xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Impossible to remove old Versions of Java Web Start 1.x and Sun J...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Sun Microsystems
And, this specific program:
Java Web Start 1.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Greeneye Impossible to remove old Versions of Java Web Start 1.x and Sun Java JRE 1.4.x/5x/6x
Member 6th Jul, 2009 15:13
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have some third party software installed on drive D: (not C:). Some of these packages include older Versions of Java Web Start 1.x and Sun Java JRE 1.4.x/5x/6x. I have 2 outdated Versions of Java Web Start 1.x, 3 outdated Versions of Sun Java JRE 1.4.x, 3 outdated Versions of Sun Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x and 2 outdated Versions of Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x

I would like to uninstall or update these Programs. But my software-uninstall-tool seems not to recognize these Java Versions. Is this, because they are installed on D: instead of C:? How can I get rid of them/update them anyway?
How can I uninstall software that is installed on D:?

wr RE: Impossible to remove old Versions of Java Web Start 1.x and Sun Java JRE 1.4.x/5x/6x
Contributor 6th Jul, 2009 20:31
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Greeneye,
if your d drive is a recovery drive I'm pretty sure the following thread will solve all your problems. Please read all the postings as there are only 6 posts in this entire thread. http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/153...

Good luck & regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Greeneye RE: Impossible to remove old Versions of Java Web Start 1.x and Sun Java JRE 1.4.x/5x/6x
Member 7th Jul, 2009 08:58
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Jul 2009
System Score: N/A
Thanks for answering. But D: is not a recovery drive, just another partition on my hard drive.
I even have software installed on C:, that uses outdated Java. How can I update this? - No update for the software is available ..
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Impossible to remove old Versions of Java Web Start 1.x and Sun Java JRE 1.4.x/5x/6x
Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 20:31
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Greeneye, your last statement in your 1st post was why I thought D drive was possibly a recover/backup drive because you asked how to access D drive. I also have a D drive but as you said yours was just a partition-so is mine- but some form of recognition is need for these partitions/drives. If it's a backup/installation partition I'm not technical enough to know how to gain access-& it's my understanding if it is-leave it alone until needed-then you can update/remove the insecure programs. My first thought is be sure you're using the Secunia PSI in the Advanced mode. Overview page on RHS under header-2 choices, SIMPLE or ADVANCED. Choose Advanced, under the Settings tab make sure the Show only easy-to-patch programs box IS NOT ticked. In the next box under that make sure that Start the Secunia PSI on boot & Enable Program Monitoring are BOTH TICKED. Advanced mode has a much larger database & therefore will find more programs with insecurities -you do want a secure system-why not take advantage of this FREE program? In the Advanced mode the PSI will give you options to "repair/replace", it doesn't do it for you, rather the options so that YOU can make an intelligent decision as to your needs regarding your system.
Regarding JAVA(tm) you really need to check the path of these JAVA(tm) installations to make sure some applet/application doesn't depend on that particular v. of JAVA(tm) even though Sun says ALL v. of JAVA(tm) are compatible. Also be advised JAVA(tm) IS PLATFORM SPECIFIC. Latest v. is v.6update14-my secure v. is 6.0.140.8. Yes you do have to uninstall old versions to update to newer version(s). JAVA(tm) website suggests using ADD/Remove programs & if this doesn't remove all remnants to use M$ Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. My personal choice is to use VS Revo Uninstaller.DISCLAIMER-download & use this FREE utility @ your own risk as you'll be mucking in the Registry. I've personally had 0 problems with this program as it automatically does a backup & then runs the uninstaller, if available,for that program before it checks the Registry for more remnants & gives YOU the choice of what to remove. Just be sure to READ & HEED ALL choices carefully. I've seen anywhere from 0 to over 2,000 registry entries that have to be carefully selected-just goes to show you that some programs are really hard to completely remove. Sorry this is so long-winded, just wanted to share what works for me.

I'll include the link for JAVA(tm) download & there's also other links there that could be helpful. I hope this info helps you-as with a lot of programs it's "get down & get dirty time." http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Good luck & regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability