Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Acrobat 8.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
/usr/local/dick Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 25th Mar, 2009 16:23
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 25th Mar, 2009 16:24

Hi guys

I've Adobe Design Premium CS3 installed here, which comes with Acrobat Professional 8. This app used to be 8.1.3 but this week I received an update for it, which I ran. The file in question is "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"

File meta info (properties -> Version -> File version) says 8.1.0.137
File meta info (properties -> Version "Other version information"-> File version) says 8.1.0.2007051100
Running the application and choosing Help -> About Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional says 8.1.4
Secunia PSI (1.0.0.4) says 8.1.3.187

Secunia PSI says it's insecure, however there are no updates for it anymore...

I am a bit confused as to what version I actually have ;-)

--
If it works, it works

LeDriver RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 25th Mar, 2009 16:40
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Nov 2008
Hi.

Exhibition times under system control--> Software after! Property 8.1.4 and Secunia says always still it is uncertain!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
srogg RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 26th Mar, 2009 15:16
User Since: 5th Mar 2009
Last edited on 26th Mar, 2009 15:24
I also updated to Acrobat Professional 8.1.4. And now this is indeed the ONLY version that shows up in Add or Remove Programs. Running Acrobat and checking the version in Help reports 8.1.4 as expected. The source file found by Secuna PSI is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat. However, properties of Acrobat.exe in this folder shows version 8.1.0.137. Secuna PSI reports ver. 8.1.3.187. Will the real Acrobat please stand up!

What to do?

on 25th Mar, 2009 16:23, /usr/local/dick wrote:
Hi guys

I've Adobe Design Premium CS3 installed here, which comes with Acrobat Professional 8. This app used to be 8.1.3 but this week I received an update for it, which I ran. The file in question is "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"

File meta info (properties -> Version -> File version) says 8.1.0.137
File meta info (properties -> Version "Other version information"-> File version) says 8.1.0.2007051100
Running the application and choosing Help -> About Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional says 8.1.4
Secunia PSI (1.0.0.4) says 8.1.3.187

Secunia PSI says it's insecure, however there are no updates for it anymore...

I am a bit confused as to what version I actually have ;-)

Was this reply relevant?
+0
jpit.nl RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 26th Mar, 2009 21:01
User Since: 27th Jan 2009
Last edited on 26th Mar, 2009 21:03
on 26th Mar, 2009 15:16, srogg wrote:
Will the real Acrobat please stand up!

Same here... Adobe and updates... sigh.

I'll be putting this program (Acrobat) on the ignore list of PSI, until the next Adobe update.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
motseln RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 26th Mar, 2009 21:33
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
The acrobat.dll shows the version as 8.1.4 and is most likely what updated the registry to show it in the add remove programs listing. It appears that PSI is examining the acrobat.exe file which retains the old version number after the update.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pklugherz RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 27th Mar, 2009 00:22
User Since: 12th May 2008
on 26th Mar, 2009 21:33, motseln wrote:
The acrobat.dll shows the version as 8.1.4 and is most likely what updated the registry to show it in the add remove programs listing. It appears that PSI is examining the acrobat.exe file which retains the old version number after the update.

I posted a similar comment regarding Acrobat yesterday in thread titled Adobe Reader 8.1.4. Secunia can't be looking at the acrobat.exe file because that version is 8.1.0.137 and Secunia is reporting the version as 8.1.3.187. The latter is, in fact, the version number for Acrodist.exe and Acrotray.exe, even after the update to 8.1.4. My guess is that Secunia may be looking at the wrong file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
highstream RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 27th Mar, 2009 06:25
Score: 6
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
I updated Acrobat.exe on March 18 when the 8.1.4 update came out, and PSI 1.0.4 has recognized it as fine until just now, nine days later. Re-updated and PSI still doesn't recognize it. At the same time, the VLC player showed once again as insecure, and then scanned secure. False positives on Acrobat and VLC are the bane of PSI, showing up every week or two.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jlf7156 RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 29th Mar, 2009 18:00
User Since: 29th Nov 2008
DITTO!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kurosh RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 30th Mar, 2009 19:59
Score: 3
User Since: 30th Mar 2009
Hi All,

This is a known issue:

(unknown source)
Hi
Thank you for contacting Secunia Support

We are aware of the problem, and we will fix it shortly.

The problem is the updated file does not include the .exe file on which we normally use to detect the file version.

--
Kind regards,

Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maeeastr1 RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 31st Mar, 2009 20:45
User Since: 26th Feb 2008
Looking at the Forum is really helpful. I had a message after my PSI scan ran last night saying my Adobe Acrobat 8.1.3.187 was insecure. I updated to 8.1.4 but PSI is still recognizing my previous version as insecure and not recognizing my update to 8.1.4. My Adobe "help" and "version" says 8.1.4. Thanks for the response and I will wait for Secunia PSI to correct the problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bobvance RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 13:02
User Since: 12th Dec 2008
Adobe's 8.1.4 update does not change the AcroRd32.exe file.
It only updates AcroRd32.dll , so PSI is confused.

bv
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 17:10
on 3rd Apr, 2009 13:02, bobvance wrote:
Adobe's 8.1.4 update does not change the AcroRd32.exe file.
It only updates AcroRd32.dll , so PSI is confused.

bv

Yes, that's right... PSI was looking at the wrong file(s), but that's been corrected now (as of yesterday). See other similar threads for the posting from Secunia about it.

Best Wishes,
Kurosh
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 17:52
Well, I updated to 1.0.0.4 this morning and it is still confused.

bv
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 18:42
on 3rd Apr, 2009 17:52, bobvance wrote:
Well, I updated to 1.0.0.4 this morning and it is still confused.

bv

Several people have reported that it's working correctly now (as it is for me as well). Try rebooting and verifying there are no more Adobe updates, and running a full scan of PSI again. Sounds like either your Adobe is not completely up to date, or PSI doesn't have the latest scanning rules.

See: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Best Wishes,
Kurosh
Was this reply relevant?
+0
genegold99 RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 19:26
Score: 5
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
on 3rd Apr, 2009 18:42, Kurosh wrote:
Several people have reported that it's working correctly now (as it is for me as well). Try rebooting and verifying there are no more Adobe updates, and running a full scan of PSI again. Sounds like either your Adobe is not completely up to date, or PSI doesn't have the latest scanning rules.
See: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Best Wishes,
Kurosh

bobvance, Contrary to this suggestion, 1.0.0.4 is the latest, and PSI's FAQ (38) clearly states that updated rules are applied automatically from (and silently) from the PSI site when you're connected to the internet. Make sure Enable Program Monitoring is checked under the Settings tab, though I think it is by default. Rebooting is necessary only if Adobe requires it, and I don't recall that it did. If you've got 8.1.4, then you're up to date. However, with PSI open, which file is PSI claiming is insecure? Do you have a backup drive? Make sure it's not pointing to that, which is easy to miss (I've done that). There is NO reason to fun a full scan. The issue is one application and rescanning that application from the icon on the Insecure screen is all that's needed. The only other possible thing I can think of is that you didn't have 8.1.3 before 8.1.4, which was necessary (not sure if 8.1.2, etc. before that were also needed in order). Post if you have further info to troubleshoot.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 19:45
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2009 19:50
on 3rd Apr, 2009 19:26, genegold99 wrote:
bobvance, Contrary to this suggestion, 1.0.0.4 is the latest, and PSI's FAQ (38) clearly states that updated rules are applied automatically from (and silently) from the PSI site when you're connected to the internet. Make sure Enable Program Monitoring is checked under the Settings tab, though I think it is by default. Rebooting is necessary only if Adobe requires it, and I don't recall that it did. If you've got 8.1.4, then you're up to date. However, with PSI open, which file is PSI claiming is insecure? Do you have a backup drive? Make sure it's not pointing to that, which is easy to miss (I've done that). There is NO reason to fun a full scan. The issue is one application and rescanning that application from the icon on the Insecure screen is all that's needed. The only other possible thing I can think of is that you didn't have 8.1.3 before 8.1.4, which was necessary (not sure if 8.1.2, etc. before that were also needed in order). Post if you have further info to troubleshoot.

genegold99:

I can see you are in a mode to try to prove that I am not able to assist users. That's unfortunate, and counter-productive for users.

Let's look at what you're saying:

"PSI's FAQ (38) clearly states that updated rules are applied automatically from (and silently) from the PSI site when you're connected to the internet."

This is incorrect. FAQ 38 does not state "updated rules are applied automatically from (and silently) from the PSI site when you're connected to the internet." -- please quote your source. Rather, the FAQ mentions you NEED an Internet connection for PSI to work properly.

FAQ 23 states:

(unknown source)
I've already updated my software version, but the Secunia PSI is still reporting my software as insecure. What should I do?

There is a slight delay between the time you update your software and the time that your Secunia PSI installation checks the Secunia database for updated scanning rules. If you would like to update the scanning results immediately after updating your system, scan your entire computer rather than just a particular software.

You state: "Rebooting is necessary only if Adobe requires it, and I don't recall that it did."

Rebooting often fixes issues which temporary glitches present. There's no harm in being sure it's not a temporary glitch.

You state: "There is NO reason to fun a full scan. The issue is one application and rescanning that application from the icon on the Insecure screen is all that's needed."

This is incorrect. See above FAQ 23 quote. Scanning a single application will use the currently installed PSI scanning rules, which in this case, may be outdated. The ONLY way to fix this is a full scan (manual or scheduled).

Best Wishes,
Kurosh
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 20:38
on 3rd Apr, 2009 19:45, Kurosh wrote:
genegold99:

I can see you are in a mode to try to prove that I am not able to assist users. That's unfortunate, and counter-productive for users.

Let's look at what you're saying:

"PSI's FAQ (38) clearly states that updated rules are applied automatically from (and silently) from the PSI site when you're connected to the internet."

This is incorrect. FAQ 38 does not state "updated rules are applied automatically from (and silently) from the PSI site when you're connected to the internet." -- please quote your source. Rather, the FAQ mentions you NEED an Internet connection for PSI to work properly.

FAQ 23 states:

(unknown source)
I've already updated my software version, but the Secunia PSI is still reporting my software as insecure. What should I do?

There is a slight delay between the time you update your software and the time that your Secunia PSI installation checks the Secunia database for updated scanning rules. If you would like to update the scanning results immediately after updating your system, scan your entire computer rather than just a particular software.

You state: "Rebooting is necessary only if Adobe requires it, and I don't recall that it did."

Rebooting often fixes issues which temporary glitches present. There's no harm in being sure it's not a temporary glitch.

You state: "There is NO reason to fun a full scan. The issue is one application and rescanning that application from the icon on the Insecure screen is all that's needed."

This is incorrect. See above FAQ 23 quote. Scanning a single application will use the currently installed PSI scanning rules, which in this case, may be outdated. The ONLY way to fix this is a full scan (manual or scheduled).

Best Wishes,
Kurosh

"38 clearly implies" would have been more correct. 38 states that, "To check which software are vulnerable and which ones aren't, it uploads the information from your computer to the Secunia server." That's how PSI works; there is no 'update' button, but Secunia applies them automatically and silently, without online notice. The only thing the user receives is a separate email from Secunia letting them know that's occurred, if they've signed up for that.

There appears to have been more than a "slight delay" between PSI's rules update and bobvance's experience. With the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" settings choice checked, which I think is default, PSI is presumably brought up to date with each computer start up. If bobvance hadn't restarted his computer since PSI made the change, that would have been a good reason to do so. Btw, Secunia wrote me that the rules accessed through PSI are more up to date than the scanner at their website.

While normally a full PSI scan can't hurt, that's not always entirely the case where PSI is reporting false positives, as I've reported in other threads and just proved again by running a full scan.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 21:06
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2009 21:07
on 3rd Apr, 2009 20:38, genegold99 wrote:
"38 clearly implies" would have been more correct. 38 states that, "To check which software are vulnerable and which ones aren't, it uploads the information from your computer to the Secunia server." That's how PSI works; there is no 'update' button, but Secunia applies them automatically and silently, without online notice. The only thing the user receives is a separate email from Secunia letting them know that's occurred, if they've signed up for that.

I don't know exactly how PSI works, and unless you have information that is more detailed than the FAQ, I'm not sure how you are certain either. What I do know is that it seems to use "scanning rules" to determine which software is vulnerable. As FAQ 23 states, there is a "slight delay" between scanning rule updates on your PC. What that delay is, I'm not sure. However, what I do know from my experience is that after Secunia posted they had updated the rules for Adobe Acrobat 8.x, my PSI was still showing it as "insecure". I ran a full scan, and it corrected itself. That would imply the "slight delay" is longer than you might expect. Again, without understanding more detail about what PSI is doing, I can't say for sure. All I know is a full scan did correct my issue. Also, see: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/164...

There appears to have been more than a "slight delay" between PSI's rules update and bobvance's experience. With the "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" settings choice checked, which I think is default, PSI is presumably brought up to date with each computer start up. If bobvance hadn't restarted his computer since PSI made the change, that would have been a good reason to do so. Btw, Secunia wrote me that the rules accessed through PSI are more up to date than the scanner at their website.

What seems to be clear is that PSI has locally installed scanning rules, and they are updated periodically (automatically and/or manually). How often that update happens is not clear. Starting on boot simply means it's monitoring your installed programs, but doesn't suggest that is when the rules are updated.

There are lots of good reasons to restart a PC ... if you look through numerous threads on this and other forums, temporary files, previous program installations, etc. are not cleared until a reboot happens.

It would be good to know how often the rules are updated (by Secunia), and how often PSI gets those updates. PSI is definitely a better choice than the OSI, simply because it scans a lot more programs. The FAQ suggests that Secunia updates the rules when vendors release patches -- how soon after is not clear. Also, presumably they update them when we report bugs (such as this one).

While normally a full PSI scan can't hurt, that's not always entirely the case where PSI is reporting false positives, as I've reported in other threads and just proved again by running a full scan.

This issue is entirely different; the problem I was addressing above is that Adobe Acrobat 8.1.4 was not being detected as "patched", whereas what you're having issues with is other programs having "false positives", even though Adobe Acrobat 8.1.4 is now showing as "patched" for you. I'm not sure there is a co-relation between the two issues (other than they may have updated other scanning rules as well, which broke something) -- however, that's where contacting them directly (as the FAQ suggests, after exhausting possible causes such as those other progams now being insecure due to a vulnerability found) is the right way to go. Of course, posting your findings here will help others, especially if Secunia advises you what the problem is.

Best Wishes,
Kurosh
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 21:18
Working now:

I finally noticed that PSI was not updating its rules ("... network connectivity ...") when starting up (may have been some registry entry or something).

I un-installed it and re-installed 1.0.0.4.

Then I did a re-scan of the acrobat program.

bv
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 21:18
If you, Kurosh, are not manually updating the PSI rules, and I know of no way to do that via the progam or online, then it's being done automatically, outside of your control. Actually, as I pointed out to you in another thread, from late November until about two days ago, PSI had been falsely identifying the then current version 8 of Acrobat.exe (8.1.3), as insecure, i.e., long before 8.1.4 appeared. This was well documented by a number of users. Hopefully, that's now fixed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 21:28
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2009 21:33
bobvance:

Great to hear it's fixed.

genegold99:

There is a way to manually update the rules -- run a Full Scan. This is what I was trying to point out with FAQ 23. Yes, I agree, it is also automatically updating them -- how often, through what mechanism, I'm not sure. No doubt if they get updated through a manual Full Scan, they will also update through a scheduled Full Scan (which is automatic). Other than that, I don't know how often it does this. You haven't provided any source information that clearly says this either.

I'm not saying PSI does not have other issues with detections, and possibly even Adobe Acrobat 8.x detections in the future. What I am saying is that it's working for 8.x now, and I'm trying to assist users towards that end.

As an aside, you will note that bobvance's issue was with his scanning rules not being updated -- that was one of the possibilities I mentioned.

Best Wishes,
Kurosh

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Apr, 2009 14:19
I should mention that while it (PSI 1.0.0.4) was in the state wherein it would not update its rules,
**none** of the following would make it do it:

kill/re-launch (no barber pole, verifying network connectivity)
reboot (no barber pole, verifying network connectivity)
full rescan (even though it listed that it did it)

After I un-installed / re-installed ,
it did the barber pole at launch (and on each kill/re-launch).

It still showed Adobe Reader as insecure,
but a simple re-scan of Adobe Reader fixed it.

bv
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Apr, 2009 18:28
Last edited on 4th Apr, 2009 18:33
on 4th Apr, 2009 14:19, bobvance wrote:
I should mention that while it (PSI 1.0.0.4) was in the state wherein it would not update its rules,
**none** of the following would make it do it:

kill/re-launch (no barber pole, verifying network connectivity)
reboot (no barber pole, verifying network connectivity)

After I un-installed / re-installed ,
it did the barber pole at launch (and on each kill/re-launch).

It still showed Adobe Reader as insecure,
but a simple re-scan of Adobe Reader fixed it.

bv

Thanks bv, that's helpful information. Yes, I didn't mean to imply that I gave you the solution -- simply that I pointed you in the right direction (i.e. scanning rules not being updated). Sometimes, as you rightly figured out, you have to re-install a faulty installation (be it PSI or any other program).

I'm not sure what "barber pole" you're referring to? I'm fairly new to PSI, so I'm not that familiar with these terms. Is this when the scanning rules are updated? One thing that would be helpful for us all to know is how often PSI checks for new scanning rules. A full scan wasn't necessary in your case, so obviously the rules were updated, presumably with this "barber pole" you're talking about.

Also, it would be helpful to know in what cases an individual application needs to be rescanned? I would have assumed that, if PSI downloads new scanning rules, wouldn't it automatically re-scan apps that are listed as "insecure"?

Best Wishes,
Kurosh
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Apr, 2009 18:49
Last edited on 4th Apr, 2009 18:50
on 4th Apr, 2009 14:19, bobvance wrote:

bv

This part here concerns me... perhaps you should send Secunia Support a report on your experience, since I would have expected that if PSI was not updating its scanning rules properly, it should not have given a "green check" to this step (which I presume is Step 2, "Downloading search rules from Secunia (https)"). Having done screenshots of your experience would have been helpful, but even simply reporting this did happen might make them aware of an issue that needs to be checked.

Best Wishes,
Kurosh
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ikthius RE: Acrobat.exe - what is the REAL version
Member 13th Jul, 2009 20:49
User Since: 5th Jul 2009
After downloading the updates, rebooting for Adobe to update, re-scanned with PSI, it still showed insecure....

However, I rescanned the program, then it seen it was updated and removed the insecure label.

hope this may help some
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jul, 2009 14:48
Yes.
Later I had a couple of occasions, not sure why, that Acrobat reader showed up and then a program rescan "fixed" it.
I should have updated this thread, but frankly forgot about it.
I have noticed, since, that rescanning a program has often updated it correctly, when what appeared to be a full rescan did not!!

So, now, if I see one show up unexpectedly, the first thing that I do is the prog rescan, just to be sure.

bv
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jul, 2009 14:52
Well, literally immediately after posting the above, I had MS FrontPage 2000 show up as insecure after a reboot.
I did a prog rescan and it went away.
Hmmm.
So, now I'm nervous as to which is correct.
Oh, well.

bv
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+