xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
M.Hansen NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Secunia Official 24th Jun, 2009 13:47
Ranking: 188
User Since: 26th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi

The moment you all have been waiting for: The PSI 1.5 (Stable Release) is now available for download!
Download it here:
http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

This new release will have all of the changes of the BETA versions and even more languages to choose from

The full changelog can always be read at:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Stay Secure

--
Kind regards,
Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

pudelein RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 15:05
Score: 1
User Since: 16th Jan 2008
System Score: 100%
Congratulations on a major milestone! Version 1.5.0 is running just fine here. I do have three comments about how things are at this moment:

1. Glad to see the World Map working now. FWIW, PSI initially located me one US state away from the correct one; easily fixed in my profile, however.

2. PSI still confuses Thunderbird add-ons with Firefox ones. The full path of each of these items could (easily, I think) be searched to assign an add-on to the correct program. At least on my system this is correct. I realize that the flexibility of both TB and FF might make this more troublesome in general.

3. The current Secunia vulnerability report for SeaMonkey (SA34835) is out of date after yesterday's update.

Best wishes on the continued success of PSI!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Hansen RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Secunia Official 24th Jun, 2009 15:43
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

2. We are aware of the problem, and are trying to find a solution as soon as posible.

3. Seamonkey is now affected by 2 advisories, one unpatched and one "partical fix"
Papseflapse RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 16:46
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2009 17:14
When trying to install I'm receiving this message:
Installer integrity chck has failed. Common causus include incomplete donload and damaged media. Contact installer's author to obtain a new copy.

More information at:
http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_Error

I've visited this website and tried to use their sollution, but I've still found the same problem.

Can you help me.

Kind regards
Heinz

The tip for downloading was the trick. By downloading just 150kb instead of 630kb the problem remained, now everything is working again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
redleg RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 16:59
User Since: 12th Jun 2009
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2009 17:01
ahhh, excellent- thank you Secunia PSI dev team for this release! so far it is on XPsp3 and Vista sp2, will report back if any issues but have found none so far on upgrading.

Heinz, you should delete the installer that is giving you error and simply re-download it. If your download is not "Size: 603 KB (618,072 bytes)" (by right click/properties) then you will need to try again. HTH!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 17:06
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
Downloaded secunia 1.5 after deleting secunia beta.
After install I am being told a patch has been applied to firefox. Problem is, I do not have firefox running on my computer and never did. What's up?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Papseflapse RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 17:15
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2009 17:15
Redleg, Thanks for the tip, it worked.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
powerman49 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 18:17
User Since: 4th Nov 2008
I have downloaded the new setup file, but, after running it (uninstall old program and install new), the interface still shows version 1.0.0.4.

I have tried a couple of times and still get the same result with the program prompting that a new release is available for download.

Any suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
EagleAl RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 18:43
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2009 18:45
For some reason clicking the "view forums threads for <program>" doesn't do a blessed thing. Granted all I (currently) have are either patched or end-of-life programs, and patched programs don't have that option so I don't know if the "view forums threads" works with the insecure programs. But it isn't working for the end-of-life ones.

Other than that, though, everything seems to be working just fine. Had a (as usual) flawless and painless uninstall/reinstall, and everything seems to be working just fine, even the Secunia PSI WorldMap now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Formaldahyde RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 18:48
User Since: 21st Oct 2008
Just an observation: Like the world map thingy. Says my score of 100% is 5% higher than most users in my state.

However, it also says that "Compared to users without PSI installed, my score is 85% worse...install patches now."

Not sure I understand that one......if I'm 100% patched with no insecure programs, how can I be 85% worse than someone that has not checked their system with PSI. Hmmmm....

Think I'll go fishing and let you guru's figure this one out.

TTFN

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lauren264 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 19:09
User Since: 24th Jun 2009
on 24th Jun, 2009 18:17, powerman49 wrote:
I have downloaded the new setup file, but, after running it (uninstall old program and install new), the interface still shows version 1.0.0.4.

I have tried a couple of times and still get the same result with the program prompting that a new release is available for download.

Any suggestions?

I'm seeing the same thing. May just be a housekeeping cleanup thing.

lauren

--
lauren264
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mweismer RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.) won't install
Member 24th Jun, 2009 19:13
User Since: 26th Mar 2008
I am having the same issue with the download coming in at 372,104. I've tried a dozen times. Any suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BigDave_39 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 20:09
on 24th Jun, 2009 19:09, lauren264 wrote:
I'm seeing the same thing. May just be a housekeeping cleanup thing.

lauren

Have you tried to Exit your current PSI before installing the new one?

Next to the clock, lower right, you have the Secunia PSI icon, right-click this one and choose "Exit" and then "Ok". This should effectively close your PSI, afterwards try to install the new PSI again and see if it didn't solve your issue.

Good luck!

BTW, on a related note: Thank you Secunia for this new release, it rocks ;-)

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mweismer RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 20:26
on 24th Jun, 2009 20:09, BigDave_39 wrote:

Next to the clock, lower right, you have the Secunia PSI icon, right-click this one and choose "Exit" and then "Ok". This should effectively close your PSI, afterwards try to install the new PSI again and see if it didn't solve your issue.

Good luck!

BTW, on a related note: Thank you Secunia for this new release, it rocks ;-)

Yes I have but that is not the issue. The file being downloaded is the wrong size. I used another machine and successfully got the file. This has happened with Secunia before, but never on any other download. I am a download wh**e and download tons of software without a problem
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lauren264 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 20:30
on 24th Jun, 2009 20:09, BigDave_39 wrote:

I exited v1.0.0.4 and uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller along with all related registry values. Then installed PSI v1.5.

In the lower right-hand corner of the PSI screen it notes that the version is 1.0.0.4. v1.0.0.4 doesn't exist on this machine.

--
lauren264
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wonkabear2 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 20:54
Score: 10
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
Reference my earlier post on my score being 85% worse.......

Well, I guess everything is okey now, cause it says I'm 15% better than those without PSI installed.

All is right with the world. :))

Bill

--
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dunlappedover RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 21:28
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 02:19
I had the same problem with the download and install. No matter what I did, I only got the small invalid version of the installer. I kept deleting it and re-downloading with the same result. I finally right-clicked on the link and did a "save taget as..." and got the full installation file.

EDIT: The problem occured whether I tried to save the installer first and then run it, or tried to just directly run it without saving it. It only worked when I right-clicked on the link and saved the target.

EDIT: Installation worked fine, it runs its own uninstaller for the previous version (1.0.0.4) and that worked fine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
csi RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 21:33
Score: 7
User Since: 12th Aug 2008
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2009 21:36
Thank you very much for the new PSI version! Surely I would miss several needed updates without Secunia! Thanks again!

Oops, but my score is 99%, in fact, not 90% only! (It's only one application, which is aged, but not shown as insecure.)

--
Cebop INN, Pentium M 740, 1733 MHz, 2 GB DDR2 SO-DIMM 533MHZ, XP SP3, PSI 2.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
OldPaul100 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 21:37
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2009 21:39
Congrats, the new version seems to have fixed the major gripe that PSI took ages to display any data and just went absent while it scanned and locked the system up!
I downloaded via Firefox, ran the installer which told me I had Ver 1.0.0.4, un-installed it, installed ver 1.5 with no trouble. Have been running PSI ever since it was recommended in Windows Secrets Newsletter some while back. Although it was a bit clanky in places, it's better than nothing!
It used to be easy to get a green score but now with only one End-of-Life program I'm still Yellow!
What do I have to do to get Green!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jørgen Rasmussen RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 24th Jun, 2009 22:46
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
Thank you for this great update. This helpful tool is just getting better and better.
A minor "bug" is that Secunia PSI cannot display user names correct.
Version 1.5 and the former beta version cannot display names containing non-ascii chars like æ, ø and å. So I am met with "God aften, Jsquarergen Rasmussen". Changing the square to ø in the profile does not help.

Jørgen Rasmussen
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mmcguirk RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 00:07
User Since: 19th Apr 2008
All -

I got the proper sized download and installation went as advertised but, when I try to run the program, it hangs on loading the interface. I've tried multiple times over the last several hours. My internet connection works fine. I tried redownloading, manually (via Add Remove Programs) removing previous version - neither made any difference. Then I tried re-installing previous version and that had the same problem. Are your servers down? I assume "loading the interface" is downloading something from your servers?

Thanks for any ideas.

MM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
amhoyle RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 00:16
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
The "Secure Browsing" tab is still red coloured text. Should this be blue for the final release like all the other tab labels?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Old Phil RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 00:53
Score: -1
User Since: 19th Apr 2009
Ok I did not remove 1.0.0.4 before down loading 1.5, did not see a note to do so. Should I delete everything and reload 1.5 again.

Phil

--
Home built fairly loaded box ASRock ConRoe1333-D667, 3.4 Intel Dual core, 2G ram, XP Home SP3 Linksys WRT160Nv2 router

733 Dell 512MB ram XP Pro SP3
Acer Aspire One baby lap top

100% Securnia score
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 02:06
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
on 25th Jun, 2009 00:53, Old Phil wrote:
Ok I did not remove 1.0.0.4 before down loading 1.5, did not see a note to do so. Should I delete everything and reload 1.5 again.

Phil

Yes Phil you should. I am surprised that a pop-up did not tell you to do so. With permission Secunia asks if you want it removed and then install the update. No problem though.Just takes a minute to do.
Safe surfing.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 02:22
on 25th Jun, 2009 00:07, mmcguirk wrote:
All -

I got the proper sized download and installation went as advertised but, when I try to run the program, it hangs on loading the interface. I've tried multiple times over the last several hours. My internet connection works fine. I tried redownloading, manually (via Add Remove Programs) removing previous version - neither made any difference. Then I tried re-installing previous version and that had the same problem. Are your servers down? I assume "loading the interface" is downloading something from your servers?

Thanks for any ideas.

MM

That is probably a problem loading the flash player that displays the chart and graph. Flash is problematic when updating, they have a special uninstaller you may have to run to clean out old versions and then install the latest version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 02:34
on 24th Jun, 2009 21:37, OldPaul100 wrote:
It used to be easy to get a green score but now with only one End-of-Life program I'm still Yellow!
What do I have to do to get Green!!

TIPS FOR GREEN: Some programs don't uninstall the old executable properly. For instance - you may have a copy in a System Restore folder (make a new Restore and delete older Restore backups until it is gone); Java doesn't uninstall older versions (you have to remove older versions manually from Control Panel); Flash installer doesn't remove previous versions (you have to run a separate Flash uninstaller provided by the manufacturer first to clean the older version); etc.

If all normal uninstall or upgrade efforts fail to remove the offender: hover your cursor over the Insecure or End-Of-Life message on that tab and note the location and file name that pops up. Then click on the 'Open Folder Location' button (or whatever it is called) and find that file in that folder and delete just that file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bundaburra RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 02:53
User Since: 18th Feb 2008
I like this new version, no problems installing or running it, but I have one question re Secure Browsing:

For Internet Explorer 8.x it shows "not secure for browsing, minimum six critical attack vectors" in the heading, and against the actual entry it says "insecure, no solution".

For Mozilla Firefox 3.x (I have 3.0.11, current version at this time), it shows "not secure for browsing, minimum three critical attack vectors" in the heading, but against the actual entry it says "patched".

Why are both browsers "not secure for browsing", but one is "insecure, no solution" and the other is "patched"?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 03:30
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 05:41
on 25th Jun, 2009 02:06, MaritimeRider wrote:
Yes Phil you should. I am surprised that a pop-up did not tell you to do so. With permission Secunia asks if you want it removed and then install the update. No problem though.Just takes a minute to do.
Safe surfing.

I used XP's disk clean up in accessories worked fine
Up and running 1.5 like you said OR two, ran first scan! Still holding on to 100%

Thanks
Phil

--
Home built fairly loaded box ASRock ConRoe1333-D667, 3.4 Intel Dual core, 2G ram, XP Home SP3 Linksys WRT160Nv2 router

100% Securnia score
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 04:11
on 25th Jun, 2009 02:22, dunlappedover wrote:
That is probably a problem loading the flash player that displays the chart and graph. Flash is problematic when updating, they have a special uninstaller you may have to run to clean out old versions and then install the latest version.

Thanks for trying but that didn't do it. I used the uninstaller from the Flash web site, tried again to install PSI but no luck. Reinstalled Flash and tried again - still no luck. Tried an older version and still nothing. With the older version I get the barber pole with the message "Please wait while the Secunia PSI interface is loading. This is expected to last less than 10 seconds." With the new version I get the same visual presentation but there is no message in the barber pole box. Does that make sense? BTW I'm running Vista 64 bit.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 05:03
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 05:08
It sounds like maybe it is just running the first scan. It won't display the statistics until it has gathered them, and depending on the size of your system, that could take a while (10-15 minutes?). How long have you waited?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 05:40
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NorthFarm RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 09:09
User Since: 25th Jun 2009
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 09:15
Hi, just a few comments from me.

1. After installing I get a welcome screen saying that PSI 1.0 is now installed!

2. When I click "Download solution" I get the following error box message (In Danish): "Linket du prøver at åbne, kræver Internet Explorer for at fungere korrekt og vil derfor ikke bruge den default browser." There is a problem with the grammar I think. It does open my Internet Explorer 8 after I press OK though.
I'm running PSI on a Windows 7 RC client.

3. PSI reports Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x (4.20.9818.0) as a unsecure program, but no fix is available.

Thanks for a great program.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 09:10
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 09:13
on 25th Jun, 2009 00:16, amhoyle wrote:
The "Secure Browsing" tab is still red coloured text. Should this be blue for the final release like all the other tab labels?

It should be Blue but for some reason PSI rates IE8 as CATEGORY 4 SECURITY THREAT! but the Secunia Advisory for IE8 is
(unknown source)
Most Critical Unpatched
The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Less critical

so PSI is just rating any IE as insecure and leaving the "Secure Browsing" tab red!
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/21625/?task=...

The new update is working fine otherwise.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Aravis RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 09:58
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Just installed this latest version. I had installed the beta version but uninstalled it after it couldn't connect to the Internet ( stuck on 'please wait while network connectivity is verified'). This final version is doing the same thing. It doesn't appear to be either the anti-virus or firewall; both have Secunia PSi as a safe application. I use AVG and Comodo.
I had no problems with the previous version, only the beta and stable versions of 1.5.
It means I can't get to the interface at all; it just hangs on this connectivity screen.
Anyone else?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
csi RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 10:14
Score: 7
User Since: 12th Aug 2008
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 10:15
on 25th Jun, 2009 02:53, Bundaburra wrote:
Why are both browsers "not secure for browsing", but one is "insecure, no solution" and the other is "patched"?

Did you realize the patching already or does it only say that a patch is provided? It should show Firefox in green, after you inserted all new versions and patches.

--
Cebop INN, Pentium M 740, 1733 MHz, 2 GB DDR2 SO-DIMM 533MHZ, XP SP3, PSI 2.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2009 11:44
Score: 2437
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 11:53
on 25th Jun, 2009 02:34, dunlappedover wrote:
TIPS FOR GREEN: Some programs don't uninstall the old executable properly. For instance - you may have a copy in a System Restore folder (make a new Restore and delete older Restore backups until it is gone); Java doesn't uninstall older versions (you have to remove older versions manually from Control Panel); Flash installer doesn't remove previous versions (you have to run a separate Flash uninstaller provided by the manufacturer first to clean the older version); etc.

If all normal uninstall or upgrade efforts fail to remove the offender: hover your cursor over the Insecure or End-Of-Life message on that tab and note the location and file name that pops up. Then click on the 'Open Folder Location' button (or whatever it is called) and find that file in that folder and delete just that file.

Just a couple of minor , but important points , are that:-
1)the file indicated in the folder is not always the one that Secunia use to chack the version ; this has been one of the problems in updating Adobe Reader 9 for example,
2)if you "delete" a file be 100% sure you don't need it & can restore if you you made a mistake. You could rename it , first off.

If it's just a cosmetic change from Green to Yellow and you want to keep the offending folder/file (for whatever reason) you can set an ignore rule.
I have had to do this for Media PLayer Classic , for example ; But you have to do your own update/checking.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 14:07
I have just fixed this problem; in case anyone else has it, I did a very thorough uninstall, especially in the Registry, with Revo uninstaller. Then installed it again, and it is OK now. I think it must ahve been a minor conflict with one of the older version's settings.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
StanD RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 15:02
User Since: 25th Aug 2008
Last edited on 27th Jun, 2009 15:07
Not really a 'reply' in that I want to say the same thing is happening to me.

Of course, 'the same thing' refers to version 1.0.0.4 being installed instead of 1.5.0. I have tried various forms of uninstal and instal, but still get the 1.0.0.4.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 15:19
on 25th Jun, 2009 09:58, Aravis wrote:
Just installed this latest version. I had installed the beta version but uninstalled it after it couldn't connect to the Internet ( stuck on 'please wait while network connectivity is verified'). This final version is doing the same thing. It doesn't appear to be either the anti-virus or firewall; both have Secunia PSi as a safe application. I use AVG and Comodo.
I had no problems with the previous version, only the beta and stable versions of 1.5.
It means I can't get to the interface at all; it just hangs on this connectivity screen.
Anyone else?

One of the reasons why I don't use Comodo is that it is rather dumb and has to be retrained for each application update.

Further reading why I do not use Comodo:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Comodo-Software-Rem...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2009/05/...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2009/05/...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 15:52
Anyone else?

I've had the same problem with both. What seems to work for me (which, I'll admit, isn't the way the install should work) is when it hangs like that to right-click the icon in the system tray and exit the application. Then I restart PSI via Start/All Programs. PSI restarts, and takes 10-30 seconds this time before up and running.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tony711sc RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 16:22
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
Congradualtions on the new release!

But there is a flaw in the program. I presumes that the program or utlity to be upgraded has been installed on Drive C:/. This is not always true. I (and many others) have large hard drives that have been partitioned. For reasons of security and ease of back-ups, I use DRV C:/ for OS's, their upgrades and pateches, and stupid applications that automatically self-intall only there, DRV D:/ is my dedicated Virtual Drive/Restore partition, DRV E:/ is where I install/run my programs/utilities, DRV F:/ is where I store my Docs, Data, and Downloads, DRV G:/ is my local Back-Up and DRV H:/ is my Work Area.

Currently, PSI somehow determines that I need to upgrade a program/utility and tries to install the "fix" on the program it presumes to be on DRV C:/ and not finding it there it posts an "error message" that says somthing about "not having access because of Administrative Controls" and quits. I have not set up any Administrative Controls on my computer since I am the only user.

One more step should be added to the "fix install" procedure where IF the program/utility cannot be found on DRV C:/, THEN the other Drives/Partitions should be searched for the program/utility to be fixed before QUIT.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 16:53
unsubscribe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
redleg RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 17:58
User Since: 12th Jun 2009
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 18:01
on 24th Jun, 2009 20:26, mweismer wrote:
Yes I have but that is not the issue. The file being downloaded is the wrong size. I used another machine and successfully got the file. This has happened with Secunia before, but never on any other download. I am a download wh**e and download tons of software without a problem

mweismer, I think that Big Dave's response was for someone else <g>

fwiw, I had this broken download issue too (and why it was easy to spot Heinz issue, btw Heinz, yvw!:). Using FireFox 3.5pre I would have to re-download 3-4x to get one complete file. I tried clearing cache, bypassing proxies, etc. Funny thing, I got it the first time (and tested it more than once) with Opera browser- if you both are using FF, perhaps that is the issue?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 19:01
on 25th Jun, 2009 05:03, dunlappedover wrote:
It sounds like maybe it is just running the first scan. It won't display the statistics until it has gathered them, and depending on the size of your system, that could take a while (10-15 minutes?). How long have you waited?

The message in the "barber pole' dialog box (of the previous version which exhibits the same issue) says it should take up to 10 SECONDS! I have let it run for as long as 5 HOURS but nothing happens.

MM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lindted RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 19:02
User Since: 16th Dec 2008
I am having trouble downloading this version. I start the download process and get the download window indicating I am downloading psisetup.exe It downloads very quickly and is only about 52 kbytes. When I try to run it, I get an error saying it is not a valid win32 application. I have tried downloading a couple of times. Help??
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 19:05
Anyone else?

Exactly! Yes, I too have the problem and reported it above. I'm running MSE beta. Hmmm, maybe that's the problem.
MM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 19:08
on 25th Jun, 2009 19:02, lindted wrote:
I am having trouble downloading this version. I start the download process and get the download window indicating I am downloading psisetup.exe It downloads very quickly and is only about 52 kbytes. When I try to run it, I get an error saying it is not a valid win32 application. I have tried downloading a couple of times. Help??

Quite a few people seem to have been having the same problem (so did I, for that matter). What seems to work is this: right click the set-up file and select 'save target as' and download it that way. Don't left-click the set-up file and try saving (or running it direct). Save it using 'save target as' when you right-click it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 19:13
For those having trouble with the interface hanging after installation, I can't promise this will work for you but it's worked for both of my personal pcs:

If/when it hangs (takes longer than, say, 2 minutes, and you just see the 'barber pole') right click the PSI icon in the system tray and exit the program. Wait until the interface window closes, then go to 'Start', then 'all programs'. Restart PSI from there.

All 4 times for me (either with the beta versions or the final release) I was able to get PSI to start after getting hung during the initial setup installation.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 19:16
on 25th Jun, 2009 14:07, Aravis wrote:
I have just fixed this problem; in case anyone else has it, I did a very thorough uninstall, especially in the Registry, with Revo uninstaller. Then installed it again, and it is OK now. I think it must ahve been a minor conflict with one of the older version's settings.

Unfortunately, Revo doesn't work on 64 bit systems. I tried using Vista's uninstaller but that didn't get it. Looks like a trip to the registry is in order unless Secunia can come up with something.

This is kinda disappointing, you know? I've been running PSI since the beginning, love it, great little program. Then suddenly .... bloooey!
MM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lakeland2008 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 20:34
User Since: 16th Apr 2008
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 20:41
Thank You for your hard work, and dedication to Security for your customers. I can't learn it all, but I too have things to bring to the table of commerce.
Stormin Norman a.k.a. David Norman
dnorman38@tampabay.rr.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lakeland2008 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 20:34
User Since: 16th Apr 2008
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 21:18
Thank You for your hard work, and dedication to Security for your customers. I can't learn it all, but I too have things to bring to the table of commerce.
Stormin Norman a.k.a. David Norman
dnorman38@tampabay.rr.com
I have Windows XP Pro, and my system is running fine, but I did get the best system I could afford.
Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 $229.97
AMD X2 4200 Processor $459.00
Corsair 2GB PC4000 XMS Kit $349.97
Seagate 80GB SATA 7200.7 5yw $94.97
Asus DVD+RW 16X DL Blk $99.97
Mitsumi 7-1 Card Reader Blk. $ 39.97
Razer Copperhead Blue mouse $79.99
MS Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM $189.97
Neon Crab Memory Coolers $24.97
Asus EN6600GT Silencer $269.97
Seagate 250GB SATA II 7200.9 8M $139.97 X3=$419.91
Ulead Video Studio 10.0 $129.97
Asus DVD+RW 16x DL Blk. $99.97
Symantec Norton IS 2006 $59.97 ( I do get the annual upgrade )
Antec TriCool 92mm Case Fan $19.97
Antec NEO HE 550Watt Power Supply $149.97
PowerColor Theater Pro 550 PCI $129.97
KDS LCD 22" K22MDWB DVI $320.97
APC Backup Battery 1500VA $249.97
Vantec Nexstar3 SATA/USB2.0 external HD $69.97 X3 $209.91
Verbatim InkJet Printable CD-R $34.97
Verbatim InkJet Printable DVD-R
Epson Stylus Photo R220 printer $129.97
Logitech Z-5500 Digital Surround Sound System $389.97
Manhatan Toslink Cable 10' $29.99
Over $4k
I had this system built for making DVD HD movies of my busiess.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fraserm RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 20:36
User Since: 28th Mar 2008
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2009 20:37
Hi. Just to add my 2 cents, I'm also getting the error message when trying to run the setup file on XP Pro, but it installed gorgeously on a Vista machine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
M.

BTW - I LOVE this software!!!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
paul100 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 25th Jun, 2009 22:00
User Since: 28th Nov 2008
un-subscribe, Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 22:45
For those of you who are trying to unsubscribe to this thread, you only get the unsubscribe link at the top of the thread page if you are logged in. To do that, click on the 'Secunia Profile' tab above next to the orange 'Forum' tab and log in, then click on the 'Forum' tab again and return to the thread, you will see the unsubscribe link and can click on it.

They should probably include that info in the emails about thread updates when you are subscribed to a thread.

Also, when posting a reply, there is a 'Subscribe to this thread' checkbox down below just above the [Reply] button, you can uncheck it if you don't want a zillion emails on thread updates.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pascal1947 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 26th Jun, 2009 01:21
Score: 2
User Since: 18th May 2008
System Score: 99%
That does not work for me. I haven't seen the PSI Interface screen for weeks now.

I get to the "Please wait while the Secunia PSI interface is loading. This is expected to last less than 10 seconds."

Ten seconds is way optimistic. I can wait for an hour and the interface never completes. I wish I knew what it was doing and why it was stuck. I watched it with Process Explorer. Its not as PSI is idle. Every now and then it manages to wake for tiny bit of processing. Whether it is making any headway or no, who can say? Are there any other ideas for getting out of this stuck state?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Contributor 26th Jun, 2009 01:57
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Here's my input FWIT. I opened my email this am & was notified by Secinia that v.1.5.0.0 stable was available for download. Right clicked on Secinia icon in systray & got the infamous "horizontal barber pole"-nothing happened for 2 mins.-tried again, same result-right clicked again & clicked Reload Interface-Viola!-it opened the interface. From there I joined the Forum to check things out-no problem. Closed Forum & back on my desktop right clicked Secunia icon & chose EXIT. Closed Eset Smart Security-firewall, A/V, & A/S. Went to Secunia download & downloaded v.1.5.0.0 Installer to desktop(by default). Opened Installer & merely followed the prompts to uninstall v.1.0.0.4 & install v.1.5.0.0. Not saying this works for everyone, but it did for me.

Regards & good luck, wr

PS Yes the world map found me, my score is still 100%, & IE8 is insecure, but I only use it when absolutly necessary, FF is default.

PPS Thanks Secunia Dev Team for a wonderful & easy to use tool.

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mweismer RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 26th Jun, 2009 03:05
on 25th Jun, 2009 17:58, redleg wrote:
mweismer, I think that Big Dave's response was for someone else <g>

fwiw, I had this broken download issue too (and why it was easy to spot Heinz issue, btw Heinz, yvw!:). Using FireFox 3.5pre I would have to re-download 3-4x to get one complete file. I tried clearing cache, bypassing proxies, etc. Funny thing, I got it the first time (and tested it more than once) with Opera browser- if you both are using FF, perhaps that is the issue?

Nope! IE8 here on 2 machines. Other machine had no issue, so I copied the file from there, but I'd love to know what this is about.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NathanG RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 26th Jun, 2009 04:48
User Since: 26th Jun 2009
Last edited on 26th Jun, 2009 07:46
As soon as I run PSI version 1.5, at least one of my Windows system sound settings is changed. Specifically, the “Start Navigation” sound (i.e., the familiar click associated with selecting a link in IE) is disabled. This is noticeable in both IE and Windows Explorer. At least some other, and possibly all other, event-triggered sounds do still function normally, and other audio functions seem to also function normally. The problem can be corrected by simply reapplying the correct settings in the Sounds control panel. However, the problem will recur each time the Secunia PSI application is restarted.

I did not encounter this problem with version 1.0.0.4 and reinstallation of version 1.0.0.4 also alleviated the problem.

I am using Vista x64.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2009 15:56
Not sure what's up, but yesterday I updated my Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard software, as new versions were available (Microsoft IntelliPoint 7.0 and IntelliType Pro 7.0). I got a balloon popup from PSI saying the older versions had been removed, but a current scan now shows no sign of the new versions; neither the IntelliPoint 7.0 nor the IntelliType Pro 7.0 programs appear.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cmorford RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 26th Jun, 2009 18:07
User Since: 10th Apr 2009
I'm having the same problem. I can't download 1.5

Chuck
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2009 18:33
You must Exit then uninstall 1.0.0.4 then upload 1.5

--

100% Securnia score
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ana RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 27th Jun, 2009 00:18
User Since: 28th Dec 2007
Last edited on 27th Jun, 2009 00:18
Yay, the WorldMap now puts me in New Zealand.....boo, it initially put me in Canterbury! I'm an Aucklander (Kiwis will get the irony). Easily fixed though. Your product rocks, many thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lwchk Patched programs with "Insecure, no solution"
Member 27th Jun, 2009 02:42
User Since: 3rd Feb 2008
In the new PSI, I just found that my IE appears as "Insecure, no solution" in the "Secure Browsing" tab. However, the program appears to be patched and be secure outside this tab.

I believe that the program should appear in tab "Insecure" in order NOT to give us a false sense of security.

BTW, with the presence of some math applications, I have got a few copies of insecure Java implementation which is not meant for browsing. And this makes my browsers appear to be "not secure for browsing".
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kratz13 NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 27th Jun, 2009 08:53
User Since: 1st Mar 2008
Just want to say good job! I always use PSI.
At one point when patching, it used to take forever to rescan one program. It was faster for me to do full system scans, but that no longer is the case.

The new feature for secure browsing is very helpful. Never fully realized how many things were hanging out in the internet browsers that could be security risks.

So thanks, and appreciate all the work you've done to create this.

Chris
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2009 12:30
I noted some people had downloaded a faulty version, so I downloaded anew. Result was the same 1.5 as I already had installed.

The Secunia interface will not load on my PC at all. The net effect is that I have a pointless barber pole utility installed. I shall uninstall and continue to monitor this forum for any suggestions or updates.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2009 14:00
If the old version is completely removed there should be no reason for the new not to load.

--

100% Securnia score
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2009 14:51
on 27th Jun, 2009 14:00, Old Phil wrote:
If the old version is completely removed there should be no reason for the new not to load.

That is the point, as I posted. The old version needs to be aggressively removed, rooting out all mention in the Registry. A good uninstaller should be used.
I don't say this will solve everyone's problem, but it did mine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2009 19:44
on 27th Jun, 2009 12:30, pascal1947 wrote:
I noted some people had downloaded a faulty version, so I downloaded anew. Result was the same 1.5 as I already had installed.

The Secunia interface will not load on my PC at all. The net effect is that I have a pointless barber pole utility installed. I shall uninstall and continue to monitor this forum for any suggestions or updates.

I reported this "barber pole utility" a ways back in this thread and have tried all the suggestions including the "aggressive uninstall" and the Flash uninstall/reinstall and have had NO LUCK! This is on a Vista 64 bit machine. I haven't dare try it on my XP machines.

I'm sincerely hoping that the good folks at Secunia will figure this out and re-release the download. For now I'm PSI-less on my primary machine. Com'on people, I think we have a problem here!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2009 20:01
Just a quick follow-up.

After weeks and weeks of not being able to get past the barber-pole, the Secunia Interface, without warning, suddenly loaded this morning.

I am thinking that since this was early Saturday morning, the Secunia servers were not bogged down like they might be during the week. If this is the case, I think Secunia needs to give some very, very serious thought to the way they manage access to the servers in order to initialize the Interface.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2009 21:32
by OldPhil on 26th Jun, 2009 18:33
You must Exit then uninstall 1.0.0.4 then upload 1.5

I have exited then uninstalled 1.0.0.4, download PSISetup.exe, but after going through all the stuff with wizards, I still get 1.0.0.4.
I have tried various assorted combinations of RegCure, MS DiscCleanup, and even search to make sure all references to secunia are removed, but all to no avail. I tried saving to Desktop and Running, evey combination I can think of. 1.0.0.4 is here to stay and I wouldn't mind so much but for it telling me EVERY time that there is an update available!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jjs RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 27th Jun, 2009 22:29
Score: 3
User Since: 14th Oct 2008
Last edited on 27th Jun, 2009 22:38
[quote=p7909]by OldPhil on 26th Jun, 2009 18:33
You must Exit then uninstall 1.0.0.4 then upload 1.5 [quote]

Hi, Stan,
I had problems loading the new 1.5 version from the e-mail I got. I cleared my browser and rebooted my PC. I then went to the PSI support/forum and read NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)by M.Hansen on 24th Jun, 2009 13:47 and downleaded the 1.5 release from his statement, "The moment you all have been waiting for: The PSI 1.5 (Stable Release) is now available for download!" Download it here: http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
I downloaded the new release from this link within the PSI forum and the program is up and running just fine. You don't need to uninstall ver 1.0.0.4 first. The ver 1.5 install wizard will tell you to shut down ver 1.0.0.4 program and then guide you throuth the uninstall and the new install. I hope this works as well for you as it did for me.

Dell Dimension E510
Windows XP Pro SP3

--
DELL Dimension E510 - X86-based PC
Time Zone: US Mountain Standard

There is nothing wrong with Change as long as it is in the right direction!
Winston Churchill.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jun, 2009 12:24
Last edited on 28th Jun, 2009 12:33
Thank you jjs, but that was the first thing I did and got ver 1.0.0.4. Then I tried all the variations I could think of and still every time it's 1.0.0.4. Sigh!
It worked fine on my laptop (Vista) which now has version 1.5.0, but my PC using XP3 home, has me beat.
Secunia Support said "Make sure that you are the only user logged on the system (the PSI may still be running on another user if the "Switch user" function has been used.)"
I replied that I was unsure of what that meant and could not find a 'Switch User' function, but have had no reply as yet.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Edouard RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 28th Jun, 2009 13:16
User Since: 28th Jun 2009
I also had the problem where this new version of PSI changed the Windows sound for "Start Navigation". I could edit the sound scheme, but on reboot the problem recurred. Uninstalling PSI solved the problem.

--
Dell XPS 410
4 MB RAM
Vista Home Premium SP2 with IE8
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jjs RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 28th Jun, 2009 22:54
Score: 3
User Since: 14th Oct 2008
on 28th Jun, 2009 12:24, StanD wrote:
Thank you jjs, but that was the first thing I did and got ver 1.0.0.4. Then I tried all the variations I could think of and still every time it's 1.0.0.4. Sigh!
It worked fine on my laptop (Vista) which now has version 1.5.0, but my PC using XP3 home, has me beat.
Secunia Support said "Make sure that you are the only user logged on the system (the PSI may still be running on another user if the "Switch user" function has been used.)"
I replied that I was unsure of what that meant and could not find a 'Switch User' function, but have had no reply as yet.

Search your computer for instructions on how to sign on as "Administrator." If you are not the only one using your pc that may be your problem. I hope this helps
JJS

--
DELL Dimension E510 - X86-based PC
Time Zone: US Mountain Standard

There is nothing wrong with Change as long as it is in the right direction!
Winston Churchill.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jun, 2009 14:28
At Last!! I kept getting ver.1.0.0.4 then I remembered I had another old laptop on the router, so I went to it, downloaded Secunia and got ver 1.5.0 no trouble! I returned to my PC tried downloading Secunia for the umpteenth time and Lo & behold, I had ver 1.5.0, no problem!

Sorry, Morten Hansen of Support for the number of times you tried to help me and sorry for taking up so much of the forum.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DAVID BINKO RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 3rd Jul, 2009 21:07
User Since: 23rd Jun 2009
It appears that I am one of many who had trouble getting the new PSI
release downloaded, getting the now infamout NSIS error statement.
If it matters, my browser is IE8. I tried first-round overkill:
1. Uninstall old Secunia PSI
2. Deleted temporary files
3. Bypassed browser cache
The new PSI then downloaded/installed just fine.
I should mention: Windows XP Home, SP3, clean install in May after major
crash.
Thanks to the Forum members, that's where the solution ultimately came from.
Dave Binko

--
Dave Binko, a.k.a. Crash Computer
Windows XP Home Edition,SP3 (build 2600)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor: 1.9Ghz,896 MB RAM
Micro-Star International, Ltd MS-7253 1.00
Built by RJ Ender, Cedar Rapids, IA, July 2007
O.S. clean installed May 2009 after 2nd crash this year
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Arenlor RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 3rd Jul, 2009 23:49
Score: -58
User Since: 30th May 2009
on 24th Jun, 2009 17:06, MaritimeRider wrote:
Downloaded secunia 1.5 after deleting secunia beta.
After install I am being told a patch has been applied to firefox. Problem is, I do not have firefox running on my computer and never did. What's up?

See http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread....

--
Helping Secunia not be Scareware.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Arbyritt RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 7th Jul, 2009 02:57
User Since: 10th Nov 2008
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2009 03:11
Ever since I installed this, it runs very slowly, and takes a couple of minutes to verify connection (instead of 10 seconds) then Windows XP keeps poppoing up a message that 'a script is running very slowly' and asking me if I want to shut it down before it disables my machine. When I try to delete old files on external hard drives (ie. old versions of Adobe Reader) Secunia PSI hangs up and becomes unresponsive after 2 or 3 of them. I have to shut it down and restart it.

Is there a fix for this?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jul, 2009 18:16
I've re-installed PSI , just once so far. I found it necessary to use
a software extractor, I use Revo Uninstaller, as PSI has been a bit
difficult to remove. My experience is also that PSI has rather slow reflexes and does run slowly for me, too. I'm the last guy on earth
who should be counceling patience as I am a quick-react sort. On the other hand, I have had PSI go berserk by my moving too soon, and when it does, all I can do is reboot. The flip side of Secunia PSI for me
is that I am getting rid of a boar's nest of duplicate and corrupted
program files.( This is tongue in cheek, but) it may be that the best cure for most PSI quirks could be Valium.
Windows XP Home,SP3
Clean Installed end of May 2009,
Because I crashed my computer in the grand manner, for the second time this year. Don't use ME as your guru.

Dave Binko

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jul, 2009 14:24
on 7th Jul, 2009 02:57, Arbyritt wrote:
Ever since I installed this, it runs very slowly, and takes a couple of minutes to verify connection (instead of 10 seconds) then Windows XP keeps poppoing up a message that 'a script is running very slowly' and asking me if I want to shut it down before it disables my machine. When I try to delete old files on external hard drives (ie. old versions of Adobe Reader) Secunia PSI hangs up and becomes unresponsive after 2 or 3 of them. I have to shut it down and restart it.

Is there a fix for this?

The first thing that comes to mind is how much RAM does the system have?

Next what is the processor type and speed?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
L.J. RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 10th Jul, 2009 20:57
User Since: 9th Apr 2008
Have been getting alerts that 1.0 is now available. Cannot downloaded it fully. I get only 64kb or so. Popup box says to come back to you for a solution!
By the way, where here does one register to get a forum username and password.
Thanks,
L.J. 7/10/09 2:55 p.m.EST
Was this reply relevant?
+0
L.J. RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 10th Jul, 2009 22:06
User Since: 9th Apr 2008
To M.Hansen.

Please disregard my earlier post!

I found I could download and install 1.5 by not Saving" but going to "Run" instead. Worked fine that way.

Also I "fooled around" and found out how to register for the forum, so I got that done, too. Maybe you need some instructions here on how a person can establish a username,password, etc. for the forum. It isn't real clear on your website.

Sincerely,
L.J. 7/10/09 4:05 EST
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jul, 2009 23:00
Last edited on 10th Jul, 2009 23:10
on 8th Jul, 2009 14:24, wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is how much RAM does the system have?

Next what is the processor type and speed?

(1) 2040 Megabytes Installed Memory (RAM)

(2) 2.2Ghz Intel Core2 Duo E4500

830.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

468.26 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Secunia hangs up so long that Windows classifies it as 'Not Responding', even when it is the only app running.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
George99 RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 14th Jul, 2009 09:45
User Since: 13th Jul 2009
on 25th Jun, 2009 19:01, mmcguirk wrote:
The message in the "barber pole' dialog box (of the previous version which exhibits the same issue) says it should take up to 10 SECONDS! I have let it run for as long as 5 HOURS but nothing happens.

MM

Found this on the thread "Unable to get PSI to connect" it helped me as you can see.

(unknown source)
Thanks for the thought provoking idea.

Since I have installed the latest MS Internet Browser fixes and tweaking as described in one of the recent Windows Secrets news letters I opted NOT to default everything.

What I did was fire up IE

Then: Tools/ Internet Options/ Security/ Trusted Sites/

Click on Sites and added:

http://*.secunia.com/
https://*.secunia.com/

After weeks and weeks of frustration trying to get v1.5 to work (including uninstalling and reverting to the previous beta whcih worked OK) the solution described above worked.

As Secunia states IE is a vulnerability it seems strange that it forces use of it in this way. I do not use IE for anything othert than poorly built sites that will not recognise stndards-based broiwsers (e.g. Opera)

Thanks for the good advice

Now PSI works both under my user and the admin user.

Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jul, 2009 08:50
I have decided to get rid of PSI and revert to OSI. PSI runs so slowly that I can't stand it, and it finds things in recycle bins on external drives, and tells me they are dangerous. It found over 100 of them, and every time I deleted one of them, PSI hung up for about 10 minutes before I could get to the next one. I can't figure out why.

Another annoyance: When I get rid of something, it pops up a message noting the removal, but it does not remove (or flag) it from the most recent scan, which continues to declare the removed item to be a menace.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oy... RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Member 15th Jul, 2009 13:19
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
That sounds weird. On my PC the PSI has always run pretty fast, and the latest version is even faster.
Are you aware of the button "open folder"? You can see it if you use the advanced interface. That will bring you directly to the detected file. If it cannot be uninstalled you may need to remove it manually. That should solve it.

The PSI should not detect anything in any ordinary recycle bin. If you look at the path of the detected file you will probably see that it looks different than a normal path to a recycle bin. But anyway, deleting the file should solve the problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jul, 2009 01:11
This is where I put in my two cents worth in. I've reinstalled PSI twice, and now it's behaving for the time being. I can't really speak to how difficult PSI is to get rid of, because I've used Revo Uninstaller to remove it both times.
That way it comes out with consumate ease. I haven't found any exotic threats from who-knows-where. Every time I've checked out a PSI installation path it checked out on my machine. I've found lots of spooky stuff, but it's all real.
That said, I didn't reinstall it twice for nothing.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jul, 2009 23:56
Last edited on 17th Jul, 2009 00:10
Arbyritt, I mentioned earlier that I reinstalled PSI twice. The first two installs started fine but went to pot over a day or two. Once it did what yours is doing, more or less, and once it started locking up the computer at the drop of a hat. The third (current) install has been fine for about two weeks. Don't give up just yet. When it's right, it works like no other.
-HBR- refers to the "Open File" button. In my own case it's the single most useful feature in the program if you go by how much I use it.
It's probably superstition, but when I've altered programs I reboot before I scan on PSI. To me at least it seems as if the final version of what you did is more apt to show up on the PSI scan that way. Comments, anybody?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: NEW PSI RELEASE (1.5 Stable.)
Contributor 20th Jul, 2009 03:10
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
OK, I've been all over the forum. I've even put out a couple threads of my own. I have given up. There is no answer unless Secunia comes up with PSI 1.6.

Version 1.0.0.4 worked fine on both of my systems. Yes it locked up my system when doing a scan, but so what? When I'm doing maintenance who cares? Just shut it off if it's messing up something your doing.

I had a terrible time installing 1.5 on both machines. The beta installed 1st time on the Acer (didn't install on HP). See the previous posts by various users. I had most of the same problems.

As far as the barber pole issue, I also tried every tip & suggestion. The only thing that works is repeated attempts. After 4 or 5 tries I can get PSI to load. Starting PSI before I connect to the internet and start my security software seems to help. When it tells you there's a problem with your internet connection then you connect! I'm on dial-up, there dosn't seem to be a problem on DSL wireless connections (so far).

PSI is a great program, it provides a valuble service. For the price, the use of Secunia's expertise is invaluble. I suppose we shouldn't complain. However, the fine folks at Secunia should remember: The reason you offer this service for free, is to ultimately make OSI more effective. You remember OSI? The stuff that pays the bills! If all of us little guys are more secure, there's less incentive for bad guys to do bad thing to computers.

Please Secunia, just acknowledge the problem and let us know when we can expect a fix.

kind regards;
Fred

HAL-3000 (re: A Space Oddesy: 2001) is:
HP Pavillion dv9000
Intel Centrino Duo, T7200 2 core, 2.0 GHz
2 GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce, Go 7600, 512 MB
XP Pro, build 5.1.2600 sp3
Security software: Webroot Security Essentials
Internet browser: IE8 (I know, I know)
Internet connetion: Netscape dial-up

HAL-Jr. is:
Acer Aspire One
Intel Atom, N270 2 core, 1.6 GHz
1 GB of RAM
Intel, 945 Express Chipset
XP Home, build 5.1.2600 sp3
Security software: Webroot Security Essentials
Internet browser: IE8
Internet connetion: Netscape dial-up

PS: I don't usually post all this info about my computers, but since I'm going on & on, why not!?

PPS: HAL-Jr dosn't count because he's so tiny. HAL-3000 is my third computer. If you remember the movie, when I get to HAL-9000 we're all in trouble!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2009 03:56
Hello thedillpickl,

Your drop line about having fewer installation problems with DSL than dial-up makes me wonder if that's why I have fewer installation troubles
than so many people with PSI 1.5. The local DSL service has a good reputation with it's users, and maybe this time I got lucky. On the other hand, it does nothing to explain why I have to uninstall/reinstall about once a week. I sometimes wonder if 1.5 "Stable" is just a trifle optimistic. I use it a lot and like it a lot, but it's temperamental.
You list quite an arsenal. I am humble in that regard. If equipment were the answer you should be doing better than I. That doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe "1.5.1" will be better behaved? I wish you luck, though that's about all I have to offer. If you can crack your problem you will probably have forum members dancing in the street-including me.
FYI, in my rural German-Czech home range in eastern Iowa the dill pickle has a long and honorable history in the soul food aisle wherever
groceries are sold.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2009 04:35
Last edited on 20th Jul, 2009 04:53 Fred, I had a look around for information about Webroot Security Essentials as I am not familiar with it and found this:
Cons
Firewall failed port-scan tests and exploit test; pops up many queries. Anomaly detection lacks intelligent analysis. No antispam, privacy protection, or parental control. Has a negative impact on performance.

But despite its slimmed-down component list, the suite exerts a measurable drag on performance, and the firewall is headed in the wrong direction.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333153,00.as...

Based on the tests performed by various testing labs, the Webroot’s Security suite fared better than the Trend Micro Pro. The Trend Micro performed worst among all the security suites when tested for malware detection capabilities. So, the Webroot stands second last among all the security suites which means that the Webroot Internet Security Essentials is not a good option for protecting your system.

The Webroot not only performed poor in malware detection capabilities but its performance was also poor when it was tested against the unknown files.

http://www.technotalks.com/reviews/webroot-interne...

Use Google to find other references.

I do not like suites as they tend to be bloated and have performance issues.

I think the main issue is with dial-up as PSI needs to be kept up to date with its latest information from Secunia and the file needed would take a while to download on dial-up.

There is nothing wrong with IE8 as I use it all the time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability