Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Browsers Insecure

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Lassie Lamb Chop Browsers Insecure
Member 8th Jul, 2009 03:07
Ranking: -5
User Since: 28th Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 8th Jul, 2009 03:19

XP Home SP3.

I actually use Firefox with IE tabs most of the time but now and again a link will open the old IE6 which is what I thought was the only other browser on my computer. I did get IE7 due to automatic updates and it made my OS go bonkers so rolled back to IE6 as dont use it - I also have not downloaded IE8 for fear it will do the same and actually dont need it.

Now I find PSI new just installed version is telling me both IE6 and IE7 are insecure - no solution.

so what do I do - cant get rid of IE6 as part of the OS and it seems that even though uninstalled IE7 it is lurking around like a bad smell!

If I download IE8 will it solve the issue - no seemingly as IE6 cannot go and IE7 is lurking still and I dont want the blooming thing as I love my Firefox and dont need IE at all.

What to do?

See also 2 other problems with this new version of PSI - after years of clean suddenly everything on first day is insecure!!

Maybe dump PSI is the solution but it was a good program prior all throught the beta stages too. Not good enough on tech side but can find my way around - and I cant think of how to stop the nagging. Ignore is solution but will it mean I have problems in the future?

--
I run XP home SP3 Intel Pentium dual CPU E2160 @1.8hz 1GB RAM
Avast, SAS pro. Spyware Blaster WinPatrolPlus and Online Armour.

jfschafer RE: Browsers Insecure
Member 8th Jul, 2009 04:12
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Jul 2009
I would personally recommend installing IE8 and patching it to latest patch level. Just set Firefox as your default browser (which it will ask you) after the IE install. I've run IE now and haven't had any OS problems...if you just use Firefox, should be a non-issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lassie Lamb Chop RE: Browsers Insecure
Member 8th Jul, 2009 05:35
Score: -5
User Since: 28th Nov 2009
Yes but did you have any problems with IE7 when first it came out?

I did on two separate computer systems - it made both go bonkers and had to uninstall or roll back to IE6. which is stable.

I really do not want to go through that again with IE8 and others have told me not worth the bother as I dont use IE except where some links require it and PSI seemingly does too as wont use FF which is my default.

BTW does it do this with all other browsers?

Also notice my spellcheck doesnt work on here either.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Browsers Insecure
Handling Contributor 8th Jul, 2009 10:25
Score: 11526
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I would strongly advise against uninstalling PSI. It is an outstanding programme & best used in the advanced mode where U get all the information U need to fix any security venerability.

IE.
I only ever use IE & have never had the problems U describe. All versions of IE have a minor issue at the moment. Is your problem highlighted in the secure Browsing Tab with 2 green lights where secunia says there is no solution?

IE6 is still used extensively by industry & is not End of Life. Given your use of IE stick with it if U are happy PROVIDED U only have the minor issue highlighted above. That said, at some stage I would try to upgrade to IE8.

The use of IE by PSI is explained here:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

There is no spell checker. If U want that facility use Notepad or NoteTab then copy & paste.

U cannot copy & paste with the mouse either. U need to use CTRL+C & CTRL+V.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Browsers Insecure
Expert Contributor 8th Jul, 2009 12:58
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 8th Jul, 2009 13:09
I have IE 7 installed but have broken it (shame !) to the extent it won't launch but reads as patched by PSi.
Part of the damage was caused by trying to update to IE8 ; it also tried to kill Explorer and a whole set of start up .dll's.
I only ever use IE now through Firefox IE tab ; of course this mimics IE in all senses and all security risks of IE , rather than those of Ff. So I limit myself to MS/W updates which work just fine (non-automatic).
Spelcheck wooks jist fiune in Google Chrome & via Google Toolbar for Firefok _ when selected.
I don't know if the IE tab would utilise v6 or 7 - but it would be advisable to have them fully patched ; even then , of course , IE will still show as insecure in the "secure browsing" tab !!

Take care
Anthony.

PS: I seem to be able to copy & paste with mouse right click in Chrome ; will need to check Ff.
PPS:GoogleToolBar has updated version for IE & would assume spellcheck works therein as well.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Browsers Insecure
Member 8th Jul, 2009 14:36
Last edited on 8th Jul, 2009 14:40 ieSpell spell checker for IE:
Features
* Completely standalone spell checker for your web browser. Does not require Microsoft Office or any other third party components.
* Integrates flawlessly with Internet Explorer and other IE based browsers.
* Three ways to start the spell check; via the right click context menu, the toolbar or the menu bar.
* Supports a wide range of web applications including simple text forms, rich text editors, forums, blogs, webmail (including Outlook Web Access and Lotus iNotes) and more!
* Spell check in any of the 3 variants (US, UK and Canadian) of the English Language!
* Suggestions are sorted by the degree of closeness with the misspelled word.
* Intelligent suggesting for misspelled words using typographic “looks like” matching.
* Easily add/remove your personal words in ieSpell via an intuitive user interface!
* Organise your personal words in individual custom dictionaries! Share them with your friends and co-workers over the network!
* Integrates with Microsoft Office's proofing tools. Have ieSpell share the same copy of the custom dictionary so that when you add/remove your personal words in ieSpell, the same is reflected in Microsoft Office and vice versa!
* ieSpell suggested a word that you are not familiar with? Look up its meaning in an online dictionary!

http://www.iespell.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Browsers Insecure
Expert Contributor 8th Jul, 2009 16:39
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 8th Jul, 2009 16:48
This thread explains how Secunia "currently" selects the browser it uses :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/219...

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lassie Lamb Chop RE: Browsers Insecure
Member 9th Jul, 2009 08:14
Score: -5
User Since: 28th Nov 2009
Thanks for that I do have 2 green lights - didnt realize the signifigance of those.

I will stick with IE6 as too busy to go through IE8 in case it goes
bonkers like IE7. As i said only every use IE6 if I use a link that
only opens it.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Browsers Insecure
Member 9th Jul, 2009 14:21
Last edited on 9th Jul, 2009 14:23
on 9th Jul, 2009 08:14, Lassie Lamb Chop wrote:
Thanks for that I do have 2 green lights - didnt realize the signifigance of those.

I will stick with IE6 as too busy to go through IE8 in case it goes
bonkers like IE7. As i said only every use IE6 if I use a link that
only opens it.

What you are missing not running IE8:
Accelerators
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer...
Enhanced tabbed browsing
Stay Safer Online

Videos:
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability