xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia shows full suite as "insecure"; downloads are rejected &...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition

This thread has been marked as locked.
trudi Secunia shows full suite as "insecure"; downloads are rejected & remain on desktop since 18april09
Member 8th Jul, 2009 14:53
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
INSTALLATION-PATHS ARE:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE old v 11.0.5612.0
\OUTLOOK.EXE old v 11.0.5510.0
\POWERPNT.EXE old v 11.0.5529.0
\WINWORD.EXE old v 1.0.5604.0
New d'load versions are, respectively:(KB959995)11.0.8302.0 Full File-ENU
(KB945432)11.0.8206.0 Full File-ENU
(KB948988)11.0.8227.0 Full File-ENU
(KB956357)11.0.8237.0 Full File-ENU
Have downloaded twice (26MB each)..now have two versions of each. The comp refuses to recognise an installation position. Rescanning/rebooting..same result. Thanks.

Trudi

Acer TravelMate 5612; XP Pro SP3

eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oy... RE: Secunia shows full suite as "insecure"; downloads are rejected & remain on desktop since 18april09
Member 9th Jul, 2009 12:51
Score: -1
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
Are you able to get updates using Windows Update?

Are you getting an error message when trying to apply the patches, and what do they say?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
trudi RE: Secunia shows full suite as "insecure"; downloads are rejected & remain on desktop since 18april09
Member 9th Jul, 2009 17:17
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Apr 2009
on 9th Jul, 2009 12:51, eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oycYCreI5 wrote:
Are you able to get updates using Windows Update?

Are you getting an error message when trying to apply the patches, and what do they say?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
trudi RE: Secunia shows full suite as "insecure"; downloads are rejected & remain on desktop since 18april09
Member 9th Jul, 2009 17:55
Because of latest probs with Microsoft downloading & installing updates without permission (see Windows Secrets' last two bulletins), I have very recently changed to the third tier prompt " inform me first of any downloads & I shall select & install in my own time" (~ two weeks ago). Prior to that my prompt was one level higher, " download BUT don't install". Strange to relate, I had not received ANY patch-Tuesday d'loads for months & have, accordingly, been relying on Secunia's excellent service thus far ( Secunia score 91% as I write!!!...BUT FOR THESE FOUR M/OFFICE PROGRAMMES).
As I remember the error-message, it seemed to intimate that "it could not find the programmes in order to patch/update/whatever". Sorry I'm sounding a bit vague but don't remember exact jargon...point is, Secunia's "fetch & install" did not work...TWICE, for the SAME issue! Most Secunia patches have previously been wonderfully simple & fast. Hope this helps.
Trudi.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia shows full suite as "insecure"; downloads are rejected & remain on desktop since 18april09
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2009 22:01
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 9th Jul, 2009 22:30
Following WS , I also have completely stopped updates (there are things I do not want to download) and rely on the old OSI emails & PSI scan plus a monthly visit to "Microsoft" updates - more complete than "Windows updates - to keep patched. OK so far (crosses fingers) .

Regards your problem , if I read the numbers correctly , you have 2003 versions . There are many threads on your problem - you could look here : -

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/216...

& when you have read the thread , use the link in the second post .

Maurice Joyce is the person most likely to help you , but maybe these two threads will move you in the right direction . Hopefully he'll appear , if you get stuck .

Sorry I can't be of any real help.

Take care
Anthony

PS: just noticed that you posted at the end of the second thread. You are looking in the right places - trying to update to 2007 viewers may be a start - as per the link I've given . Don't forget to rerun MS updates as many times as necessary after a download .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia shows full suite as "insecure"; downloads are rejected & remain on desktop since 18april09
Handling Contributor 10th Jul, 2009 00:06
Score: 11743
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@trudi
The link U have been given to use is for Office Viewers. Correct me if I am wrong but U are the registered owner of Microsoft Office Student & Teacher Edition 2003? I believe your problem is somewhat different and U certain do not require Microsoft Office Viewers 2007.

I take it U have followed @HBR's excellent advice & installed all the high priority updates from Microsoft update? If not U should go here:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/def...
click the Custom button - install all high priority updates & any optional software that Office depends on.

If any installations take place rerun PSI.

What is required now is the paths to the files PSI still considers insecure.

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, please follow there guidelines using the
ADVANCED interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
* Click on the + sign of the programme to “expand’ it.
* Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file.

The link U have been given also points to the Microsoft site to download Microsoft Office 2007 Viewers. I strongly advise U not to install them. As a registered used Of Office 2003 U require a Compatibility Pack to be installed once we have cleared up your 2003 problem.The link is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jul, 2009 11:56
HI Maurice

Am owner of office student & teacher 2003. I initiate a weekly visit to MS/Win updates (as they no longer inform me!!)& install MY requirements, esp priority & security items...never has an update for my office suite been proffered...problem was first intimated by Secunia (they're excellent).

My installation paths were given in my opening post...this may help you if you have not seen them.

I went to MS office updates 30mins ago..they recommend I upgrade to "office 2003 student & teacher SP3" @110MB. Still don't u'stand why this office revamp, requested by Secunia, has been so convoluted. Any change to your recommendation following this post? Thanks for your assistance to date Maurice...& the rest of you guys too. Appreciated.

Trudi

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia shows full suite as "insecure"; downloads are rejected & remain on desktop since 18april09
Handling Contributor 10th Jul, 2009 12:17
Score: 11743
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
U must install Office SP3

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jul, 2009 13:18
Hi Maurice,

Thought that would be the solution...shall do shortly

Hope your MCC take the "ashes" this Summer!

Thanks ALL for the support!!!

Trudi.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability