xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Windows 7: EoL in January 2015. Are you aware?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 Windows 7: EoL in January 2015. Are you aware?
Contributor 3rd Aug, 2014 08:41
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
I've just been shocked to learn in another thread** that Microsoft will be ending free support for Windows 7 in January 2014.

Am I the only Windows 7 user here who was not aware of this shocking (and disgraceful) change?

PS Sorry for posting here rather than in Programs but it seems that the broken lock on the door to that wing still hasn't been fixed by our Landlords, months after it broke. :o(

**http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/150...

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Maurice Joyce RE: Windows 7: EoL in January 2015. Are you aware?
Handling Contributor 3rd Aug, 2014 09:37
Score: 11771
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 3rd Aug, 2014 10:14
EDIT: Rewrite of original.

Really Really Really - You have NOT read my post correctly nor have you researched the facts very well before posting a hysterical thread with incorrect information.

I wrote Windows 7 leaves MAINSTREAM support in January 2015. If you want to create a thread & expand on that fact the MS life cycle policy is available for all to see here:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselect

Now you check for the difference between MAINSTREAM support & EXTENDED support which goes on until 2020.I did not state that Windows 7 is EOL in January 2015, the policy does not state that so where has the information come from?

No one should be shocked - Microsoft have always published excellent & timely Life Cycle policies to allow commerce to gear up for change.

Apple are no different.

Windows 7 was born in 2009 (it is not ultra modern as you described it in a post recently) - it is getting old & time to consider the next move - Windows 9 or Apple Yosemite - you have 5 years from January 2015 - plenty of time to get organised & prepare.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Leendert Kip Windows 7: EoL in January 2015. Are you aware?
Member 4th Aug, 2014 10:40
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 4th Aug, 2014 10:41
Hi Maurice, Can you explain what's the difference between Mainstream & Extended support? What type of support is discontinued in 2015?

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Aug, 2014 10:42
Last edited on 4th Aug, 2014 10:42
I prefer to leave that to the originator of the thread otherwise we may get crossed wires.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Windows 7: EoL in January 2015. Are you aware?
Dedicated Contributor 4th Aug, 2014 11:54
Score: 1211
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
@Leenderp Kip

See question 3 in http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

For a home user the distinction isn't really relevant. The important thing is that security updates are available throughout extended support. For example, mainstream support for Windows XP ended in 2009; security updates continued until 2014.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
taffy078 RE: Windows 7: EoL in January 2015. Are you aware?
Contributor 4th Aug, 2014 13:51
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Last edited on 4th Aug, 2014 13:53
@ Maurice - I'm disappointed at the tone of your post, especially the intoduction: "Really Really Really - You have NOT read my post correctly nor have you researched the facts very well before posting a hysterical thread with incorrect information."

Yes - I did read your post but was then misled by something that I found on the web - whilst researching - that implied that Mainstream = "free" and Extended = "Paid for".
I think that that was an understandable reaction given that Microsoft are still supporting XP business users (who pay for that) and will do the same for Win7.

I now know (but stand to be corrected) that removing Mainstream Support means no more Service Packs, general fixes/patches and features and removing Extended Support means no more security patches when hackers find holes, no performance improvements, nothing – the OS is effectively dead. Per an excellent (imho) article here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/07/10...

No - I was not hysterical, just angry. I don't remember saying in another thread that Win7 was ultra-modern but, for heaven's sake it's only five years old (XP Support ended after 13 years) and is said to be used by 51% of Home computers. Whilst my XP is creaking, my Win7 works fine for me - I don't need fantastic speeds, clever graphics, 3D (in time), top quality sound etc. and I believe in the maxim "if it ain't broke, why fix it".

It's clearly aimed at pushing everyone towards Win9 so I'm glad that I didn't upgrade to Win8 which must be next for the chop in a few years' time.
One of the sites I visited claimed that whilst the decision has been welcomed by those who think Microsoft should drop "old" products after 5 years and concentrate more on new ones, an equally important group believe they should support "old" products for longer.

But back to my original question. I was totally unaware that Microsoft had made an announcement about dropping any of its support for Win7 - clearly I'm the only one who missed the news! That worries me.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Aug, 2014 15:49
Then please do not refer a link back to a thread where it is plain to see you are referring to but have totally misrepresented what I stated.

If you have carried out research then say so from the onset because this thread & your other one have no connection so what is the point of referring to it?

Perhaps you need to revisit this thread re ultra modern Windows 7.

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/15...

I will unsubscribe. Microsoft's Life cycle policy has got nothing to do with security.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
taffy078 RE: Windows 7: EoL in January 2015. Are you aware?
Contributor 4th Aug, 2014 18:20
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
This thread and the one linked to it are connected because it was in the other thread that you stated "Windows 7 is worth protecting because it does not leave mainstream support until January 2015". Rather than clutter up that thread by asking what Mainstream Support meant, I looked on the internet and was misled there - for which I have already apologised for misrepresenting you. Not deliberately but out of ignorance.

Re the link to which you now refer, my comment about ultra-modern related to the combination of Win7 and IE11. Not quite ultra-modern I accept but I'm not a professional PC expert - as I've admitted before, I thought I was a non-technically minded idiot but perhaps I'm not even that good.

In closing, yes the 'rules' of the forum say it's for security issues but are we really expected to visit another forum for help when something like this happens? That would be a sad day - other products-related forums have separate sections for general PC problems and in the past such help has always been available here.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer