Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Cannot remove From D: (Recovery Partition

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003

This thread has been marked as locked.
Rex Henderson Cannot remove From D: (Recovery Partition
Member 18th Mar, 2009 18:33
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Feb, 2008
System Score: N/A
I have Microsoft Office 2007 installed on my Win XP computer which has PPT 2007. Secunia shows I have this (dangerously?)outdated MSO PPT Viewer 2003 file in my HP Recovery Partition D:\. How do I get into this recovery partition to remove it??

Thanks in advance,

Rex Henderson

wr RE: Cannot remove From D: (Recovery Partition
Contributor 18th Mar, 2009 19:06
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
I don't know of a way to access the recovery disc, but it's really easy to use the Advanced mode & create an ignore rule, that way you want be nagged about the insecurity.
Open Settings
Scroll down to Ignore Rules box.
Under Rule Name type Backup
Under Rule type d:\
Click save ignore rule & then close
Hope this helps. Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Rex Henderson RE: Cannot remove From D: (Recovery Partition
Member 23rd Mar, 2009 15:59
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Feb 2008
Thanksz for your help - most appreciated.
Rex
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Cannot remove From D: (Recovery Partition
Contributor 23rd Mar, 2009 19:02
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
you're welcome-hope everything is OK now.
Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
token114 RE: Cannot remove From D: (Recovery Partition
Member 3rd Jul, 2009 15:31
User Since: 31st Mar 2009
Last edited on 3rd Jul, 2009 15:43
on 18th Mar, 2009 19:06, wr wrote:
I don't know of a way to access the recovery disc, but it's really easy to use the Advanced mode & create an ignore rule, that way you want be nagged about the insecurity.
Open Settings
Scroll down to Ignore Rules box.
Under Rule Name type Backup
Under Rule type d:\
Click save ignore rule & then close
Hope this helps. Regards, wr

I have Win Vista Home Premium (loath to update to SP1), with no MS Office(2003 -07 or otherwise) application installed. I utilize the viewer for work purposes from our company's server. This goes through a Citrix program & portal.

I also have this file (d:\hp\apps\APP06432\src\MSWORKS\PFILES\OFFICE\PPV \PPTVIEW.EXE ) installed on my recovery partition for my HP Pavilion desktop. I don't think that setting an "Ignore Rule" actually will benefit, especially if the "D" drive that is set for "Recovery" somehow gets corrupted because of the presence of this file and becomes unusable. Is "ignoring" the problem an actual solution? I am certain of one thing. I don't want this file on my recovery partition.

Is there a way to safely delete the file from the "D" drive without corrupting the recovery function?

Thanks,
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Cannot remove From D: (Recovery Partition
Handling Contributor 3rd Jul, 2009 16:54
Score: 11610
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Leave the recovery drive intact. PSI will continue to scan it but will not report on it.

The recovery drive has no access to anything nasty. If U ever use it that will be the time to remove/update the offending file.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
liujing RE: Cannot remove From D: (Recovery Partition
Member 23rd Jul, 2009 08:07
User Since: 23rd Jul 2009
Hey guys! Iíve found a free 64 bit Windows partition manager by accident. I downloaded it and used it. This software was amazing and easy to use. The most important is that it is free here I would like to share it with you. Following are copied from the website:

Partition Wizard Home Edition is a free partition manager designed by MT Solution Ltd. It supports 32/64 bit Windows Operating System including Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Home users can perform complicated partition operations by using this powerful but free partition manager to manage their hard disk partition such as Resizing partitions, Copying partitions, Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition, Convert partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Change drive letter, Set active partition and Partition Recovery.

Partition Wizard comes absolutely free for Home user and free of charge for business user. Home users, business users, system administrators can easily use this Windows based software to manage their disk partitions. Download it for free from http://www.PartitionWizard.com and enjoy the new technology and new experience of Partition Wizard.

More information at http://www.partitionwizard.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability