Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: A few misfires with the new PSI version

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
DAVID BINKO A few misfires with the new PSI version
Member 4th Jul, 2009 02:12
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2009 02:15

I just today installed the new PSI version. This in itself was a trial,
overcome with the help of other members. I have, in just a few hours, had a few misfires. Here goes....
1. Secunia PSI insists that I have Adobe Flash Player 9.x. My computer and the Software Informer program say version 10.0.22.87. The discrepancy holds even after two scans, and this time PSI is wrong.
2. This latest Adobe Flash Player install was made necessary by a PSI
patch application, which disabled the Flash Player. I know that Flash Player is notoriously insecure, but I use it a lot and have now chosen to live with the vulnerability since I have so few threats overall.
3. I renewed my old username and password, but it took several tries before they were recognized.
I still think that Secunia PSI is a good idea and that an upgrade is
probably warranted, but is seems it could have used a bit more debugging first.
I run a two year old custom-built computer with Windows XP Home edition,
Service Pack 3. The o.s. was clean installed around the end of May due
to a major crash. The custom build says nothing about my expertise- it was a way to get the most computer I could afford. The crash, the second this year, says more about my skill level.
Dave Binko
By the way, I posted this on July 3, not july 4 like the title bar says.

--
Dave Binko, a.k.a. Crash Computer
Windows XP Home Edition,SP3 (build 2600)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor: 1.9Ghz,896 MB RAM
Micro-Star International, Ltd MS-7253 1.00
Built by RJ Ender, Cedar Rapids, IA, July 2007
O.S. clean installed May 2009 after 2nd crash this year

Anthony Wells RE: A few misfires with the new PSI version
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2009 13:17
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2009 13:29

PSI is seeing something that it considers to be a security risk ; FP or no , better be sure with the likes of Flash !!
What is the "installation path" of your Flash v 9 ( use + link to expand the insecure program ) ; in "toolbox" ( lower down ) , you can click on "open folder" to see where it is located in more detail.

If it is there it might be wise to do something about it and/or make sure it's not a danger to you (and keep crashes a ting of the past :-o))

PS : I'm on European time and your post says 02.15 4th July "my" time here in Europe ' so it depends where you have located yourself in your Secunia Profile using the link at the top of this page (next to the orange Forum tab) in ->settings-> timezone (I think you have to be logged in to get there.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DAVID BINKO RE: A few misfires with the new PSI version
Member 4th Jul, 2009 15:59
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Jun 2009
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2009 16:01
Hello Anthony Wells-

Thanks for your entry. I need to have a "rookie" question answered and
make a reply or two.
1. Rookie question: What and where is the + link? Add anything you wish which will help me learn how to determine Installation Path. It sounds like the sort of thing I really should know how to do.
2. I used Revo Uninstaller to strip Flash v 9 out of the computer before I downloaded Flash v 10 directly from Adobe. I hope Revo is reliable, but just acquired it so I'm not sure yet. That's the basis for my confusion.
3. I am entirely with you as to Flash risks, whatever the version, and have enough use of it to want to minimize risk. The same applies to Acrobat Reader v 9, which wasn't sanitized by Secunia PSI treatment.
4. Is my face red! I caught wise to the time zone thing last night.
Thanks for including it as I might not have caught it before now but for blind luck.
I've only been with the forum a few days and it has already paid off.
Thanks for your input, it's helpful.

Dave Binko

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2009 20:08

Hi Dave ,

1)You need to select "advanced" mode of PSI found in the top right corner of "overview" page. In a tab page :eg: "patched" , you will see a box at the extreme left of the page , beside each programme ; it will usually have a + in it . Click on it & a - sign appears & the programme list "opens". The "installation pathway" is the main link to the programme ; it is not always the actual problem file (in Adobe for example) , so you can go to the "toolbox" lower down & click on "open folder" & all the relevant files "should" show up. Finding the problem file is not necessarily guaranteed or easy - but you should get clues which might let some one on the Forum "help" you. Check out what the other things in the toolbox do.

2)I've heard good things of REVO but never used it . Programmes from Adobe or Java often need a manual follow up to properly clean up , even after REVO , say , has been to work . Having said that , cleaning up for it"s own sake can lead to trouble ("if it ain't broke , don't fix it") . When Secunia says so I really dig deep - but , even so , beware of fiddling with the Registry unless , unlike me , you are a Techie !! And even they can get burnt.

3) I would never take a risk of not knowing what an out of date version of Flash or Shockwave was up to on my Computer. Same applies to Adobe reader - the "problem" of Reader between Secunia & Adobe dates back to the mid May update of 9.1.0. There are several threads & several solutions ; you may find one that works for you :-o)

Let us know how you get on & hopefully someone on here will be able to help . I think it well worth the effort of getting to grips with PSI ; safe surfing takes effort.

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jul, 2009 20:45
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2009 20:49
Hi again, Anthony,

Bless your heart! I will learn what you provided forthwith.
I am up a stump about Adobe Reader 9.x, having tried everything I could find. I followed Doc's example with CCleaner, to no avail. It's still category 4.
1. I first downloaded/saved Adobe's uninstall for Flash Reader and then reloaded version 10.0.22.87 and scanned it in PSI. No change.Did I mention that I ran the uninstall before I reloaded? Didn't think so.
2. I reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.1.2 using Adobe's auto download. Adobe
Download Manager came up and downloaded Adobe Air, but NOT Reader. I then did manual download, which worked. I ran the PSI scan, no change,
clicked for a repair and got patches on Reader AND Flash Player, according to Add and Delete page in XP.Rescan did nothing until about 2 minutes after the scan, when Flash Player dropped off the screen and PSI
showed only one security issue, Adobe Player.
Bizarre? I thought so, too. Still, I suspect the change is valid, if odd. I almost forgot- In Adobe's site I exercised a few options which they listed to bolster security before I downloaded Flash Player. Does
Adobe's computer bank have the hiccups?
Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Even at age 64 I am a computer rookie and welcome help wherever it comes from.

Dave Binko, a.k.a. Crash

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2009 23:18
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2009 23:25
Hello Dave ,

Well we're about the same age & I've only been at this computer lark for a couple of years or so myself . I take as much information as I can understand/need and then get to know it. A "techie" friend tells me on a "need to know basis" & nothing more - he also emphasises that even if we get really bizarre happenings on a computer (thanks to MS & others) , we usually get into trouble from a logical sequence of events. So try to do one ting at a time :eg: Flash on its own & not everything Adobe , and remember what you did & why you did it & what resulted.
Sounds like a tall order but you'll be surprised how much it helps .
As for uninstalling , you can use XP's Add/Remove and software like CCleaner has its own "Uninstaller" in "tools" ; while many prorammes have their own uninstaller inbuilt & which ever way you go things like Adobe & Java will still leave bits all over the place - don't even mention things like Symantec & McAffee.

If you really want to sort out Reader 9 , try to find someone to show you how to manually clean your program files and search for leftovers ( say using Explorer ) & reread the Reader thread you just posted on - you may find a clue . Just take a deep breath & take your time ; remember we don't get older , just slower -like my one finger typing .

One last thing , a category (4) refers to the inherent risk of the software & is the same , more or less , patched or not .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: A few misfires with the new PSI version
Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 08:32
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
I had the same problem. It seems tha Adobe did not see fit to remove the old version of Flash Player when it installed the new. What PSI is reporting is that old version.

The file <uninstall_flash_player.exe> can be downloaded from the Adobe web site (sorry I forgot where). Just be aware that this will remove all versions of Flash Player!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 12:54

Do bear in mind that even the "uninstaller" is still prone to leave files behind - hence the importance of PSI & especially "advanced" mode & the "toolbox"

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jul, 2009 06:21
Me again,

I twice removed Adobe Reader with my new love, Revo Uninstaller. This
software first runs any built-in uninstall program and then, with operator as a decision maker, goes in after anything left. This I did this afternoon, and both times Revo dug out over 1500 items of one sort or another. I suspected something of the sort, but not on that scale.

Anthony, you should never have told me where to click "Advanced" in
PSI. I did, right after I read your input, and what a boar's nest I found. Ever since Friday night I've been rooting out redundant program files, chucking out stuff I'll never use, and on and on.... It's been a darned good learning experience, and I've actually recovered worthwhile hard drive real estate. The fly in the ointment is that it's the sort of exercise that I get obcessive over, and I really must get some sleep soon.

I'm a stubborn old s.o.b. and will prevail against Adobe vulnerabilities
in Reader and Flash Player. That has also been enlightening, but also frustrating. We will leave the reasons out for now, but at the moment I have no Adobe products of whatever sort in my computer. I have a coherent strategy- I just ran out of gas this afternoon.

Dave Binko

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 10:19
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2009 10:21
Hello Dave ,

See , you can teach an old dog new tricks & your granny was right , an ounce of prevention and all that !!
Now we just need to find a cure for obsession :))
When you get your breath back and are up to speed , I'll tell you about "msconfig" , if you don't already know & , as we have agreed , if it ain't broke , don't fix it and Beware of fiddling with the Registry !!

I know you'll take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 17:28
Hello,Anthony,

It's my turn to sound like a flibbertijibbit. Yesterday I installed Foxit
and got a Secunia clean bill of health, but then I got aa feedback from another OpenOffice user who revealed to me that OpenOffice and Foxit are incompatible as IO only supports Adobe. I'm back to Adobe Reader 9.1.1 and holding. I have misfired too many times on upgrading to 9.1.2,
including from Adobe directly, that I'm leaving it alone. That's life.
I also changed antivirus from AVG 8.5 free to Avast! 4.8 free, and the computer worked better immediately.
Yesterday I ran a program called Registry Patrol 3.0. Reviews on this one are mixed, but I noticed another improvement, this time in predictability of operation. I can just hear you grinding your teeth for my using another cleaner program. I'm a sucker for cleaner programs
and the ones I've tried before I have very soon rejected as doing more harm than good. The addict never gives up hope: that said, I will audition this one some more, with a mildly jaundiced eye.
The computer is running the best it has in quite some time, so maybe I can break away long enough to catch up on other work items.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2009 17:36
Hello Dave ,
Not around atm , will try respond in 24hr.
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jul, 2009 17:50
Hello Anthony,

Drop in on me any time, you're always welcome.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2009 20:46
Last edited on 13th Jul, 2009 21:46
Hello Dave ,

I try to answer questions rather than "volunteer opinions" & all they entail ; but in order to save wear on my teeth , I'm tempted (something I can't resist) to say :-

I believe that the generous people on this forum offer advice based on their PC , system , set up , usage/surfing habits , etc. , & their accumulated experience. None of this can apply directly to you in the major part - you need to adapt the info.
I find that with most things , if you "understand" something & you are "happy" dealing with it , then it is probably right for you - whatever is said - until circumstances change & you learn/find better. This is not a "given" , for me , it takes time , not merely days , maybe weeks & sometimes longer . As Yokenny suggested do your "googling" search & research .

For my "hard" IT questions I ask my "tech friend" over the 'phone & I use "expert advice" such as Gizmo Richard's security article(1) & his site in general(2) - amongst others - & then Forums on certain software .

1) http://www.techsupportalert.com/how-to-secure-your...

2) http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Can't remember if you've had these , read them regularly any way if they help , they update

I mean , do you understand what your Registry is & does & what happens when you edit it. Ask any "expert" & you have a 50/50 chance they will disagree about editing the Registry and/or defragmenting the HDD/Registry.
I have 2 potent Registry tools on my PC which you would love & no don't ask , I don't want to get you a (triple) AAA+ (crash) rating. I have found over time that CCleaner registry at default setting is all I need ( & confirmed by Gizmo , as it happens).

That's news to me about about OO.o ; but leaves you with an Adobe patch problem .
If you have 9.1.1 & you HAVE NOT renamed any folders , then :
1) Reader "help" menu "about" should confirm this .
2)In the Adobe/Reader9.0/Reader folder you should have an AcroRD32 file (the .exe file) with v 9.1.0.163 & an AcroRD32.dll file with a v 9.1.1 number (mouse over to read).
In the "plug_ins" folder (double click) you should have an "Annots" API file ->rightclick->properties->Version Tab & you should have the 9.1.1 n.
Unless they have changed , this is what Secunia reads.

It would make sense to update to 9.1.2 ; you can use the PSI solution (in the toolbox - read the extra info) & download their MSI patch file , or open the "update" link out of the Reader "help" menu & run the Adobe "wizard" ; BEFORE you use either :
a)Close Adobe completely ,
b)Close ALL browsers ,
c)Close everthing else that is non - essential , then
d)try your patch process rescan & reboot if necessary.
Then let me know what happens.
If something is not clear ask , look before you leap.
Go for it , but
Take care

Anthony

PS: one step at a time makes it easier to go back , if necessary !

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jul, 2009 21:59
Dave
I have just looked in the Reader "help" menu & below the link "about Adobe Reader 9" is the link "about Adobe Plug-ins" this opens a window & 4th link down on ythe left is "comments" , click on this and you get the "Annots.api" version info .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jul, 2009 22:42
Last edited on 15th Jul, 2009 22:55
Hi,Anthony

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jul, 2009 00:55
Let's try this again. I just went to a lot of effort to put together a comprehensive description of what I've done with Adobe Reader but the computer ate it and I won't do it again.

Anthony
1. I am doing the CCleaner thing as suggested. One thing about CCleaner hoses me off, though. What's the point of setting a restore point if they won't give you anything meaningful on how to actually USE it? I checked, and they don't.
2. With respect to my inability to install Adobe Reader 9.1.2, most of what you gave me was unintelligible, starting with "Reader help menu", one of the many things I couldn't decode. To all intents and purposes I went unaided.
Read the following error statement VERY carefully, more than once. Every time I tried to download and install Reader 9.1.2, from Adobe or Secunia or anybody else, regardless of browser, THE PATCH DOWNLOADED and then the following message came up.
.................................................. ..............................
Windows Installer. This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.
.................................................. ..............................

The foregoing accompanied every attempt to install Adobe Reader 9.1.2, and I do mean every attempt. I cannot overstate this!

I sure wish somebody could crack this one just because I hate like hell to see a problem go unsolved. I've reached the limits of my competence, to no avail.
As to that last, I didn't start the rookie thread for nothing.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Jul, 2009 15:16
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2009 15:30
Hello Dave ,

Just time for a quick reply :

I hate it when you lose things - if it's going long , I sometimes post and edit to add on stuff - then you don't lose as much !!

A lot of software offer to set restore points - I only use the Windows system in XP itself. So don't know the CCleaner tool.

If you open Adobe Reader as if to use it , there is a bar along the top & at the right end of the bar is the "help" tab , click on it & a "dropdown menu" appears with all the links I mentioned . I cannot explain things any other way , I hope you can try the update link - it may not depend on the Windows Installer (unlikely , but you never know with Windows:)). If this does not help your understanding then IMHO you need someone beside you in front of your screen to help you .

A windows installer problem - assuming it is not the patch itself (unlikely) - is an Installer problem . Apart from searching the problem with Google
as per :

http://www.google.fr/search?rlz=1C1CHMG_enFR291FR3...

(seems like you'll have to copy & paste the full link for it to work ; or type "windows installer problems" into your chosen search tool/engine)

then I would need some one to hold my hand
- what about the guy who built your system ?? For you , not me (too expensive with the air travel , etc.

Best I can do , I'm afraid

Anthony.

PS : Try this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jul, 2009 22:32
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2009 22:34
Hello, Anthony, and anybody else out there,

If you want to know about me and frustration, ask anybody in my church choir. Sad truth, that.

OLD BUSINESS
1. Revo Uninstaller automatically sets Windows System Restore points
before an uninstall. I've got at least one other program that makes you remember to set them yourself. Otherwise, you're right to set restore points manually. Sometimes I remember.
2. You never said, but I was convinced that Adobe Reader "HELP" menu was on an Adobe website. The one you really meant I had found by running
AcroRd32.exe, but I never made a connection.
3. I was able to eliminate ActiveX plug-ins in "reader 9.1" and in IE8.
The latter was optimized for Firefox, for crying out loud! Google said so, too.
4. Comes the dawn. I know what a MSI patch file is-now.
5. ?msc?
6. I stumbled onto a place on an Adobe site to ask for customer service.
I now have a case # and the URL where their response came from. Sir, I do not lose them all even if I do say so myself.
7. Google and Microsoft Search Companion got worked hard and served me well. Search Companion works for me, but Search doesn't. ?

New business
1. I now have Adobe Reader 9.1.2 installed, courtesy of Adobe and Microsoft. You supplied http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175, and after a few false starts I finally hit a site in Downloads which didn't
match it's description elsewhere but ultimately ended up providing me with Windows Installer 4.5, Windows Power Shell and ASP.NET MVC 1.0.
The pay dirt's in there, presumably the installer update. The set is referred to as an updated web platform.
2. Just WHY did the problem never show up until the Reader 9.1.2 update?
God knows, I don't, and that's where I'm leaving it.
3. The two "Gizmo" entries are now safe and sound in "Favorites".
4. Screen Capture & Print saved paper on this day's adventure. I hadn't done it yet, but I had a procedure in hand.

Old Business contains much of what the computer ate yesterday. I had to cool off a while to rewrite it. Add to it that I installed Foxfire 3.5
as it has fewer issues with Google than IE8 does. I had tried unsuccessfully to use Foxfire to install 9.1.2. A while back I had
success installing another program that way.

Some days are just better than others.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Jul, 2009 17:37
Last edited on 17th Jul, 2009 17:42
Hello Dave ,

Good to hear of your success .

Installer probably broke her "reading" glasses when you were having a bad day , forgot to smile or turned away for a moment for an allergy sneeze - it is Windows after all - or maybe she got lost in the registry during all your install/cleanup work .

I now know where to come for help with Installer problems .

Firefox itself is now patched as v 3.5.1 but there are still Java problems for all browsers (using it). If you don't already have it , then the Firefox "add on" called NoScript may be of interest to you from a security point of view . It takes a little time to get it set up & does not suit everyone , but it can be very effective.

If you are doing research , I find the add on "CoolPreviews" most valuable.

Too many Ff add ons can slow everything right down ; I usually check them out one at a time for several days.

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: A few misfires with the new PSI version
Contributor 17th Jul, 2009 19:59
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
+1 with Anthony Wells on NoScript. It can be a naggingnanny, until then, when you get most of your favorite sites on the whitelist all goes pretty smooth.

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2009 22:02
Hello, Anthony and wr,

Thanks to Secunia I have the Firefox 3.5.1 patch version. I'm using it as a secondary browser while I try it out. I hadn't tried Firefox in quite a quite a while. This version is an improvement where my wants are concerned. Thanks for awareness of "CoolPreviews". It sounds like something I could really have used last fall. I was researching Medicare Part D plans to replace one which wasn't doing the job for me.
I found a winner, but it was much work and time. Ditto a research of
"Un-American" pharmacies due to breathtaking meds costs. Once again, I won, but it was a lot of work by the time I chased down credentials.
wr, since you and Anthony Both approve of NoScript I shall surely look into it.
Anthony, you must have had SOME idea what would happen when I opened the Gizmo links. Shame on you! Truth is, Gizmo looks like a little gold mine for the likes of me. I suppressed the urge to aquire another registry cleaner and actually eliminated another one from my machine.
Why? I think an Auslogics full-service registry-care product is the guilty party. I have dumped three Auslogics programs this week because of such suspicions. Registry cleaners are addictive to the rookie, but I'm staying with CCleaner for now.
Enough, already. Time to close. Thanks for the advice, both of you.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: A few misfires with the new PSI version
Contributor 17th Jul, 2009 22:34
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Hello, Dave-just to expound a little on NoScript-it will be a naggingnanny until you get it setup, & even then when visiting a new website-but my take on that is I'd rather be nagged than hacked. And on registry cleaners I also use CCleaner-seems to do a good job, I use it in addition to V S Revo Uninstaller. I uninstall 1st with Revo, then run CCleaner to "make sure" Revo cleared everything-haven't been dissapointed yet even though CCleaner has found a few strays here & there. Registry cleaners are probably like A/V software, one program isn't going to find everything-so just pick a couple that you feel trustworthy with & proceed with caution. That's why I use 1 resident/1 demand A/V scanner & on great occasion download & run SAS-just to be sure. I think the description for that is paranoia.

Enough of my silly banter-here's hoping you have an enjoyable weekend-happy & safe Cybersurfing.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2009 22:56
Hi again, wr,

I will entertain almost any suggestion until I have had a chance to look into it. I find it easier to research suggestion than to find the original idea. Not knowing your subject has that effect.
I never thought of using CCleaner as a 'chaser' to Revo, but the idea
has the right kind of ring to it. It's probably superstition, but after I remove a program I generally reboot before I reinstall. Why? dunno, I probably read it somewhere. Still, if the computer isn't misbehaving
obviously, a reboot is benign enough. I have cleared odd behaviors a lot of times with a reboot, enough so that it's almost always the first thing I try.
Thanks for the kind wishes and sage advice. Enjoy the weekend.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jul, 2009 21:10
Last edited on 18th Jul, 2009 21:12

Hello Dave and wr ,

Dave , you have hit on a key point ; all in one tune uppers/cleaners etc., are like asking strangers to clean up your house & make it more "efficient" during your absence - I wonder how they would treat your heirlooms & things of sentimental value ?? Where have they put everything & why change the locks & not leave all the keys ??

In defence of Auslogics their stuff is good quality ; I personally think that their disk defragger is a big improvement over the installed XP basic .

This is the Gizmo take on Defrag - do note , it is just as contentious as Registry "fiddling" :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-disk-de-...

I have used Defraggler for a long time - but there is a learning curve . Maybe wr can add something , here .

Dave , Cnet have loads of Forums , including a "newbies" one - this is their site , I have found it useful at times :-

http://forums.cnet.com/5204-12543_102-0.html?forum...

As a final poiht , I hope wr , that you agree with me that "ColourfulTabs" is the best Ff "add -on" ever :))

Enjoy your weekend
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jul, 2009 02:22
Last edited on 19th Jul, 2009 02:33
Anthony, thanks for the Cnet link, I will check it out. Except for the disk defragmenter, my take on Auslogics is that their products are capable enough that in the wrong hands, like mine, they can do harm.
Best suited to a more experienced/disciplined user than me. I am retaining their registry defragmenter as it seems to be relatively benign. I've run it and nothing awful happened. Auslogics disk defragmenter and DeFraggler are both better than m-soft utility. Auslogics is faster, and my computer builder likes it. DeFraggler is more versatile- I'm running it in the background for now as a trial.
A last note to Anthony, wr and Dave- Let's all enjoy the weekend. An e-mail last night got mine off to a good start.
Grieve with me on this one- I am about to murder a program that was NOT freeware-a "Registry-service" program bought without due research, in the heat of the moment. Actually, I might enjoy this one- it's just that money is in the picture. I will never learn!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jul, 2009 15:55

That's the spirit Dave - and hang the expense - you'll be leaving wr and me for corn dust.

Two minor point on defrag :

If you disconnect from the net & turn everything off including your security , it stops your A/V checking the defragger's every move . It makes a Defraggler full scan much quicker & because it's thorough , it can be slow.

For this reason I have never been convinced of the need for a continual backgroud scan for the "home" user. I run CC each evening & then may let her twin Defraggler look at any files that have had a bashing during the day ; otherwise , for me , once a month full scan mostly does it.

As for the software that is running on your machine , CC tools has a "start up" tab which shows you all the programmes that try to start as windows boots .
I have nearly 30 listed , but only 8 are "essential" and allowed.
Windows will also launch as "ready to be run" other programmes ; these programmes show in "task manager" & can be controlled using "msconfig" . You need to know what a programme is/does before you attempt to change it's running basis -a windows system service is not something I would mess with ; but I have reduced from 50+ to 30+ showing in Task Manager .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: A few misfires with the new PSI version
Member 19th Jul, 2009 16:51
on 19th Jul, 2009 15:55, Anthony Wells wrote:
Windows will also launch as "ready to be run" other programmes ; these programmes show in "task manager" & can be controlled using "msconfig" . You need to know what a programme is/does before you attempt to change it's running basis -a windows system service is not something I would mess with ; but I have reduced from 50+ to 30+ showing in Task Manager .

Using "msconfig" as a startup manager is not recommended as it is a diagnostic tool and if used incorrectly can render the system inoperable.

Startup Control Panel is much safer
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Startup Manager is an open source startup manager for the Windows platform.
http://startupmanager.org

WinPatrol is a good application with startup control:
http://www.winpatrol.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jul, 2009 17:21

Hello Yokenny ,

You are totally correct - my "bad" for using "dangerous" shortcuts !(

I don't know the software in your links - the first one seems pretty useful ; even so I guess the emphasis must still be on knowing exactly what a programme does before you alter it's running .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jul, 2009 23:19
Last edited on 19th Jul, 2009 23:23
As promised, I executed "Registry Patrol 3.0", along wilt it's sister
"Identity Patrol". Revo Uninstaller took out the latter, no sweat. Revo
tech assistance explained to me that Revo wouldn't do it, and why.
Windows "Search Companion" utility was indispensible here. I was able to locate every necessary file with it. From there I can open the folder which contains it or open the file itself. The latter highlights the file in it's subfolder and you can delete it there with the Search Companion Delete. I did what I have before; open the folder first and have a look at the file in some kind of context, and then open the file and delete it if indicated. Hovering the mouse gives filepath and gives yet another check/balance.
Anthony, bear with me. In my fevered imagination 'disconnecting from the internet' could be closing browsers or disconnecting the DSL service cable. A severe handicap for me is that a word or phrase can mean one thing in the world and something very different in the cyberworld. I have a horrible time deciphering computerspeak, and it holds me back.
I like WinPatrol.
I'm running Defraggler in the background as a convenience, having first done a comprehensive scan. That's where "disconnecting" comes in. I am a firm believer in defragmentation, but not to the point of neurosis.
If I can speed up a conventional scan enough I would likely not put it in the background.

Dave's Software Pick of the Week....

WOT Web of Trust
http://www.mywot.com
Add-on for MSIE and Firefox. I have it in both.
It gives you a sense of the risk connected to websites when you browse or actually set foot inside. This is a function I really need, and WOT is far better than nothing.

Where start-up is concerned, I have so many programs on the start menu
that I know nothing about that I have been half afraid to do anything with it. Some of the programs I do know, I don't know whether they belong in start-up menu or not, or why they should or shouldn't.

I got my butt scorched in the Rookie's Thread for not being as relevant to Secunia as I should be. Life is like that, but I didn't appreciate it all that much. Four replies this year. I'm impressed. 'Nuff said.
By the way, WOT says this is a particularly safe site.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jul, 2009 23:58
Very quickly Dave , as it's late here :-

Disconnecting means not just browsers , if you turn off your security , it means closing your DSL connection & isolating your PC from the net.

I like WOT , I also use LinkExtend toolbar which uses data from several site advisors (WOT inluded) & has a cool XQuick search function.

You are right to be wary of what is starting ; it's only a question of improving load time & RAM (memory) usage so take your time & search each item to find out what it does .

I saw the flames ; read the first part of the PSI "forum tab" page , the info is repeated in the "about" link on the left side bar on this page ; Secunia don't seem to me to set any hard & fast rules , so "Chacun a son gout , chacun a ses defauts" .

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2009 00:13
Thanks on all counts. Every bit helps. I'll check with the DSL provider on how to do it.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer