Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: The other issue Java stuck updating

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jckinnick The other issue Java stuck updating
Member 25th Jul, 2014 05:37
Ranking: 4
User Since: 21st May, 2010
System Score: N/A
I tried to post in the other thread, but it said it was resolved. I didn't see any resolution other than just contacting PSI. So is this the other issue with the latest bunch of updates that PSI has not fixed yet. Everything I have on my end says my Java is already up to date.

Maurice Joyce RE: The other issue Java stuck updating
Handling Contributor 25th Jul, 2014 09:36
Score: 11830
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What path does PSI give to the problem?

FINDING A FILE PATH USING PSI

VERSION 2

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each programme.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that you want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Below DETECTED INSTANCES you will see this You can double click this row for additional information & options>double click it>a box will appear>look to the RIGHT & you will see TROUBLESHOOT REPORT in BLUE writing under the heading TOOLBOX> click TroubleShoot Report & it will reveal some information in a box>highlight the information revealed from ---START--- to ---END--- & copy it (CTRL+C) then post it to the Forum (CTRL+V) if you want more help.

VERSION 3
This version does not have such an easy method to publish the path.

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
You will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.
You now have 3 options:
1. Write down the exact file path & install version - return to the Forum & type that information.
2. Take a screen shot & publish that.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jckinnick RE: The other issue Java stuck updating
Member 26th Jul, 2014 05:06
Score: 4
User Since: 21st May 2010
on 25th Jul, 2014 09:36, Maurice Joyce wrote:
What path does PSI give to the problem?

FINDING A FILE PATH USING PSI

VERSION 2

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each programme.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that you want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Below DETECTED INSTANCES you will see this You can double click this row for additional information & options>double click it>a box will appear>look to the RIGHT & you will see TROUBLESHOOT REPORT in BLUE writing under the heading TOOLBOX> click TroubleShoot Report & it will reveal some information in a box>highlight the information revealed from ---START--- to ---END--- & copy it (CTRL+C) then post it to the Forum (CTRL+V) if you want more help.

VERSION 3
This version does not have such an easy method to publish the path.

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
You will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.
You now have 3 options:
1. Write down the exact file path & install version - return to the Forum & type that information.
2. Take a screen shot & publish that.

7060019 is what I have installed and Secunia 3 is the version I have.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jul, 2014 05:08
File path is C\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steffens RE: The other issue Java stuck updating
Member 26th Jul, 2014 08:39
Score: 49
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2014 08:45
on 25th Jul, 2014 05:37, jckinnick wrote:
... Everything I have on my end says my Java is already up to date.

on 26th Jul, 2014 05:06, jckinnick wrote:
7060019 is what I have installed and Secunia 3 is the version I have.

Then "everything", whatever that may be, is NOT telling you the whole truth, because you have 7u60 installed, which is the previous release. Current release is 7u65.

Stop trying to use PSI's updater. Instead, try using the Java control panel to do the update. Or download the installer directly from the Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment 7 Downloads page:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/down...

Dunno what system you have, but the file you want is most likely "jre-7u65-windows-i586.exe" (or possibly "jre-7u65-windows-x64.exe", if you need 64-bit).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jul, 2014 21:14
on 26th Jul, 2014 08:39, steffens wrote:
Then "everything", whatever that may be, is NOT telling you the whole truth, because you have 7u60 installed, which is the previous release. Current release is 7u65.

Stop trying to use PSI's updater. Instead, try using the Java control panel to do the update. Or download the installer directly from the Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment 7 Downloads page:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/down...

Dunno what system you have, but the file you want is most likely "jre-7u65-windows-i586.exe" (or possibly "jre-7u65-windows-x64.exe", if you need 64-bit).

I did do the Java Console check, and even went to Javas check version webpage and they are saying everything is up to date, so Im pretty sure its something on Secunias end.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jul, 2014 23:43
Since you're running PSI v3, whereas I'm running PSI v2, the help I can give you will be somewhat limited.

I have verified that if Java 7u60 is installed, then PSI reports "7.0.600.19". Since that was what you reported in a prior post, it would seem to imply that you are NOT up-to-date, despite what the other tools may be telling you.

So let's try the easy things first...

Have you rebooted and rescanned with PSI since you did the most-recent Java install/upgrade/whatever? If not, then do that NOW before continuing.

Double-click on the Java Control Panel to run it. In the General tab, click on the "About" button. If you're running the latest Java, it should say "Version 7 Update 65 (build 1.7.0_65-b19)". If it says anything else, then you are NOT up-to-date.

Go here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
If you're running the latest Java, it should say "Version 7 Update 65". If it says anything else, then you are NOT up-to-date.

Go here:
http://www.javatester.org/version.html
If you're running the latest Java, it should say "1.7.0_65". If it says anything else, then you are NOT up-to-date.

What does PSI report? it should say "7.0.650.19". If it says anything else, then you are (probably) NOT up-to-date, although in this case, as you said, it could be a PSI problem.

As a last resort, if you cannot get traction on this issue any other way, then try this:
http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/
The JavaRa tool is highly recommended by Brian Krebs for dealing with recalcitrant Java installations. I've used it myself on occasion, it seems to work as advertized, and it appears to be relatively safe for use by non-techies.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jul, 2014 01:40
OK... Back from doing some additional research. Used my WinXP Pro laptop, 'cuz that's the only non-production machine I have available to me ATM.

I reinstalled Java 7u60, the previous release. PSI v2 behaved as expected. Reported version 7.0.600.19 installed and INSECURE. Suggested "Latest version 7u65".

PSI v2 offers an "Install Solution" link. Said link runs IE, which goes to dl.secunia.com and downloads an installer "JavaJRE_7u65_32bit_PSIonlySPS.exe".

Said installer seems to be disfunctional. Tried several times run it in various ways. No Joy. Java installation remains at 7u60. Even after a reboot. (Several of them, actually.)

From this I conclude one of the following is likely to be true:
1) Since MS isn't supporting XP, neither is Secunia. Consequently, the Secunia version of the Java 7u65 installer won't update Java on WinXP since it was NEVER intended to run on WinXP.
2) The Secunia version of the Java 7u65 installer is just plain broken.

Whatever the case, the obvious answer is NOT to use the Secunia updater, but to get the Java 7u65 installer directly from the Java.com download page (or from Oracle) and use that instead.

When I do that, Java updates to 7u65. PSI v2 again behaved as expected. Reported version "7.0.650.19" installed and SECURE.

So IF there's a problem on Secunia's end, then it seems likely to be the custom PSI installer, NOT PSI itself or the signature database.

(But it's more likely still that the problem has nothing whatsoever to do with Secunia or PSI, but instead relates to a faulty Java installation particular to your machine.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: The other issue Java stuck updating
Expert Contributor 27th Jul, 2014 17:03
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

A couple of points may help :-

1)The Secunia SPS java installer has never worked correctly for me and many others ; that was on my XP , I do not have Java on my W8.1.1 atm .

2)The PSI may well be detecting on old file of U60 which has been left behind during updating ; it is designed to so do . It would be worth duoble clicking the file path in the PSI to open the ..\jre7\bin\... folder and see which files are therein .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jul, 2014 05:46
The "about Java" says Version 8 update 11.

I have rebooted several times and ran several PSI scans.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+