xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: "unable to connect to network" error prompt ?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
NikRik "unable to connect to network" error prompt ?
Member 1st Jul, 2009 14:06
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Nov, 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2009 14:55

After updating to the new relase of Secunia PSI 1.5.0.0 when I load the application it gives me the following error notice "unable to connect to network " ? Then oddly enough yesterday it did work once for me and I updated one programm out of the several listed ,shockwave ver 11.5 . However this morning Iam back to after reloading interface recieveing the "unable to connect to netwwork" error . I have my Norton Security Suite disabled and in internet options I have two listings for this app listed in trusted sites to be allowed, http://*.secunia.com & https://*.secunia.com
I believed that to be the fix that allowed Secunia to begin wroking properly again . When I installed the newer version I updated the previous version ,was I supppose to uninstall my old version first ,and could this be part on what causing the long load time and then the error prompt ! Any help greatly appreciated ,I would really like to get this app running smoothly again as the previous version did ?
Thanks to All ,NikRik
FYI> Dell XPS400 2.8GHz Dual Core 3GB's DDR2 RAM H.D.'s internial 250G.B. Samsung & 320G.B.externial Seagate USB 2.0 O/S WindowsXP Pro SP2 MCE-2005 <

--
It its not where you go, it's where you're coming from.

wr RE: "unable to connect to network" error prompt ?
Contributor 1st Jul, 2009 19:23
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2009 19:28
The following steps are the latest version I know of to ensure connectivity to Secunias servers:

Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have configured
the security settings of your Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http:*.secunia.com
https:*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results

If using a browser other than IE the settings can be accessed by clicking Start-Control Panel-Internet Options-then follow c thru j

Edit Yes the older version of PSI should be uninstalled before installing the newer version> Be advised that usually the PSI Installer prompts for this before installing the newer version.

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.2.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NikRik RE: "unable to connect to network" error prompt ?
Member 2nd Jul, 2009 14:46
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 2nd Jul, 2009 16:29
WR,
Thank You for your reply and you informatiuon and suggestions on setting my security in I.E. ver7.0 to a lower setting alowing more activity without any blocking ! I did disable my anti-virus and turn off my firewall both part of the Norton Security Suite I have installed and curent ! Becasue of the Norton Security Suite's firewall I have always had the Windows Firewall disabled. I have copied and pasted your directions and will change those settings and try running Secunia PSI ,keeping my fingers crossed ! I noticed your score is very high ,on my system I had a aprx 75% score and several apps where listed as needing updating ,I had just completed updating one and then I installed the newer version of Secunia and it only ran properly once connecting to the network and giving me its recomedations. One more question do you have to be logged onto the Secunia PSI website when runnning this program for it to work ? I don't believe I was connnected to it ,at least not manually ,perhaps the program automaticialy connects to http://secunia.com when you load it ? Again thank you very much Iam hopimhg your suggestions get me back this app working again ? One more ? do I need to shut down any other program that relies on the internet ,for instance I have RSS feedapplication called a Pertelian X2040 it has a small LCD Display backlite ,in which the RSS feeds are shown ,forinstance real time wheather reprts ,stock market, cureent newws via CNN feed ,and correct time accross 4 differant time zones of your chosing. I just thought perhaps with this running perhaps its stopping secunia from connecting to its own network ! I tried running secunia with the Pertelain tuned off ,same results "unable to connect to network" error prompt? If the fixes you suggested do net work ,wht wuould be the process of completley un-installing secunia psi and re-installing ? Do I install the upgrded version only ,or must I first install the originial version I had,and then upgrade it to the ver. 1.5.0.0 or will 1.5.0.0 give me a full install ? I apoligize for so many ?'s and the long winded rant !
Thanks to All
Nick

--
It its not where you go, it's where you're coming from.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: "unable to connect to network" error prompt ?
Contributor 2nd Jul, 2009 19:33
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Hi, NikRik I'll just give you a rundown on how I install & use the Secunia PSI & maybe that'll answer your questions. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... this is where I download the Installer/program from. I download & save to my desktop-then I close All security programs & most all other programs shown to be running in the systray(beside the clock)-be absolutely sure the PSI program is closed-right click the Secunia icon & choose EXIT. Next open the Installer you downloaded & just follow the prompts to uninstall the old PSI & to install the new version. In my case Secunia does a very thorough job in this uninstallation, I have used this (PSI) since it's availability.

On the Overview page on the RHS there are 2 options, SIMPLE or ADVANCED. I choose to run Advanced mode as the database is larger & therefore Secunia gives me a better picture of possible insecurities. Whichever mode is chosen that mode label will be black & the option will be colored blue with a black underline. After I choose the ADVANCED mode I open the SETTINGS tab & make sure the first box has NO ticks & the second box has both Start the PSI on boot & Enable Program Monitoring boxes TICKED. In my opinion this is set & forget program, this way you don't have to worry about being connected, logged on or whatever-you're there & the PSI is working, if any changes are made it will notify you by a balloon message & if you miss that just mouse over the Secunia icon in the systray.

I hope this helps you to enjoy using the PSI & a more secure system. As you can tell I'm not a geek, so hopefully everything was explained so you could understand it.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.2.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+