Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
txtedbr00 Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 19th Mar, 2009 16:03
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
After uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Adobe Reader 9.1, the advisory still reflects this site as a category five threat. After reviewing the Adobe Security Information, it indicates that 9.1 is totally safe. I have also restarted and rescanned Secunia PSI (simple version) and it still reflects the same Adobe threat(s). On my other computer (Dell) it does not list any threats, although the same Adobe products are downloaded on it (Reader, Acrobat.com, Flash Player (IE only) and Shockwave Player). Is there a problem with Secunia reading the updated Adobe information that I've just installed today?

wr RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Contributor 19th Mar, 2009 16:40
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Probably no problem with PSI but with Adobe. After installing updates all the old files were not deleted or overwritten & PSI is detecting them also. To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, please follow these guidelines using the
advanced interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
* Click on the entry of the program to “expand” it.
* Click on Technical details to see the installation path of the detected file.
* Remember the installation path and close down the menu.
* Click Open Folder and locate the detected file.
You can then manually delete these remnants-reboot-rescan & hopefully all is well. Good luck & regards.
wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hp pavilion RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 5th Apr, 2009 10:25
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
Last edited on 5th Apr, 2009 10:26
on 19th Mar, 2009 16:03, txtedbr00 wrote:
After uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Adobe Reader 9.1, the advisory still reflects this site as a category five threat. After reviewing the Adobe Security Information, it indicates that 9.1 is totally safe. I have also restarted and rescanned Secunia PSI (simple version) and it still reflects the same Adobe threat(s). On my other computer (Dell) it does not list any threats, although the same Adobe products are downloaded on it (Reader, Acrobat.com, Flash Player (IE only) and Shockwave Player). Is there a problem with Secunia reading the updated Adobe information that I've just installed today?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
duffaire RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 5th Apr, 2009 18:06
User Since: 30th Dec 2008
I had the same problem, PSI still displaying a threat after updating, but after trying advice to change to Advance then highlighting the program and checking the show folder, I found that it was picking up the progam in my backup, deleted this and now 100%
Was this reply relevant?
+0
charlie204 RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 12th Apr, 2009 08:45
User Since: 4th Oct 2008
I have found at least on two different occasions, when I updated Adobe Acrobat reader, the update also installed **new** out-of-date versions of some other programs, either adobe air or something else. Presumably, the download from Adobe is a package, and you may be getting some good stuff and something else which is already out of date. Re-scanning is a good idea, after doing an update, to see whether or not any attached downloads are out of date.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Handling Contributor 12th Apr, 2009 11:38
Score: 11793
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 14th Apr, 2009 00:29
I have copied this from another one of my threads which U may wish to consider.
by Maurice Joyce on 14th Mar, 2009 23:13

User Since: 4th Jan, 2009

Secunia System Score: 100%

If like many U only use Adobe Reader to read web pages & email attachments in the PDF format U only require a reader.

The updated Adobe (9.1) has put 3 elements in add/remove
Adobe Reader
Acrobat.com
Air
in all a total of 41.1MB!

Foxit is about 4MB

If U prefer Foxit U can uninstall all 3 Adobe elements and still read any PDF document perfectly.
Foxit can be downloaded from here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/down_reade...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
meintower RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 14th Apr, 2009 23:19
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 14th Apr, 2009 23:26
on 12th Apr, 2009 11:38, Maurice Joyce wrote:
I have copied this from another one of my threads which U may wish to consider.
by Maurice Joyce on 14th Mar, 2009 23:13

User Since: 4th Jan, 2009

If like many U only use Adobe Reader to read web pages & email attachments in the PDF format U only require a reader.

The updated Adobe (9.1) has put 3 elements in add/remove
Adobe Reader
Acrobat.com
Air
in all a total of 41.1MB!

Foxit is about 4MB

If U prefer Foxit U can uninstall all 3 Adobe elements and still read any PDF document perfectly.
Foxit can be downloaded from here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/down_reade...
Hello, Maurice!Several weeks ago,after reading one of your advices on this subject ,I've decided to download Foxit Reader,without renouncing Adobe Reader, though.I would say I didn't find it as good as Adobe9.1;it seemed to me rather simplistic ,so to speak,without some good "utilities" the latter has.But what do I know!You are the greatest authority for me ,regarding IT-subjects and I couldn't argue you, ever! But I wanted to give this feedback about Foxit.(Am I crazy for liking this Adobe9.1 stuff which,by the way, gave me a lot of trouble when I needed to update it from 9.0 to 9.1;love hurts,indeed!).My best wishes for this spring to you,Maurice, and to all you Secuniards ,there!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Apr, 2009 11:04
@meintower

No - U are correct. If U like something stick with it. I do point out that Foxit is,in my view, better for those who just use it in the basic mode to read emails etc.

My real point is many web pages say "to read this document U need Adobe Reader which can be downloaded from here" and the provide a link. This is misleading - U need a PDF reader & Foxit will do the job.

Foxit does have many plugins if U want them - the downside is some are on repayment.
Hope U had a nice Easter break.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Manuel05 RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 14th May, 2009 14:41
User Since: 24th Apr 2009

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Recruiter RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 14th May, 2009 15:08
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
Check out the solution on this link. I think it solves the problem.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/userthreads/936...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jacob Buskjaer RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 15th May, 2009 10:08
User Since: 30th Mar 2009
System Score: 97%

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jacob Buskjaer RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 15th May, 2009 10:08
User Since: 30th Mar 2009
System Score: 97%

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Leendert Kip Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 15th May, 2009 11:29
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 15th May, 2009 11:32
I'll try to help you with my current experience. It's correct that the last version in March was 9.1. Earlier this week there was an update to 9.1.1. Try the following: open Adobe Reader, click on Help, click on search for updates. I assume that then the update to 9.1.1. is shown.
I hope your problem will be solved. Further advice: switch psi to advanced mode. This gives more facilities.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th May, 2009 15:33
In my situation, that I wrote about earlier, Acrobat Reader opened up as v9.1.1 after going through all the update steps. I even tried using the Help>Update menu to run the update, but Secunia still kept coming back with a threat found. My way around it was to uninstall Acrobat Reader, then in Windows Explorer check for any remnant files for the Reader under Adobe, not the main Adobe folder, that may mess up your other Adobe programs. Next reinstall the reader, that installs v9.1.06. Then install the update. That will bring you to v9.1.1, and Secunia should be OK.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th May, 2009 03:39
Last edited on 16th May, 2009 03:42
on 15th May, 2009 15:33, Recruiter wrote:
In my situation, that I wrote about earlier, Acrobat Reader opened up as v9.1.1 after going through all the update steps. I even tried using the Help>Update menu to run the update, but Secunia still kept coming back with a threat found. My way around it was to uninstall Acrobat Reader, then in Windows Explorer check for any remnant files for the Reader under Adobe, not the main Adobe folder, that may mess up your other Adobe programs. Next reinstall the reader, that installs v9.1.06. Then install the update. That will bring you to v9.1.1, and Secunia should be OK.

Hello!What happens if I have Adobe9.1 and Secunia PSI doesn't say anything about it being in need for update to 9.1.1 ?

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th May, 2009 05:17
Last edited on 16th May, 2009 05:17
on 16th May, 2009 03:39, meintower wrote:
Hello!What happens if I have Adobe9.1 and Secunia PSI doesn't say anything about it being in need for update to 9.1.1 ?

Then you probably already have v9.1.1. In which case you're all set
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jkjellerup RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 16th May, 2009 12:51
User Since: 30th Nov 2008
on 19th Mar, 2009 16:40, wr wrote:
Probably no problem with PSI but with Adobe. After installing updates all the old files were not deleted or overwritten & PSI is detecting them also. To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, please follow these guidelines using the
advanced interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
You can then manually delete these remnants-reboot-rescan & hopefully all is well. Good luck & regards.
wr

Was this reply relevant?
+0
sec-berny RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 16th May, 2009 18:59
User Since: 3rd Mar 2009
Last edited on 16th May, 2009 19:01
After uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Adobe Reader 9.1, the advisory still reflects this site as a category five threat.

Hello,

I am fairly new here ... When upgrading to 9.1 i got same issue,
but after this upgrade i got prompted for a very small patch named
"AdbeRdrUpd911_all_incr" (2.100 kB).

After installing this above mentioned patch i got a clean report :-)

Berny +++

--
Vista Business SP1 & XP Home SP3 : IE 8 & Fx 3 - KAV 8.0.0.506 - Gsi 4.0 - SAS 4.26 Pro - Mbam (on_demand) - HostsMan 3.2.70 - Secunia PSI 1.0.0.4 - Sandboxie 3.36.04 (full version)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th May, 2009 19:38
Last edited on 16th May, 2009 19:41
on 16th May, 2009 18:59, sec-berny wrote:
Hello,

I am fairly new here ... When upgrading to 9.1 i got same issue,
but after this upgrade i got prompted for a very small patch named
"AdbeRdrUpd911_all_incr" (2.100 kB).

After installing this above mentioned patch i got a clean report :-)

Berny +++

Hi,Berny and welcome to a useful and friendly forum.Regarding the Adobe9.1 issue I have to confirm your point;I've received the prompt about it today and had to update it to 9.1.1; still, I'm wondering why Secunia waited till now(in my case) since I understand that the update was available for several days!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sec-berny RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 17th May, 2009 11:13
Last edited on 17th May, 2009 11:14
on 16th May, 2009 19:38, meintower wrote:
Hi,Berny and welcome to a useful and friendly forum.Regarding the Adobe9.1 issue I have to confirm your point;I've received the prompt about it today and had to update it to 9.1.1; still, I'm wondering why Secunia waited till now(in my case) since I understand that the update was available for several days!

Hello Meintower,

Thank you for your comments.
I think we fixed the vulnerability with a small Adobe_patch but
the full updated 9.1 version is available here

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/ap...

Best regards

Berny ++++

--
Vista Business SP1 & XP Home SP3 : IE 8 & Fx 3 - KAV 8.0.0.506 - Gsi 4.0 - SAS 4.26 Pro - Mbam (on_demand) - HostsMan 3.2.70 - Secunia PSI 1.0.0.4 - Sandboxie 3.36.04 (full version)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th May, 2009 16:32
on 17th May, 2009 11:13, sec-berny wrote:
Hello Meintower,

Thank you for your comments.
I think we fixed the vulnerability with a small Adobe_patch but
the full updated 9.1 version is available here

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/ap...

Best regards

Berny ++++

I've checked on the patched programmes list on my Secunia interface and Adobe Reader appears with version "detected" 9.1.1.179;I'll keep it -don't want to push my luck and try anything else!Thanks for your advice,anyway&have a good day!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sec-berny Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 17th May, 2009 18:57
Last edited on 17th May, 2009 18:58
on 17th May, 2009 16:32, meintower wrote:
version "detected" 9.1.1.179

Hello,

It looks like this release ref. does not match with the one mentioned on the Adobe security bulletin, but i think this is a minor issue.
BTW i still have got folder "reader 8.0" containing one folder and one file ... I assume i can delete it ???

Best regards

Berny ++

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Expert Contributor 19th May, 2009 15:57
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Berny ,
I too have a "Reader8.0" folder. Windows has taught me one thing - if it ai'nt broke , don't fix it.
Although Adobe & Java can be (very) lax in removing "old" files & folders , unless Secunia or some other reliable security updater tells me to do so , I tend to leave well alone ; unless I'm doing o complete/clean uninstall when I go after anything I can provoke to show it's head - beware touching the Registry if you ever wish to re-install a program !!. Beware anyway !!
Looking at the files in my 8.0 folder they don't seem to be a problem either way.
Take care,
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th May, 2009 09:39

I have the same problem here. I don't know what to do.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th May, 2009 09:40

I have the same problem here. I don't know what to do.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th May, 2009 09:55
This post tells U what to do - once U post the result further help will follow.

by wr on 19th Mar, 2009 16:40

User Since: 30th Mar, 2008

advanced interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wr

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
abaugh RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 26th May, 2009 08:29
User Since: 26th May 2009

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th May, 2009 16:12
Hi!
I tend to agree with Anthony Wells. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If Secunia PSI doesn't show a problem, don't look for trouble. On the other hand, if you run PSI, and it shows that Adobe has a problem, and you check the path that is insecure, 1st see if the Upgrade or Repair mode in Adobe's Help tab takes care of the problem. In many cases it will.
In my situation, nothing helped, so I had to Uninstall and Reinstall Adobe. Check the link below for the steps I had to take, to fix the problem.
http://secunia.com/community/forum/userthreads/936...
I think you'll find, between the 3 fixes (Upgrade, Repair or Re-installation), you should be able to fix the Adobe problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
1950 RE: Reinstalling and Updating Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 28th May, 2009 18:48
User Since: 28th May 2009
on 19th Mar, 2009 16:40, wr wrote:
advanced interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wr

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer