Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: The Rookie's Thread

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
DAVID BINKO The Rookie's Thread
Member 9th Jul, 2009 06:29
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 10th Jul, 2009 16:17

Hi, one and all,

I've owned a computer of one sort or another for several years, but I have only really done much more than e-mail this year, especially the last 2-3 months. Why? I have many ignorance issues and never knew who to ask questions to, or even how to ASK a question. This forum has been a real Godsend for me and don't I know it!
I really need a place for the truly beginner's questions. For example,
I have a good many programs in my computer that I would at least try to use if I just knew how to get them to start. I would also like to know how to handle just the opposite issue-suppressing a program until I'm good and ready to use it.
I know I'm not the only one who needs a place to ask these questions.
Everybody started with "I think, therefore I am" and went from there
with the help of mentors of whatever sort. There is a lot of talent in this forum and a lot of people like me. Everybody loves to function in an advisory capacity. Put it to use.

Dave Binko

--
Dave Binko, a.k.a. Crash Computer
Windows XP Home Edition,SP3 (build 2600)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor: 1.9Ghz,896 MB RAM
Micro-Star International, Ltd MS-7253 1.00
Built by RJ Ender, Cedar Rapids, IA, July 2007
O.S. clean installed May 2009 after 2nd crash this year

eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oy... RE: The Rookie's Thread
Member 9th Jul, 2009 13:12
Score: -1
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
Finally a question I know the answer to. :-)

To start a program, click on "Start" in the lower left corner of the screen. Then click on "All Programs" (at least in Windows XP). That should bring up your list of installed programs. Click the icon of the program you wish to start.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: The Rookie's Thread
Member 9th Jul, 2009 14:34
Dave, next lesson.

1.Learn to use Google:
Overview
http://www.googleguide.com/category/overview
Part I: Query Input
http://www.googleguide.com/category/query-input

2. Keep an up to date anti virus application like avast!
3. Have an anti malware application like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM)
4. Have a Security monitor like WinPatrol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DAVID BINKO RE: The Rookie's Thread
Member 9th Jul, 2009 19:29
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Jun 2009
Hello HBR and YoKenny,

It's gratifying that at least two people got the point, replied quickly, and offered stuff I can use.
1. HBR it's THAT simple? It applies to me as I run XP. That's a good example of failing to make a connection in my own mind.
2. YoKenny Plenty to follow up. I use AVG 8.5 free edition, full scan every night. Malwarebytes has been indispensible for a long time now. I actually bought the backup CD. Long story, that, maybe another time.
The rest is research material that looks like stuff I should know.
One last thing- How do I get rid of these verdammit red Edit buttons?
Windows XP home, sp3
Custom-built computer by RJ Ender in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Clean install of o.s May 2009 due to second major crash of 2009.

Dave Binko

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jul, 2009 00:27
Last edited on 10th Jul, 2009 00:35
on 9th Jul, 2009 19:29, DAVID BINKO wrote:
2. YoKenny Plenty to follow up. I use AVG 8.5 free edition, full scan every night.

I used to run AVG 7.5 but when it went to 8.0 it would not run on the system I had then and found avast!

I am glad I did as the avast! forum is helpful and the Moderators are good not like the abrasive moderation that AVG users have to put up with because they are not PC geniuses.

(unknown source)
One last thing- How do I get rid of these verdammit red Edit buttons?

If you mean the red Edit buttons here then they are for editing your posts.

Have a look at Secunia Profile then scroll down to:
Signature
Fill in this field with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create.

Fill in the Signature field with whatever you want to appear in your post's Signature.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jul, 2009 16:16
Last edited on 10th Jul, 2009 16:22
Hello Rookies and Sympathizers,

I'm getting lots of good stuff from this forum. Special thanks go out to Anthony Wells and Yokenny, but there are plenty of others.
I was busy yesterday:
1. Reinstalled IE8 and my toolbars, to clean up the random modifications made over time.
2. Installed WinPatrol; it's my kind of program.
3. Got rid of Adobe Reader and installed Foxit. I got the Secunia Seal of Approval for Foxit right out of the bag.
4. Replaced AVG with Avast! 4.8. I used to use Avast!, but when my computer was reloaded last May the tech put in AVG 8.5 Free and I just let inertia have it's way. Thanks to forum help and Revo Uninstaller I was able to confidently uninstall AVG. Yokenny, you must be psychic?
5. I found I had two Realplayer versions installed. I extracted the old and verified the new was in place correctly. It works fine. Secunia doesn't recognize Realplayer SP v.1 Beta, Build 12.0.0.196, so I submitted it.
I'm down to two Insecure programs, both indispensible Microsoft items.
Today I really must make the transformation from computer addict to Susie Homemaker.Reason is entirely too obvious, if you were here.
Keep the wisdom flowing. I've learned more in the last two weeks than all I knew before. Nifty learning curve, that.

'Bye for now,
Dave

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: The Rookie's Thread
Expert Contributor 10th Jul, 2009 16:23
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
My pleasure Dave , y'all take care ,
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jul, 2009 19:42
on 10th Jul, 2009 16:16, DAVID BINKO wrote:
Yokenny, you must be psychic?

I'm not psychic just seen a lot of what malware and other junk people install on their systems because of default installs and the need of application installers to have their applications auto-start because they believe users are inexperienced and need to be guided like zombies.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 04:18
Last edited on 11th Jul, 2009 04:21
Hello YoKenny,

I've got my Avast! 4.8 in and registered. The computer runs faster and rather more predictably now. I was running avast when I had my May computer crash and the repair guy installed AVG Free8.5 . I sure wish I knew why I waited so long to convert.
You've done well by me in the realm of software. Now is the time to appeal to you and anybody out there who wants to speak up to suggest to me one (or more?) possibilities for an anti-spyware program for routine use. The repair guy put in SUPER Antispyware Free (!) and I tried it and don't care for it. Is Malwarebytes appropriate? I found it to be a darn good rescue software but never thought about it as an everyday
product for just that reason.
To one and all, I have the computer running like it hasn't done in quite some time, knock on wood. The forum people get almost all the credit.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 12:58
SUPER Antispyware Free is OK but I find it only good to remove malware not found by other means.

Malwarebytes is excellent and I have 2 licences so that the real-time protection is running.

What I use and recommend is listed in my signature.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 15:42
Hi again,YoKenny,

Once again you have been a source of useful information. Since you use the registered version of Malwarebytes with Avast!, I infer that bad
interactions are not a problem. I may dig into the grocery money and register mine.
I noted an increase in running speed when I changed antivirus from AVG 8.5 Free to Avast! 4.8 free. I also ran my first scan with Registry Patrol 3.0 and the computer performance improved a bit more. The latter I hoped for, but I really didn't much expect to see a result unless it was disagreeable.
I downloaded Malwarebytes one night when a click of the mouse in a rough neighborhood threw me face first into Antivirus 360. Almost everything I tried took me to the website for a line of fine dinnerware, but on a tip I managed to find and download and run Malwarebytes. It stopped the seizures. It has done much the same thing again, which may explain why I have thought of it as emergencyware.
Again, thanks for the help.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 21:02
Hi to all the forum,

I learned a couple things this morning:
1. The Avast! forum has been hacked. I've been told it's a good forum
so I'm disappointed about having to wait for order to be restored to try it.What else is new? A while back I lost a MasterCard when somebody
hacked Symantec. I was lucky in having no trouble beyond disputing a charge and replacing my card, but I figure if somebody can hack a major
security entity like Symantec, anybody can be had. Take Secunia seriously.
2. I like the Revo Uninstaller customer support people. This morning I sent them a question, and within an hour I had an acceptable answer.
About two hours later I got another reply. My question must have piqued somebody's curiosity because they came back with more details, and
ways to approach the problem if Revo Uninstaller couldn't deal with it.
I referred to a specific question, and they came back with program-specific answers.
3. I need to get a life. It seems that everybody but me and the true hard-cores have things to do this weekend that don't involve PSI.
Actually, it isn't quite that bad. If I start an antivirus scan I'll
find something to do soon enough. I have plenty of backlog to work from.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2009 22:28
Last edited on 11th Jul, 2009 22:29 Dave

1. The Avast! forum has been not been hacked as I was just there:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46722.0

2. Thankfilly I have not had to resort to Revo Uninstaller

3. It is mizerably humid here and thunderstorms are called for so my Sciatica is driving me nuts so I sit here with the noise of the air conditioner blaring away.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jul, 2009 16:27
Last edited on 13th Jul, 2009 16:43
Hello YoKenny--

Without remembering what I said I registered with the Avast! forum last night. Truth varies with the source, and all things being equal I am more apt to believe you as you have not done me wrong otherwise.
Revo Uninstaller has been highly useful to me while I have acquired
skills which give me other options. Now I can do a few things Revo cannot, and have done so to my advantage. Last week I found THREE installations of Google Earth in Program Files. Secunia PSI was more
helpfull, and I was able to strip all three out of the computer Program
Files using only my own powers. You helped. Recently I reinstalled IE8 and all my toolbars to get rid of the many random changes I had made. I found WinPatrol to be helpful, and it allowed me to abort at least two "features" I truly didn't want. I've added Malwarebytes to my daily cleanup procedure.
We have had an unusually easy summer, but now as the growing season progresses it's gotten more humid.We are a major source of corn and soybeans, and corn transpiration really kicks in around July 1.I take a prescription for allergies year-round, and corn pollination time is NOT my favorite time of year. I take Cymbalta as a treatment for a mental disorder, Bipolar II (Atypical manic depression), and since I have taken it my sciatica has been nicely suppressed and I can drive again. It sounds like yours is much more severe than mine so I hope you can get some serious relief somewhere.
Thanks for writing.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2009 22:24
Where did everybody go?

I have a pretty basic question. It should be obvious, I suppose, but it isn't, to me. I have a number of programs which for one reason or another I would like to completely suppress unless and until I choose to
call them into service. I'm open to suggestions...

I have a movie-clip folder with a lot of files. I am open to suggestions on how to create suitable folders so I can spread them out for safekeeping and categorizing, and how to transfer files from one folder to another. A recent incident really brought this to the front burner. I finally got a new program to open for the first time. Mixed emotions here. It ran fine, but it pumped over 3000 thumbnail stills
into my video folder. For lack of a better way, I'm grubbing out the stils manually, two at a time. I know how to avoid doing THAT again, in principle, but that takes me back to my original question. How do I create the appropriate folders and manipulate the files?
Suggestions anybody, PLEASE....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jeff-Hook RE: The Rookie's Thread
Member 19th Jul, 2009 02:22
User Since: 12th Dec 2008
Is this thread relevant to Secunia PSI? If it doesn't dicuss Secunia is it entitled to occupy space here?

Jeff Hook, NJ, USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jul, 2009 21:49
There are plenty of threads here which are not directed toward Secunia PSI, and some which are directed quite specifically the Secunia PSI.
The Rookie's Thread is, and was originally defined as, a site for relative beginners like me to air questions and answers. A quick check will show you plenty of other sites devoted to non-Secunia issues. Nobody else has had a problem with that modus operandi that I know of.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oy... RE: The Rookie's Thread
Member 7th Aug, 2009 09:39
Score: -1
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
Last edited on 7th Aug, 2009 09:39
I would recommend that any newcomer to updating/patching start by watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roTgk_SrMw&feature...

I hope you'll find it as interesting to watch as I did. :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Aug, 2009 21:06
Hi HBR,

Thanks for the link and recommendation. I will be sure to follow up on it. One can learn too much, but with computers it's highly unlikely.

I FINALLY got everything but IE8 patched at the same time. Took me long enough. I have a vague sense that any really usable browser is going to have some vulnerabilities, however small. I just don't see how anybody could successfully defend against ALL the bad guys and have a usable product at the same time.

I'm learning, slowly. PSI and it's users have taught me a lot. I did something last night I wouldn't have dreamed of a month ago - I put a desktop shortcut for System Restore in place, for convenience. PSI and the users come in here: you all taught me how to follow file paths.
I used Search Companion to find the necessary path and from there it was duck soup. I had my choice of three paths to use, but I have misgivings about any path that starts out C:\ oldfiles\oldfiles\...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer