forum,IE brought it up.I really am scared of using IE,and never do,that is why I would be happier with G/Chrome as it used to be.Even though my Secunia is set for automatic updating,I always do it manually,because Secunia takes long(it just show in progress when "allow download".So IE has become and issue that I would rather avoid.
As to the "registry",I am not qualified to go there unless instructed in the greatest detail.
Thanks again,I hope this issue can be helped.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia updates go to Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome
Handling Contributor 16th May, 2014 11:04
I would take a LOOK in the registry just to check it is set correctly for Google.

This is what to look for:

Press WINKEY +R on the keyboard - this will open the Run Box - in the run box type regedit now click OK & it will open the Registry.

You should now see this:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pZRt1gF18-R...

EXPAND HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (there is an arrow on the left) & scroll down until you see HTTP.

EXPAND HTTP>SHELL>OPEN>COMMAND - click on COMMAND & you will see this:

https://1ncuig.bn1303.livefilestore.com/y2piIndlOR...

What wording is there?

EXIT the registry without making any alterations by clicking the red cross on the top right of the page.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th May, 2014 17:28
Thank you so much again for bothering with my problem,I am really grateful.
I tried to follow the steps you recommended(with little tremor in entering registry).I had http with small letters,but I did what you recommended and instead of the https//1cuiq.bnl etc.
I found: ab(default) REG_SZ Value not set
where the ab was written in red.
I exited as instructed.
I may mention that this is a Vista Home 64 bit computer and my IE is 9 (I think Windows doesn't allow any higher,neither do i want to have it.
Much obliged for your kindness!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th May, 2014 21:40
I appreciate you are using Vista & IE9 - that is not really an issue.

I fully understand your stance on entering the Registry. NOTHING can go wrong if a user is only searching - things can get a bit tricky if ALTERATIONS are made without fully understanding the impact it may have on Windows.

From your description I am not sure you have found the correct data.

You should see an entry like this:

https://1ncuig.bn1303.livefilestore.com/y2piIndlOR...

As you will note my PC is correctly set up in that I only use IE as a browser & it shows correctly.

Yours should show Google hence I ask the question "What can you see there".

Hope this helps a bit more.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th May, 2014 01:30
Sorry Maurice,I got nothing like the blue link you wrote down.Can I click on that link,by the way?
Anyway,I tried again and this time I got a little different script.
The red ab is still there followed by(Default)in the Name section:Type REG_SZ and Data :
C\Program Files(x86)Google \Chrome\application...
I am sorry I am giving you so much trouble,but this is as far as I got.How is this?
Interstingly,all other sites accept g.Chrome as my default browser,Secunia is the only one that seems to appear with IE only.
It is not the end of the world,but I never really used IE,and would like to continue not to,since I do read tech news and every week there seems to be something different wrong with IE,so i consider it the least safe to use(for better or worse).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th May, 2014 09:30
Click on my BLUE links - they reveal screen shots of what you are looking for.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th May, 2014 17:01
Thank you for devoting so much of your time to this!
This last step was easy even for me and it is very likely that this gives the information you were asking me in the first place(and I couldn't get it right).
What is written there is:
C\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE"%1
This must be the guilty line that causes (it seems luckily only)Secunia(so far)to come up in spite of G.Chrome being my default browser.
Really appreciate your kindness(!)and many thanks again for taking all this trouble to try to solve a not really crucial problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th May, 2014 21:24
As you can now see your default browser is IE & that is why Secunia is using it.

You need to change it to Google. The Secunia FAQ states:

https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/persona...

Basically what is required is that
C\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE"%1
needs to be replaced by
"C:\Documents and Settings\*****Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -- "%1"

*****Administrator should be replaced with your username for this to work[/b]

I am reluctant to advise further because I have not personally tested the information given by Secunia because I do not use any third party browsers.

It may be better you wait awhile to see if another helper who uses Google can authenticate the Secunia information & show you how to change the registry key or point to a setting within Google that will change that key for you.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th May, 2014 01:19
Thank you so much Maurice.I thought this was going to be easier than it seems to be.So I am going to take your advice and will wait.!I may ask the question again after a while,if there is no answer,in the meantime I am very appreciative for your time and efforts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th May, 2014 01:29
This thread will auto lock after 7 days - I will keep it open for you. Hopefully Anthony (Wells) may appear & I am sure he will help as a Google user.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th May, 2014 01:39
Hi again Maurice,
I think I stumbled on the solution(can't even believe it).I went to Google and asked how to make G.Chrome to be may default browser IN SECUNIA.
The answer was there for someone else,who wanted exactly the opposite,change from Google to IE 8.
But I followed the instructions because they were very simple,so even I dared to try:
Had to go to Start,choose Default programs,choose:Set program access and computer defaults and there I just marked Google Chrome.
And lucky me,when I tried to get Secunia Forum again,it was Google Chr.that brought up the web page and not IE.
Now I hope that this will keep on being like this,because I did not re-start or do anything else.
If this works,I shall mark the problem as solved,and again all I can say is,I am so much obliged to you and people like you,who are always there to give advice and spare their valuable time(I am sure there are better things to do,than worry about others' problems).God bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia updates go to Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2014 15:49
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello both ,

Sorry , I've been away for a while house and animal(s) sitting and safely out of reach of 'phones and computers . Pleased that the problem has been resolved .

Actually , my W8.1.1 64 bit system has Firefox set as it's "principal" default browser (including the Secunia website) ; this is confirmed in both the Registry (HKEY_Classes_Root---->) and in the Default programme settings (Start->Control Panel->Default Programmes) . However the script in the Registry as shown by Secunia here:-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

for my Ff is seemingly inaccurate as the part of the string -requestPending is not showing in my Registry .

It would be helpful to me and other Chrome users , if you (@macko1944) could go back into the Registry and tell us if the relevant entry has changed to identify Chrome as your "Secunia" default browser and if so , what string is being displayed :ie: does it agree with that suggested by Secunia .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th May, 2014 17:49
Hello Mr.Wells,
Thank you for taking the trouble (you too)to deal with this.Before answering in detail(that means only gibberish to me-I know so little about computers-I have to tell you that whatever it was,IT WORKED.I just signed in to the Forum and G.chrome brought it up and not the IE.So,I am rid of the problem and THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP I GOT!
Going to the registry(by clicking on the link Maurice so kindly sent me),I see in addition to what was originally there
Name: ab Default
Type: REG_SZ
Data:(Program Files)Internet Explorer\IEXPLORER.EXE%1 now there is a second line:

Name: Delegate Execute
Type: REG_SZ
Data: (17FE9752-OB5A-4665-84CD-569794602F5C)

But the bottom line,it works for me.
I did miss out on some dots ,in the original (that was there already).If that is significant info,I shall repeat all,please let me know.
Thank you all.I am finished with this issue and will mark it so.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia updates go to Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2014 18:37
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello again ,

Many thanks for the update !!

When it comes to computers then gibberish , magic and all things totally aleatoire are only to be expected .

I too have the "second" line with exactly the same data and equally absolutely no idea what it means ; so as it ain't broke , we won't fix it :))

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer