xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007

This thread has been marked as locked.
Sary Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Member 21st Jun, 2009 07:17
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Here is more fuel for your lively PowerPoint discussion:

System: Win XP Home, SP-3
Office Suite: OpenOffice.org 3.1.0 (Build 9399)
Secunia PSI: Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta

Microsoft Office: The only piece of Microsoft Office on my PC is the stand-alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English). The PPTVIEW.EXE file in the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\" is "Ver. 12.0.6502.5000", a 1967 KB file with "Date Modified 3/28/2009". No other part of Microsoft Office has ever been installed since my machine was purchased.

I installed the PowerPoint software last night, because I was intensely interested in reading 2 NASA presentations that had links to PPTX files. When I used Impress to convert PPTX files to ODP files, some of the slides had text with overstruck lines, which were illegible. I, therefore, sought out Microsoft's free PowerPoint Viewer.

The original PPTVIEW.EXE file installed from this source

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...>

was "Ver. 12.0.4518.1014", published in 2007.

Microsoft Update instructed me to install PowerPoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack2 (SP2). I did that successfully.

I ran Microsoft Update a second time and was instructed to install the following patches:

1.) Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969618)
2.) Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (KB970059)

Both installed successfully. I then looked at the slides in the PPTX files, and all diagrams and text displayed beautifully.

Happy ending? Well, almost. The trouble is this: On my machine, PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta did not recognize the original PPTVIEW.EXE file Ver. 12.0.4518.1014, nor does it recognize PPTVIEW.EXE Ver. 12.0.6502.5000, the most up-to-date version, which is currently installed. I reloaded the PSI interface and double-checked by scanning a second time both before and after running the Microsoft Update tasks. Note that my PC was a Microsoft Office blank slate before I installed the stand-alone PowerPoint Viewer.

I hope this additional information helps.

Sarah

Anthony Wells RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Expert Contributor 21st Jun, 2009 11:47
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 21st Jun, 2009 12:10
Hi Sarah ,
My set up is more or less identical to yours , including all the tech details/references , except that I started with v2003 & could only get it patched by over installing v2007. I did this some time ago.
I ran a "full scan" yesterday & at the end the yellow balloon over the tray icon told me that Power Point Viewer 2007 was patched , i was so surprised , I clicked on the balloon too quickly to re-read it so I don't know if there were more details. The patched tab did not open automatically , probably because the small "scan summary" window was still open. I opened the tab & scrolled down to find the MS W XP line open , but no MS W Office PPT viewer line , which (I'm guessing) it had/would have occipied . I rescanned this morning , no bubbles , no open lines & no PPT. Of course , it is actually there/here and works fine.
I was going to post to Secunia on the 1.0.0.8 thread when i saw your's ; maybe they'll pick up this here & let us know what they are up to.
Maybe they and/or MS are trying to start afresh or are unable to find a solution at the moment for the other PPT problems - even if we had "fixed" ours ourselves and so we were caught up again ( so we don't feel left out?? )
Who knows , certainly not me :((

Bonne Journée :))
Anthony

PS: I find PPT easier for reading Email attatchments than Simpress & where I'm after quick (lazy) access.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wrmosca RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Member 22nd Jun, 2009 01:14
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Mar 2008
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2009 01:16
I'm getting a false reading on the PPT viewer, too. I have the Office 2007 ultimate installed with Windows update set to automatically download updates. I checked and my Office is fully patched as is my Win XP SP3.

Either Secunia knows more about PPT viewier than MS knows or the scan is just wrong.

Wait... I just rescanned and PPT is no longer on the list of insecure programs. Maybe Secunia updated their files and fixed this bug.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Old Phil RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Member 22nd Jun, 2009 01:30
Score: -1
User Since: 19th Apr 2009
You fellows need to search a bit, the Power Point issue does have answers. Here is one for instance!

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/186...

--
Home built fairly loaded box ASRock ConRoe1333-D667, 3.4 Intel Dual core, 2G ram, XP Home SP3 Linksys WRT160Nv2 router

733 Dell 512MB ram XP Pro SP3
Acer Aspire One baby lap top

100% Securnia score
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Expert Contributor 22nd Jun, 2009 05:56
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2009 06:04
Hi OldPhil ,

I think you have mis-understood my post. I solved my Stand-Alone PPT Viewer v20003/2007 patch problems some time ago and PSI showed this in it's scans (up to v1.0.0.7). On Saturday , PPT had disappeared , gone from the programmes listed in the scan I ran with v1.0.0.8
I'm guessing that seplummer has the same problem of "non-recognition" of PPT being on her computer.

Thanks for your taking an interest. Help always appreciated.
Take care.
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sary RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Member 22nd Jun, 2009 08:33
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2009 08:38
My sincere thanks to all 3 forum participants thus far, who have added information to my post "Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta"

I would appreciate clarifying the following:

1.) Microsoft Office 2007 is not installed on my machine and never has been. I discourage anyone using MS Office 2007, or MS Office 2003, from directly comparing my data to your own, because this could be very misleading.

2.) My installation of the PowerPoint Viewer has never been highlighted by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta as insecure. I scanned both before and after I patched the PowerPoint Viewer. The stand-alone MS Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 has never appeared at all in the program list in the user interface of PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta.

3.) Initially, the many posts to the forum about the PowerPoint Viewer primarily discussed insecure "false positives." I was home alone with "no detection." Now I know there is at least one other person in the "no detection" boat--namely, Anthony.

Many thanks to Secunia for this forum. And I tip my hat to the developers, who are busy perfecting the PSI to prevent insecure, unpatched software from eating our lunch.

Sarah
WinXP Home SP3
PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jun, 2009 10:15
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2009 10:28
Hi Sarah ,

I think Jo-Anne may be swimming towards our boat from this link

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/211...

I hope we have enough supplies to last the trip until Secunia get to us.

One small difference between you and I being that I had a copy of Office 2000 at one time , which I "clean" deleted - it has never been detected by OSI or PSI - but rescued PPT (v2003) and I think v 1.0.0.8 "may" have found PPT (v2007) when it first ran last week as it gave me the change balloon on Saturday.

Maybe if we throw our hats high enough in the air , Secunia will see us and bring lunch:))

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sary RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Member 29th Jun, 2009 19:52
Follow-up for those forum participants, who shared my "no detection" boat:

The stand-alone Microsoft Office Powerpoint Viewer 2007 (PPTVIEW.EXE, ver. 12.0.6502.5000) is now detected by PSI ver. 1.5.0.0 as being patched at this installation location:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\PPTVIEW.EXE"

Secunia has added this program to the file signatures engine of ver. 1.5.0.0 sometime within the last 3 days.

Also, please click the + sign to expand this program's listing in your "Patched" tab. Secunia has added helpful notes to clarify the situation under "Extra Information."

Thank you, Secunia!

Sarah
Win XP Home SP-3
PSI ver. 1.5.0.0
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Jun, 2009 20:12

Hi Sarah ,

Thank you for the news. I ran my weekly full scan yesterday at midday & PPT was still swimming aruond looking for us.
Just ran another scan and PPT has returned - all bright eyed and bushy tailed .

I'm off to celebrate with a glass of chilled Rosé - we're in the 30°s at the moment.

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
keithaguard RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Member 30th Jun, 2009 08:32
User Since: 29th Jun 2009
Hi All

Hope you can help!

Just updated the latest Secunia V 1.5.0.0. Prior to this all was fine.

The latest scan revealed a problem with PPT Viewer.Exe. V 12.0.6414.1000.

Unfortunatly there is a problem with the Direct Download link on the Insecure programs report. Clicking on this link does not work. So I am unable to see the Solution to the problem.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium (x64)

and the Following updates.

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB948465)
PowerPoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (KB970059)

Hope Somebody can help.

Keith

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jun, 2009 12:38
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2009 12:41
Hi Keith

Without all your details re your PPT & whether it is free standing or not ; & assuming you have read the "extra information" - in the expanded + link between "installation path & "tools" - & assuming that Micrsoft update has not helped , I suggest you read Maurice Joyce's posts of 20th & 30t June in this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/203...

Best of luck
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Handling Contributor 30th Jun, 2009 12:40
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Keith,
I wrote this for those with a full version of Powerpoint installed.
It should work correcting the insecurity in the Viewer.

INSTALLING THE UPDATED FILE.

1.Download this file and SAVE to DESKTOP - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...
2. Those without Winzip Professional installed need to download & install this programme: http://www.filehippo.com/download_7-zip/
3. Once 7Zip is installed Right click on the Microsoft downloaded file on the desktop>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN ARCHIVE
4. A window will open - Look for this file PPTVIEW MSP
5. Right click on it>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN INSIDE - once complete look for the file PATCH_CAB near the bottom of the page.
6. Right click on PATCH_CAB>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN - a separate window will open showing the file PPTVIEW_0001 - this is the file U want to patch your Office set up.
7. Right click on file PPTVIEW_0001 - select COPY TO - a box will appear - copy & paste this into the "Copy To" box - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ then click OK (Nothing appears to happen but keep the faith)
8. Close all open windows.

COMPLETING THE UPDATE.

1.Click START>select RUN>copy & paste this into the box - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Microsoft Office\Office12
2. Scroll & look for 2 files:
PPTVIEW.EXE_0001 dated 28/3/2009
PPTVIEW.EXE dated 10/11/2008
3.Right Click on the PPTVIEW.EXE_0001 file>select RENAME & rename it PPTVIEW.EXE (The icon will change to reflect it is a Microsoft active file)
4.Right Click on PPTVIEW.EXE and select DELETE.

Your viewer is now secure & fully functional.

U can now remove the Microsoft downloaded file from the desktop & uninstall 7Zip via Add/Remove if no longer required.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jun, 2009 12:49
For Maurice ,
Our posts cross again. My turn to back out ; it's too hot for work (??) anyway .
Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2009 15:03
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2009 08:26
A note to any other ordinary computer user like me, who has become confused by the direction of this thread:

Please keep in mind that the straightforward use of Microsoft Update I employed to patch the Powerpoint Viewer applies to:

1.) Windows XP Home SP-3.

2.) Systems that are not running a full installation of MS Office Suite 2007.

Please read carefully and consider what variables apply to your specific system configuration. I am not knowledgeable about other systems and do not want to mislead anyone.

Please make certain you are not trying to "fix" something which is not broken.

Thank you,

Sarah
Win XP Home SP-3
PSI ver. 1.5.0.0
Was this reply relevant?
+0
keithaguard RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Member 3rd Jul, 2009 21:28
Hi Maurice

Thanks for your input, Unfortunatly I am unable to get past no3. Below.

3. Once 7Zip is installed Right click on the Microsoft downloaded file on the desktop>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN ARCHIVE
4. A window will open - Look for this file PPTVIEW MSP
5. Right click on it>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN INSIDE - once complete look for the file PATCH_CAB near the bottom of the page.
6. Right click on PATCH_CAB>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN - a separate window will open showing the file PPTVIEW_0001 - this is the file U want to patch your Office set up.
7. Right click on file PPTVIEW_0001 - select COPY TO - a box will appear - copy & paste this into the "Copy To" box - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ then click OK (Nothing appears to happen but keep the faith)
8. Close all open windows.

Problem being that Right clicking the file as stated I am unable to find 7zip listed.

By the microsoft file, I take it you mean the PPViewer file on the desktop.

Regards

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Stand-Alone Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) not recognized by PSI Ver. 1.0.0.8 Beta
Handling Contributor 3rd Jul, 2009 22:57
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Keith,
U should have Update KB970059 saved to your desktop.

If U have installed 7Zip right click on the saved file. One of the options will be 7Zip. Scroll and highlight it & a dropdown box will display numerous options - select OPEN Archive.

Although it should be unneccessary have U checked the options in 7Zip?

I assume it is showing in C:\Windows\Program Files?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jul, 2009 23:57
Hi Maurice

Problem Solved.

Great.

Many Thanks for your help.

regards

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability