Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft Windows XP Professional detected as security risk

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
irishmaiden Microsoft Windows XP Professional detected as security risk
Member 15th Apr, 2009 06:01
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Mar, 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi I have Windows XP Pro on my laptop, and desktop, did scan with Secunia PSI and it says that it's insecure/end of life and expose me to a security threat. I only have this on my laptop, not desktop
Now I regularly update both laptop and desktop mainly around same time.
I clicked on the 'solution' button, and it took me to Windows Update, but it had no updates in either the Express or custom. So what was the solution??
Is my Operating system at end of life!!!!!

--
irishmaiden

GoneToPlaid RE: Microsoft Windows XP Professional detected as security risk
Member 15th Apr, 2009 22:09
Score: 5
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
Nope. XP is not at end-of-life. It may be that you have hidden specific updates. You should allow Windows Update to show updates which you have previously hidden.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Microsoft Windows XP Professional detected as security risk
Contributor 15th Apr, 2009 22:34
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
@ irishmaiden or it could be detected on a backup drive/partition or installation folder. Using PSI in the Advance mode place cursor over program & installation will be shown.

wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
irishmaiden RE: Microsoft Windows XP Professional detected as security risk
Member 16th Apr, 2009 18:34
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
Thanks, GoneToPlaid, I did as you told me, but it said I had no hidden updates.

Thanks WR, I was afraid to use the Advanced mode, so thanks for telling me to do it as I wouldn't have done it otherwise.
I found it was Microsoft Windows XP SERVICE PACK 3, but I have that installed

So not sure what to do now.

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tarq57 RE: Microsoft Windows XP Professional detected as security risk
Member 17th Apr, 2009 00:19
Score: 16
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
For some reason it is possible the SP hasn't been installed correctly.
What security applications are you using?

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Apr, 2009 00:48
Last edited on 17th Apr, 2009 00:50
I have AVG 8.5 FREE and Zone Alarm free 8.0.298.000
Spybot, Search &Destroy 1.6.2

Service Pack 3 was installed ages ago, but have only just this week got the message on Secunia PSI

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Apr, 2009 01:20
Try selecting "re-scan application". I think it unlikely it is improperly installed if everything has worked OK since the original install.

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Apr, 2009 15:30
I did rescan and it still comes up, now I'm wondering if I read the scan wrong!!
I looked at the result on the advanced mode, (pity can't copy and paste screen print,)and it says:-
INSECURE PROGRAMS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
VERSION DETECTED: Service Pack 3
THREAT: Category 2 Security Threat

Underneath it says: This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Professional is unsecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats

I had to have my Windows XP Professional OP re-installed in July/August 2008. Have had no problems since.
The Secunia scan does not give my a path to find it, it says N/A in that part.

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Apr, 2009 23:40
Try downloading the service pack and save it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...
Then, go to 'add/remove programs" via the control panel, and uninstall SP3. This might take a few minutes. Reboot. A second reboot might be necessary, in my experience, and you'll know by weird PC behaviour if that's the case.
Install the service pack from the saved location. Reboot. (2nd reboot may be required, again.) That will take a minute or 5.
Go to Microsoft update, and check fro updates. Scan again with Secunia.

That's what I'd try. It is a 316Mb download. Worth hanging on to, for any future re-install.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Apr, 2009 12:00
Last edited on 18th Apr, 2009 12:04
I tried to download this last night, but Internet connection wasn't great, and stopped downloading so thought I'd try today, but now Secunia PSI, on my computer is just coming up as blank white page, and when I hover over icon on task bar just says Secunia PSI.
Could there be problem with that?
Should I wait till I sort Secunia PSI out first, before carrying out your instructions in previous post?

Sorry!!!!! Ok now, found the Reload Interface by right-clicking on task-bar icon.
Will now try to download.
Thanks for you info Tarq57.

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Apr, 2009 12:18
Hi again. Yep, see how it goes. Sometimes the PSI does stall a bit on opening, but you've found how to fix that.
I wonder also if you might have some malware on your system that's causing it to play up a bit. I can recommend an alternative free demand scanner to help with that. In fact two; Superantispyware, and/or MBAM. Both a bit like Spybot, but more modern technology, considered very effective.
But lets try the SP reinstall first. You might want to try that with all security apps disabled. (be disconnected from the net for that.)
-de-immunize Spybot, if applicable.
-exit/disable avg.
-turn ZA off.
Uninstall the SP. Reboot. (as above etc etc) Once the new SP is installed, and everything appears well with the world, re-enable your security, reconnect to the net, go to MS update, let it do its thing (i applicable) then run a full scan with PSI again.
Hope it works. Pumpkin hour here, I'm off to bed.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Apr, 2009 19:41
Hi Tarq57,
Sorry to have kept you up!!!!
Also sorry as have another problem or 2.
Firstly, I can not find a way to disable AVG 8.5
Secondly, There is no 'change' or 'Remove' button for Windows XP Service Pack 3 in the 'Add / Remove' program [via control panel of course.]
Does that mean it's not installed properly.
I have downloaded the Service pack took 6 hours, [my Internet is 'Line of Sight' so not exactly great speed, but better than dial-up!!] saved it in my 'Downloads folder' can I put this on a usb memory stick for future use, or will it not work like that?
Thank you once again for your help and your prompt replies, that's nice in this day and age.

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 03:24
Hi, that almost certainly means it is not installed correctly. Bizarre. Possibly the AV (or ZA) got in the way, it's a bit hard to tell.
Can you have a look in windows explorer, please? You'll have to alter the folder options to show hidden and system files. Look for this folder: C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst, open it, and there should be a number of files in there, including one called "service pack 3.asms.
With it there should also be a "spuninst.exe".
You might need to actually uninstall your AV and FW for this - I've seen something like this before with a Norton user - and if you do, go offline, provided you ahve the installer files saved, so as to get your security up[ and running again before going back online.
Run the "spuninst.exe". Make sure it is the one that pertains to SP3, by checking the reference of the other file mentioned. (The whole folder should be about 320Mb.)
If it runs, good. Continue with the reoot/re-install steps as indicated earlier.
If it doesn't run, I may be out of ideas. Depends. Good luck.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 04:15
Last edited on 19th Apr, 2009 04:26
Hi Tarq57,
I looked in the folder as you asked, and I have 3 folders, with those letters so take it it's the 3 service packs, I can not find anything to say it's service pack 3 though, looked on my desktop and that's the same.
The third folder has $NtServicePackUninstallNLSDownlevelMapping$
size 573KB 4 FILES 1 FOLDER fOLDER: spuninst

others are: $NtServicePackUninstallIDMitigationAPIs$ this is 2nd folder

1st folder is obviously first service pack... $NtServicePackUninstall$

Would you be able to tell me if the one I mentioned first is correct one.
Thanks .... sorry to be such a pain.
Sorry sorry just found it, checked dates on desktop ones, and then I opened one on laptop and it's the one I thought was first service pack.
So I'll give this a try as soon as I can. It's 3.15 in the morning and I have to work later today. Thank you so much for you help and patience.

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 11:23
No problem. Before you run the uninstaller, be sure that there is an indication (via the other files in this folder) that it really is the SP3 uninstaller, rather than some other, though I think you've probably got the correct one.
(If it ain't, you can always format and reinstall ;))

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 11:36
Last edited on 19th Apr, 2009 11:37
Lots of hugs and kisses coming your way from Ireland!!!!
It was a success, although little probs as it took my Internet Explorer back to 6 when I had 8 installed, lucky for me I hadn't deleted it so was able to re-install it and eventually got there. My main bug was Adobe Flash player, seems I had a version hidden somewhere, but eventually saw that there was a link on Secunia scan for me to download to my desktop, then it uninstalled the old version leaving latest one there.
So thanks to you I'm back on the mend again.
I did mean to tell you that I'd downloaded SuperAntispyware on to my laptop and desktop PC, and scanned both and nothing was found, I'd done this before I did any of the uninstalling or re-installing.
I can not thank you enough. You can have your life back now!!
Cathy

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 11:43
So the procedure worked?
Dang!!! Cool!!
Seriously, though, thanks for posting the feedback.
Hugs and kisses from an Irish maiden are always more than welcome!
Glad it's all on the mend; have little idea what was wrong, but it was quite possibly the AV or FW that crippled or somehow prevented part of the original SP3 installation. (FWIW I did not have this problem using AvastD)). Avira also has a good rep, should you ever get sick of AVG. But if you're happy with it, keep.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 12:29
It's an oldish Irishmaiden!!!
I have Avast on my desktop PC, as AVG p**** me off when I was trying to install something on that, I may put it on this but don't want to rock the boat again just yet.
Would like something other than Zone Alarm, but has to be free, not very wealthy! I tried Comodo, but it drove me daft with pop-ups constantly.
Still happy for now THANKS TO YOU.
Actually I said it was Adobe flash player, but the scan said Macromedia Flash Player 6 x

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 12:58
The flash player should be straightforward to update, but just ask (perhaps in a new thread) if there are problems.
Avast has hardly ever given me a problem, and never a major problem. (Plus no malware.)
You could try PCTools firewall plus, which seems to be working well here, and gives many less popups (after the initial "busy" learning period) than Comodo appears to. I've heard Online Armour is pretty solid, too.
I'm approaching the horizon of oldish, meself.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 13:19
I downloaded the link for that, so that it could be deleted as that was an old one and was causing problem with the newer download. But it sorted it.
I had PC TOOLS Spydoctor, and it made my laptop nearly come to a halt.
So was reluctant to try their stuff.
Still never mind might find something yet.
I find ATF Cleaner great for getting rid of history and stuff from browsers, but think it's only for Windows XP.
Also use Simple File Shredder, it's easy to use, and overwrites things about 7 times, I only shred files I make myself e.g. letters, notes, photos etc.
Well must go now, I'm changing this forum now.
Maybe we'll 'meet' again. All the best

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability