Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Java Console 6.x extension for Firefox

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Sun Microsystems
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Sary Java Console 6.x extension for Firefox
Member 9th Jun, 2009 17:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
My PC's operating system is Win XP, SP-3; browser Firefox, ver. 3.0.10. Secunia's PSI ver. 1.0.0.5 Beta is installed.

In the PSI's list of patched programs, I have 2 entries for the latest "secure" version of the Java Runtime Environment--namely, ver. 6.0.130.3. This is as it should be, because Java Version 6 Update 13 is the only version installed, and Sun's Java test page says this is the most up-to-date version for my operating system.

I, however, see 3 entries for the Java Console 6.x extension for Firefox on my machine in the PSI's patched programs list. They are ver. 6.0.10, ver. 6.0.12, and ver. 6.0.13.

My understanding of Java technology is extremely limited. Can someone with Java expertise please tell me if I can remove the Java Console ver. 6.0.10 extension and the Java Console ver. 6.0.12 extension without loss of functionality? All 3 Java Console extensions are located in this file "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\".

Thank you very much for your response.

Sarah

BigDave_39 RE: Java Console 6.x extension for Firefox
Member 9th Jun, 2009 19:42
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Hi,

I would say it is pretty safe to remove these two extensions. They both refer to old installations of Java that you no longer have on your system.

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Java Console 6.x extension for Firefox
Expert Contributor 10th Jun, 2009 00:06
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Generally speaking , you should remove old "insecure" versions if Java does not do it for you ; however , not all older versions are insecure , I heve JRE 6.0.130.3 and 6.0.140.8 loaded and both are still secure ( check with Java ). I cannot say if all my programs can/need to use v14 or still need v13. I can say that I have , myself , removed v10 and v12 with no ill effects in my case ; I do know that at one time Open Office needed to use an outdated "insecure" version for a while.
If you are not sure , then really check things out before you act - and that means don't even take my word for it.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Java Console 6.x extension for Firefox
Member 10th Jun, 2009 16:34
Hi.
As long as I know, you can remove old java installations,and to be more sure you can go www.java.com/en/download to be more secure.
happy ending.

winXP-Pro-sp3+IE8
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sary RE: Java Console 6.x extension for Firefox
Member 11th Jun, 2009 05:07
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
Many thanks to the forum participants, who wrote thoughtful answers to my question about the 2 older Java Console 6.x extensions for Firefox on my machine. Although the PSI detected them as patched, they were residue left behind when earlier versions of JRE 6 were uninstalled.

For Anthony: I remained uneasy about deletion, so I really checked it out in Mozilla's Knowledge Base, which reinforced what all 3 of you advised. Upon further investigation (typing "about:plugins" in the Firefox address bar), I also found the plugin "Java Platform SE 6 U12", which needed to be deleted, too. So I deleted a total of 2 Firefox extensions and one plugin.

Next, using "Add/Remove Programs", I removed JRE ver.6 update 13 from my computer, although the PSI detected it as patched. This time, the corresponding Firefox extension and plugins were removed for me. And I have installed JRE ver.6 update 14. So far, I observe no trouble with Open Office function.

Again, thank you for nudging me in the right direction. Without Secunia's PSI I would never have located the 2 out-of-date Java extensions, so many thanks to Secunia, too, for publishing a superb tool for keeping software patches up-to-date, thus making the internet more secure for all of us.

Best regards,
Sarah

Win XP Home, SP-3; Firefox 3.0.10; Secunia PSI 1.0.0.7 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Java Console 6.x extension for Firefox
Expert Contributor 11th Jun, 2009 14:24
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Hi Sarah,
Most pleased you have it sorted - at least until Java and Secunia set us new exams !!
I tend to download and run the updater first to let Java clean up it's own files & then remove anything left behind once I'm up & running. Maybe your way is cleaner.

Clean up is essential if your previous version was "insecure" , the rest is good housekeeping - although I still triple check before deleting merely "out of date" files.

I would always be wary of "cleaning" the Registry unless you are 120% sure you will never ever want the program you a "cleaning".
Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability