Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: How to identify versions of Secunia PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
All Threads

This thread has been marked as locked.
esheldon How to identify versions of Secunia PSI
Member 13th Jun, 2009 01:39
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Feb, 2008
System Score: N/A
The free version of Secunia PSI does not identify which version I'm using when I open it. When I click on the lower right hand of the opening window "New Version of PSI..." it takes me to the PSI setup window. I don't mind doing this since I do this about 1x month, but PSI does not show what the latest version is, or if I should update whatever my version is. Can you fine tune your graphics to show the version when I open the program & also indicate the latest (stable) version(s) one should have when one clicks on "New version of PSI..."?

esheldon

alleycat61 RE: How to identify versions of Secunia PSI
Member 13th Jun, 2009 08:04
Score: 0
User Since: 25th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
If you right click on the icon in your notification area and then click on "about secunia PSI", it will tell you what version. If you install a later version, make sure you exit the one you have, or you'll get a WIN32 error message. The new install will uninstall the older version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
esheldon RE: How to identify versions of Secunia PSI
Member 13th Jun, 2009 19:40
User Since: 5th Feb 2008
Thank you alleycat61 for your reply. However, not being very computer savvy, I don't understand what you mean about "right click on the icon in your notification area ... " such as what notification area & where is the icon? When I open up your web page, I don't see your icon or any "notification area."

esheldon
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: How to identify versions of Secunia PSI
Expert Contributor 13th Jun, 2009 21:09
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 13th Jun, 2009 21:14
On my computer screen a "bar" runs along the very bottom of the screen ; in the left corner is the green block with Start on it ; in the right corner is my clock and next to it little symbols called "icons". If you are only just getting to grips with your computer you might get a friend to help you with terms and how to do some basic things , such as using icons and "tip menus" which show up when you right - click on lots of things (icons included).
Concerning PSI , in the bottom right corner of the main page is your version. V1.0.0.4 is the last "stable" version. Later numbers are Beta versions (still being tested & developed) , the latest is v1.0.0.7.
If , instead ,this space says there is a newer version it means that Secunia thinks it might be better for you , that after all is part of their job in keeping you up to date. It"s up to you whether to follow their offer of an update .
If you are unsure of computing things , don't worry we are all still learning and at this stage v1.0.0.4 may suit you better.
PS: alleycat and I are just users of PSI and don't work for Secunia. Their staff do follow this Forum.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
esheldon RE: How to identify versions of Secunia PSI
Member 15th Jun, 2009 00:41
User Since: 5th Feb 2008
Many thanks to both alleycat & Anthony Wells. I found the Secunia icon in the notification area after I remembered I had hidden the extra icons some time ago. The new version (1.0.0.4) has the current file version number listed on its main vulnerability page that is a very helpful change from the older version. The old one(s) didn't. Thanks again!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability