Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: My Secunia PSI interface will not load

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
musicjunkie70 My Secunia PSI interface will not load
Member 25th Jun, 2009 21:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
This is a long story, so please bear with me.

This is the first time I have posted to this forum (and only the third time I have ever posted to a forum), so if I have done anything wrong with my post or started this thread in the wrong Secunia forum, please let me know.

On June 23, 2009, at about 1:15 a.m. my time, I installed Advanced SystemCare Free 3.3.2 (ASC) on my computer. I created a system restore point using Windows System Restore before I did the install of ASC. The install went smoothly. Immediately after the install, ASC prompted me to let it create a restore point, which I allowed it to do, after which ASC launched a scan. After ASC finished its scan, I saved a report, through ASC, of the registry entries to be fixed and clicked on the ASC Repair button.

Shortly after the ASC Repair process completed, a script debugger window for the Secunia PSI program psi.exe popped up. I've never used and never needed to use a script debugger on my computer and I don't know anything about scripts. I tried to get out of the debugger, but it wouldn't let me until I terminated the Secunia PSI. I started up the Secunia PSI (I was running version 1.0.0.4) again, but it was unable to load its interface, and the debugger window popped up again. I had to terminate the Secunia PSI again to be able to close the debugger. I have never had a problem with the Secunia PSI, and I know for sure that it was working minutes before I installed ASC. I can't recall, but it may have even acknowledged that I had just added ASC to my computer, which I believe it would have done if it was still working at that time. What I do know for sure is that it stopped working shortly after I ran the ASC Repair. I'm not currently aware of any other software I have that doesn't work properly or at all, including what safety software (e.g., my firewall, anti-virus, and spyware protection) on my computer may have been compromised, and I'm afraid I may never completely know.

To try to resolve the problem with the Secunia PSI, I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but I got the same results. I then uninstalled ASC, but the problem with the Secunia PSI persisted. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the Secunia PSI again, and once again the results were the same, i.e., the Secunia PSI interface wouldn't load, the script debugger window popped up, and I had to terminate the Secunia PSI to get out of the debugger. I checked out the Secunia PSI support forum most of the day, and there were no reports of any problems with that software. I tried running the Secunia online scan, and it worked. On June 24, 2009, I installed new Secunia PSI version 1.5.0.0, but it still doesn't work, so it looks like it depends on something in the registry that has been "fixed" by ASC. I rely heavily on the Secunia PSI, so I need to get it working again.

When the problem with the Secunia PSI started occurring on my computer shortly after the ASC Repair, I tried to restore my system from the restore point I created before I installed ASC, but I got a message informing me that the restore would not be performed because nothing had changed on my system since that restore point was created. I'm not exactly sure what a system restore does. Should the system restore I attempted to run have recognized changes to my system from the install of ASC and undid the damage done by ASC? Is it possible that ASC changed something in my registry that now prevents me from being able to restore my system from a restore point? I even tried reinstalling Java, but the Java web site informed me that I have the latest version of Java and that it is working normally as per the Java Verification Page test.

I should point out that something unexpected happened when the initial ASC scan was running. My Spyware Terminator Real-Time Shield blocked the scan's access to dozens upon dozens of my computer files. If the scan was not able to access these files, registry entries may have been falsely marked to be fixed. If this is the case, there isn't a way to restore the affected registry entries because ASC doesn't have a registry backup or restore feature.

I am absolutely convinced that ASC, or at least its scan and repair process (I fear ASC "fixed" something in the registry that shouldn't have been "fixed"), is the cause (with possibly the help of Spyware Terminator) of the script debugger window popping up and preventing my Secunia PSI from working. I have contacted the ASC software vendor IObit about this issue via the IObit.com forum, and all that has been offered me is that I may have to reload my computer from scratch, an option which I consider a last resort.

Restoring my computer from scratch is a last resort because I have very little money and live on a small fixed income, so I can't afford the expense of paying someone to do or help me do the restore since it is something about which I am not knowledgeable. I don't want to make a bad situation even worse by taking extreme measures to do something I don't know how to do and that may not be necessary. Is there a way to determine how much damage was done to my registry so that I can make an informed decision on how to go about repairing it? Is there a scan and repair function on the Windows XP install disc? I want to be able to determine exactly what damage has been done to my system registry by ASC so that I can make an informed decision on how to repair it, even if it is determined that I have to reformat my hard drive and reload my operating system and all of my software and data, which would be a daunting task considering how much software and data I have. But before I consider doing anything, I need to know just how much damage was done by ASC.

At this stage, I would just like to repair the damage to my system registry that is preventing my Secunia PSI from working. As of this writing, all I get is the following message when I try to start the Secunia PSI: "Please wait while the Secunia PSI interface is loading. This is expected to last less than 10 seconds." I've waited as long as 30 minutes. This is all that happens now when I start the Secunia PSI. I don't even get the script debugger window anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be missing or corrupted in my system registry that needs to be restored in order for my Secunia PSI to work and how to undo the registry damage?

About my computer:

I have a Dell XPS 400 computer with Intel Core 2 Duo processors (Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz). I have 3GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive. My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. My version of Windows is fully up to date except for Service Pack 3 and Internet Explorer 7.0 (I have 6.0). My default browser is Mozilla Firefox 3.0.11, and my e-mail client is Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.22. My anti-virus software is AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. My firewall is ZoneAlarm Free Edition. I have a slew of other computer protection software.

Please let me know if you need any more information about my computer or information about other software I have installed on it.

musicjunkie70 RE: My Secunia PSI interface will not load
Member 26th Jun, 2009 19:44
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
I have a follow-up question to my initial post. Does Secunia PSI have a dependency on Microsoft Internet Explorer? I have determined that Advanced SystemCare Free 3.3.2 corrupted my Internet Explorer and RealPlayer registry entries.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Old Phil RE: My Secunia PSI interface will not load
Member 26th Jun, 2009 23:33
Score: -1
User Since: 19th Apr 2009
I can not offer more then to say do a system restore to a day or two prior to your problem, in the mean time one of the techs may have a fix for you.

Phil

--
Home built fairly loaded box ASRock ConRoe1333-D667, 3.4 Intel Dual core, 2G ram, XP Home SP3 Linksys WRT160Nv2 router

733 Dell 512MB ram XP Pro SP3
Acer Aspire One baby lap top

100% Securnia score
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2009 00:14
As I noted in my original post:

"I tried to restore my system from the restore point I created before I installed ASC, but I got a message informing me that the restore would not be performed because nothing had changed on my system since that restore point was created. I'm not exactly sure what a system restore does. Should the system restore I attempted to run have recognized changes to my system from the install of ASC and undid the damage done by ASC? Is it possible that ASC changed something in my registry that now prevents me from being able to restore my system from a restore point?"

As regards my second post, does Secunia PSI have a dependency on Microsoft Internet Explorer? I ask this because I have determined that Advanced SystemCare definitely corrupted the registry entries for my Internet Explorer 6.0 browser -- it's lost a lot of functionality, including ignoring changes I make to settings and preventing me from downloading -- and that I will have to reinstall it, once I figure out how to do it and still retain my Internet Explorer settings, start page, bookmarks, toolbars, plugins, and anything else I can't think of right now. Can someone give me some suggestions on how I can do this? Can I reinstall Internet Explorer without uninstalling it (some software vendors have installers that treat this type of install as a repair-only install). Where do I need to reinstall Internet Explorer from, e.g., the original Microsoft Windows XP install disc (I believe I have it, but I would have to apply all of the Microsoft patches issued for it since the creation of the disc), the Microsoft web site, or some other source? If Secunia PSI is dependent on Internet Explorer and/or its settings, then maybe reinstalling Internet Explorer on my computer will resolve the problem (loading the interface) I am having with Secunia PSI. As I said in my original post, I uninstalled and reinstalled my Secunia PSI version 1.0.0.4, to no avail, and I even installed new version 1.5.0.0, to no avail.

Please be aware that my computer experience is, at best, average.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
julio99 RE: My Secunia PSI interface will not load
Member 27th Jun, 2009 18:19
User Since: 25th Jun 2009
Last edited on 27th Jun, 2009 18:20
If you want to un install IE6 that shouldn't be a problem. The IE6 and 7 downloads are available at the Microsoft Download Center. The way you spoke of system restore not working for you is strange. I use Acronis True Image Home 11 myself as I've run into squirrely situations like yourself and was unable to get my system back to normal. Now Acronis takes it back for me without a whine. You may try using Google for some of your questions too. You wouldn't beleive how many people have the same problems as you. You may want to lighten up a little on some of the security software you're running. A firewall an AV and maybe a Anti Spyware program. Anything more is overkill and remember that some of these security programs don't play nice with each other. Good Luck.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: My Secunia PSI interface will not load
Member 27th Jun, 2009 20:00
Last edited on 27th Jun, 2009 20:01 musicjunkie70, why don't you want to install Windows Service Pack 3 that has been available for a year and contains several Critical Security updates plus performance improvements?

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Also you should enable Automatic Updates or at least be notified that Updates are available.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

IE8 is equal to Firefox and has many nice built in features that Firefox needs a plethora of ad-ons to match:
Accelerators
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer...
Stay Safer Online
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer...

Install User Profile Hive Cleanup Service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems:
http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details.aspx?fa...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jun, 2009 01:05
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2009 19:12
My Secunia PSI interface is loading now without any changes being made by me to my computer system. OldPhil stated in his post that one of the techs may have a fix for me, so I'm wondering if a fix was supplied on Secunia's end. Is this the case?

There are still some issues that may or may not be related to my fixed Secunia PSI. My Secunia PSI is warning me that my Mozilla Thunderbird is insecure because the version it detects as being installed on my computer is 2.0.0.21, but the version that is installed on my computer is 2.0.0.22, which is that latest version and which I installed on June 23 after the damage done to my system registry by Advanced SystemCare (ASC). My Secunia PSI is also giving me insecure browser warnings. It's warning me that my Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x browser is insecure with a minimum of 2 critical attack vectors (Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x and RealPlayer 11.x), my Mozilla Firefox 3.x browser is insecure with a minimum of 1 critical attack vector (RealPlayer 11.x), and my Opera 9.x browser is insecure with a minimum of 1 critical attack vector (RealPlayer 11.x). The status of all the critical attack vectors is listed by my Secunia PSI as "Insecure, no solution," even though my Secunia PSI considers my Internet Explorer and RealPlayer programs as patched. I'm assuming this is happening because my system registry for those two programs was damaged by ASC. I'm also assuming that these insecure browser issues will be resolved by reinstalling the two programs. Are my assumptions correct?

In addition to all of the problems that I know are directly related to ASC, my computer has started crashing, garbage appears on my screen during the reboot process every time I reboot, my automatic weekly AVG Anti-Virus scan -- the first scan since I installed ASC and ran the initial ASC scan and repair -- failed before it was able to do anything because the scan log was damaged, and my Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client is not functioning properly. Even though I cannot attribute these new problems directly to ACS, the coincidence is suspicious. My Secunia PSI is not indicating any problems with my AVG Anit-Virus or my operating system.

julio99:

I hear you when you say that some security programs don't play nice with each other. It was Spyware Terminator not playing nice with ASC that caused the problems with my Secunia PSI and my system registry. Is Spyware Terminator not playing nice with ASC the cause of the problems you say so many other people are having like me? As for the system restore I attempted using a restore point I created via Windows System Restore before I installed ASC, should I have been able to restore my system using that restore point and undo all the damage caused by ASC? If yes, then maybe ASC caused damage to my system registry that is preventing me from doing system restores. Is that possible? Does Microsoft have any scan and repair software that finds and fixes problems with the operating system, especially the system registry? Also, if I uninstall IE 6 and reinstall it or install IE 7 instead, what will happen to my IE 6 settings, start page, bookmarks, toolbars, and plugins? I've had situations where the system registry was damaged for a program I was trying to uninstall, preventing me from uninstalling it. In those situations, I tried reinstalling the program again, and it corrected the registry problem, allowing me to uninstall the program. What would happen if I tried to install IE 6 or IE 7 without uninstalling IE 6? Remember, I'm not a computer geek, so I don't want to make things more difficult than I have to and cause myself more headaches.

YoKenny:

According to Windows Secrets newsletter, which I subscribe to, "XP Service Pack 3 is an unremarkable update for everyone except network admins, who will appreciate the additional control over wired and wireless connections offered by SP3's Network Access Protection" and "From the moment Microsoft released it, Service Pack 3 for Windows XP has been the subject of almost daily reports of bugs, incompatibilities, and general headaches."

Here's more from Windows Secrets on SP3:

"In light of these and other problems, you may wonder whether you ever want SP3 at all, especially given that many of its enhancements focus on networking and IT-level administration."

"If you think you might require Microsoft's assistance to install SP3, you need to add the service pack before April 2009, when the company will end such support. And because overall support for SP2 expires in early 2010, you'll need to have SP3 installed by that date if you want general support for XP."

I'm a little late to take advantage of Microsoft's assistance to install SP3.

I'm not a computer geek, so with all the problems I've been having lately with my computer, why should I take the chance of installing Service Pack 3? I don't need any more problems. Maybe after all of my current problems are resolved and before 2010, I'll install Service Pack 3.

I have always had Windows Automatic Updates set to "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them." I used to have it set to "Automatic (recommended)," but some of the updates disabled my firewall and anti-virus. I now wait for Windows Secrets newsletter to tell me when Microsoft updates are safe to install. I always eventually install all Windows critical updates except for Service Pack 3.

As for IE 8, here's just some of what Windows Secrets has to say about it:

"When you choose a browser, your first consideration should be security. There's no doubt that Internet Explorer is the target of more malware than any other piece of software. In fact, using IE is like painting a bull's-eye on your forehead and walking into a war zone.

"Even though IE 8 adds some useful security features, its continued reliance on ActiveX makes the browser vulnerable in its very foundation. This lack of security is a primary reason many people have stopped using IE.

"Security isn't the only factor causing Web denizens to flock to alternative browsers. For years, Internet Explorer's page rendering has caused major headaches for Web developers and users alike. Some pages that look and function as designers intended in Firefox, Opera, and other third-party browsers have their layouts broken when rendered by Internet Explorer.

"IE 8 makes an effort to improve compatibility but ultimately falls short.

"Performance is another area where IE has trailed the competition. Just as IE 7 runs faster than IE 6, the new version 8 is quicker than its predecessor. However, early tests indicate that IE 8 is still much slower than other browsers."

"Microsoft would have us believe that speed isn't very important when it comes to page surfing. (Considering the miserable performance of previous versions of IE, that's understandable.) In fact, the company's IE 8 documentation states: "Ease and speed in the real world are measured in minutes, not milliseconds." I guess that's Microsoft's pre-emptive defense against browser-speed test results.

"Computerworld's JavaScript-performance tests show that Google Chrome is four times faster at JavaScript rendering than IE 8. In the same tests, Firefox 3.0.7 was 59% faster than IE 8 when rendering JavaScript on pages, Safari 47% faster, and Opera 38% faster.

"So, does JavaScript rendering speed really matter? If you visit 50 such pages, and if they take an average of 2 seconds each to load, you'll spend an extra 60 seconds waiting in IE 8 than you would in Firefox. Over the course of a year, that's 6 hours of wasted time.

"Of course, if you surf more than 50 pages a day, you could be wasting even more time with IE 8. In the business world, time is money, but time's even more precious in your private life. A browser's speed definitely matters a lot!

"There's no doubt that IE 8 is a much better browser than IE 7. Nevertheless, it's still inferior to Firefox and other alternatives. As to whether you should upgrade to IE 8 now or later, my advice is to use Firefox instead of either version.

"If you must use Internet Explorer, I suggest you wait at least a month two months would be better before upgrading to IE 8. (If you're still using IE 6, however, install version 7 right away, for the sake of your security as well as for the added performance.)

"Why do I think you should wait? At present, only a fraction of Windows users worldwide participated in the IE 8 beta. Now that the browser has been released to the public, it will be put through the wringer even more strenuously. When that happens, problems are bound to surface. For example, we've already received a few reports of odd page-load behavior in IE 8 on Vista systems. And, bizarrely, some IE 8 installations revert to IE 7 after loading Windows hotfixes.

"Furthermore, the bad guys are bound to start banging on the new browser even harder to unleash new exploits. Let some of that play out before you jump into IE 8 with both feet. Unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade to IE 8, just relax, wait, and watch what unfolds."

I surf a lot more than 50 pages a day. As I stated in my initial post, Firefox is my default browser.

I'm not clear what the Microsoft Install User Profile Hive Cleanup Service is all about and how it will help me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2009 00:45
I'm trying to answer your questions as I read. As far as I know Microsoft doesn't have any scan and repair tools. Vista has a startup repair, but if I understand right you are using XP. Now as for System Restore. Try using SR from Safe Mode. I've been doing some reading and a lot of the people that were also having problems with SR used Safe Mode and it worked fine. If you don't know how to get into Safe Mode just Google Safe Mode Instructions for XP and you'll find a guide. I've got dinner on the stove right now, so Im gonna cut this short'I'll read more of your post after dinner and see if there's more I missed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2009 00:54
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2009 01:05
After spending over three hours on the phone today with Dell Technical Support, we determined that I am going to have to reformat my hard drive and reload my operating system and all my third party software and data to fix my system registry, which was badly corrupted by the Advanced SystemCare scan and repair feature. I've never done this before, so this should be interesting. I will be doing this with the help of Dell Customer Support in a couple of days from now. The system registry is so badly corrupted that Windows System Restore, Add/Remove Programs, and Internet Explorer don't work, not even in Safe Mode. There is probably much more that doesn't work, but those three things not working are bad enough. After I reinstall my operating system, I will reinstall Secunia PSI and it should hopefully be fixed and running normally.

ASC does not play well with Spyware Terminator, so if you have both installed on your system like I do, then ASC is fatally dangerous to your system. Spyware Terminator is great at protecting your system files, but it doesn't protect your system registry. ASC doesn't protect anything, and it doesn't have a backup or restore capability for registry entries it marks for deletion and deletes. It can create a system restore point before you allow it to delete registry entries it has marked for deletion, but that doesn't do any good if the deletion of the entries prevents Windows System Restore from being able to work, which is what happened to me. ASC may work fine with Spyware Terminator if the latter's Real-Time Shield is permanently disabled, but that would render Spyware Terminator useless. The bottom line is don't have ASC and Spyware Terminator installed on your system at the same time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2009 01:25
I'm not going to tell you what to use on your system, but I went to look at ASC on it's site and the reviews were pretty good for it, however it also has a AV or Spyware search program with it that can and probably will cause problems for you. Slim down your security software. Especially anything running in real time. That's what causes problems. CCleaner is a good small utility program to clean up the junk on your system. You asked me if you can install IE7 right over top of IE6. I think you're looking for problems doing that. Get rid of the one completely before you install anything else. I also use Firefox as my default browser, but I had a bad habit of loading add ons to make it pretty and everything else, but all I did was slow it down. Got rid of everything I didn't need and now it's fine. When you uninstall a program, go to the program files and delete the folder of the program that you uninstalled if it's still there. That can cause grief sometimes too. I told you to run the System Restore in Safe Mode if it doesn't work normal. That restore point that you created before the ASC thing was the one you would've wanted to use, but if it didn't work you'll have to do another even earlier one if you can. I hope I've helped a little if at all and feel free to ask me anything. If I know it, you got it. I'm not an XP user. I have Vista installed, so there are a few differences, but a lot of the things are in both OS's.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2009 01:33
Right after I write all that my computer blinked and I found your update about re-formatting. It's a pretty easy proccess to do, especially if you have a recovery disk for your OS. It's just a pain in the ass re installing everything. I think I mentioned I use Acronis True Image 11 for my backups with an external hard drive, so if something goes haywire I can get it all back in less than an hour. I love it and would never use a computer without it again. I've had problems as bad or worse than you so I know what trouble is. Good luck and let me know how it all turns out.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2009 03:16
julio99:

I did try using a much earlier restore point than the one I created before installing ASC, but it made no difference, i.e., my system did not recognize any system changes from the much earlier restore point. My system registry is apparently way too corrupted.

Are you recommending I not use Spyware Terminator, which has a real-time shield employing HIPS and Clam Antivirus? If I didn't have it, my only real-time protection would be my ZoneAlarm Firewall Free Edition and my AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. Is that sufficient? What I like about Spyware Terminator is that blocks third party software access to system files, which is what caused ASC to delete my system registry entries for those files. It even has a web security guard, which I don't currently use because I already have enough software guarding my web surfing and searches.

Can you recommend a better free firewall than ZoneAlarm and a better free anti-virus than AVG? I used to have the pay-to-use McAfee Internet Security Suite, but McAfee applied an automatic update to it that nearly destroyed my system. McAfee Tech Support couldn't help me after 3 months of consulting with them, so I uninstalled their software and then undid as much of the damage to my system as I could. I had had the McAfee software for only 6 months of my 3 year subscription, so I requested a refund from them, which they said they would give me but never did. This is why I don't like having to pay for software unless I absolutely have to. The McAfee Internet Security Suite has so many hooks into a system that I spent the next 2 years finding and having to uninstall more and more of the suite manually. I tried using McAfee SiteAdvisor, but aside from it being immensely inaccurate, it screwed up my system, causing me to have to do a system restore and manually uninstall it because it didn't have its own uninstall and Add/Remove Programs couldn't uninstall it. I will never use another McAfee product again.

I have used CCleaner every day for the last four years. Unlike ASC, it has always had a prompt to back up system registry entries before it deletes them, and I have always used that feature before allowing CCleaner to delete registry entries. I have never had a problem with using CCleaner to delete registry entries, including no conflict with Spyware Terminator. I have also been using ATF-Cleaner for a long time. Each deletes junk files that the other doesn't look for to make for a more complete purge of junk files.

Is the $49.99 to buy Acronis True Image a one-time fee? If I use an external hard drive with it, does it need to be reformatted from FAT32 to NTFS? What's your opinion of RAID? Even though download.com rates Acronis True Image 5 stars, there are some bad user reviews for it on that web site. The 5 most popular backup software downloads on download.come are, in order, Macrium Reflect Free Edition, Second Backup Free Edition, SyncBack Freeware, FBackup, and TrueSafe Personal Edition. Of those 5, only SyncBack Freeware was reviewed by download.com. It received a 5-star rating like Acronis, it received slightly better user reviews than Acronis, and it's free. Do you know anything about any of these other backup software?

After I rebuild my system, I'm going to install IE 7 and XP Service Pack 3 because IE 7 is safer than IE 6 and Microsoft is dropping support for XP Service Pack 2 in early 2010. Once my system is rebuilt, I'll have a working version of IE 6, so shouldn't it be okay to install IE 7 over it, or is an old version of IE supposed to be uninstalled before a new version is installed? If the old version of IE should be uninstalled first, what happens to its settings, start page, bookmarks, toolbars, and plugins? Actually, I'll just import the bookmarks from Firefox since it is my default browser, but I'm worried about the other items if I uninstall IE 6 first.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2009 07:15
Did you try using system restore in safe mode? If not try it once more in safe mode. It shouldn't hurt. As for some of the software you asked about. The Zone Alarm Firewall (free) is one of the better free firewalls around from what I understand. Commodo also has a free one, and it supposedly has a pretty good rep. As for your antivirus. Most of my friends use AVG Free and they don't have anything bad to say about it. I only use Kaspersky antivirus 2009 with SuperantiSpyware as my only other piece of security software besides the Windows Firewall. I use a laptop and router which has a hardware firewall built in, so I don't see the need for any exotic firewall with a ton of rules. I haven't heard of Spyware Terminator, but it sounds a little complex for an antispyware program. The least amount of heavy real time security software the better off you are. If you're conscious of some of the sites you're browsing and careful about the email attachments you open you shouldn't have to be overly paranoid about getting viruses and Trojans. Common sense will make up for alot of that stuff. AVG free, one antispyware program and your firewall and you're good to go. As for Acronis, it's a one time fee and you don't have to format your external hard drive. You plug it in via USB and do your full backup and after that you can either do incremental backups or differential or another full one. It's all up to you. I also read the reviews about Acronis, but you know as well as I do not one piece of software is going to make everyone happy. I haven't heard of any of the software you mentioned. My thing with free software is that it seems to be missing the most integral part of the program which eventually forces you to buy the paid version. You know what I mean? There are a couple other backup programs though that are supposed to be pretty good. Partition magic and Norton Ghost are two with fairly good reps. I believe you can try all 3 of those paid versions with Trials, so you at least get a feel for one of them before you shell out the dough. Because I don't use IE I don't really worry about it. I installed IE8 because it is the future and for the fact that I don't use it every day I don't have to worry about the bugs that it still has. I concentrate all my efforts on running Firefox smoothly and so far so good and that's with the dreaded Vista. lol!!! I like Vista. For me it's awesome. I installed 3GB's of RAM so I don't worry about resources. Runs fast and looks good and there's lots of tweaks to make it better.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jun, 2009 07:45
I tried system restore twice in safe mode with 2 different restore points and got the same results, i.e., no changes. My system registry got too fried by ASC.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: My Secunia PSI interface will not load
Expert Contributor 30th Jun, 2009 15:16
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2009 15:36
In following your discussion ; the following spring to my mind ( my opinion ):-
1)Spyware Terminator Guard is a pretty good HIPS behavioural blocker & free ; but not necessarily a great signature spyware detector .
2)Never run two A/Virus programs together :eg: let AVG do its work running full time & disconnect/turn off Clam in ST. "Playing well together" can change to "major clash" when danger appears .

To follow up on julio's great security advice , I can highly recommend the following article which gives an "expert's" opinion on Security/Safe Surfing ( the author - Gizmo Richards - is now associated with Windows Secrets )

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how-to-secure-your...

I find the whole site full of good tips.

And of course "golden rule" #1 Back up anything you cannot afford to lose !!
Everybody knows it , but we don't all do it.

Excuse my butting in
Take care
Anthony

PS: if you change your set up make sure you only run one HIPS program or they may fight like dogs - in front of you or behind you back ; many of the best firewalls (Commodo for example) also contain a HIPS element.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability