xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Uninstalled and STILL insecure!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Gemini1943 Uninstalled and STILL insecure!
Member 4th Jul, 2009 19:39
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
Secunia is telling me I have an insecure programme - Adobe Flash Player 9+. Well, I uninstalled this version (even using the Adobe uninstall tool to do so) Secunia said the the path to Adobe Flash 9+ had the path of:
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\NPSWF32.dll
(My PC cannot even find this path!) When I did a search for NPSWF32.dll, I found it was situated in:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Resources
This is because I have Adobe Reader and Adobe Air installed. Anyway,
after completely uninstalling all possible versions of Flash, I installed the latest version, then re-started my computer, yet after another scan, Secunia is still insisting that I have Adobe Flash Version 9+ installed and that it is insecure!
I have searched my PC with a registry cleaner and cannot find any sign of this version of Adobe Flash in the Registry, so I don't know what more I can do! I have even updated my version of Secunia and STILL it finds Adobe Flash 9+ with the same path that my PC cannot find! Any ideas please? I have Windows XP SP3.

Anthony Wells RE: Uninstalled and STILL insecure!
Expert Contributor 4th Jul, 2009 20:18
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 4th Jul, 2009 20:24
Have you opened the associated "folder" using the link in the "toolbox" (under the installation pathway).

Each version of Flash will have it's own NPSWF.dll -either in it's own file or maybe hanging on in an updated folder. Just to confuse things the file in the "pathway" is not always the one at fault , hence , check the associated folder.

Adobe is great at leaving stuff behind & mixing old & new in one file ; that's why PSI is important .

Unless you are a techie , be very careful of cleaning the Registry , especially if you want to reinstall something.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Gemini1943 RE: Uninstalled and STILL insecure!
Member 5th Jul, 2009 12:12
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Jul 2009
I did use the 'Toolbox' which reported as follows:

Technical details

Technical details about this installation of Adobe Flash Player 9.x (General Plug-in), you can use this information to determine why the Secunia PSI detected the program and the security state of it.

Version Detected:

Installation Path:
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\NPSWF32.dll

Last Inspection of Program:
4th Jul. 2009, 19:42 CET

However, as I said in my original Post, the path referred to can't be found by my computer! So how come Secunia can find it? I simply do not have this version of FlashPlayer on my system any more! Perhaps I should just tell the program to ignore it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2009 12:19
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2009 12:51
Yes , but in the opened link , the third part after "installation path" & "extra information" is the "toolbox" and in there is a link "open folder".
Have you used this & if so , where does it take you ??
To ignore it could be a serious mistake.

PS:: "open folder" is the link just to the right of "technical details"

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jul, 2009 13:10
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2009 13:12
When I clicked on 'Open Folder' this is the message I got:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/paulinee43/...
I opened the folder anyway and got this:

I was none the wiser having seen this so I followed the instructions for the 'Command' and got this:

I'm still none the wiser!

(I've no idea if you will be able to see these clips as there is no way to preview these messages!)

Just edited this and yes, you can see them, but you have to click on the links. Just what should I delete from the final command window, 'cos I have absolutely no idea!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2009 13:37
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2009 13:52

Well done on going there on your own ; but we are at the limit of my "non-techie " experience.

The "command prompt" display shows 2/3 rd's of the way down :-

09/11/2006 16.20 2,111,096 NPSWF32.dll

Judging by the date & reference one would "assume" this is the file in question , but I would prefer more "version" details.

Is it a problem & what you do next & how you do it (safely) , is beyond my knowledge & I would need to 'phone a friend .

I would suggest that you find someone to lead you though handling the file safely - hidden files are "hidden" to reduce the risk of people like me messing about.

If you are lucky Maurice Joyce or some other nice person will post an update.

Sorry I can't do more ,

Take care
Anthony

PS: you could ask Secunia "support" directly

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jul, 2009 13:50
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2009 13:54
Well thanks Anthony for what you have done anyway. I do hope you are right and I can get some advice on what to do about this. I presume I would just delete the file you mentioned? Although I wouldn't ever delete anything unless I was really sure of what I was doing in any case. I have pretty well decided to just leave it alone otherwise. Thanks again - you've made me a bit more aware of what Secunia does anyway.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2009 13:57

My pleasure and , for what it's worth I concur with your decisions 100%.
I edited above that Secunia "support" themselves may be good for help.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Jul, 2009 14:20

I remembered this thread & how Secunia sees files & how to "delete" them !!!

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/191...

I , myself , would still try to find out the significance of your file - especially if it is related to ActiveX in any way ; but like you said you need to be 100% sure of whatever action/non-action you decide upon.

That's it
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jul, 2009 11:31
Well, thanks very much for that link Anthony! Most informative! I'm very tempted to remove the file in the way described there. If only Secunia went a bit further in their 'Toolbox' and described what to do with a file after they've told you where to find it! I'm really in two minds now! I suppose I could set a restore point first and then remove the file, although my System Restore doesn't work in normal mode for some reason and I always have to restore in safe mode! A bit of a Faff really! And..would System Restore actually restore that file (in DOS is it?)if anything went wrong afterwards?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 12:41
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2009 12:45

I share your thinking & questions posed .

As it is named "system" restore (& not "data" restore ) it should replace the file - to my mind/experience it usually works , if not always .

NPSWF32.dll files always seem to be found in Adobe/Macromedia folders for Flash , Shockwave & Air.

IF , from it's location , it relates to an ActiveX then it could possibly relate to an IE plug in & so could be a security problem .

At a push , if you can't get better advice then , as it should not damage the registry & if removing it does stop Flash in IE & system restore does not prevail , at worst you should be able to reinstall Adobe (again , for the nth time )

That's only my view on it without any specific knowhow. It's just that , if Secunia does not like something , it usually has a good reason .

PS: words/acronyms like DOS mean nothing to me , I'm afraid - except this one is something to do with a computer "system".

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jul, 2009 12:51
I've decided first, to run the Adobe Flash Uninstaller again (to remove all versions of Flash) and afterwards to re-boot. (I installed the latest version of Flash before re-booting before) So that might just take out the file from DOS as some files are only removed on re-boot (I've been told) THEN, I'll re-install Flash 10+ and run Secunia once more to see if the pesky file has been removed. If it hasn't I'll bite the bullet and try removing it myself. I thought I'd back up the entry in DOS first and then if anything untoward happens, copy back the file. (You wouldn't by any chance know how to do this would you,as I know it isn't just a simple matter of copying or cutting and pasting!!)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 13:04
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2009 13:16
Sounds like a cunning plan & I would agree that reboot is/can be important - especially with Adobe problems .

I use Titan/GFI for back up of my data , but have never tried this type of file . A big problem will be that I don't think the folder cmd has opened is listed - so how can you find it ,anyway ??

Does right click on the cmd window give any clues ??

You could even run CCleaner or similar a couple of times.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jul, 2009 18:32
From a search of Google, it seems you copy the file from the command prompt.
In the folder that contains the file, at the prompt type:

copy filename a: (to back the file up to floppy disk)
copy filename d:\foldername (to back it up to another drive\folder)

Anyway, if you make a mistake, your command is ignored and you are taken back to the command prompt anyway and as long as you don't press Enter or OK, you can just close the window and nothing is changed!

Wish me luck!

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 19:43
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2009 19:49

You won't need luck , you're very capable and will get it right first time - I will be keeping my fingers crossed , so let me know how you get on before my hands cramp up totally :))

PS: don't forget that PSI will also see the copy .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jul, 2009 20:25
All fixed!

I tried using the Adobe Installation tool and re-booting. I even shut down all other progs, including virus checker and firewall to make sure there were no conflicts. Yet after re-booting, STILL the darned thing showed up in the DOS folder and in Secunia! So I thought 'What the Hell' and I deleted the file. I didn't make a backup of it because the same dll file shows up in Adobe Air and I thought I could always use a copy of that one if necessary. Anyway, I scanned again with Secunia and THEN the little trouble maker was gone! I re-installed the latest version of Flash and after re-booting yet again, it seemed to be working properly at first, but then I discovered it wasn't working in Internet Explorer. Secunia didn't like the fact that I still have IE7 installed so it said something about it not being installed in my 'Default Browser' whatever that means. So I installed it from the Web instead of through Secunia.
So.... all's well that ends well. It's taken ages to work it all out but I've learned something this last couple of days!
Many thanks again for your input and let's hope that Secunia realises how limited its 'Solutions' are and goes a bit further to help folks solve problems like this. Although of course, I've got a bit of a cheek, considering it's a free program anyway!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 20:59
Last edited on 6th Jul, 2009 21:05
Wow !! Have uncrossed fingers & allowed them to clench round a glass of chilled Rosť in celebration - I know , any excuse will do :))

My "techie" advisor says that however bizarre the ending , we get there through a logical sequence of events & it's always useful to remember them . I'm sure he'd be very proud of you & would tell me " I told you so !!"

Take lots of care
Anthony

PS:Secunia might surprise us one day ; I'll wait if it stays free .
PPS:Me , Me , I know what a default browser is ; it's the one you/windows has chosen/agreed will open automatically when a programme needs one (I think ??)

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jul, 2009 18:12
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2009 18:17
Yup - it is! Booted up today and everything still working OK.[IMG]http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/10.gif[/IMG]
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 18:19
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2009 18:25
on 7th Jul, 2009 18:12, Gemini1943 wrote:
Yup - it is! Booted up today and everything still working OK.[IMG]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/ernaehrung/food-...

Perfect timing for my apperitif !!(Don't you just love excuses :-o))

Cheers and Good Health.

Wow!! You sent me wine & when I quoted you it has turned to beer. Any more tricks like that , I'd like to be real , please.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jul, 2009 20:11
Golly, you must have been replying to mine at the same time that I was changing my mind about the first Smiley and substituting it for another! (Not very user-friendly this site is it? I mean, you can't see a list of messages underneath the reply box and you can't insert smileys or even screen-grabs of problems very easily either!)http://bestsmileys.com/expressions/6.gif
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 20:25

Yes , you are correct - "Down with Secunia !!"
They obviously have no consideration for their users , especially one finger typists who would sell their Granny for a smiley (thanks Gmail) or a drink .
How dare they present a free programme in such a slipshod fashion -& we know they are watching us !

Hope your not editing again ; oh , and don't be blue. Try Rosť.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer