xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Reader 9.0 Ghost Threat Continues To Haunt Personal Inspector

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
byan762 Adobe Reader 9.0 Ghost Threat Continues To Haunt Personal Inspector
Member 7th Jul, 2009 17:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
My first thread and my first problem. So please bare the pain won't you?
It seems that Secunia Personal Inspector Insists that I have Adobe Reader 9.0 installed when in fact I do not? It also insists that it is an unpatched threat. I do have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0 extended installed and I assume this to be the source of the so called threat. Of course I tried to patch this ghost in an attempt at resolving the error. It continues to vex me. I beg your assistance with this problem. I'm new to this forum and this program. I am impressed with secunia PSI and find it amazing that the developers offer it up for free. Astounding.

--
I thank you profusely for your kind help!

Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Reader 9.0 Ghost Threat Continues To Haunt Personal Inspector
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 17:56
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Ahh ! The ghosts of Adobe 9.0 will soon become a best selling paperback.

We need some more info :-
1)Select "advanced" mode in the top right of your PSI page .
2)Your ghost should be in the "insecure" tab - open it.
3)On the left end of the Program is a box with a + sign in it . Click on it.
4)on the page which opens you will see "installation path". You need to give us this info. Then look lower down and you will see "toolbox" , in the centre of it you will see "open folder" ; click on it & tell us what it shows , this will help us exorcise your Ghost , or at least add another chapter to the book .
If PSI says it has found something , it usually has ; how much of a problem it is depends & hopefully someone on the Forum will be able to help.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
byan762 RE: Adobe Reader 9.0 Ghost Threat Continues To Haunt Personal Inspector
Member 7th Jul, 2009 18:40
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Jul 2009
Holy Toledo! It's not a Ghost after all! So you are certainly right. If PSI claims it's there it's probably there. I shall take that to the bank from now on. As per your very helpful instruct I found my Ghost residing on D: drive/Programs. D: drive is the drive next to C: by the way. yukyuk. I have a dual boot VISTA64/XP32 system. PSI detected the Adobe Reader that is installed to XP ! Wild. Thing is though, what prevents PSI from just patching the program there? As it claims the program is not there OR the version is wrong there must yet be some other underlying issue at foot. Hay what, my dear Watson? Likely, It can not patch outside of it's host operating system? Must I install PSI to XP to facilitate a fix? It would be nice to kill two birds with one stone, yes?. The most obvious question then. Does PSI scan the entire PC and ALL it's "program" installations no matter the host drive or opsys in question and offer up patches for one and all or was this Adobe Reader thing an aberration? No other programs from D: drive/XP were found wanting. The Game is Afoot!
Your thoughts?

--
I thank you profusely for your kind help!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Reader 9.0 Ghost Threat Continues To Haunt Personal Inspector
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 19:09
Last edited on 7th Jul, 2009 19:23
I'm afraid you will have to wait & hope for someone with technical expertise for some/any answers on Vista (I'm XP SP3 - non techie badge).

What I do know is that PSI scans everything it can possibly find ( this annoys some people as there is no drive selection option). You can set an "ignore" rule not to display any result on any drive , but the scan goes on irrespective !!

I'm pretty sure it only directly offers a "solution" to C:\ problems it finds in any OS. You need to manually go in and clean out/update/patch any viper's nest on other drives (I think ??), if you can get access.

As I understand dual booting :ie: practically not at all ; then if it separately located and easily accessible , maybe you could load PSI on XP. That may be overkill and might cause clashes (grasping at straws) , as your Vista version has already done the scan & forced the would be Ghost to appear. If you can remove/patch the wicked file then a rescan with your Vista PSI should confirm it.

If you need further answers repost & hope someone else joins in . Let us know your update anyway.

PS: you may wish Adobe Reader 9.0 was a ghost , as patching it is not a given sinecure.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Jul, 2009 20:48
I have just stolen this from wr (on another thread) to make sure you are at maximum security use of PSI
quote wr
"Choose Advanced, under the Settings tab make sure the Show only easy-to-patch programs box IS NOT ticked. In the next box under that make sure that Start the Secunia PSI on boot & Enable Program Monitoring are BOTH TICKED. Advanced mode has a much larger database & therefore will find more programs with insecurities -you do want a secure system-why not take advantage of this FREE program? In the Advanced mode the PSI will give you options to "repair/replace", it doesn't do it for you, rather the options so that YOU can make an intelligent decision as to your needs regarding your system."

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability