Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Reader 9.1

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
longryder Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 21st Jun, 2009 07:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 21st Jun, 2009 19:27

I have tried to patch but I get an error 2203 can't open data base messgae and the patch aborts with no fix done

Canineman RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 21st Jun, 2009 12:39
Score: 0
User Since: 12th Jan 2009
Is this the correct update for Adobe Acrobat?

Is this a safe update? Apparently Secunia doesn't think so.

Pls adv.

Tks,

ST
Was this reply relevant?
+0
longryder RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 21st Jun, 2009 19:26
User Since: 10th Mar 2009
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2009 03:21
Here is the exact message i have gotten after twice trying to install the new 9.12 upsate;

error 2203.Datebase
c\windows\installer\
2707b4.ipi
cannot open database file
system error

Why can't I just remove this from my computer
and start from scratch?...Instead of getting same
message....?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Old Phil RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 22nd Jun, 2009 01:53
Score: -1
User Since: 19th Apr 2009
Adobe has had a few problems lately, what I did may or may not work for you but should. I deleted Adobe, also cleaned the registry. Then I did a fresh down load and it for now is perfect.

Phil

--
Home built fairly loaded box ASRock ConRoe1333-D667, 3.4 Intel Dual core, 2G ram, XP Home SP3 Linksys WRT160Nv2 router

733 Dell 512MB ram XP Pro SP3
Acer Aspire One baby lap top

100% Securnia score
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mac61 RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 22nd Jun, 2009 01:59
User Since: 22nd Jun 2009
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2009 02:00
I have updated Adobe Reader 9.1 twice now using the solution. I check Adobe Reader and it says it is version 9.1.2. I check Adobe Reader if there are updates, and it says I have a current version. I do a rescan on PSI v1.0.0.4 and it still says that I have a security threat with Adobe Reader. I did a reboot and get the same result. Why can't PSI recognize the 9.1.2 updated Adobe Reader?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Expert Contributor 22nd Jun, 2009 06:28
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2009 06:30
Here is my take on things - I've copied my post from the 1.0.0.8 Beta thread.
Hope it helps.

"quote"

For Dmitryk ,

If you go here

http://www.adobe.com/

and then click on the Reader link , you come here

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/?promoid=BUIGO

this will download the 9.1.2 installer/repairer - even if it is marked 910 .

I use the Flash , Air and Shockwave links/installers as well , rather than updating from within the folders.

The previous history of updating Reader 9.0 seems to have
lead to the concensus that :-

1) try the Reader help menu links about , update and repair first and
2) do a full resan and or reboot ; if this fails
3) do a "clean" uninstall rather than try a manual update - even though you have pointed up the confusion inherent in the the Adobe web page you refer to and sorted it - please note that this means getting rid of all the Reader files and that Add/Remove may not do this. PSI uses the "Annots.api" file in the"plug_ins"folder to identify the version you have installed.
4) Adobe does not always update all the files in your foder which seems to cause some of the failures in both the auto & the manual steps we would logically take.

I hope this clears things up a little better than my poor , earlier effort (one finger typist & all that trying to take shortcuts.)

Take care
Anthony.

PS: a"clean" uninstall should/does not require doing anything to the Registry - unless you are a real techie (unlike me) beware of going there.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 02:07
Thank you Anthony for your detailed list.
1. Dowloaded and ran 9.1.2 installer/repairer. No success.
2. Clean uninstall of Adobe Reader. Reboot. Reinstall from the Adobe site. Adobe Reader not shown in Secunia but did not run a scan. I ran Adobe Reader and found that it was Version 9.0.0. Ran undate from the Adobe Reader and got updated to 9.1.2. Ran PSI 1.0.0.4 scan and got Adobe Reader as a security threat (again).
3. Used the Windows installer patch in the PSI Solution and ran a PSI scan. No success.
4. Downloaded and ran PSI 1.5.0.0 and ran a scan. Still have Adobe Reader as a security threat.

Any new suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2009 14:05
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 14:23
Why did you reinstal 9.0.0 after clean up instead of 9.1.2 ??
Have you run "repair" link in the Reader Help menu ??
What version is shown in the"Annots.api" file in the plug_ins folder ??
Silly question ; Is PSI saying that it is insecure or that it poses a "patched threat".

Please note you are better to close the Reader before you run the update/repair etc wizards and close any other programs that you can do safely. Applies in general to alot of download/installs.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mac_C RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 25th Jun, 2009 21:13
1. I did not intentionally install Adobe Reader 9.0. That is what was loaded from the Adobe site when I selected install Adobe Reader.
2. I have tried the repair patch at least 3 times (see item 3 on previous post), reboot and scan to no avail.
3. "What version is shown in the"Annots.api" file in the plug_ins folder ??" I do not know how to read an api file. If you tell me, I will check.
4. "Silly question ; Is PSI saying that it is insecure or that it poses a "patched threat"." PSI reports it as an insecure program (security threat) rated as a category 4 threat.
5. All of this happens on my Vista desktop. Last night I checked my Vista laptop and loaded PSI 1.5.0.0 on it and ran a scan. It does not report Adobe Reader as an insecure program. Can't figure the difference.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2009 21:27
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 21:32
The 9.1.2 installer is at the link I posted. You said you tried it , but you also need to use it after a clean/complete uninstall.
The 9.0.0 installer & manual updates (PSI installer patch) appear to have given a few people lots of problems , like yours. Using the help menu in Reader is usually more effective

If you right click the "Annots.api" file and then click "properties" in the menu , a window will appear and if you click the "version" tab it will show the version number.
There is software like Filealyzer (free) which will also open and read files for you.

I use XP SP3 so have no knowledge of Vista.

Back to you.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2009 21:40
Just checked my link for 9.1.2 is for XP !!!
I'll look for a Vista download for you.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2009 21:48
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 21:51
This is the latest Adobe Reader version 9.1 installer for Vista. I can only assume it has 9.1.2 & as we now know , assumptions can be misleading !!

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/

You need to choose Vista from the menu & "press" continue .
I would hate to say it , but a clean uninstall/reinstall may be best.

Sweat of the brow stuff.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 23:58
Last edited on 26th Jun, 2009 00:01
1. Did an uninstall of Adobe Reader
2. Used your link to install Adobe Reader Vista version - note version 9.1.0 was loaded
3. Rebooted, ran PSI scan, still got security threat
4. From the PSI menu, used solution to run widows installed patch to update to 9.1.2
5. Ran psi scan, still got security threat
6. Annots.api was created May 21, 2009. No version tab or other version information.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Jun, 2009 10:21
Last edited on 26th Jun, 2009 10:24
Like I said , use the Adobe Reader help menu to check version , update/patch and repair ( not the PSI patch).
I don't know why "Annots.api" has no "version" tab at the top of the window. Could be part of the problem :ie: PSI can't record yor update ; or your uninstall is not clean enough . I cannot help further by posting ; maybe you can get a friend who knows Vista to help you and check your procedures and make sure Secunia is not reading a left over file .
Is there just one installation path to one Adobe Reader folder , for example ?
"Filealyzer" will read you api. file & show the version (if it works on Vista).

I'm sure you will succeed , one way or another.
Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Jun, 2009 16:17
Apparently Filealyzer does work in Vista .
Here is a link to it , should you wish to check your .api file.
Other people seem to be suffering like you :(( but there must be an answer out there ; it will probably come from Secunia & Adobe when they have finished their homework !!

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/filealyzer/inde...

Take care :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jun, 2009 02:13
on 22nd Jun, 2009 01:53, Old Phil wrote:
Adobe has had a few problems lately, what I did may or may not work for you but should. I deleted Adobe, also cleaned the registry. Then I did a fresh down load and it for now is perfect.

Phil

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jun, 2009 02:27
i TRIED TO DO IT YPUR WAY ...AND i GUESS WHAT YOU FOLKS ARE NOT HEARING IS THAT i CANNOT GET THE DAMAGED READER REMOVED BECAUSE OF WHATEVER IS GOING ON...i EVEN LEFT A MESSAGE WITH ADOBE AND HAVE MOT BEEN GIVEN THE COURTESY OF A RESPNSE.,, iT IS NOT MY PRIBLEM IT IS THE ADOBE FOLKS PROBLEM AND THEIR SILENCE IS VERY IRRITATING
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Jun, 2009 14:20
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2009 15:00
If I read your 3 postings correctly ; at first you had this problem :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888310

which seems to be an Windows installer problem within XP SP2 as a result of trying to update to 9.1.2 .

I did not understand that this was also blocking your ability to delete Adobe Reader 9 all together.

Windows (above) seem to offer a hotfix for the "error" and I have used Windows Install Clean Up program in the past , with variable success.

I hope someone more techie can advise on things such as "locked file removal" programs , which may help you .

Here is a specific reference to a problem related to yours :
"quote>
According to the Windows Installer documentation, error code 2203 means Database: [2]. Cannot open database file. System error [3]. In this case, the system error code (-2147287035) means "access denied."

There are a couple of cases where I have seen this error in the past for the .NET Framework and other types of MSI-based setup packages:

Permission problems for the %windir%\installer folder - If the Windows Installer service does not have sufficient permissions to read and write to this folder, the installation will fail. Typically the subinacl tool described here will fix the permissions and then you can re-run setup and it will work correctly.
Anti-virus software - If you have a real-time virus scanner enabled, and it happens to be scanning the file in %windir%\installer at the same time as setup is trying to open the file and install from it, you will get this type of error. This is generally a timing issue, and in this case re-running setup will fix it. Alternatively, you can disable real-time virus scanning during installation, but if you do this please be aware of the security implications of doing so and either install while not connected to the network, or if that is not possible, make sure to immediately re-enable the virus scanner after setup completes.<unquote"

PS: I have been told that it is more likely a Windows problem (& not Adobe) & that setting up a new admin account "might" help.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oy... RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 2nd Jul, 2009 15:14
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
If there was one, just one PDF-reader, I would suggest people NOT to use, it would be Adobe Reader. Of the PDF-readers I personally know, Adobe Reader is definitely the worst and most risky to have installed. Adobe is not exactly know to be the most security minded software vendor, to put it mildly!

Try one of these instead: www.pdfreaders.org
Was this reply relevant?
+0
abyssoft RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 2nd Jul, 2009 15:24
User Since: 2nd Jul 2009
System Score: 100%
I found that the following process worked for me on this issue Uninstalling adobe flash, shockwave, and reader
reboot
install each of the above again
then get the patch for reader
install patch
reboot
rescan using PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Jul, 2009 16:46
Last edited on 2nd Jul, 2009 16:47
Hi HBR ,

The positive info on Adobe alternatives is most useful ; as not everybody has the option of changing from Adobe , whilst I don't defend them, everything you say could seem to apply if you substituted MS/Windows & IE .

Having to do with a lot of patches is not quite the same as being lax/ignoring security ; having said so ,the history of ActiveX is quite illuminating .

Take care.
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gilloz RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 3rd Jul, 2009 05:39
User Since: 1st Jun 2009
That is exactly what you should do. Uninstall Adobe Reader 9.1 and in it's place install Foxit Reader. You can download it at http://www.filehippo.com.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jul, 2009 22:57
I cannot get rid of Adobe Reader. I distribute reports as part of my business in PDF format. I do not use an Adobe program to create them, but I want to be sure that they can be read by Adobe Reader before I send them out. Whether you like it or not, Adobe is the standard in PDF programs.

Today, I was able to remove Adobe Reader from the insecure program list in PSI. I downloaded the Secunia PSI update 1.5.0.0 because I was notified that they had a new update. I already had version 1.5.0.0. so I don't know why I was notified to update.

I did the following but do not know which ones are important. I deleted all Adobe Reader files (except for 2) from two back-up hard drives, rebooted, and ran PSI and got the Adobe Reader still listed as an insecure program.

I then downloaded the newest Piriform CCleaner update, V2.21.940, and ran it. I rebooted and ran a PSI scan. Adobe Reader WAS NO LONGER LISTED as an insecure program for the first time in at least 3 weeks.

Previously, I had tried all of the suggestions on this thread with no apparent success.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2009 13:41
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2009 13:45

Hello there , Mac( 61 for today , I see ; my regards to _C ),

Glad you resolved the problem. Sounds , possibly , like something in the old files :eg: a numbered "Annots.api" file , might have caught PSI's eye ( it often happens ) - did you ever check to see if the installation path" or the "open folder" links gave a hint of/to the back up files.
Depending on your CCleaner settings , you may have also cleaned up some garbage more efficiently.

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DAVID BINKO RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 4th Jul, 2009 21:05
User Since: 23rd Jun 2009
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2009 21:10
Hi,

I'm new on the block, but we have something in common- Adobe Reader problems. I followed your example with CCleaner except that I had just updated CCleaner this week and didn't do it today. I could see no harm, as I had tried everything else I could find. Earlier today I reinstalled
Adobe Reader, first trying auto download. It downloaded Adobe Air, but not Reader. Manual download worked without incident. Right after that I ran the PSI scan, no change. About 2 minutes after the scan ended my class 4 problem with Flash Player 10.x dropped off the screen and PSI declared that I only had one malady, Adobe Reader. At age 64 I half believed I'd seen it all. Guess again! For perspective, I run Windows XP Home, sp3, which was clean installed the end of May, my second major crash of the year.

Regards,
David "Crash" Binko

--
Dave Binko, a.k.a. Crash Computer
Windows XP Home Edition,SP3 (build 2600)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor: 1.9Ghz,896 MB RAM
Micro-Star International, Ltd MS-7253 1.00
Built by RJ Ender, Cedar Rapids, IA, July 2007
O.S. clean installed May 2009 after 2nd crash this year
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Contributor 5th Jul, 2009 23:43
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
In one of the posts I remember seeing something about locked files. I will enclose a link for a free program that unlocks files. Yes I have had occasion to use it but be aware "disclaimer" use it @ your own risk. I'll include the link-read, heed, & make your own decision about using this tool. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jul, 2009 00:58
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2009 00:59
When I went to download "unlocker", Norton Security popped up with 5 warnings of problems with unlocker. Please see http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=ccollomb... for detailed information. Norton has kept my computers safe and secure for a long time. Since I have never had such a serious and detailed warning before, I did not proceed with unlocker.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 03:47
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Yeah I've seen this warning from other users of Webwatcher systems. My personal take is if you've got a good dependable A/V scanner-resident or on demand-the problems should be caught & dealt with. After downloading I scanned with MBAM-got a clean bill of health and Eset Smart Security did too. I noticed on the link you provided the user rating was listed but seems to almost contradict the warnings. Anyway you have to do whatever you think is right for you & there's plenty of other choices. Seeing as how I've already got it, I'll just keep using it-but thanks for your input.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 13:59

Hi wr,

Thanks for the reply/link . It was in my (lengthy) post to longryder that , as he seemed "locked" out from Adobe , I was looking for "techie" help on getting into files .

AS I have MBAM free , in "tools" , I've got "FileASSASIN" & I think Spyware Terminator has a tool. I'm just not sure how & when you really should use them , even if there is malware involved

You know me , always wary without Maurice's beady on us.

Thanks for the extras Mac.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NikRik RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 6th Jul, 2009 14:40
User Since: 4th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2009 14:43
Last Time I was able to have Secunia PSI run successfully it also recomended a update of Adobe Reader 8.1.1 to another version ,unlike yours it recomeded a differant update to a version higher in the 8.0 line since I do not still have a working version of Secunia PSI I cannot rescan and give you the exact version ! However like you my update also failed and I recieved a error prompt stating that the update version I was trying to install was not compatable with the version of Adobe Reader I already have installed . I scanned my reader version with my Norton Security Suite and it passed ,stating it found no problems in my exsisting version !FYI O/S WindowsXP SP2 MCE2005
Good Luck NikRik

--
It its not where you go, it's where you're coming from.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 14:49
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2009 14:51
Norton scans for malware (viruses etc) , PSI does not .

PSI scans for security vulnerability problems which need patches , Norton does not.

You still need PSI or OSI advice on Adobe ; is it patched or not .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jul, 2009 15:28
Anthony Wells:
Thank you for your comments. I think we generally agree about Adobe, but I'm not sure in which situations one does not have the option of not using Adobe Reader, except perhaps for some rare cases. Agreed, Mac61 is in a special situation where having Adobe Reader may not be a good idea. But that situation does not apply for the majority of users. For them, I don't see the reason to choose Adobe Reader as PDF-reader. If you do, I'd be curious to hear about it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 20:34
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2009 20:37
Hi HBR ,

A lot of people , like me for example , get loaded up with "useful" programmes when they first buy a computer . I was extremely lucky to have a "techie" friend to guide me through buying , set up ,etc . He kept me out of trouble by giving info on his "need yo know criteria". He got me Gmail & told me to go to Firefox asap ; not everyone is so lucky .
Even so , I got Adobe & Norton A/V for "free" ; I got rid of Norton pdq , but Adobe was never a problem & so I'm "used to it" & it always does what I want it to do .
Only now , after a couple of years of experience , would I be confident to change & to know what to look for ; but not to some of the open source in your link , mention "command lines" & I'm off .
So people less confident than I , would/could be incapable of changing - and that's not just semantics.
People in groups/schools/networks may have to conform to rules which specify all things Adobe .
All around the world Adobe may be the only thing that comes in their mother tongue.
And , a lot of people my age may trust only the thing they know best.
Adobe is like IE , it's ubiquitous & we have to accept that & hope that over time your good advice percolates through , but don't expect miracles.
Cheers (it's apperitif time & some)
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 11:13
Hello HBR ,

By chance I came across this blog (about one year old) ; the link/website "seem" clean by my checking :-

http://www.artiss.co.uk/2008/08/adobe-acrobat-read...

The postings are also interesting ; chacun a ses defauts :-o))

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jul, 2009 15:56
Thank you for your information Anthony. You certainly have a point and I agree that for some people Adobe Reader might be a reasonable choice as PDF-reader. From reading both of your comments and also the page you are linking to, I can however, still only conclude that for most people Adobe Reader would not be the best choice. Not for all, but for most.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 16:11
I would not know whether it's all , most or other - everybody used to swear by AdAware , but now it's all MBAM & SAS .
The sands of time and all that , don't forget :-

Foxit Reader Contains Multiple Vulnerabilities

added June 23, 2009 at 09:54 am
Foxit Reader has released updates for multiple vulnerabilities. By convincing a user to open a malicious PDF file, an attacker may be able to execute code or cause a vulnerable PDF viewer to crash. The PDF could be emailed as an attachment or hosted on a website.

US-CERT encourages users to review the Foxit Security Bulletin and Vulnerability Note VU#251793 and apply any necessary updates.

Anyway it's back in the 30s and loads of men in Lycra are rushing madly around Montpellier.....now that's critical !!

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jul, 2009 18:48
Hello to anybody out there,

I'm going to audition Adobe Reader Lite. I need little in the way of features, as my main use is exchanging materials with my sister and
downloading the occasional product manual. I've had a belly full of trying to get Adobe Reader 9.1.2 in place. The current PSI fix for Reader upgrades to version 9.1.2, but you must have version 9.1 or
9.1.1 to install it. For me that explains a lot of PSI repair failures
with Acrobat Reader. This is probably my machine, but I get Version 9.1 OR 9.1.1 installed no sweat, but I can not, repeat not,get the update
to version 9.1.2 to install. I just get something along the lines of
'can't find the file, installer, whatever'. Another undersold feature of Acrobat Reader is that Adobe doesn't support the combination with Acrobat in the same installation. Secunia PSI and the forum members
have opened up a whole new world for me- Mixed blessing to be sure,
but there it is. Keep the faith.

Dave Binko

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 19:37
Hello Dave ,
I've been lucky that all my updates to 9.1.1 to 9.1.2 were done using the Reader help menu "about" ,"update" & "repair links" , always closed Reader & as many other programmes as possible before running the "wizard".

Adobe Light seems like an excellent substitute ; maybe their website/forum would answer your queries or perhaps HBR can help.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jul, 2009 13:45
on 7th Jul, 2009 16:11, Anthony Wells wrote:

Foxit Reader Contains Multiple Vulnerabilities

Indeed it does. Comparing the simple number of vulnerabilities for a program however, is not an accurate measure for a programs overall security. I'm sure you know that. But if we DO look at the numbers, then the latest version of Foxit Reader is affected by 3 vulnerabilities and Adobe Reader is affected by 21.

Source:
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/20648/?task=...
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/19237/?task=...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Jul, 2009 16:59
Last edited on 8th Jul, 2009 17:10
The quote is from the Cert agency not me .

Continuing to labour/score/prove points is not the aim of this Forum* ; so I bow to your wisdom with this thought ; it doesn't matter how many bullets there are in the gun , it only takes one to kill you ! Take care , especially if you are only the messenger .

[]*I would note that there are no unpatched vulnerabilities & that statistics are very dangerous in the wrong hands (check out Disraeli)[]

On a serios note , Dave needs some advice re Adobe Lite which is a more pressing thing . I'm sure he would appreciate your advice , unless he got bored and is looking elsewhere :((

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jul, 2009 06:06
Hello, Anthony,

No, I'm still here. I am still getting "educated", a double-edged sword, and was busy learning things the hard way.
I did download Adobe Reader Lite 9.1.0.29 yesterday, without undue effort. I have taken to avoiding the Adobe website as needlessly difficult to navigate. Any more I mostly use FileHippo and Majorgeeks
as I've had good success with both, so far. Comments, anybody?
Anyway, my computer add/remove shows Reader Lite 9.1; so do Software Informer and Revo Uninstaller. Adobe Reader Lite 9.1.0.29, to boot.
Secunia PSI? Just as you might expect, Adobe Reader (original recipe)
9.1.0.163. I submitter Reader Lite to PSI as a new program just to see what happens.
I could NOT get Adobe Reader to update from either 9.1 or9.1.1 to 9.1.2
and threw in the towel, hence Reader Lite. I doubt that PSI patch is compatible with Reader Lite and I have been unable to find any references to current updates, so for now I'm sitting tight.
Yesterday was fun. I found out that there are some really devious ways to get rid of a difficult program. In one case I drag-and-dropped folders to the desktop and thence to the recycle bin. Sophisticated, no. Effective? Yes, and that is the whole point of the exercise.

Regards to all,
Dave Binko

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2009 11:23
Hi Dave

Pleased to have your update and hear your progress . I always use sites/systems I understand until I find /am shown better ; Hippo etc ., I also use .

As for REVO , be absolutely 200% sure before you let it clean up the Registry - unless Secunia points up something you are into dangerous waters & doing "housekeeping" you may not notice - until it's too late. I would only trust CCleaner at "default" settings to clean your Registry , for now .

Adobe Lite does have update problems as shown in this thread ; you'll need to read it all I'm afraid :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/206...

If you are off all things Adobe , the quick fix of Foxit may be better , only guessing , but it should do all you need & save you hassle !

I read your new thread for "beginners" & will be interested in the responses ; I personally only move on when someone shows me or gives me detailed instructions on specific items ; to me that's my friend I 'phone , who talks me through it on my PC or "support" Email instructions , the rest can be too arbitrary and often prejudged when it comes to details . Getting out & joining a group of like minded PC users is often a lot more fun & instructive.

AS for controlling what loads at "start up" & what Windows also loads & runs , do a search on "msconfig".

Keep us up to date :-))
Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jul, 2009 14:32
The only thing that annoys me a bit about Foxit Reader is that they try to make you install "Foxit Toolbar" and change your default search field. If you remember to remove the check for that toolbar and new search field during the installation however, I like Foxit Reader. It can show me a PDF-file and that's about it. Then I'm happy. :-) I guess that would satisfy the need for the majority of users.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jul, 2009 19:03
Hi, HBR,

Adobe Flash Player is unavoidable in my case, but it's not a problem except the fairly frequent need to reinstall. Sending PDF filed is simple for my case, in that I just send the occasional file to my sister, who is also my conservator. I generate these in OpenOffice, click the mouse once, and that's it. That says all I need is a means
of downloading the occasional PDF document. It sounds to me as if Foxit
is a plausible alternative.
To try to get Adobe Reader 9.1.2 in place I went so far as to completely strip everything Adobe out of my computer, even the Reader dictionary support. Believe me, I missed nothing, going through all the program files manually. To download Reader I went so far as to create a new,
renamed target folder for Reader 9.1. Didn't help, but it was a nice place to download Reader Lite 9.1 and know I have the right place to look for it. A Bipolar on meds needs all the help he can get.
You have probably been more helpful than you expected to be. Thanks.

Dave Binko

The messenger works for minimum wage- give him a break.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 04:44
Last edited on 11th Jul, 2009 04:47
Me again--

I threw in the towel and installed Foxit Reader. Secunia PSI accepted it
and that's where I quit fooling around.

As an aside, just to show my technical prowess, I went to take Google Earth out of the computer to update it, and I found it in no less than THREE places- C:\Program Files..., C:\oldfiles\Program Files..., and
C:\oldfiles\oldfiles\program Files... How the blue blazes did I do
that? Once I finally saw what I had, I stripped out all three and downloaded the up-to-date version in C:\Program Files... I'm finding
all kinds of stuff like that in the computer, now that I have some experience in digging that stuff out. Thanks, forum people. Two weeks ago it was impossible, and now you have me grubbing out and fixing
improbable things. I'm having a ball. Thanks, people. That said, there's still no room for me in the registry.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Adobe Reader 9.1
Member 11th Jul, 2009 12:39
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
JUST FOR INFORMATION: The last time I tried to use Foxit with Open Office I got a dialogue box stating that Adobe is now the exclusive operating system for Open Office. i.e. open office will not recognize Foxit. I subsequently removed all Foxit for disk space. Half my documents are in open office. Did anyone try using the Secunia fix and try downloading from Secunia?

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 15:11
Hello Puget 1,

Thanks for your input regarding OpenOffice and Foxit compatibility.
You have saved me some grief, and going back to Adobe Reader is simple
enough. I just wish I knew why I've had trouble getting it into version 9.1.2. Still, it's worth trying again, as I've done a few things thhat have improved computer performance. Why that's so is a matter for speculation, but it's so.
My usage of PDF documents is low, so I'm not much exposed and risk may be acceptable.
He who breaks into my computer will find naught but trash anyway.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 17:13
Last edited on 11th Jul, 2009 17:21
In the past I have found,that some times even the official adobe download site is not up with Secunia. i.e. you can't get the version that Secunia is telling you. The only easy way to get that version is to download directly from Secunia. Or it also seems that the version Secunia is telling you is a patch to a main version of Adobe build. Removing the main build won't work and the patch can only come from Secunia.

--

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jul, 2009 17:03
I'm not so sure it works that way. Secunia have as a policy only to offer the patches that the vendors themselves recommends. Secunia never recommends anything as such in this regard, they only inform you about patches that the vendor has issued.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jul, 2009 17:45
Good Morning--

I may be rhe exception rather than the rule, but I have made a couple observations.
1. I have several mis-identified programs on record. I have submitted two to Secunia since they involved major vendors, Adobe and RealPlayer.
2. I have tried repeatedly and without success to use the same upgrade Secunia PSI uses to upgrade Adobe Reader 9.x., which ends up at version 9.1.2. I get 9.1.1 and that's it-- no 9.1.2, no matter where I try to get it from. When the installer for 9.1.2 gets to a certain point it stops and asks me if the update exists or not. Like I would know that!
I even went so far as to completely strip all Adobe products out of the computer, to no avail. If I tried to use Secunia as the installer I assume the same would happen and I'd be none the wiser. I wonder how many people have had that happen already. I had the same results with Reader Lite 9.x. Secunia calls for the same patch as for original Reader
and I have serious misgivings about compatibility.
3. In defense of Secunia, it made the process of getting where I am now
much easier than it would otherwise be. I got a lot of use out of it in clearing All Adobe products out of Program Files. Didn't help, but a darned good learning exercise.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jul, 2009 20:21
Last edited on 13th Jul, 2009 20:52
@Binko This is what I made reference to. It sometimes seems like there is a 1/2 patch. You didn't need to totally remove Adobe..But you needed to get the download from secunia fix. I know it is weird, but that is what I also went through in your last thread. HBR this is what I was trying to head off. It might have something to with local,& mirrors.. It was weird to say the least. update: If I remember there was a thread about it and it was determined that the update was for xp not vista or vice versa I think this the trap Binko got into???? So Longryder what do you make out of all this

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2009 21:09
Last edited on 13th Jul, 2009 21:26
I think longryder must be out on the range somewhere - long time since he checked in.
From my point of view , it seems to be an even more complex mix of Secunia & Abobe trying to find the right matching set of info that depends on the quality of clean-up/uninstall & source of install/patch (as HBR says , it's always a regular Adobe patch) & techniques used. It would also seem that certainly Secunia has adapted their solutions since we started on this quest in May - not sure which century or parallel universe !!
PS: the XP/Vista sourcing was simply down to my stupidity & should not be a major factor for anyone with common sense , even if the Adobe site could use GPS !! What did arise at the time was that the 9.1.2 patch only updated v9.1.1 & NOT v9.1.0 - as is now noted in PSI .

PS: The patch is compatible with Lite , but Secunia can't read it , the way Lite is modified.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability