xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE (1.0.0.5)

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
M.Hansen NEW PSI BETA RELEASE (1.0.0.5)
Secunia Official 28th May, 2009 10:13
Ranking: 188
User Since: 26th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 9th Jun, 2009 16:04

Hi

It's my pleasure to announce that PSI 1.0.0.5 BETA is now available for download at:
http://secunia.com/PSISetupBeta.exe

This new release will have some completely new features!

New features:
*Secure Browsing - Is your browser(s) secure to use?
*PSI Worldmap - Compare statistics from PSI users all over the world

In addition, the PSI has been translated to Dutch and will have faster scan time and better memory handling.

The full changelog can always be read at:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

We would like you to try out this PSI BETA and give us feedback, by posting your opinion to the new PSI BETA category here at the forum.

Stay Secure

--
Kind regards,
Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

cosmosenfold RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 28th May, 2009 19:10
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
I'd be happy to try this beta release but it won't install. I keep getting a error message that the installer has detected an earlier version that it can't uninstall. Tells me to manually do it. It is not located in program list on windows add/delete in control panel. I did delete the folder by going to C: program files. Also used find and deleted all Secunia files.
Does anyone have any idea what i can do next.
Thanks Cos
Was this reply relevant?
+0
scheuchr RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 28th May, 2009 19:15
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
Last edited on 28th May, 2009 19:17
The secure browsing feature is a welcome addition to this terrific tool.

The browsers currently installed on my machine are IE, Firefox, and Opera. The secured browser tab shows multiple programs listed for all browsers, i.e. Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x (9 entries) and WebEx Download Module ActiveX Control 2.x (4 entries). Switching over to the Patched tab there are 9 entries for Java and 4 for Webex but the version numbers are the identical for the individual programs.

Why multiple entries?

Oddly, Adobe Flsah Player reports only the ActiveX Control on the secured browsing tab but not the Plug-in entries although both show on the Patched tab.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
millwood RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 28th May, 2009 20:07
Score: 2
User Since: 14th May 2008
I'm confused about the secure browsing tab.

I have IE7, Firefox 3.5pre (Shiretoko) and Google Chrome, but only IE7 shows up in the report.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 28th May, 2009 20:25
Working great on my Vista Home Premium system.
Now to fire up the XP Pro system.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 28th May, 2009 20:38
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 28th May, 2009 20:45
@ cosmosenfold
What browser are using. Make sure you have exited the Secunia program before trying to install the new one. i.e. exit 1.0.0.4 and close then install 1.0.0.5 beta from your down load file.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th May, 2009 21:11
on 28th May, 2009 19:10, cosmosenfold wrote:
I'd be happy to try this beta release but it won't install. I keep getting a error message that the installer has detected an earlier version that it can't uninstall. Tells me to manually do it. It is not located in program list on windows add/delete in control panel. I did delete the folder by going to C: program files. Also used find and deleted all Secunia files.
Thanks Cos

Welcome to the world of Microtrash installer screwups.

There is an installer cleanup tool you can download from Microtrash that will probably not help, but its a thing to try.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Poorboy42 RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 28th May, 2009 22:01
User Since: 25th Apr 2009
System Score: 93%
I have downloaded the beta release and am confused by the following. It shows the following on the Overview Tab:Congratulations no programs are marked as Insecure or End of Life. Now when I look at the NEW Secure Browsing Tab it shows the following: Under the Internet Explorer 7x section that it is not secure and has 3 critical attack vectors IE: Apple Quicktime 7.x Internet Explorer 7.x and Realplayer 11.x and all 3 of these show "Insecure but no vendor solution" On Fire FOX It shows the same for Quicktime and Realplayer. It shows that I have all the Latest Patches Installed for these programs,However the Vendor has yet to fix one or more known security issues with these programs.

I have 2 questions. Why does it show under the Overview Tab:Congratulations no programs are marked as Insecure or End of Life if the Safe Browsing Tab shows all the above security issues ?
Is it safe to use either of these Browsers without removing the Quicktime and Realplayer Programs from my PC?

--
David
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bbriley42 RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 29th May, 2009 02:57
User Since: 29th May 2009
I have downloaded the beta twice. In each case when trying to install it, I got an error message about the file being incomplete or damaged (I don't recall the exact message). I have Win XP SP3.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th May, 2009 02:59
on 29th May, 2009 02:57, bbriley42 wrote:
I have downloaded the beta twice. In each case when trying to install it, I got an error message about the file being incomplete or damaged (I don't recall the exact message). I have Win XP SP3.

I just ran the second install program a second time - it said the installer failed the integrity check.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bsummers RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 29th May, 2009 05:31
User Since: 30th Jan 2009
on 28th May, 2009 19:10, cosmosenfold wrote:
Thanks Cos

Was this reply relevant?
+0
William Claiborne RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 29th May, 2009 05:42
System Score: 100%

Well, frankly I'm underwhelmed. You list "serious" vulnerability to Firefox 3.0.10 with no possible vendor solution for two plug-ins (Winamp 5.x and Apple Quicktime 2.x) and another plugin vulnerability to Microsoft I.E. 8.x.
Then, if I want to want to view the browser vulnerability stats that you are touting as a feature in the Beta version you force me to view it in the extremely vulnerable Internet Explorer that you have warned me about in dire terms.
Sounds like a Catch 22 to me. And what's the point of telling me Winamp and Quicktime and IE are dangerous if I can't do anything about it. It's pointless. I can't disable (or even uninstall) IE, and besides I need it to use occasionally for updating Microsoft programs and apps. I don't want to uninstall Quicktime because many sites with video clips need it to function, and I use Winamp for Internet radio listening.

I'd be better off not knowing about these plugin vulnerabilities with "no vendor solution." I'm thinking of going back to the earlier version of Secunia PSI, which shows 152 programs that are 100 per cent secure.
By the way, your browser vulnerability report is duplicated for IE and Firefox, which I assume is because PSI is still scanning my backup, external F-drive despite the fact that I created an Ignore Rule for my F:/ Drive.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cosmosenfold RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 29th May, 2009 07:30
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
tried to reinstall the beta again. Its secunia installer that is giving me the error message abouat not being able to uninstal because of old versions. Searched for both secunia and PSI. all to no avail . guess i'll just do without . Thanks everyone

Cos
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th May, 2009 10:44
Last edited on 29th May, 2009 10:45 Hi.
As I Know thre is somthing left from the old Secunia installation.
Go Googling and search for Wise Registery Cleaner .
It's FREE .Uninstall Secunia the offical way.
Execute Wise Registery Cleaner. Reboot,then install PSI.

Good Luck.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
WebAppArchitect RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 29th May, 2009 14:01
User Since: 28th Dec 2008
I ran into this problem also. I have Win Vista Ultimate. The workaround I used was to right click the download link and 'Open' or run the program right away instead of 'Save' saving the program to your hard drive. Hope that helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Rockslaxman RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 29th May, 2009 15:09
User Since: 28th May 2009
on 28th May, 2009 10:13, M.Hansen wrote:
Hi

It's my pleasure to announce that PSI 1.0.0.5 BETA is now available for download at:

New features:

In addition, the PSI has been translated to Dutch and will have faster scan time and better memory handling.

We would like you to try out this PSI BETA and give us feedback, by posting your opinion to the new PSI BETA category here at the forum.

Stay Secure

--
Kind regards,
Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI

Was this reply relevant?
+0
WMACK RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 29th May, 2009 19:13
User Since: 20th Nov 2008
just tried beta release and think it's great! I now only show IE8 as unsecured. Thanks for such a great tool. I tell all who will listen about this great tool. WMACK

--
HP Pavilion E win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th May, 2009 19:34
on 29th May, 2009 07:30, cosmosenfold wrote:
tried to reinstall the beta again. Its secunia installer that is giving me the error message abouat not being able to uninstal because of old versions. Searched for both secunia and PSI. all to no avail . guess i'll just do without . Thanks everyone

Cos

In my case, uninstalling the last version of Secunia didn't solve anything. The new version has a faulty installer (on my system - Win XP SP 3).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th May, 2009 19:38
on 29th May, 2009 19:34, bbriley42 wrote:
In my case, uninstalling the last version of Secunia didn't solve anything. The new version has a faulty installer (on my system - Win XP SP 3).

I've seen this before. Download again (it took me two tries). If that fails, clear your browser cache and try again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th May, 2009 19:59
on 29th May, 2009 19:38, millwood wrote:
I've seen this before. Download again (it took me two tries). If that fails, clear your browser cache and try again.

I just downloaded the beta. Before installing it, I cleared my MSIE cache. Then I ran the beta install program. Again, it said it failed the installation integrity check. Sorry to give you more news like that.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th May, 2009 20:08
Last edited on 29th May, 2009 20:09
on 29th May, 2009 19:59, bbriley42 wrote:
I just downloaded the beta. Before installing it, I cleared my MSIE cache. Then I ran the beta install program. Again, it said it failed the installation integrity check. Sorry to give you more news like that.

This idea is to clear the cache BEFORE you download. The download is (I think) corrupt.

D:\downloads\NAV>md5sum PSISetupBeta.exe
790b36be788029629aba49129f7d0199 *PSISetupBeta.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Daerdor RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 29th May, 2009 21:30
User Since: 5th Jan 2008
Installed without issues, seems to be working fine so far.

Small cosmetic item: For firefox I get the following string:

"Mozilla Firefox 3.x (Assessment: Secure for browsing"

A bracket is missing behind "browsing".
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th May, 2009 23:16
on 29th May, 2009 20:08, millwood wrote:
This idea is to clear the cache BEFORE you download. The download is (I think) corrupt.

D:\downloads\NAV>md5sum PSISetupBeta.exe
790b36be788029629aba49129f7d0199 *PSISetupBeta.exe

This next time (a few minutes ago) I cleared the cache first, then ddid the download and tried the install. The error window (NSIS error) says "Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media.....More information at: http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_error
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th May, 2009 23:31
on 29th May, 2009 23:16, bbriley42 wrote:
This next time (a few minutes ago) I cleared the cache first, then ddid the download and tried the install. The error window (NSIS error) says "Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media.....More information at: http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_error[/quote]

Finally, after reading about NSIS errors, I again deleted the browser cache AND I shut down the active AV scan of Norton IS 2009 before downloading and installing yet another copy of the beta download - and the installation is fine!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
philip12 RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 30th May, 2009 00:29
User Since: 30th May 2009
download Revo Uninstaller free if it is on the local drive it will find it and you can remove it. Read and follow instructions. This will not if you have the old PSI on a hidden backup drive. PSI will see some of these as well as any duel boot OS on the pc.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ods RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 30th May, 2009 15:46
User Since: 24th Dec 2007
A new insecure program was listed on a PC of mine after installing 1.0.0.5 BETA:

Akamai Download Manager ActiveX Control 2.x

The information links in PSI show to information that specifies that this ActiveX Control is stored in:

C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files

I am running Vista Home Premium - Norwegian language on this PC.

The installed version in this directory is actually ver. 2.2.1.6, but it is listed as a BUILTIN version that is not possible to remove.

When trying to upgrade the Akamai Active-X control in the recommended way, a subdirectory is created called CONFLICT.1 is created and the new version is stored there.

Using IE8 Verktøy, Alternativer for Internet, Generelt, Leserlogg, Innstillinger, Midlertidige Internett-filer, Vis objekter:

it will show two entries (the original one with a translated name):

DLM Control ver. 2.2.4.8 (Akamai)
Nedlastningsadministratorkontroll ver. 2.2.1.6 (Akamai)

that even has language set to english... :) Both have a status of installed.

But using the suggested way to do this in IE8:

Using IE8 Verktøy, Administrer tillegg, Vis: Nedlastede kontroller, we only get the upgradede version:

DLM Control ver. 2.2.4.8 (Akamai)

That version is also the one I get, when attempting an indirect download from akamai.com...

So the file still exists on my PC, I am not allowed easily to remove it, and IE8 confirms that only the new version will be used through IE8.

So what is the situation. Have the problem been sufficiently fixed, even though PSI claims I am still vulnerable?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gr277 RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 30th May, 2009 17:46
System Score: 94%
Although I usually avoid Betas, this one is great. It downloaded on my Vista 32Bit with no problems and runs faultlessly.

A great tool!!

--
Basil
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th May, 2009 19:07
on 29th May, 2009 23:31, bbriley42 wrote:
Finally, after reading about NSIS errors, I again deleted the browser cache AND I shut down the active AV scan of Norton IS 2009 before downloading and installing yet another copy of the beta download - and the installation is fine!

It has run flawlessly since I installed it, which is great for a beta. The outdated programs which I cannot fix are older Sun Java JRE's which were installed with programs or games. Any JRE's that I installed myself are, of course, updated.

I have noticed the secure browsing tab and have studied it. A nice feature!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 31st May, 2009 01:06
@ M. Hansen
Totally Love Secunia and everything about it. Trying to keep up with all the security updates from Microsoft and putting it into a comprehensive program is something else. However, I respectfully request consideration for the next "beta" to be broken down (poss. by tabs) into those updates applying to XP and those applying to Vista.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dwarden RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 31st May, 2009 14:11
User Since: 23rd Dec 2007
BUG1:
i have Java JRE 1.6.0_14-b08 (Java 16 update 14)
while uninstalled always older version new PSI claims i got insecure Java in all browsers ...

BUG2:
also it reports Winamp as insecure while i manually updated the libsndfile.dll to use patched version 1.0.20 (winamp uses 1.0.19)

maybe it would be worth to check also components in question not just mainprogram build number

BUG3:
i excluded whole drive letters from scan, yet the PSI keeps scanning ALL drives
also PSI is unable to ignore e.g. SUBSTed or similar 'virtual' drives ...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lgplaut RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE 1.0.0.5
Member 2nd Jun, 2009 04:52
User Since: 7th Feb 2008
I installed the new version on my laptop running XP XP3 and the latest Zone Alarms Secity package and removed PSI release 1.0.0.4 durig the installation. The product installed just fine and even opened. Following a normal shutdown and restart or new power on, PSI continues to "look for the network" and eventuall brings up a screen showing that eiher my firewall settings re incorrect or the network isn't up. I assure you that the network is up and ruuning just fine and the the ZA program appears to be set properly for PSI.

I did try to re-install 1.0.0.5 but had the same symptoms. I then went bacl to 1.0.0.4 and all is fine !

Is this an inherant problem wth this Beta?

--
Technicrat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE 1.0.0.5
Member 2nd Jun, 2009 14:33
I have never liked ZoneAlarm as it gets confused to easily and takes a lot of figuring out why things stop working.

Actually I don't use a software firewall as it is un-necessary if you have a hardware firewall that is included in most High Speed connection modems.

I prefer to not let malware get into the system in the first place by using Layered Protection of avast! anti virus, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM), Windows Defender and WinPatrol.

Watch this interesting video with Bruce Harrison who is a developer at Malwarebytes:
http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwarebytes-... <== software firewalls discussion starts about 8 minutes into the video

Both videos are wel worth watching.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
William Claiborne RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 3rd Jun, 2009 00:29
-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
currajong RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 3rd Jun, 2009 04:58
User Since: 13th Feb 2009
The Secure Browsing feature is a great idea!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
nettep RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 3rd Jun, 2009 14:53
User Since: 7th Jan 2009
On trying to install I get the following message:
NSIS Error
Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jun, 2009 16:20
on 3rd Jun, 2009 14:53, nettep wrote:
On trying to install I get the following message:
NSIS Error
Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy.

Download a fresh copy:

Read http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Why_do_I_get_NSIS_Erro...

Where it says:
How do I fix the problem?
There are a number of ways the installer can be modified, but we'll cover steps to fix the problem on your end. If all these steps don't work, please contact the developers or publishers of the software you are attempting to install or your normal computer support channels.

If the software was obtained from the Internet
1. Clear your browser's cache.
2. Disable any download accelerators or managers and download the installer again.
3. Rename the installer so it is a simple one-word name with no special characters (without removing the .exe suffix)
Example: install.exe
4. Download the installer from another source approved by the software developer or publisher.
5. It might be corrupted on the server, or the connection to the server is unreliable from your location.
6. Update your anti-virus software (if installed) and download the installer again.
7. Disable your anti-virus software and download the installer again.
8. Download the installer using another computer and copy it to the original computer.
9. If you have the nVidia firewall installed, uninstall the program and 10.download the installer again.
11. Scan for, and remove malware and viruses on your system.
12. Scan the hard drive using scandisk, chkdsk, or any other hard drive repair tool.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Eric_Klusman RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 5th Jun, 2009 19:37
User Since: 30th May 2008
Secure Browsing is a nice feature!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rsbhbenton RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 6th Jun, 2009 04:31
User Since: 20th Apr 2009
Fantastic product!!! The added features are great with the exception that it shows weaknesses in my browser with no fix available. I would also like to point out that I use Firstdefense-ISR and that PSI is able to find all my browsers- the active snapshot and 2 additional snapshots. That is some software inspector.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
iak RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 7th Jun, 2009 16:19
User Since: 8th Oct 2008
on 28th May, 2009 10:13, M.Hansen wrote:
Hi

New features:

Stay Secure

--
Kind regards,
Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI

Was this reply relevant?
+0
iak RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 7th Jun, 2009 16:23
User Since: 8th Oct 2008
det er en skam at i ikke kan bruge dansk sprog.
men betaen er fint lavet jeg har ingen problemer med den
jeg forstår ikke at der skulle være sikkerheds problemer med microsofts browser,hej
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gr277 RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 7th Jun, 2009 16:29
System Score: 94%
on 7th Jun, 2009 16:23, iak wrote:
det er en skam at i ikke kan bruge dansk sprog.
men betaen er fint lavet jeg har ingen problemer med den
jeg forstår ikke at der skulle være sikkerheds problemer med microsofts browser,hej

???????????????

--
Basil
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jamesljmv RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 7th Jun, 2009 21:01
User Since: 7th May 2009
The PSI beta is working just great on my configuration. XP, IE8, FireFox, MS Office 2000, Quicktime, Mediaplayer, etc.; all fully patched thanks in no small part to PSI.

A suggestion... Get a good registry cleaner and use it before any major update or install. You'll live longer. ;-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jun, 2009 01:48
on 7th Jun, 2009 21:01, jamesljmv wrote:
The PSI beta is working just great on my configuration. XP, IE8, FireFox, MS Office 2000, Quicktime, Mediaplayer, etc.; all fully patched thanks in no small part to PSI.

A suggestion... Get a good registry cleaner and use it before any major update or install. You'll live longer. ;-)

Registry cleaners can be dangerous if you do not back up the registry first and know if the registry items really need to be cleaned.

CCleaner has a safe registry clean function:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadin... <== no toolbar
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadin... <== portable
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jamesljmv RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 8th Jun, 2009 04:34
User Since: 7th May 2009
Good point about the registry backup. However, under the category of 'good registry cleaner' one would assume a fairly robust package. Such as automatic backup before cleaning and a registry restore option. Also, one might like a selective restore option so that individual registry items can be restored.

The caveat in this discussion is, do not attempt it at all if you have no idea what you are doing. Learn before you leap. :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lgplaut RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 8th Jun, 2009 17:17
User Since: 7th Feb 2008
Last edited on 8th Jun, 2009 17:18
You are correct in stating that a registy booster run prior to the Beta installation is advisable. I personally recommend UniBlue's Registery Booser 2009 which also has built-in back-up faclitiies.

--
Technicrat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Racxie RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Member 9th Jun, 2009 11:36
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
The secure browser feature is a good move though I'm kinda surprised Firefox isn't showing up considering it's more popular than Opera (which is).

Anyway the problem I'm having is the direct download link for Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 isn't working, and neither are the links for the 'view forum threads' for that or for it complaining about XPSP2 (I'm guessing it wants me to update to SP3 which I currently don't see the point in).

Also for me in the secure browsing section it's showing both IE6 & 8 but that's probably because my IE is messed up and I'm having a very hard time fixing it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jun, 2009 12:54
Last edited on 9th Jun, 2009 12:55
on 9th Jun, 2009 11:36, Racxie wrote:
Also for me in the secure browsing section it's showing both IE6 & 8 but that's probably because my IE is messed up and I'm having a very hard time fixing it.

Probably you system is infected because you don't have SP3.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) then install it and update it with its built in update function then run a Quick scan and you may have to reboot to have it remove locked files:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If MBAM won't run then the system is definitly infected:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showf...

Windows SP3 has been available for a year that has perfomance enhancements and several Critical Security Updates so in IE go to Tools then Windows Update then download and install all updates.

Go to Control Center then Security Center then set it to Automatic Updates (Recommended) or at least Notify me about updates but do not download nor install them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: NEW PSI BETA RELEASE
Expert Contributor 9th Jun, 2009 23:09
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
A word to the wise ; restoring from a registry back up is not always as straightforward as clicking the restore button. Beware of fiddling with your registry.
Take care.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability