Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Ignore Win XP end of life

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
daver4 Ignore Win XP end of life
Member 25th Jun, 2014 17:03
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Is there a way to ignore Win XP end of life in order to get a green (100%) display? My computer contains all the XP SP3 updates.

steffens RE: Ignore Win XP end of life
Member 26th Jun, 2014 22:35
Score: 47
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
There is no way to ignore Win XP EOL that any of us PSI users have been able to find. And Secunia doesn't seem to be interested, most likely because it would require a bugfix to PSI, which they seem to be unwilling to do.

The issue was discussed at length in the forum shortly after XP went to EOL status. Here's a link to one of those old threads...
<https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14...>
Was this reply relevant?
+1
linflh RE: Ignore Win XP end of life
Member 27th Jun, 2014 23:14
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Jul 2008
This is nothing against Secunia, I love their program and how it keeps me updated and secure. I miss my green color and 100% status.... But like you and others since XP is EOL I have been in yellow and to this I direct this message to MICROSOFT:

How dare you ignore the still many thousands of XP users by cutting off support. Not everyone can just go out and buy and understand a whole new operating system. If they could even afford to change then you insist we upgrade to a system that older applications can't be recognized or used anymore. Do you have any idea how much money that entails. You have really gone overboard with this. Are we supposed to just throw away everything we have just to use your operating system.....NOT>>>>>You have hurt yourself by leaving us all in the quicksand and this includes many business' that still use this operating system. Without being able to upgrade Internet Explorer it is also forcing some banks to not accept some online banking for people who are still using IE8. They could switch to Google Chrome Browsers and I hope many of them do. You have deserted us long time users. You can be sure I will not buy another MS product again. When my machine finally dies because of your neglect to your older system I will replace with something that will be supported for many years like a MAC. I have never heard of them ever not supporting their systems even for the oldest of machines. I hope you lose so much business you fold.
AGAIN, many thanks to Secunia for all they do to protect and watch over us.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steffens RE: Ignore Win XP end of life
Member 28th Jun, 2014 00:06
Score: 47
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
on 27th Jun, 2014 23:14, linflh wrote:
... When my machine finally dies because of your neglect to your older system I will replace with something that will be supported for many years like a MAC. I have never heard of them ever not supporting their systems even for the oldest of machines. ...

Sadly, this is no longer true.

Apple's current policy is to support only the current OS and two prior versions. And, they often drop hardware support for older models when developing a new version of MacOS.

Example: Apple is currently supporting 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.9 Mavericks. I'm running 10.6 Snow Leopard. Support for 10.6 Snow Leopard ended when 10.9 Mavericks was released. Support for 10.7 Lion will likely end when 10.10 is released.

Example: The reason I'm still running 10.6 Snow Leopard on my Mid 2007 iMac is that my Late 2006 MacBook cannot run 10.7 Lion (or later) -- hardware support was dropped for old machines like my laptop and a number of other Mac models when 10.7 Lion was developed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
linflh RE: Ignore Win XP end of life
Member 28th Jun, 2014 02:11
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Jul 2008
Thanks for that information. Upgrading sounds like it's not a major problem to keep current. That isn't much of a problem. With this newest MS OS they have changed how the whole thing works, instead of the windows and menu's like they were, they have drastically changed in Win8 and people I have talked to just don't like it, they can't find anything and production has gone way down. I have even heard some tech's complaining. I wouldn't mind gradual changes like when we went from Win95, to 98 & then XP. But this Win 8 is downright garbage. Worse is not being able to use whatever software we have already purchased that works very well.
Can you use your older software thru your different versions of Mac? I don't know that much about them. Then of course there is always the option to have one built with Linux (spelling).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Ignore Win XP end of life
Expert Contributor 29th Jun, 2014 19:34
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi linflh ,

Although we are a little off topic and the answer to the OP is that Secunia are aware of the problem and are said to be looking into it - don't hold your breath for anything soon , I would say this :-

1) I am absolutely no fan of M$ or any other Transnational , I've worked for a few and know that "ethics" and "business" just don't mix .

2) I could have kept my XP XP3 and run everything in Sandboxie and been well protected on the web ; would probably have needed to buy the full version (not expensive) even though it is now in the "safe" hands of Invincia and the fees are now annual .

3) My box was extremely dusty inside and my dual core CPU was good but 1GB RAM and an old NVIDIA graphics card ware both in need of work/upgrade at some expense .

4) My tech advisors made sure I checked around (a lot) for something to suit me/us .

5) A new generation HP Desktop with W8 64 bit came up on the net for less than 400 .

6) I am very surprised how effective W8 with must have update .1 and it's update .1 has turned out to be .

7) For me , in it's desktop mode - Metro/Apps display can be ignored from Boot - without a tactile screen but normal (WiFi/unifying) mouse and keyboard it is as easy to use as XP once you are into it .

8) It is much more secure than all previous M$ OS's by using UEFI , see:-

http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-k...

9) I have bypassed the M$ account log-in which can become tedious - if needed to can use a local A/C log-in or go straight in .

10) As I understand it , M$ have included a lot of old software drivers or make them available for W8 , so that my (very old) Canon MP450 printer got it's 64 bit driver from M$ and works perfectly - a lovely surprise :)))

11)There is a lot more stuff hidden away than XP ever had but you don't need to bother with everything ; you'll find it easily enuff if/when you need it .

11) Due to all the "bad" press for W8 , almost every topic and possible or real problem can be followed on the net .

I do realise that I am lucky to be able to afford 400 on my very tight budget but I made the choice and atm I don't regret it . All my other software is from the "freebie" department with "Sandboxie" still top of my list .

Hope that is useful to you .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability